catgirl ! broken (nightwing)

By lucyluhvs

book 1 out of 3 in my main catgirl series ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── summary: Ca... More

«intro»
«playlist»
«prologue»
«chapter one: a dangerous game»
«chapter two: an old enemy»
«chapter three: unexpected run-ins»
«chapter four: brotherly bonding»
«chapter five: new sparring partners»
«chapter six: missing information»
«chapter seven: aye-aye captain»
«chapter eight: making it work»
«chapter nine: two cats in one place»
«chapter ten: the calm before the storm»
«chapter eleven: rogue»
«chapter twelve: returning nightmares»
«chapter thirteen: representing»
«chapter fourteen: therapy»
«chapter fifteen: an old friend»
«chapter sixteen: dancing with a stranger»
«chapter seventeen: surprising connection»
«chapter eighteen: coming clean»
«chapter nineteen: there was some doubt»
«chapter twenty: a new ally»
«chapter twenty-one: alfred saves the day»
«chapter twenty-two: husband and wife»
«chapter twenty-three: walking a thin line»
«chapter twenty-four: joining the circus»
«chapter twenty-six: the truth comes out»
«chapter twenty-seven: a cold bus ride»
«chapter twenty-eight: rogue returns»
«chapter twenty-nine: Broken»
«chapter thirty: nightmares and late-night talks»
«chapter thirty-one: where it all started»
«chapter thirty-two: an unexpected visitor»
«chapter thirty-three: facing the demon»
«chapter thirty-four: rescuing the team»
«chapter thirty-five: pushing people's buttons»
«chapter thirty-six: finding out the truth»
«chapter thirty-seven: a complicated situation»
«chapter thirty-eight: holding a grudge»
«chapter thirty-nine: wally's plan»
«chapter forty: a dance battle»
«epilogue»
SEQUEL IS OUT
QUESTION AND ANSWER
Please read even if you havent read all
I did enter the Wattys
*Important*
SURPRISE

«chapter twenty-five: a necessary risk»

5.4K 219 564
By lucyluhvs

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

Despite being worried about having a nightmare, I couldn't help but sleep.

In fact, I slept so soundlessly that apparently, the others didn't decide to wake me until it was two in the afternoon.

Being so tired caused me to not even dream, which I was thankful for.

So when Artemis woke me up by shaking my arm, and I darted awake with a knife in my hand and ready to aim at someone, the others were slightly alarmed.

"Woah, okay, no need to get violent," Artemis said backing up.

I looked at her confused before I realized I even had the knife in my hand.

"Oh, sorry," I said, putting the knife down and rubbing my eyes, my mask still in place from the night before.

"Where do you even keep them?" Will wondered out loud.

I didn't answer, I just stretched and opened my eyes after a few moments.

"What time is it?"

"Two in the afternoon."

"What?!" I exclaim, "why on earth didn't you guys wake me?"

They share a look before Conner says, "Well, you seemed tired. We all woke up pretty early and figured you would wake up soon and you just... didn't. You didn't even move." He explains.

"I thought you were dead for a good bit," Will adds.

"He made Nightwing check your pulse and everything," Artemis says with a hand on her hip and amusement in her eyes, "You slapped his hand away before he could even feel your pulse and we knew that you were fine."

I bite the inside of my cheek and look at Nightwing who wasn't exactly meeting my eyes.

"Well, what did you find out while I was sleeping? And why did you actually feel like it was better I wasn't there for it." I ask again.

Conner looks guilty, Nightwing isn't meeting my eyes and while Artemis isn't the worst liar, she was way too casual about the knife I had, which means I have a reason to be mad at her. And Will, he couldn't care less so he didn't really give anything away, but...

"We just went out and got some names, and some leads. We just asked around." Artemis lies.

"So you guys had a talk about me then," I say nodding my head, "Great,"

They probably didn't want me anywhere near the lends to so I don't know the game plan and can't warn anyone.

"Can you blame us?" Conner says, and I know he is just saying it so the others don't catch on that he knows I'm innocent. "You have been acting normal here, but you are hell-bent on causing problems back at the Cave."

"Glad you guys got to compare notes," I remark, standing up and grabbing my coat.

Nightwing grabs my arm to stop me, "Cat, you can't be mad. Do you see it's sort of giving us whiplash, the back and forth?"

"I do." I agree, "I do because I'm experiencing it too, from you guys. You spent this whole trip trying to get me to relax about having to trust you guys and then you decide I'm not trustworthy."

"We didn't say that, we-"

"Save it for later, after the mission. I don't want to talk about it anymore and unless you want to explain to Haly where your loving wife went, you should respect that." I say taking his hand off of me before walking to the door, "I'm going to get something to eat, not going to backstab the team, just so you know."

"Cat-"

"I will meet y'all before the performance," I say before shutting the door behind me.

___________________

NIGHTWING'S POV

"That went well," Will says after a few moments.

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose, "She is so frustrating." I mutter.

"That's no way to talk about your wife," Will teases, earning a glare from me. He holds his hands up in surrender, "Only kidding."

"We should have known she would think something was up." Artemis says, "We included her in everything on this mission. And, while I think we are all decent people, it's not like us to just let her sleep this late out of the kindness of our hearts."

"I thought she would buy it. I mean you guys did try to wake her up." Will shrugs, "but I get her side too. If I were her I would be pretty angry too."

"She wasn't angry," Conner speaks up, "I think she was hurt."

I clench my jaw and replay her words in my head. "She has a point."

Why did she have to be so confusing? This mission, this whole thing was just a big and confusing thing that I don't know what to do with, I don't know what to think about her, how to feel about her, and who to believe.

When we met to talk about her, it wasn't because we thought she was bad, I asked if the others thought she was crazy like we originally did. If she was the villain we all thought she was when Rogue was almost decapitated by her.

And we all agreed it wasn't adding up. We all agreed we needed to figure it out when we got back, we needed to look deeper into Cat and Rogue both.

Because last night Cat held her own with Conner and I against Deathstroke but a few days ago she lost to Rogue.

I've been sparring with Rogue and there is no way Cat would have lost. Not unless she threw the game. But why?

I feel like every second I spend with her trying to figure her out, trying to answer a question, I have more questions I need to be answered.

It's like she is a puzzle and the more that I try to solve it, try to fit the pieces together, the more pieces go missing.

"I say we just let her calm down," Conner says, "She won't miss out on the performance. She is mad at us, not Haly."

It's true, she did seem to take a liking to him.

It is weird having her here in my world. This place that only a few people know means so much to me.

And while she doesn't know I am Dick Grayson, I know she figured out this is where his story started after she looked up that article in the bioship.

That's why I knew I had to wear colored contacts here and why I needed to pretend I didn't know Haly as well as I did or the circus for that matter.

Speaking of Haly...

"I'm going to talk to Haly, see if I can get anything more," I say, but I have a feeling they all know that I'm using time that Catgirl is away to visit an old friend.

They nod and I leave, making sure if Catgirl does see me, that she doesn't think I am following her.

Our relationship is rocky at best right now and most of the time I don't even know what to make of our interactions.

I zone out slightly, my feet moving on their own, and soon find myself not at Haly's office, but in front of Zitka's cage.

She lets out a loud trumpet sound when she realizes it's me and wraps her trunk around my head, hugging me to hers.

I smile and hug her back the best I can with the cage in the way.

"Hey, Zitka, I missed you too," I say, petting her.

"You know, you are the second trapeze artist I've caught with Zitka in the last two days," Haly says, walking up.

I raise an eyebrow, "Daisy was here?"

Haly smiles, his eyes shining with amusement, "Your wife was here yesterday, Zitka took a liking to her."

"You know she isn't-"

"With how much your friends enjoyed me thinking you were actually together? How could I not?" He says laughing, "You know, your parents were the same way before they got together. Always fighting about something until they finally admitted they were in love."

"We aren't in love, we just have a... complicated relationship," I tell him.

"Maybe so," He says before looking back at Zitka, "But regardless, she seems like a good person. I told her I was glad you found someone like her." I didn't say anything and he continued, "Does she know who you actually are?"

"No, you didn't tell her, did you?" I rushed out, suddenly panicked. If she knew...

"No, not your name. I told her that a little boy in my circus used to love this elephant. She asked if he still came around and I said no." He says, "I figured she might know who Dick Grayson was, but since you have been sporting those colored contacts, I figured she didn't know you were him."

"As I said, complicated." I smile as he pays me back.

"I'm sure," He shakes his head as he thinks about something else, getting a bewildered look on his face, "You know I did realize you were teaching her the basics, but I would have never known watching you two in the air, how you moved together, heck, she even did three flips. For a newbie, that's very impressive."

I grin at the memory of her telling me how amazing she thought it was after the show, "It was. She was terrified to do it, and then ended up being natural."

"Well, if you don't want her back, you might as well leave her here, I can find a replacement for you." He jokes, chuckling.

I laugh before shaking my head, "She just might take you up on that offer."

Haly shakes his head, "I don't think she would. I know you say your relationship is complicated, but that doesn't mean you both don't care about each other. Friendship wise." He adds at the end seeing me about to defend myself.

"I guess we will see. She has a few secrets we are trying to figure out, we have been trying to hold her at arms-length until we figured it out." I explain, knowing Haly won't go telling anyone. Who would believe him anyway?

"Well, if that's the case, you are doing a horrible job." He remarks before saying, "And as far as I am concerned, everyone has secrets."

I don't respond again, trying to think for a moment.

"It's good to see you, Dick," He says, turning to face me, "I know you think I may not realize what you do for this circus but I do. Thank you for caring enough to save it."

"You don't have to thank me, Haly. This circus was where I grew up. You helped raise me. It's the least I could do." I say pulling a hand on his shoulder for a moment, a gesture I am picking from being around him for so long.

He smiles again before turning to walk away before he stops, "I'm not saying you two are going to end up married, but invite me to the wedding if it happens."

I shake my head at him, "You are going to be invited no matter who I marry."

"Yeah, but don't invite me if it's not her." He says jokingly over his shoulder before he leaves.

I shake my head at him, his words, knowing he is just trying to tease me like he would if I were a little kid with a crush, but a few of his lines do repeat in my head as I look back to Zitka.

"As far as I'm concerned, everyone has secrets."

That one and a few more I try to not think about too hard.

I sigh and shake my head looking at the ground.

Complicated doesn't seem like a strong enough word anymore.

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

Like I had promised, I met up with them before the show.

They didn't say much to me, and I didn't blame them. I did blow up on them, but in my defense, I did just wake up and I have been dealing with them being two-faced for weeks now.

Still, when I saw them I apologized.

Their eyes all widened at me.

"Come again?" Artemis asks.

"I'm sorry," I say uncomfortably, "I shouldn't have blown up on you guys. I should have known I was still untrustworthy in your books. That I am still."

Nightwing uncrosses his arms and pushes off the wall he was leaning on, "Cat,-"

"You don't have to apologize," Conner cuts in, "We were in the wrong too. Trust works both ways and if we expect you to trust us, we have to trust you too."

They didn't argue with his words.

"If it's any consolation, I do trust you guys to not let me die." I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

After all, they do have a no-killing policy, so really anyone trusts them to do that, but I'm not going to bring that up right now.

"Same here," Artemis gives me an apologetic smile.

"That's good enough for now," I say, "Now, can we go back to pretending none of that back at the Cave is happening because that was kind of nice. At least until we finish the mission."

"Agreed," Conner says.

"Agreed." Will, Artemis, and Nightwing repeat.

"Good." I say and turn, "Because now it's showtime."

We all walk to our places, Nightwing and I climbing up on our perches and wait for Haly to call out our names.

He does so like the night before, and this time, I look out at the crowd beforehand, trying to memorize this moment before I smile and pose and jump off the perch.

I flip three times before straightening out and grabbing the trapeze bar.

I am about to get ready to jump again when smoke starts clouding the air.

"Wha-"

"Fire!" Someone screams and I feel panic erupt under us.

The air is hotter than before and the smoke is getting thicker.

"Cat get off the trapeze, get on the perch," Nightwing says through the com, sounding worried.

I can't see him, I'm turned the wrong way, but I force myself to keep my eyes up and look at the perch.

"Here goes nothing," I whisper to myself before I let go of the bar and flip towards the perch.

I land shakily and hold onto the pole as I turn and look for Nightwing.

"I'm on it, are you all okay?"

"Deathstroke probably did this as payback," Will says, "Artemis, Conner, and I are fine."

"You two need to get down before the tent caves in," Artemis says, worried in her tone.

"Don't worry about us." Nightwing orders, "try to get as many people out safely as possible."

"Watch out for the kids," I say, "this could just be a distraction to get as many kids out before they close down this operation because they know that we know about it."

I look down and see chaos, people running to the exits, as fire spreads on my side of the tent in big flames.

I look down at the ladder, and my stomach drops because it's covered in flames.

I shake my head and swallow dryly before pressing the com in my ear.

"I have to swing to your side, Nightwing, my ladder is on fire."

"The ropes could be unstable now, it's too dangerous," He says a few seconds later. "Conner, can you-"

"I can try, but I'm on the other side of the tent right now, and it would expose us, though."

I look down at the flames, now halfway up the perch and growing rapidly.

"I don't have time, I'm coming," I say, not waiting for their responses before I grab hold of the trapeze, and look towards the empty one on the other side of the tent.

I take a deep breath, the smoke stinging my lungs before I jump off just as the flames light up the perch.

I flip three times, straighten out and catch the bar, swinging back and forth a few times to find the perch, and see Nightwing waiting for me, his face an ashy white.

"Cat, the rope is going to catch on fire, you have to jump now!" He yells at me.

So I do, I flip, and almost miss the perch, but he grabs my hand and pulls me up into him.

He backs into the pole, his hand still holding mine and the other holding me away from the edge and against his chest.

"She made it, we are coming down." He says breathlessly into the com, and I can feel his heart beating as rapidly as mine.

He pushes me to the ladder, watching as the rope that once held the trapeze, falls to the ground in flames.

I climb down as fast I can, him right behind me.

When I step off, I look around, seeing people trying to stay close to their families but not seeing a way out.

Nightwing puts his hand on my back, "You okay?"

I nod breathlessly, "We need to get everyone out of here."

He nods before coughing, the smoke getting the better of him.

"We need to hurry," he says, "This smoke is going to kill people before the flames do."

I nod, "I will meet you guys outside."

He nods back and we go our separate ways, trying to help people get out.

Will passes me with a group of four and nods behind him, "There are a bunch over there."

I nod and run to where he said, finding a large group, all coughing and in bad shape. I quickly find the two that look the best and ask them for help caring for the others before I help do the same.

A hand lands on my shoulder and I find Haly smiling grimly, "You take them, I will get these last few."

I nod to him in thanks, trying not to breathe in too much smoke, though my vision is starting to blur slightly and my throat feels scratchy.

I take my group, seeing that most of the people are out when I get through the tent, and see that Artemis, Conner, and Nightwing are being held back by police because they think they are civilians.

Before they can stop me I turn and run back in, passing Roy on the way, "This is the last of them I think."

I nodded and ran back to my group, only to see that Haly was unconscious and four people were trying to help him, but they were all in bad shape.

"Haly!" I cough out, shaking him awake.

He looks up at me dazed, "Get them out first." He says.

"Haly-"

"Do it."

I shake my head but he is already falling back unconscious and if I keep arguing then I will have more than one unconscious person.

"Come on," I say to the others, "I will come back for him."

The air was thick with smoke now, and I coughed as I sling someone's arm around me, and nodded to the other two people holding up someone in much worse condition than them.

The heat was almost unbearable, and my skin glistened with sweat as we moved as fast as we could to get to the tent.

When we finally got through the tent, I saw that the fire trucks had finally gotten there.

I cough and take in as much fresh air as I can before turning back.

An office grabs hold of me but I push him off, him shouting at me to get back, but I don't listen.

I run back in, and a beam falls to my left.

I stumble through the tent as fast as I can, my eyes, my throat, my lungs burning.

"Haly!" I scream only to be sent into a coughing fit.

I keep going, and find him awake, and pushing himself onto his feet, "Haly." I say, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and helping him stand.

I cough again but don't stop. Not when I am this close.

He stumbles and I nearly fall, looking to him, only to find someone else was also watching us in the flames.

I blink a few times, the person staring back at me before I blink again and they are gone.

I shake my head, pull Haly up, and keep going as flames lick at our skin, it almost taking up the whole tent now.

Sweat beads on my neck, my forehead as we make it, and walk through the exit.

Paramedics rush to us but I push Haly into them and keep walking despite their protests.

The others spot me and relief passes over every single one of their faces and I realize they all were being held back by a line of police officers.

When they saw me coming though, they pushed through despite the police yelling at them and met me halfway as I took in big gulps of air.

"Did you catch him?" I get out in between breaths, feeling slightly light-headed.

They pause, looking me over to make sure I am okay before Artemis nods, "Yes, that's him."

I nod, "Okay." I say and push past them, walking to the guy.

They follow me, but I don't stop as I say, "Excuse me?" To the cops handcuffing him.

They look at me, but my eyes are on the guys who look at me before I punch squad in the jaw.

I hold my hands up in surrender and back up after I do so. The cops hold their hands out to me and start shouting, but I don't hear.

I feel arms wrap around my waist and lift me pull me away from starting a fight.

Nightwing puts me down after a few steps back.

"What the heck!" Will exclaims.

"He deserved it." I huff out, my eyes looking past him to Haly before I start coughing.

"You need an oxygen mask," Conner says, causing me to shake my head.

"I'm fine, I need to see how Haly is, he was unconscious in there," I say, taking a step, but I stumble, my vision going for a second. Nightwing steadies me, but when my vision comes back I push off of him. "I'm fine."

I don't miss the look they all share but they walk with me, keeping an eye on me to Haly, who is being strapped into a gurney.

He looks up as we approach and he gives a weak smile. "I will be fine, don't worry about me."

Artemis holds his hand squeezing it for a few seconds before letting it go.

"Get better soon, no one can run this circus like you," Will says.

He nods to him before looking at me, "Well, you fit in with them perfectly, you all seem to be my guardian angels."

"That doesn't give you an excuse to put yourself in danger," Nightwing says beside me.

He looks up at him and smiles before looking at me, "Take care of him, okay?"

I nod weakly and cough a few more times into my elbow.

"We need to take him now," A woman comes over, and she and her partner put the gurney on the ambulance.

Haly waves to us before they shut the doors and hit the back of the ambulance twice, and the car drives away.

I look back to the others before a cop walks up to us.

"Can I talk to you, Ma'am? We need to ask you a few questions." He directs the questions at me.

I nod, feeling better after getting a few minutes of fresh air.

"I don't-" I cut Nightwing off.

"I'm fine, really, feeling a lot better," I say reassuringly, though I know they are going to eventually make me wear an oxygen mask.

Nightwing looks at me, his eyes studying mine before he nods, "If you say so."

I nod before walking a few feet away from them where they can't hear, aside from Conner of course, and the cop stops and turns to me.

"Did you see who started the fire?" He asks.

I blink at him before I look down at my outfit and back up at him, "I was performing, so no."

He raises an eyebrow at my sass before he shakes his head and continues, "You saved a lot of people, my friend said he tried to stop you from going back in but you shook him off. Is that true?"

"Vaguely rings a bell," I say, giving him a lazy smile.

He grins, "uhmm, and you were the lady that punched the crap out of the guy responsible for the recent trafficking of kids?"

"How did you guys know it was him?" I ask instead.

"Anonymous tip led us to his base of operation, and we found him smuggling six kids tonight." He says before continuing, "So you were the lady that punched him?"

"I'm not in trouble am I?"

"No. We just don't usually let civilians punch the bad guys." He says, shrugging," I thought it was pretty cool."

He is flirting. Interesting.

He isn't by any means bad looking, with his tan skin, dark brown eyes that match his hair perfectly, and dimples that show when he smiles.

"That's because it was pretty cool," I say, smiling slightly.

He grins, showing off those dimples before he asks, "Would it be pretty cool if I asked for your number? Maybe take you out some time for dinner?"

I raise an eyebrow at his blunt question before I politely smile. "It isn't when the lady is married."

He looks down at my hands, "No ring?" His eyes look back to mine, "Rough patch?"

I look down at my hands as if I didn't realize it wasn't there before I say, "No, I'm very happy. I just don't wear it during shows."

"That's a shame." He says looking behind my shoulder, probably at my so-called husband that can't stand me half of the time.

Our relationship is a work in progress.

I follow his eyes to Nightwing who looks away when I look at him. Turning back to the cop I say, "For you," and wink before turning and walking back to them.

Artemis, who had seen the whole thing, gave me a credulous look, "Was that hot cop flirting with you?" Her voice got the attention of the boys, who all looked back to the cop that was still watching me.

I look at him again and watch as he looks at Nightwing, sizing him up, before looking back to me and waving before turning away.

I look back to the others, ignoring the looks the boys are sending me and each other. "Maybe." I shrug, keeping my eyes on Artemis' teasing face.

"And you turned the hot cop down!?" SHe exclaims, her eyebrow raised.

"Cops aren't really my type," I say smoothly and walk through them before they can ask me any more questions.

Artemis snorts at this and follows me, looking back at the guys, "Come on, I've had enough of the circus for a good few years. Let's go home."

The boys go back to the train to get our bags while Artemis and I get on the bioship where she forces me to get an oxygen mask on for at least a few minutes.

I don't fight her, still feeling a little light-headed but I can't shake the image of the person I saw in the fire.

When the guys got back they told us they explained to Haly we had to leave and he said to tell us hi and that it was lovely to see them all again and meet me.

Nightwing sets my bag down next to me as Will asks how I feel.

"I'm fine really, I'm just humoring you all by using this oxygen mask," I say, taking it off now. "See, just fine."

They all look at me and cross their arms.

I roll my eyes and put it back on.

"I have a question," Artemis says suddenly, her eyes on me. "Why did you go back in for Haly?"

My eyebrows draw together, "Why wouldn't I? Yeah, I just met him but the guy has gone through a lot. I just didn't think it would be fair for that circus to lose its ringmaster too." I shrug and look forward.

Because with Dick Grayson's parents and the Light using that circus as a base, that circus and everyone involved didn't deserve to lose anyone else.

I couldn't exactly say that, but I think my answer was good enough, and Artemis seemed to think so because she didn't question it.

"I feel like you guys always end your missions with explosions," I say changing the subject.

They cringe at this, "We used to be a lot worse than this." Superboy confesses.

"This one was just a fire though," Nightwing defends.

I shift my eyes to the floor thinking back to the person I saw in the fire.

"Did they pull anyone out of the fire after me?" I ask no one in particular.

They share a look before looking back at me.

"No. Why?" Will asks curiously.

"There was someone in there." I say looking out the window, "In the fire." My eyes shift to them.

They look at one another.

"There was a lot of smoke, maybe you-"

"No, I saw someone, and I didn't imagine it because they weren't normal and I've never seen anyone like it." I shake my head, slightly disturbed.

"What did they look like?" Conner asks uneasily.

"An owl." I say looking at him, "They looked like an owl."

And there is the look they all have reserved for me. The "I think she is losing it" look.

I shake my head again, "You are right, I probably just imagined it." I shift the conversation, trying to get the image out of my head, "You know that was my first time going to a circus."

"Really?" Will says surprised.

I nod my head. "Stirring up trouble in Gotham at the proper age of nine didn't leave a lot of time for me to visit the circus."

"The only times I've gone have been with the team," Conner says with a shrug.

"I went a few times," Will says before looking to Artemis for her answer.

"I'm with Cat, it wasn't exactly the way my family spent our time." She shrugs, "My first time going was with you guys."

We look to Nightwing who says, "I went two times before we went on our mission the first time around."

We all nod and a comfortable silence passes over us until I say, "I get it though, we people would run off and join the circus. I know it's a saying but I get it." They all look at me, waiting for me to continue. "It's like a whole other world, people can forget their problems and pretend to live new lives."

Is that not what we did? I know for a part of it I forgot my big problem back at home. And I pretended I was married for this mission.

"Would you join the circus?" Nightwing asks suddenly, causing me to look at him.

I think for a few moments before I say, "Maybe, I don't think I could forever though. I think eventually I am going to have to face my problems."

And I am. I was going to before I realized they needed me on this mission. That's why I went into the Cave that day other than M'gann calling me in. I've got a plan.

"I don't think I could." Artemis says, "Too many clowns. And I would miss the adrenaline rush of being a hero."

"I think it's definitely a visit type of deal for me." I agree with her.

"I don't like monkeys." Conner shrugs, causing me to nod thoughtfully though I have no idea why he thought that summed it all up.

"I think I could run the business side of it." Will shrugs.

We all turn to Nightwing.

"What about you, wonder boy, would you run off and join the circus?" I ask.

He seems like he is thinking for a second before he shakes his head, "No."

He doesn't say anything else, so I take it and turn to look out of the window, putting the oxygen mask back on my face.

___________________

We end up getting in late, all of us suddenly very tired.

We enter the main room and I groan loudly when I see who is still awake.

"Are you kidding me?" I mutter, suddenly in a much worse mood than before.

Will takes that as his cue to leave, saying, "Good night, it was fun." Before walking into the Zeta tube.

Conner looks at me, but I don't look at him, only stare at her.

He rubs the back of his head before muttering goodnight to us.

Rogue stares innocently back at us, "Sorry, I was just getting a drink of water, I didn't know you guys would be back."

Bullshit.

I've dealt with enough today, I'm not going to deal with her right now.

She looks at my ashy clothes and says, "Oh my gosh, Cat, are you okay?"

I cross my arms over my chest, "Fine."

"Oh good, Artemis, Nightwing, are you okay?"

I glare at her, hoping I suddenly get heat vision and melt her on the spot.

That's probably why I don't have powers.

"We're fine, thanks for asking. I'm going to head home, see you guys tomorrow." Artemis says, looking at me and Nightwing before walking to the Zeta tube.

And just like that, there were three.

Rogue looks back to me, "I've been leaving to ask, how are your sessions going? I'm glad you are finally getting the help you need."

Nightwing studies me, and when I take a step forward, he puts himself in between us.

I take a few steps back at that.

"Seriously?" I ask him, "I'm trying to walk to the zeta tube."

He doesn't say anything, only looks back at her then at me.

I shake my head, hurt flashing in my eyes before I cover it up as if I didn't care what he thought of me. "You know, I didn't expect you to trust me after this last mission, but I thought you would maybe at least hesitate before picking her side over mine," I say low enough that only he hears. "That was stupid of me, I should have been realistic I guess."

Guilt floods his expression and he tries to grab my arm to stop me from walking past him.

I move away, looking at him for a few moments, watching the guilt on his face, watching the emotion flicker in his eyes when I move away from him before I turn. When I pass Rogue, I flip her off before walking into the zeta tube.

This mission made us forget the reality of our relationship.

We played husband and wife, we had to trust each other, depend on each other. We got to call each other pet names, we got to be flirty again. We got too comfortable with each other, we got too comfortable placing a comforting hand on each other, pretending to be in love.

Our reality is that we both have obstacles in the way of us trusting each other, we have trust issues. Even if Rogue wasn't involved, I don't know if he would trust me because of our complicated past. We can't just comfort each other, that's not us, and we don't get to flirt anymore. Not when he is hell-bent on the idea that I am the enemy.

But that's all going to end tomorrow.

________________________________

A/N:
____
what is your favorite season of yj and why? 🤨

did you like this chapter?

favorite over all moment for the circus?
_____________
thanks for reading, don't forget to vote & comment !!

xoxo, author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.2K 3.9K 63
Pamela Isley returns to Arkham Asylum after her young-adult daughter (Y/N) refuses to play a part in Poison Ivy's schemes. With the chance to finally...
227K 9.1K 27
After the death of his parents, Dick Grayson is taken in by his Uncle and trained to be a Talon. He has been training and preparing for four years of...
148K 3.8K 25
Just going to inform you that I am rereading this to get rid of as many grammatical errors as possible and that I'm also going through and fixing up...
83.1K 3.7K 57
Now calling herself "Jade," a girl must delve into the risky business of cat burglary in attempts to keep her sister safe from a dangerous past. As t...