MISTRESS OF FLAME

By CeCeLib

[ BOOK 1 OF AZITERA: YTHER'S QUEEN ] Consumed by avarice, the four human kingdoms-the Infernal Empire, the Ki... More

SYNOPSIS
SOLLEL
AZITERA MAP
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
EPILOGUE
SPECIAL CHAPTER: Rescue
SPECIAL CHAPTER: A peek into the past
WRITER'S REVEAL: How the Azitera Series came to be
[FREE PREVIEW] - The Descendant of Sappher and the Former Elf Princess
SPECIAL CHAPTER: The Descendant of Sappher and the Former Elf Princess
SPECIAL CHAPTER: Bathtub (R-18)
SPECIAL CHAPTER: The Mistress of the Wind

CHAPTER 36

85.2K 8.2K 5.1K
By CeCeLib

CHAPTER 36

CIRA HEALED Hakken the moment she saw him bleeding, while Sollel just watched and stayed by Hakken's side, watching him wince and glance at her from time to time as if he couldn't get enough of Sollel's face.

Now that everyone already saw her hair and eyes, Sollel didn't have any plans to cover herself with a cloak again. And so she was standing beside Hakken without anything covering her face, which flustered Hakken even though he was injured.

Cira just shook her head after catching Hakken stealing glances at the queen. She knew that the queen was a gorgeous lady, so she let Hakken be. Who wouldn't like Queen Sollel anyway? With her fiery bloodred hair and soft but fierce eyes, the Mistress of Flame was stunning.

Then out of nowhere, a figure came out of the forest and ran toward Sollel.

"Mamma!" It was Naya, and she immediately launched herself at Sollel.

Out of four people around Sollel and Naya, there were two who had a weird expression on their faces—Hakken and Cira.

Cira pouted, jealous that she was not given a permission to call Her Highness Mamma, while Hakken was shocked beyond belief when he heard the girl called Sollel Mamma.

"You..." Hakken couldn't continue his question and just stared at Sollel as if his tongue had been cut, his eyes sporting disbelief.

Sollel glanced at Hakken as she hugged Naya. "What?"

Hakken's eyes fell on Naya who had her arms around Sollel's waist, and then Hakken looked at Sollel again, still speechless. He couldn't ask the question he wanted to ask.

It was Cira who put an end to Hakken's silent suffering. "It's not hers, Hakken. You can relax."

Hakken actually let out an audible sigh of relief that everyone who heard it nearly laughed.

"Were you scared?" Sollel asked Naya softly while caressing her hair.

Naya shook her head. "I wasn't. I hid in the wagon like Mamma said."

Sollel smiled softly, her eyes and face softening as her smile. Hakken, who was watching the two, was enthralled at the scene. It was beautiful—Sollel's smile was beautiful, tender, and loving, far from the woman who hated humans.

Hakken was staring too much at Sollel that it was bothered Cira, so she smacked Hakken's shoulder.

"Stop staring at Her Highness." Cira tsked. "You're going to make her uncomfortable."

"No. I don't mind," Sollel remarked and looked at Hakken. "He can look at me anytime he wants."

Hakken's lips parted at the same time Cira pouted.

Then Xeke chimed in while looking at Hakken and Sollel flatly. "I'm not against you two flirting, but can we leave first and escape before you continue? It's dangerous out here."

Everyone nodded and agreed with Xeke. And in a short while, everyone left the clearing and went to the place in the forest where they hid the wagon and Naya.

Grath guided everyone to the wagon. Cira confidently offered to guide them, but Sollel and Grath shut her offer down, immediately making Cira sulk.

"How about my grandfather?" Zassia asked while walking in the forest with everyone. "Is grandpa safe?"

"He will be," Xeke answered. "His defense is strong."

Zassia looked down at her feet. "I hope so." Then she added a prayer like it was the most normal thing to do. "Mistress of Flame, Queen Sollel, please bless my grandfather with your indomitable protection. I pray."

Everyone looked at Zassia awkwardly after they heard her prayer. Only then Zassia realized what she just said and blushed as she tried to explain herself to Sollel.

"It's okay," Sollel replied to calm Zassia's panicky voice. "I've been hearing you pray to me every day since we met. I'm used to it by now...I think."

Zassia blushed profusely even more when she remembered her prayers. Who would have thought that the queen she was praying to literally heard her prayers? She was too embarrassed! She didn't think of it earlier because she was overwhelmed by so many emotions, crying and sobbing her heart out. But now, when the queen pointed it out, Zassia just wanted the land she was walking on to swallow her whole.

"So we're not going to talk about the fact that we've been traveling with one of Yther's queens?" Xeke spoke quietly, and everyone stopped on their tracks.

When no one spoke, Xeke continued as he faced Sollel.

"You're a myth," Xeke said in a matter-of-fact voice. "According to my father, you died while razing hell on human lands, so why are you still alive...and healthy?" As a descendant of Sappher, Xeke was not intimidated by Sollel's presence. "I—we, fought according to your plan. I think we deserve an explanation, don't you think so, Your Highness?"

Cira was about to chastise Xeke for interrogating Sollel, but Sollel spoke.

"Razing hell on human lands, you say..." A cold smile appeared on Sollel's lips as she stared back at Xeke. "Did you ever wonder if that was true? Did you not wonder why humans are still alive while I'm pronounced dead? Do you really think there is a human being in Azitera that could stop my flame and kill me? Trust me, Lord Xeke, If I wanted to raze hell, the whole Azitera will burn for eternity and not even the warlords of Sappher could stop me."

Xeke quietly gulped at the intensity of Queen Sollel's stare. The anger that burned in her eyes, the rage and vengeance that swirled in their depths...they were fierce.

Xeke took a deep breath and looked at everyone, gauging their thoughts and opinions about the matter.

"The Yther queens nurtured and protected us demi-humans from harm." Grath spoke when Xeke's eyes landed on him. "But even without that, I have already sworn my fealty to Her Highness. I don't care about what she did in the past. I don't believe them anyway. And whatever the queen chooses, whether she wants to burn the whole Azitera or not, I will support Her Highness through and through."

"I share the same thoughts with Grath," Zassia said quietly and gripped her staff. "I don't care about humans. It's time for them to pay for the lies they spread and for all the things they've done."

When Xeke's eyes landed on Cira, Cira shrugged, and Xeke was not surprised. "I don't really care if all humans died. I'm not fond of them in the first place. They're selfish and greedy. They always want more. I know Her Highness longer than any of you have, and all I could say is that...if she wanted to burn someone or something and raze hell, I don't think anyone can stop her. So don't you dare betray her." Cira's eyes became sharp as she looked into Xeke's eyes. "I would kill you myself if you did."

Sollel was beyond moved by her companion's words, but there was one thing that was bothering her—everyone saw her as a powerful being, but the truth was...she was not.

I used to be, but not anymore. The humans stripped her of her strength by imprisoning her and chaining her to moonrite stones. Maybe in her companions' standard, she was strong. But to her standard, she was still weak. Only one-fourth of her power was recovered after taking that flame sorcerer's essence. It still paled in comparison to her strength before.

"And you?" Xeke's voice pulled Sollel out from her reverie, and she saw Xeke looking and asking Hakken. "You're okay with all of this?"

Hakken was about to answer, but Sollel beat him to it.

"No need to ask Hakken." She spoke. "Our agreement ends in Ager, and it's time to say goodbye."

Huh? Hakken's eyes widened at Sollel as if he couldn't believe what he just heard; his eyes even sported disbelief and a little hint of betrayal.

Sollel knew just by looking at Hakken that he didn't want anything to end. Sollel didn't want to finish anything either, but she had to do it. It was their agreement. It was the best course of action at the moment.

"Thank you, Hakken, for everything." Sollel left Naya's side to go to Hakken and softly caressed his face. A sweet and melancholy goodbye. "I've already put you in so much trouble. I don't want to drag you into my mess. You're a hunter, and now you're being hunted because of me. I'm sorry, but I can't do that to you again. We will pay you one hundred gold coins per our agreement. After that, let's cut ties for your sake."

Hakken just gaped at Sollel like he couldn't believe her. He was too shocked to even resist when Cira handed Sollel a pouch filled with one hundred gold coins and Sollel placed it on his hand.

Hakken wanted to speak, but no words were coming out of his mouth. What's he going to say? This was their agreement—bring them safely to Ager, and that's it. It was the deal. Though aside from shock, Hakken couldn't hide his disappointment. After everything he's done, he was not expecting a cold goodbye from the woman he adored.

Yes. Cold. Even though she was looking at him and touching his face, Hakken still found it cold. He could tell from her eyes. They were emotionless, as if she was saying a rehearsed speech.

"I—"

"We'll part ways here." Sollel dropped her hand that was caressing Hakken's face. "Thank you for everything, Hakken."

It was not only Hakken who was shocked, Zassia and Grath as well. Even Cira who provided the money was stunned for a moment, but Xeke felt different. Instead of feeling surprised at what just happened, he felt pity for the guy.

Hakken clearly liked the queen. It was too obvious. And now the queen was throwing him away.

"I'm still useful," Hakken whispered, but it fell on deaf ears as everyone left, guided by Sollel.

Hakken blinked when all he could hear was his breathing in the middle of the forest. He was all alone—he was left alone like a useless baggage.

Hakken looked at the pouch filled with gold coins in his hand, and for no reason, he started laughing humorlessly like something funny just happened.

My lady...do you really think one hundred gold coins is enough to keep me away?

♕♕♕

ZASSIA KEPT LOOKING back as the wagon moved. Grath and Xeke were in front, manning the horse, while the women were inside the wagon.

"Y-your Highness." Zassia hesitated before her voice broke the silence. "Is it really okay to leave Hakken? I mean..." Zassia didn't want to say it, but she couldn't stop herself. "Hakken looked like he was in shock."

Sollel nodded as Naya cuddled beside her. "It's okay. It was our agreement."

"But it doesn't make sense," Xeke interjected, clearly not buying Sollel's reason. "Clearly, you know how useful that hunter is. He's a good fighter, and you need good soldiers that can and will fight for you, am I correct? So why?"

Cira glared at Xeke's back. "Don't question Her Highness's decision."

Xeke turned his whole body to face the women inside the wagon. "I just want to know why she threw away a good soldier that she can use to her advantage." Xeke looked at Sollel. "Unless you cared for your hunter more than you should."

Xeke said those last words to confirm the queen's intention; it was more like a wild guess, just trying to gauge the queen's reaction.

And her reaction was nothing he imagined.

Sollel smiled at Xeke. "Isn't it normal to keep the people important to you away from harm?"

Xeke's lips actually parted in surprise.

Sollel continued, "Don't get me wrong. Cira, Zassia, Grath, and Naya are important to me too, but they all have valid and solid reasons to stay close to me. But Hakken..." Sollel looked down, her face solemn. "He...he has no reason to stay. It was just money."

Xeke snorted. "Money? Really? You really think that?"

Sollel didn't answer and just let out a small smile—a smile that Xeke couldn't decipher.

Knowing that the woman in front of him was Her Highness, Queen Sollel, Mistress of Flame, Xeke was vigilant and was trying to read her, but for some reason, he couldn't understand her. He couldn't understand her movement. Something feels off, Xeke knew that, but he couldn't pinpoint what it was.

What is it that she wants? Xeke couldn't help asking himself desperately as he continued manning the horse. His father told him that the queens of Yther were meticulous and wicked beings, that they would do anything to get what they want. And after talking to one of the queens, he knew his father was right.

What did father tell me about the Mistress of Flame? Think!

Xeke tried to remember his father's teachings about Yther's queens. He hated it so much before because he believed them to be dead—a myth—and it was no use learning about them. But now the Mistress of Flame appeared in front of him, blood and flesh.

Then Xeke remembered the person who got him into this mess. Does he know we're helping the Mistress of Flame? If he did, what's he planning? Xeke felt like his head was about to explode, thinking about the indecipherable beings around him. He felt as if he was in between two rocks, trapping him in the middle without clear intentions. It's maddening!

If not for the elf in the wagon, Xeke would've bailed already. This mess was too huge.

Xeke sighed, and Grath picked up on it.

"I don't know what your father told you and why he told you those stories about the queens, but..." Grath tightened his hold on the horse's rein as he spoke quietly so only they could hear. "The Yther queens were beings who protected everyone who needs it. Including humans. All the races in Azitera have some sort of an ability that makes them special, excepts for humans. They were weak and fragile. So the Queens of Yther decided to bless humans with their essence, giving birth to human sorcerers and sorceresses.

"Now tell me, Lord Xeke, would beings like that rebel and raze hell? If you ask me, when the queens of Yther disappeared, humans gained so much from it. Wielding the elemental essence that was given to them, the humans scoured the land and hunted all living things that they considered monsters—like me and other races. Anyone who didn't look like them are hunted to extinction and sold as slaves. Humans have the strength and the numbers to threaten any race. Now they're trying to conquer the Dwarven Kingdom, and after that, the Elven Kingdom will follow. And if they succeeded, do you think Lady Cira will not be hunted and sold as a slave simply for being an elf?"

Xeke's eyes widened, and he paled. He didn't think that far ahead, like Grath.

Cira...

"I'm not saying that your father is wrong, Lord Xeke," Grath continued. "But you're not a child anymore. You can investigate and decide for yourself now. Look around you. You said you're a traveler. That means you have seen how humans oppressed other races, how they exploited their weaknesses to enslave them. And for that, they deserve to be burned."

Xeke was silent...thinking. Does he know about this? Is this why he was willing to betray everyone? Xeke had no answer. I need answers. As Xeke thought of that, he formulated a plan.

♕♕♕

CIRA WAS HAPPY seeing the queen not hiding under the cloak anymore. Her bloodred hair and eyes looked stunning and beautiful and proud. But her happiness was laced with worry and fear.

The four kingdoms were clearly a threat to Her Highness and the other queens. As long as they have the moonrite stone, the queens of Yther would have no chance of winning this war. The past will only repeat itself—with Yther's queens losing again.

I can't let that happen. I must do something!

With that in mind, Cira, who sucked at direction, planned the direction she'd take to be able to help Her Highness, Queen Sollel.

After finalizing the things she had to do, she sighed inwardly because she knew how difficult it would be. But it was the only way to assure the victory of Yther's queens.

I can do this!

♕♕♕

ZASSIA COULDN'T LOOK at Queen Sollel who was sitting on the wagon in front of her. Even at that moment, she didn't feel worthy to sit this close to the queen she and all the villagers worshipped. Zassia was feeling lightheaded, containing her nervousness as she stole glances at the queen.

The queen was indeed stunning. Her hair and eye color were different from the paintings her village had. It was more vibrant, but it was beautiful, nonetheless.

Almost immediately, Zassia looked down when her eyes met her highness'. She couldn't look at the Queen as her teacher anymore. It's "the" queen. The one they worshipped. The one they prayed too. It was so surreal, but still, she was lucky to meet her.

The queen was as kindhearted as the tales she heard from her grandmother. She hated humans, but she still blessed her with her flame so she could save herself when she was surrounded by beasts. Zassia was overwhelmed with emotion again.

Ever since she left her village—no, ever since she ran away from her village like a coward, it was the first time that she was thankful for running away, for escaping. She regretted her actions, but she was thankful because she met the only hope she had.

Grandpa, I hope you're here to see the queen. I'm sure you'll be the happiest to meet her.

Zassia looked at the queen again with reverence. My goddess... she thought. She felt safe and secure knowing that the one she worshipped was right in front of her, and the will to be stronger didn't diminish.

I have to be stronger so I can help Her Highness. With determination, Zassia nodded to herself as she swore to be stronger for the queen she revered.

♕♕♕

HAKKEN RAISED his head while sitting on a large tree branch when he saw a needletail bird flying toward him. He leisurely raised his arm when the bird neared him.

When it landed on his arm, he took the rolled paper strapped to its feet and opened it.

Continue the hunt.

He sighed and crumpled the paper before letting the bird go. He was not planning to stop anyway.

Hakken jumped from the tree branch to the ground, and then he started walking toward the direction where he wanted to be.

Passing a part of the forest that was destroyed because of his fight with the warlord, he glanced at the blood on the ground. It was his, and some were from the warlord. He injured the warlord, after all, but his injury was more severe. The warlord nearly ripped his stomach apart.

He felt the warlord's anger at the end of their fight. The warlord was livid at him, like it was not a fight between warriors but a personal scuffle, which Hakken didn't understand at all.

Thanks to Cira, he was healed.

Hakken sighed and looked at the direction his lady took before he turned around and went in the opposite direction.

Looks like I won't be seeing you for a while, my lady.

♕♕♕

HAKKERAN WENT back to the city, wounded. And when he saw Kar, Hakkeran didn't need to ask to know what happened with his fight.

"Where's the Mistress of Flame?" Kar instantly asked Hakkeran, agitated.

Hakkeran showed his bleeding gut. "She had a strong warrior with her...and a descendant of Sappher."

Kar's face darkened. "The one with the dagger?"

Hakkeran nodded. "Hmm. I don't know why he's siding with them, but we can't rule out the possibility of treason."

I'm sorry, Xeke. This is for the best.

"Treason..." Kar gritted his teeth. "He betrayed us..."

Hakkeran nodded. "Yes. He did. He fought against us from beginning to end. If that was not betrayal, then what is?"

The end of Kar's war hammer slammed into the ground, and the ground cracked like it was resonating with the general's anger. "The old general fled. He's now being hunted. He can't escape."

Hakkeran nodded and sighed. "We have to gather out forces and hunt the Mistress of Flame down. Only the elites should go and hunt her. She may be weak, but she's still dangerous. Her blood of flame is scary. Even I backed away."

Kar thought about it before his eyebrow furrowed. "Flame sorcerers might not be a good idea."

"Just bring a powerful one just in case," Hakkeran advised, "and the rest should be high-tier water or wind sorcerers."

Kar nodded. "I will arrange it and speak to the king."

Hakkeran nodded and leaned on the wall. "Then I'll contact the emperor."

Kar nodded and left while Hakkeran closed his eyes to rest them a little.

While he was trying to rest, a woman with bloodred hair and eyes entered his mind, and small smile made its way to Hakkeran's lips.

"I found you again, Sollel."

CECELIB | C.C.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 462 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
24.9K 1K 35
With the war against Hybern over, Prythian is finally able to breathe. That is, until four women are brought into a dream where they discover that th...
5.1K 177 21
Nyx, now 27 years old, opened a portal to another world. And met Amber, a human girl with no knowledge of the Fae World. A deep friendship is the res...
124K 3.6K 53
A year has passed since Seren Marzena returned to the Night Court with her mate, Azriel. Their time of rest is coming to an end. Plans long kept sile...