The Doctor, The Billionaire...

By MeganWriter

Faye Anderson is an OB/GYN who loves her job more than her social life, that is until one expected night chan... More

Be Social
Trouble Comes Knocking
You Never Called
Irateness and Incompetence
Something to Say
Hold Me Forever
I'm in Trouble
She Knows
Who is Colton?
The Normal Dr. Anderson
Anxiety Inducing
Bad Friend
The Rents'
House and Home
He's Home
Death Wish
Dramatic Entrance
Facing Them
Overbearing Danger
Don't Be a Hero
Its Only Pain
The Blame
How to Move On
Blinding Sorrow
The Gift of Life
Namesake
At Home
Holy Matrimony
Wedding Blues

Pain

831 32 8
By MeganWriter

Hey everyone! I just finished finals yesterday, sorry for the break in updates but I'm hoping to finish this book over break!! I'm also putting a TRIGGER WARNING on this chapter for domestic violence and mentions of sexual assault. Hope y'all enjoy!

***********

I need a scribe. I think to myself as I continue to fill out case notes from this morning's C-section. It would save me so much time, and there's always a plethora of college students to pick from, trying to beef up their applications for medical school. I SO don't miss those days. I physically shiver at the thought of taking the MCAT again before being startled out of my thoughts by the pager on my desk.

I sigh, picking up the wretched and old device before dialing the number that flashes on the screen of the pager.

Usually my residents carry the pagers, but Andy, my senior resident, had a family emergency. Considering that girl hasn't missed a single day of work since she started here, I had no problem carrying around the evil device for the day.

The phone only rings once before it's picked up.

"This is Nurse Amanda in the ED, how can I help you?"

"Hi Amanda! This is Dr. Anderson. I'm returning a page for a possible emergency consult?" I say, hopeful that the situation isn't grim.

Since finding out I was pregnant, things that I used to compartmentalize have found a way of taking over my mind. I haven't had a panic attack since my first ultrasound, but my anxiety has definitely increased ten-fold, to the point where I definitely should be considering some medications just to keep my heart from racing.

"Ah, yes, Dr. Anderson. It's not an OB/GYN consult but we were told you had the pager today. Your resident Andy Petersen was admitted to the ER and is refusing to speak with anyone until she sees you." The nurse finishes, and I can hear the apprehension and pity in her voice.

I shoot back from my desk, grabbing my jacket before I rush out of my office and towards the elevators.

"Can you tell me what happened? Do you know why she won't talk to anyone?" I ask, a pit forming in my stomach.

"I think it's better if you come down and discuss this in person Dr. Anderson, I don't want to say anything Dr. Petersen doesn't want me to."

"How bad is it? Is she stable?" I ask, jamming the buttons on the elevator, hoping it will miraculously make it move faster.

"She's stable, I honestly think she just needs some support before we treat her."

I swallow as a bit of relief passes through me. "Alright, I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Alright Dr. Anderson, she's in room 7."

I thank her before hanging up, and try to calm my shaking hands as I reach the first floor of the hospital. I don't bother saying sorry to the people I rush past, the only thing on my mind is getting to Andy, and wondering why the hell they were calling me and not family or her husband.

Andy had gotten married between undergrad and her first year of medical school. I have met her husband twice at random events but I know he puts in a lot of hours at some corporate job.

Other than that, Andy and I were close at work but neither of us know much about each other's personal lives. She was a second year resident when I became an attending here. When I started there wasn't a lot of respect because of my age. My brother always said "Faye Anderson never does anything half ass." and he was right. I was a full blown attending at the age of 27. Andy was the only resident in the beginning who bothered respecting and trusting me fully, and I will always be in debt to her for that.

As I approached room 7 of the hospital's emergency department, my steps faltered, terrified of what I would see on the other side of the sliding door. I wish I would have prepared myself more, but realistically nothing would prepare me for what I was about to see.

I couldn't even contain my gasp as my eyes met Andy's almost unrecognizable face. Her nose was clearly broken and I don't think there was a portion of her skin without a bruise on it. As my eyes continued to trail her form I could see the strangulation marks on her neck, and the defensive wounds on her arm. Blood coated her face as well, and I had to swallow the bile that quickly made its way up my throat.

Finally tearing my eyes away from Andy, I move them to the two male police officers cramped in the corner of the small room, both of their faces firm and emotionless.

I force myself into the room and move to Andy's bedside.

"Andy, what happened?" I whisper.

At this, she lets out a choked sob and grabs my hand. I use my other hand to gently stroke her hair, and have to hold back a sob of my own.

After a few moments, one of the officers clears their throats and speaks. "Dr. Petersen, would it be alright if a nurse and doctor came in and assessed you now, and we take your statement?"

Andy's grip on my hand tightens before she nods.

One of the officers leaves to go grab the nurse and doctor, and I stare off into space, trying to keep my stomach under control. The last thing any of us need is me throwing up.

The officer quickly returns, and a young nurse and doctor, neither whom I recognize, enter the room.

I push myself towards the head of the gurney to try and give them the most room possible without letting go of Andy's hand. They don't say anything as they begin working, checking for a concussion first.

"Alright Dr. Petersen, I'm officer Grant and this is officer Hughs, do you think you can walk us through what happened, do you know who did this?" The officer who brought back the nurse and doctor asks.

I can see Andy visibly shaking and I use my thumb to rub soothing circles on the back of her hand, hoping it will help somehow.

"It was my husband." She whispers, and I have to fight to keep a straight face.

"What's his name?" Officer Hughs asks, taking notes on a notepad.

"Michael Petersen." She answers, her voice a bit louder this time.

"Can you walk us through what happened? If at any time you need a break, just let us know." The same officer says.

Andy takes a deep breath before beginning. "I took today off because I needed to ask my husband for a divorce. He's barely home and so I knew today was my best option. He got home from a business trip this morning and he was agitated, but I didn't care. I needed to be free." She says, her voice breaking.

"I gave him the papers and told him I was done, that he needed to stay somewhere else and he lost it. I don't know how long the beating lasted but the next thing I remember is being loaded into an ambulance. Do you know who called them?" She asks, trying to piece together fragments of her memory.

Officer Hughs shifts before looking up. "A neighbor walking a dog heard screams and called 911. By the time the first officers arrived your husband had fled. I assume he heard the sirens and bolted. They're searching your house and the area now."

Andy nods, shifting uncomfortably as the doctor palpates her face.

"Has he ever hit you before?" Officer Grant asks.

Andy nods in response. "Since before we were married. In the beginning it was slaps here and there, and as time went on his hits became more bruising but he never put them in visible places until today. He told me I couldn't leave now, that he ruined me and I was too ugly to find anyone else. That's the last thing I remember before the ambulance."

I don't bother hiding the small sob that leaves my body. Andy had been trapped for years, even before we knew each other. She finally got the strength to leave and he does this.

"What made you decide to leave?" Officer Hughs asks, scribbling down more notes.

"He became more violent and mean in the last few months and I finally had enough money stowed away that I would be okay without our joint accounts. I finally wanted to live for myself." Andy says, tears streaming down her battered face.

I think if it were possible, you would be able to hear my heart crack in this moment.

"Alright Dr. Petersen, we have a couple more questions and then we'll let the medical team finish up." Officer Hughs says swallowing, and his face looking more grim than before. "Did he sexually assault you today, has he ever sexually assaulted you?"

I bite my lip waiting for Andy's response. "He didn't rape me today but he has in the past."

The officers nod, and I can see the anger behind their eyes. It's almost reassuring.

I don't even bother trying to wipe the tears that are streaming down my face, and I think back to every moment I've ever had with Andy, wondering how the hell I didn't know she needed help.

"Alright, lastly, is there someone you can stay with? We don't believe it's safe for you to return to your house when you're released from the hospital."

Andy hesitates for a few seconds, and before she responds I jump in. "She can stay with me." The officers nod, and Andy doesn't put up a fight.

They take pictures of Andy's injuries before bidding us goodbye, leaving their cards in case anything comes up.

We sit in silence for a few minutes before Andy speaks. "Thank you, Faye." She says in a small breaking voice.

I simply nod, wiping the never-ending tears from my face.

"Alright Dr. Petersen, we're going to send you up for an MRI. You definitely have a concussion and I suspect you have some cracked ribs and a fractured cheek bone, as well as a broken nose." The ER doctor says in a soft voice.

Andy simply nods, and I tell her I'll wait for her to come back from the MRI.

They all leave and I sit in the small room, trying to soak everything that just happened before a sob breaks out of me. I rush out of the room and into the small bathroom across the hall, emptying my body of whatever I had eaten today.

After sitting on the floor for a few minutes, I finally collect myself and make my way back into Andy's room, pulling out my phone to call Colton.

"Hey baby, what's up?" He says chirpily, and I almost feel guilty knowing I'm about to ruin his mood.

I choke back the sob I have building before speaking. "I got a page that one of my residents, Andy, was in the ER. She tried to leave her husband this morning and he beat her within an inch of her life." I say, finally letting more sobs out. "I told her she can stay with us, it's not safe for her to go home."

Colton swears on the other end of the call, and I can hear movement before a door shuts.

"Jesus Christ Faye I'm so sorry, do you need me to come get you? Of course she can stay with us, it's your house."

"No, I have teaching rounds in an hour at 1, I just really needed to hear your voice, and thank you. I'm sorry I didn't check with you first."

I can hear him let out a breath, knowing he's definitely not thrilled that he can't come flying in here to rescue me like some superhero. If there's one thing I've learned about Colton, it's that he's protective of the people around him, almost over protective. I almost feel bad for his little sister.

"Don't worry about checking with me, she needs to be safe. Let me know when you leave for today and I'll meet you at home. "

I agree before hanging up, having to stop myself from blurting out "I love you". Neither of us have said it yet, and I'll be damned if the first time I do it's over the phone in the middle of a crisis.

They wheel Andy back in 30 minutes later, letting us know that she'll have to be admitted for a few days. I can imagine she's not thrilled about having to be admitted where she works but since it won't be the labor and delivery floor, she'll have fewer familiar faces.

I feel guilty leaving her to go do teaching rounds but she assures me it's okay, and thanks me again for coming. I already told her she shouldn't be thanking me, but it falls on deaf ears.

Making my way out of the ED to the labor and delivery floor my mind runs at a million miles per minute, and I can finally feel how weak I feel. I pull out my phone as I walk and email the two people I have meetings with this afternoon that we need to reschedule due to an emergency.

Before making it to the meeting spot for teaching rounds I stop by a bathroom and splash cold water on my face, trying to eliminate how red and puffy I look. Before leaving I turn to the side and smooth my hands over my small protruding stomach, thankful for the bagginess of scrubs. I still haven't told anyone from work besides my medical student Marissa and Liz that I'm pregnant. I can't shake the feeling that if I start celebrating this pregnancy, something bad is going to happen.

I know its anxiety, but I can't help it. I had even refused to find out the sex of the baby at my 20 week appointment last Friday, feeling like knowing would "jinx" something. Colton seemed fine with being surprised, and I'm thankful for that.

When I finally get to the maternity ward everyone is waiting for me but I don't feel an ounce of guilt for being a few minutes late.

"Alright everyone, let's move this along."

"Where's Dr. Petersen?" One of the medical students asks, and everyone's curious gaze turns toward me.

I have to stop myself from sucking in a breath. "She's out today, and won't be back for a bit. There was a family emergency." I say, not elaborating further before I lead them to the first patient room.

We have a full list, and I can feel the exhaustion weighing on my body as we leave the last room.

"Dr. Anderson did you hear me?" Marissa asks, startling me.

I look up to meet the gazes of the other medical students and residents, and they look concerned.

"Sorry no, what was that?" I say, trying to shake the fog from my brain.

"Did you want to look up those lab levels on the Harper family before we end? I know they were concerned about the jaundice and the labs should be back by now since it's been an hour since we started rounding."

"Yeah, thank you for the reminder." I say, turning towards one of the many computer stations in the hallway.

When I turn, a ringing in my ears starts, and my vision starts to narrow and I curse myself for not grabbing something to eat after throwing up earlier.

Before I really understand what's happening I'm falling and the corner of my head makes contact with the counter of the computer station.

I groan, laying on the floor, willing the ringing in my ears to go away.

"Dr. Anderson!" I can hear Marissa yell.

"Call Colton." I mumble out.

"Dr. Anderson, can you hear me?" I hear another voice say, one I don't recognize.

"Call Colton." I try and say louder this time.

"She's pregnant!" I hear a frantic Marissa say before everything goes silent.

**********

I groan, feeling like my body got hit by a freight train, and try and sit up as I open my eyes.

"Hang on baby, easy." I hear as I finally get my eyes open, squinting at the brightness of the room.

When they're fully open, I have a concerned looking Colton in front of me with his hands on my shoulders, keeping me from sitting up.

"Fuck." I murmur, and he cracks a grin.

"Yeah, fuck seems about right." He says softly. "Let me go let them know you're awake. Don't try to get up." He says firmly.

I probably would have rolled my eyes if my head didn't hurt so freaking bad.

Colton returns a few moments later, shockingly with Dr. Fanning behind him.

"Jesus Christ Faye, you managed to scare all of our residents and med students. Marissa cried."

I let out a sign as she comes over to sit on the corner of my bed.

"Want to walk me through what happened?" She says with her eyebrows raised.

"Did you hear about Andy?" I ask quietly. She nods, sporting the same heartbroken face I'm sure I was.

"I threw up when they took her for her MRI and I meant to get something to eat before teaching rounds but I didn't have time. When we were finishing up I turned too fast to turn to the computer and passed out." I say, trying to remember what happened after I hit the floor.

She nods. "You smacked your head pretty good on the way down. You have a couple stitches on the right side of your forehead just below your hairline. It shouldn't leave an obvious scar." She says, and I shrug as she continues.

"They paged me as soon as Marissa told them you were pregnant. I was already on my way to the floor so I was there a few minutes after it happened. You kept mumbling for someone to call Colton." She says, giving me a small smile as Colton grabs my hand.

"When can I go home?" I ask.

"You're good to go as soon as the discharge papers clear, no concussion. Your iron is still on the lower side and your blood sugar was low but everything else looked good. Baby was active when I did a quick scan." She says, pulling a few pictures out of her lab coat.

I smile, brushing my thumb over the small form that definitely resembles a baby more than an alien now. Just as I do I feel the baby roll in my stomach and I flinch, still not used to the foreign feeling. Both Liz and Colton look at me concerned and I grab Coltons hand to my stomach just as the baby rolls again, and Colton's smile is earth shattering.

Liz chuckles and shakes her head. "Alright Faye, the nurse will be in to discharge you soon. Get some rest, take the rest of the week off." I give in without a fight, knowing that I need the break mentally and physically.

"Sorry about the extra patients." I say smugly as she walks out the door.

She simply rolls her eyes, and then she's gone.

I look over to Colton whose hand is still on my stomach, feeling the baby continue to move, almost like they know we need reassurance.

After a few moments, Colton speaks up. "Are you trying to put me in an early grave, woman?" He asks, and I wince as I chuckle, the force causing pain in my head.

"It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't smacked my head on the way down."

He simply hums in response, brushing his thumb across my cheek.

"Get some more rest while we wait for the nurse, I'm gonna go grab you some food."

I nod, already half asleep again, wishing I was in my own bed.

Colton flicks off the lights as he leaves, and with that I'm out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.7K 783 26
love story between a doctor and a childish girl.
118K 8.1K 7
{a Wattpad featured story} Everything in this book is real. Minor details have been altered to protect those who know me. I'm a female thoracic surge...
19K 253 36
doctor husband who is strict and shy ,innocent wife.
37.6K 670 24
Half way through senior year Olivia has a drunken one night stand with her best friends friend. Then it turns into friends with benefits. Then it t...