catgirl ! broken (nightwing)

By lucyluhvs

book 1 out of 3 in my main catgirl series ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── summary: Ca... More

«intro»
«playlist»
«prologue»
«chapter one: a dangerous game»
«chapter two: an old enemy»
«chapter three: unexpected run-ins»
«chapter four: brotherly bonding»
«chapter five: new sparring partners»
«chapter six: missing information»
«chapter seven: aye-aye captain»
«chapter eight: making it work»
«chapter nine: two cats in one place»
«chapter ten: the calm before the storm»
«chapter eleven: rogue»
«chapter twelve: returning nightmares»
«chapter thirteen: representing»
«chapter fourteen: therapy»
«chapter fifteen: an old friend»
«chapter sixteen: dancing with a stranger»
«chapter seventeen: surprising connection»
«chapter eighteen: coming clean»
«chapter nineteen: there was some doubt»
«chapter twenty: a new ally»
«chapter twenty-one: alfred saves the day»
«chapter twenty-two: husband and wife»
«chapter twenty-three: walking a thin line»
«chapter twenty-five: a necessary risk»
«chapter twenty-six: the truth comes out»
«chapter twenty-seven: a cold bus ride»
«chapter twenty-eight: rogue returns»
«chapter twenty-nine: Broken»
«chapter thirty: nightmares and late-night talks»
«chapter thirty-one: where it all started»
«chapter thirty-two: an unexpected visitor»
«chapter thirty-three: facing the demon»
«chapter thirty-four: rescuing the team»
«chapter thirty-five: pushing people's buttons»
«chapter thirty-six: finding out the truth»
«chapter thirty-seven: a complicated situation»
«chapter thirty-eight: holding a grudge»
«chapter thirty-nine: wally's plan»
«chapter forty: a dance battle»
«epilogue»
SEQUEL IS OUT
QUESTION AND ANSWER
Please read even if you havent read all
I did enter the Wattys
*Important*
SURPRISE

«chapter twenty-four: joining the circus»

5.9K 215 351
By lucyluhvs

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  I decided it was best if I didn't ever find myself alone with Nightwing after this morning.

We went to practice without a net.

  Nightwing thought it wouldn't be good for my first time performing to also be my first time with the net and I agreed because I couldn't shake the nerves.

  I didn't sleep very much last night either. I didn't want to have a nightmare and wake up to them watching me. That would be a nightmare on its own.

  I used to get bad nightmares, not so much anymore. I went for a good bit without having them until Rogue joined the team. After that, some nights I would be dreaming happy things, and others... Well, I didn't want to talk about it.

  And I figured it would be my luck to have a nightmare the same night I shared a room with four people who wouldn't know how to help and who wouldn't know what was happening and who would look at me with pity after and I didn't need that.

  So when I woke up to Nightwing shaking me to get out of bed, and not because I was screaming or crying, I counted it as a huge win.

  When we got to the tent where the show would be happening though, it was busy, and people were running around everywhere.

And the net was gone.

  I swear my heart stopped beating for a second before I saw Haly and Nightwing move to talk to him.

  "Hey! My two lovebirds, how are you?" He greeted us, excited for the show.

  "Great!" Nightwing said before nodding to where the net should have been, "We were going to practice with the net, is it possible-"

  "No, sorry," Haly said and I swear my heart stops beating. "Listen, you two know I would, but the guys are swamped trying to put everything together, the police stalled our work for hours today and now we are swamped."

Nightwing nodded, "We understand, thank you."

  "That's not going to be a problem right?" Haly asked, looking between the two of us.

  I found my voice after watching his worried face, "No, not at all." I lied," everything is good." I even added a smile at the end.

  He seemed to believe me and he tipped his hat to us and walked away.

  Without thinking I turned trying to keep from everyone seeing me. I placed my hand on Nightwings shoulder to keep him from turning and I tried to catch my breath, my nerves growing tenfold.

  The lights, the people, the props, it's all going to be thrown at me at once and without a net.

I felt like I was going to throw up.

  Nightwing grabbed my hand after a moment causing me to look up from the ground to him.

  His eyes were much softer than they usually were and he turned to me slightly, my hand still on his shoulder where he held it.

"You are going to be okay," He promised.

You will be okay.

  I swallowed hard and nodded, stepping away from him, "I just need air."

  I needed time to think, to get away, and for him to stop trying to make me feel better.

"Cat-"

  "I'm fine, I just need air," I said not looking at him, and left the tent.

  I am sure he tried to follow, but I purposely disappeared.

  That was this morning and now it's close to showtime.

  I am walking through the attractions, looking at the animals.

  A tiger looks at me, circling its cage and I can't help but feel like I am sometimes the tiger, trying to break free from the hold that everyone has on me, trying to stop me. And I feel like sometimes I try so hard to hold back everything from my past that it's like the tiger in that cage, angry and waiting to break free and cause havoc and I am the cage.

  I move on before stopping at an elephant cage. Zitka the name on the front reads and she pushes her trunk out of the cage when she notices me.

  Smiling lightly, I pet her truck, and she lets out a happy, but loud, trumpet sound with her trunk.

  I laugh but look around hoping she didn't catch the attention of anyone.

  She takes my looking away as a chance to wrap her trunk around my arm and pull me closer to the cage.

"Careful now, Zitka, we don't want to hurt Daisy."

Haly smiles at us and walks closer.

If it had to be someone, I was glad it was him.

  The elephant seems to listen and gently lets me go, but tries to touch my head instead.

  "You know, I've had this elephant for as long as I can remember," Haly says coming to stand next to me. "She must have a thing for loving trapeze artists." He says chuckling as she tries to wrap her trunk around my neck.

  He helps me get out of her grasp, but I still pet her before I turn over his words in my head.

"Why do you say that?"

  Haly looks at the ground and smiles somberly, "My old trapeze act loved this elephant. It was this family, and Zitka absolutely loved their little boy."

Dick Grayson.

He was talking about Dick Grayson.

"What happened?" I ask, even though I know

  He frowns, "bad people got to the parents. You know I still blame myself for it, but... but their little boy is okay." He says and lets out a breath, "I think he got adopted by a nice man."

  I nod and put my hand on his shoulder in hopes of comforting him. I almost don't ask, but I decide it can't hurt, "Does the boy ever visit?"

  Does Dick Grayson spend time at this circus, the circus he grew up in? The circus he lost his family in.

  I don't know why I wanted to know. I had only ever met him once and while I did hope I would see more of him, wanting to know about his past life, being this interested, shocked even me.

  Haly smiles sadly, "Not really. I don't blame him, he lost his family here. Bad memories I am sure." He says before looking back at the elephant. "But Zitka sure misses him. I can tell."

  I look back to Zitka, and she reaches for me again, her truck slowly wrapping around my waist and pulling me to the cage.

  I let her do it and pet her head seeing as she is practically right against the cage at this point.

  "You know," Haly says, watching us for a second, "Animals are a good judge of character. And Zitka is an especially good judge."

  I smile at his words. If only he knew how little people trusted me.

  I back away from the cage and Zitka let me go so I can face Haly.

  "I am glad Dan found such a good woman to spend his life with. You know I only met him when he was about 13, but he is someone you really can't forget." He says, and starts walking back to the main part of the circus, "someone you can truly count on."

  I smile before looking down at the ground. He is someone most people can count on.

So why am I so scared to trust him?

___________________

  The lights in the tent were going crazy, and the seats were filling up, packing so tight I was worried they didn't have enough seating.

  After my encounter with Haly and Zitka, I went back to the train and got ready.

  When Nightwing finally found me, I was all ready to go and was about to walk out the door.

  I ignored his concerned look and just walked next to him to the tent, the sky dark and stars shining over us.

  Now it was almost time for us to go on and I was getting nervous again.

  After my talk with Haly, I did feel better, but I can't help but get nervous watching the crowd stare at the other acts.

  And while I am incredibly annoyed with the fact that this is affecting me this much considering what I do for a living, I can't help but let it slide given as it is so not what I normally do and it's actually really dangerous.

Not like what I do normally isn't dangerous.

"You okay?" Artemis asks, coming up beside me.

  I managed to send the guys the message not to get too close, so they were a few feet away, and watching the act.

  I did feel their stares every now and then, but they hadn't tried to talk to me and I was a little grateful for it.

  But I didn't mind Artemis asking, even if they had sent her over. Because even if she didn't realize just how alike we were, we still were.

  "I'm okay," I lie, my arms wrapped around me trying to find some form of comfort.

  "I know it seems scary, but you climb buildings and jump off of them all the time, this isn't any different," She tries to reassure me, "Dan even fell the first night we performed with Haly's Circus. Dean saved him by throwing a barrel up and launching him close enough for Dawn to catch him."

  My eyes widen and I can't help but look back at the boys who are so obviously watching, and try to play it off like they weren't by looking away quickly.

  "I didn't know that," I admit, "Dan didn't tell me that."

  "Probably because he wanted to keep you impressed with him," Artemis rolls her eyes, "Listen I know that there has been a lot of distrust in your lift. I think we come from close enough backgrounds for me to know that. But when I tell you that even with the drama back on the team, none of us are going to let you die, Daisy." Artemis promises, giving me a small smile.

  Nightwing had to have told her, maybe all of them, why I was originally so scared to go up there then.

  "I don't think you guys would, it's just..." I trail off. I don't know how to explain it other than to say, "It's just hard, I'm used to relying on myself, you know?" I say, looking up at the ladder, my arms wrapped around myself for some sort of comfort.

  "I know what you mean," She says and I know she does. She actually does, "but, it's really nice to know people have your back." She continues.

  I rely on the sirens. But I know this is different. What she is talking about is different.

  I drop it, trying to avoid talking about any of my relationships with any of the team anymore.

  Instead, I just smile and say, "Just make sure Dane doesn't hit me with an arrow on accident."

  Artemis laughs, "Of course, I think I can manage that." Her smile softens before she says, "You've got this. Good luck."

  I smile back and repeat her words to her, "Good luck."

  She leaves on that note and I know that she is going back to report to the others.

  A few minutes later I feel a presence next to me and I don't have to turn to know who it is.

  "Are you okay?" He asks after a few moments of silence between us, the roar of the crowd seems to grow distant as he speaks.

  "I think so," I say and look at him, "Remember, you promised you wouldn't drop me." I tease lightly, trying to get back some sort of familiar ground with us. He smiles, though I can tell it isn't a real one which causes my eyebrows to draw together. "You are nervous," I state more than ask.

  If he is surprised at my deduction, he does voice it, he just gives me a nervous smile, "I think you would be insane if you weren't nervous before performing in front of everyone without a net." He admits before he adds, "But the nerves are only temporary. They will go away after you take your first jump-off. I promise it's something else."

  I smile, "It better be, you know I had plans for this week I had to push back."

  "Oh, you poor thing," He rolls his eyes, but I can tell it isn't serious because his smile is still in place. "Thank goodness you graced us with your presence then."

  I elbow him in the ribs and he smirks as I say, "I actually did have plans, so I would appreciate it if you made sure I don't die before we get back to the Cave."

"Sure thing, love."

"Thank you, dear."

We both shake our heads and laugh.

  "How on earth did we both end up here?" He asks the question I constantly have been asking myself for the last few months.

  "No idea." I shrug as Will comes up to tell us we are about to go on.

  Nightwing looks at me before he says, "I've got you, I promise."

And I believe him.

  "I've got you too," I promise, nodding to him before he turns and disappears, trying to get to the other side and up the ladder before Haly starts to announce us.

  I shake my hands out before looking up to the perch.

"You've got this," I mutter before I start to climb.

  All too soon I am at the top in the dark, and Haly is announcing us.

  "Showtime, ladies, and gents," Will says through the communicator when we are all in position.

  "It's not too late for us to switch jobs, Will," I say as I press the communicator in my ear.

  "No thanks," He responds, "You will be fine... just don't look down."

"That's not helpful."

  "Just keep your eyes up, keep them focused on the targets we talked about." Nightwing cuts in.

  I try to find him in the shadows of the perch across from me, but it's so dark I can barely see anything.

Does he realize that the targets he is talking about are basically just him?

  He probably does and just didn't want to say that over coms.

  I shake my head letting it clear, "Showtime." I whisper to myself.

  "Ladies and gentlemen!" He exclaims, "get ready for the final act, the pearl of oyster here at Haly's Circus, the Daring Dangers!" He says and he lights up, a spot like for each of us.

  I blink away the blinking lights and look at Nightwing.

  He looks at me and smiles before turning and I know we are starting.

  I turn and pose, my arm up with a smile on my face before I turn back to Nightwing, both of us having our trapeze in our hands.

  He nods to me and without a second thought, we both jump off of the perches at the same time, our bodies mirror each other as we swing through the air and towards each other, letting go doing three flips before straightening out to catch the new bar.

  I can vaguely hear Haly calling out our names over the crowd cheering and the blood pumping loudly in my ears as I let go of the trapeze bar and tuck through a barrel, Nightwing doing the same and straighten out when I have cleared it, bring my arms over my head as arrows shoot past us.

  I grab hold of the bar and pull myself up to hang from my knees, and it's my turn to catch Nightwing.

  He turns and at his peak, he flips, doing two before our hands connect and we swing together, his weight pulling me down more than before.

  I swing him back forcefully before launching him, with his help back to the empty trapeze, him doing four perfect flips before catching it.

  He hangs from his knees as I get ready to flip, pushing off as much as I can and doing three flips before straightening out and his hands grab hold of mine.

  I let go of one, turning to face the other way, replacing my hands before he throws me back to the other trapeze and I tuck through two barrels this time, and I am thankful Conner timed that perfectly as I get through them both and catch the trapeze bar on the other side.

  I turn by replacing my hands and hang from my knees again, and it's time for the end of the routine.

  Nightwing swings to me, doing four flips before he straightens out and we grab hold of each other.

Now just the landing.

  He swings up, landing on the perch and I quickly flip forward and onto the perch next to him, letting the trapeze go from my knees like I was supposed to.

  It feels like my ears go back into focus when we finish, and I can suddenly hear the deafening cheering of the crowd as Nightwing and I wrap our arms around each other and hold up the free ones, smiling.

  My chest heaves up and down, my heart pounding out of my chest, but I don't have to fake the smile on my face.

  "How was it?" Nightwing asks over the crowd, and the lights flicker on as the show ends.

How was it?

  It was amazing. It was a blur, it almost didn't feel real.

  I could hear the outside world, I didn't care, I only cared about what was happening up here, like it was another world completely.

And the feeling. It's so hard to describe.

  It felt like the moment before a big drop on a rollercoaster, and you think you just might fly out of your seat, your stomach dropping out of anticipation and fear, your hair in the wind, your skin feeling tingly from the wind on it.

  It felt amazing. It felt almost indescribable. It felt magical, powerful being able to save yourself like that.

  So when he asked me how I felt, what I thought, that's exactly what I told him.

  When I finished, his smile had grown and he looked at me with an emotion I didn't recognize, but in a flash, it was gone and I thought it must have been a trick of the light as we started climbing down the ladder.

  When we got down, we were greeted with smiling faces from a group of people, but I only cared about Artemis, Will, and Conner's.

  "Not bad for a cat," Will says low enough so only we can hear.

"I think it was pretty good," I shrug, smiling.

  "It was amazing," Conner says, "You both looked like naturals. You both looked like you actually did that for a living."

  "We basically do," Nightwing points out, but he was still smiling.

  Artemis shakes her head at me when we make eye contact, "Told you. You didn't even need a save."

"Tonight," I say, "Don't take back the offer."

  She shakes her head and we all start to leave before Haly stops us.

  "You guys never fail to impress!" He laughs, slapping Will on the back so hard from the excitement that Will winces, " it was amazing. The archery, the strength, the trapeze skills, you guys are the total package."

  Nightwing opens his mouth to respond but a man in a police uniform walks up to Haly before he can.

  "Sorry to interrupt, but there are already four missing people reports." He says, causing Haly's smile to fall.

  "You try to create a safe and fun environment for all ages and people take advantage of it," He sighs frowning before he looks at us, "I'm sorry, I've got to figure out what is going on, I will find you all later."

We nod in understanding before sharing a look.

"Well?" Conner asks after a moment.

  Nightwing's face is void from the smile he had a few minutes ago, his face now grim as he says, "We are going to need to make a stop before we go out."

"Are we hitting the town?" Will asks.

  "Something like that," Nightwing says looking back at the policeman. "You guys go ahead, I've got to make a stop."

  We nod and leave, pushing through the crowd of people.

  Someone rams into me, causing my stomach to burn to life.

  I let out a hiss without thinking, causing the three others to look at me.

  My wound throbs in sore pain, but I pretend the sound didn't come out of me.

It doesn't feel right. I think I pushed it.

  Conner falls back as the other two push further ahead, "You need to sit this one out." He says low enough for the others to not be able to hear.

  "I can't, you know that." I shake my head, "I just need to ice it tonight, just-"

"Cat-"

  "Listen, I know. I wish I could, but kids are being taken and turned into weapons... I can't sit out on this one." I say quietly. "If you want me to take it easy, keep the fighting off of me."

  He nods, and I know he doesn't like my choice, but it's mine and he knows he can't do anything to stop me.

___________________

  Nightwing managed to get information out of the cop and also put a tracker on a guy he thought might have been a goon of whoever is running this.

  Apparently, Nightwing stopped a little girl from going with him, which means our new friends are going to be royally pissed.

  Usually, I would be thrilled with that, but after two days of swinging and pulling and pushing my body, my stitches, I don't think a more pissed opponent is better.

  The tracker led us to an abandoned warehouse-shocker, I know- which we are currently watching from the roof of the building next door.

  "I see ten men on the first floor, I bet they are keeping the kids below that," Conner says next to me using his X-ray vision.

  He hasn't left my side, which I don't know whether I find incredibly annoying or kind of nice.

  "What's the plan of attack?" Artemis asks, further away from the edge so she can't be seen.

  "I don't think they will hurt the kids, I think their goal is to have as many of them as they can," Nightwing says crouched next to me and Conner at the edge of the building. He looks back to Artemis, "That means that when we attack they will draw most of their power to the front, leaving the kids and therefore, limiting risks for them."

  "I don't think we should risk trying to break in before though." I speak up, "If they are willing to torture those kids to find out if they have the meta-gene, they won't bat an eye killing one of them."

  "I agree," Conner says looking in between both of us, "I mean with both of you." He says before nodding to the building, "I don't think we should split up and try to get the kids out first, I think we need to stop the threat beforehand and then worry. You cut off the communication with their partners and we have a three-hour time limit to strike because they don't ship out until then."

  "So basically, we go in guns blazing," Will says and shrugs, "Not the first time, probably not the last, I'm in."

  Artemis shrugs, "We've done worse things. Let's go."

  With that, we step aside as she and Will aim and shoot two windows, their arrows breaking the glass before hitting the wall and creating a zip line.

  Conner jumps down from the building and runs through the front door, drawing most of the attacks his way as Artemis and Will swing in through the windows.

  Nightwing and I follow suit, him using his grappling hook and me using my whip to swing and slip through the windows.

  Before I know it, I am up against two guys, only to have Conner slam one of his guys into them.

Okay, then.

  I shrug and keep going, but something blindsided me. Someone.

  I tuck when I fall so I roll and land in a crouch, and look up at who decided to run me over.

  My blood runs cold slightly, and I move to warn the others but Nightwing says it before I can.

"Deathstroke."

  Artemis and Will start taking out the rest of the men while Conner, Nightwing, and I surround Deathstroke.

  He slowly unsheathes his swords, making a point before he spines them. "You kids are getting very annoying."

  "That's the goal," Nightwing remarks, his escrima sticks buzzing to life with electricity.

  I slip out my claws, and stand up, causing Deathstroke to laugh.

"Claws? That's it, nothing else?"

  "That's all I need," I bite back before running towards him.

  Nightwing and Conner do the same, but I reach him first, ducking as he swipes his sword at my head. I jumped up to avoid him kicking out my feet like I knew he would try to kick him square in the chest before flipping back out of his reach.

  He stumbles, and just as he regains his balance, Nightwing swings at him.

  He blocks his first swing and manages to land a blow on Nightwing with the butt of his sword before Conner crashes into him from behind.

  Deathstroke flips away instead of falling, much to my annoyance, but Nightwing manages to get a few hits in before ducking back as Deathstroke swipes at him with his sword.

  Before I can even move or think of warning him, Nightwing takes a fist to the face, knocking him back to the ground.

  Conner charges at him again and I do the same, managing to slice his chest, but his armor protects him. I try to cut him again but he grabs my wrist and slams me into Conner.

  We land a few feet away, Conner getting up before me, helping me up as Nightwing holds his own against Deathstroke.

  He manages to land a kick on him and dodges by flipping back.

  "Can you launch me?" I turn to Conner, his hand still on my shoulder.

"Yeah, but-"

  I move back from him and don't let him finish, making him put his hands together and I run at him, putting my foot in his hand before he pushes me up.

  I flip in the air and kick out my leg, slamming it into Deathstroke's face.

  He stumbles at that, and Nightwing takes his chance, bringing Slade's head to his knee, making him even more disoriented.

  I rebound off the floor and jump back to him, this time aiming my claws down the side of his face and neck, before clawing his forearm; the weak parts of his suit.

  He lets out a frustrating sound and manages to backhand me, hitting my jaw and knocking me back.

  Nightwing catches me and I rub my head as he helps me stand, looking at me for a moment before we both look back to Deathstroke.

  Nightwing lets me go, and we are ready to fight again, but he pauses, realizing two arrows are now aimed at him and Conner is ready to tackle him to the ground.

  Deathstroke looks at me and I smirk when I see that my claws managed to cut through his suit as I had hoped, and blood was seeping out of the claw marks I had left.

  He touches his hand to his neck before pulling it away and looking at the blood on his fingers.

  "I told you I just need my claws," I say and I imagine he is glaring at me under that stupid mask.

  "That's going to leave a mark," Nightwing quips next to me.

  He is still in a ready position, looking at each of us.

  "Your move," Artemis speaks up, and he knows he is outnumbered.

  As much as it annoys me to say it, Deathstroke is a talented assassin, and a hard person to beat, but against all of us? We have better odds.

  "Pick wisely," Will adds, he and Artemis training their arrows on him.

  Deathstroke straightens out, looking at us before saying, "This isn't over."

  He throws smoke bombs on the floor and Nightwing and I both move, him throwing a wingding and me throwing a dagger in the smoke, hoping to hit him.

  When the smoke clears, he is gone, and our weapons are edged into the wall behind where he stood.

  "Everyone okay?" Nightwing asks, and we all nod.

  "I can go get the kids," I volunteer, nodding to the unconscious people on the floor, "You guys should probably start cleaning them up." I don't wait for a response, but pause after a minute, "Actually, Superboy should probably come with. That symbol on your chest is probably a lot more calming than me."

"Good idea," Artemis agrees, "no offense."

  I hold up my hands, slipping my claws back in, "none taken."

  Conner and I walk out of the main run and down to the basement.

  I stop on the way, leaning against the wall for a few moments.

  "You okay?" He asks, realizing this is actually why I asked him to come.

  Well a part of it, I really do think the kids will be more trusting of him than me.

  I breathe in and out for a few moments before nodding, "Yeah, I just needed a minute."

  He nods and doesn't say anything else before we open the door and walk down more stairs.

  We know we are close when we hear talking and then someone shushes the others.

  I find the light switch and turn it on, causing a few gasps in the room.

  Six kids, some no older than eight, look back at us.

  "Are you here to help us?" The oldest looking of the bunch asks and I feel myself grow pale.

  He had to be around thirteen with dirty blonde hair and blue eyes, his face looking somber as he held the hand of a little girl with brown hair and blue eyes to match his.

  I mentally shake my head to ignore the thoughts swarming in my mind before I smile, lightly and move to pick the lock.

"Yes, if that's okay with you guys?"

  They all nod and the lock comes free, and I open the steel cage they had these poor kids locked in.

  The little girl attached to the boy looked to be the youngest, and she looked between Superboy and I.

"Who are you?"

  "I'm Catgirl, and that is Superboy." I nod to Conner who gives them a smile.

  "Catgirl," the girl repeats then smiles, "I heard your name on the news when my parents were watching."

  "You did?" I ask and hold out a hand for her and another girl. "What did they say about me?"

  The other girl takes my hand with ease, looking more at Conner than me and I know she recognizes him. Most of the others seem to as well as they take my hand to step out of the cage before crowding around him.

  The girl smiles shyly before saying, "That you were good and you were dating Nightwing."

My eyebrows shot up at that, "What?"

  Conner almost started laughing but covered it with a cough.

  "Yeah, the news lady said that you saved people together and they said you were dating." She nods and takes my hand.

  "Hmm." Is all I say because I had no idea this rumor was going around in the news.

To be fair, I don't watch the news.

  The little girl reaches up for my mask and I grab her hand, "Oh, no, that's a secret." I say and put my finger to my lips.

  "Sophie, you know better," the boy says next to her before sending me an apologetic look.

  "Do you know what the guy who took you all looks like?" I ask.

  "He was tall, brown hair, brown eyes, pale skin." The boy supplies before shrugging, "I saw him talking to my sister and followed him when he grabbed her. He found me and to me too."

  "That's pretty brave of you," Conner voices my thoughts but I only give him a smile before I stand up from my crouch.

  "Well let's get you guys home then," I say, and try not to laugh when I realize half the kids are handing off Conner like he is a jungle gym.

  He gives me a slightly helpless look as they cling to his legs.

"Anyone want a piggyback ride?"

  Almost all of their hands shot up, but I just let the nearest jump on my back, the girl who had taken my hand first.

  My other hand holds the brunette girl's hand, her brother still holding onto her.

  The little girl on my back tightens her arms a little too tight around my neck and I tap her arm lightly with my free hand, " Hold on a little looser, okay?" I ask gently and she nods and does what I ask.

  Conner now had a boy on his back and was holding the hands of two girls.

  Conner lets me go first, and I lead my group up the stairs and back to the others.

  When I get there, Artemis and Will are gone and it's only Nightwing talking to the police.

  We are supposed to be a secret team, so my guess is that he sent them out so it looked less suspicious.

  When Nightwing notices Conner and I are back, he starts walking to us and the little girls attached to me start getting excited.

  The one holding my hand jumps up and down and the one on my back starts kicking her feet as she says, "You were right, they are dating!" To the little girl.

  "Whose dating?" Nightwing asks, catching their words.

  "You and Catgirl," the little girl says shyly again as she twists back and forth, moving closer to her brother. "The news said so."

  The look on Nightwing's face tells me he didn't know that was a rumor either.

  "I hate to break it to you girls, but we aren't dating," I say crouching down so the one on my back can jump off.

  They both pout, and the boy looks before the two of us before saying, "Surrre."

  I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow at him, but he smiles at me, not phased.

  Conner puts his kids down too, and they join mine.

  "I think she is dating Superboy." One of the girls he was holding says.

  "Umm, that's definitely not what's happening," Conner speaks up.

  "I'm not dating either of them," I defend, but the girls are all looking at Conner and Nightwing with small blushes on their faces.

"Why not?" One of them asks.

  I open my mouth to say something but stop as a cop walks over to us.

  "Their parents are all down at the station. We can give them a ride. Thank you guys for your help." He nodded to us.

  Nightwing shakes his hand and says, "Just happy to help."

  The kids wave goodbye to us as they are walking away, but I can't help but watch the two siblings walking away before I start walking after them.

  Conner shrugs to Nightwing when he looks at him for an answer but they both let me go.

  I put my hand on the boy's shoulder before bending down slightly to look between the two.

  "I just wanted to say it was really awesome you care so much to look after your sister like that. You should be proud of yourself. Just remember to grab a grownup next time you go headfirst into danger." The boy smiles and nods before I look at the little girl, "And you, make sure you let your brother know how much you appreciate him. You guys try to stay out of trouble and watch over each other." I say causing them to look at each other and then smile back at me.

"We will." They promise.

  I smile at them and stand straight, but before I can turn to leave the girl grabs my hand and gestures for me to come closer.

  I lean closer and she whispers, "So you really aren't dating Nightwing?"

  I raise an eyebrow at her before looking back to Conner and him, his eyes on me and the kids and he raises an eyebrow at us looking back at him causing the girl to giggle.

  I decided to humor her instead of telling her the truth.

  "Not yet," I say after I turn back to her, "Do you think I should?"

She nods, "He is really cute."

  I laugh slightly, "He is," I admit before looking at the boy, "what do you think?"

  The boy looks back to Nightwing for a few moments and seems to be thinking before he shrugs and says, "He seems pretty cool."

  "He is sometimes," I say before I look at both of them, "I will see what I can do."

  They smile at this and both give me a high five before turning and walking to the cop that was waiting for them at the door.

  I watch them go with a small smile on my face before I turn to Nightwing and Conner, wiping it off as if nothing happened.

  "What was that about?" Nightwing asks when I am close enough to hear him.

  I shrug and flash a mischievous smile at him, "A secret."

  He lets out a sigh, and I know he is giving up even though he doesn't want to.

  Instead, he looks me up and down before saying, "Is that a new suit?"

  It is. I couldn't get the bloodstain out of the other one fast enough to wear it on this mission.

  It was almost the same as my other one, but it was all back, and sort of looked more like Catwoman's suit.

"Maybe."

  "Are you ever going to actually answer questions?"

I smirk and say, "Yes, if that one counts."

  He shakes his head at me and lets out a breath, "I don't feel like it does."

  "I think it does," Conner sides with me, causing Nightwing to look at him in shock.

I laugh at his face before shaking my head.

  "Come on boys, we've had a long day, and I don't know about you, but I feel like tomorrow is going to be even longer."

________________________________

A/N:
____
how do you think this is going to end? 🤔

did you like this new chapter? 🤭
favorite part?

_____________
£thanks for reading, don't forget to vote & comment !!

xoxo, author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 235 77
Welcome! This book is a little different to my other ones, this is indeed ONLY preferences- no one shots. Requests are CLOSED! WARNING: Potential sp...
126K 2.1K 87
I write imagines and preferences about YJ and the Batfam, hence the title. I tried to make all of my pieces gender neutral, but not all of them are...
228K 9.1K 27
After the death of his parents, Dick Grayson is taken in by his Uncle and trained to be a Talon. He has been training and preparing for four years of...
28.5K 1.8K 13
» Book 2 In The R Series « All is unicorns and gumdrops after the battle with Joker and Deathstroke! Dick has given up the hacking life and in turn r...