The Shrewd Wolves (H&HP Serie...

By shruthii

"You don't want a mate and neither do I. So for the sake of our wolves, let's just complete the mating proces... More

Description
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Epilogue

Chapter 22

48.1K 1.5K 217
By shruthii

Presenting Chapter 22 which is dedicated to @_dholie_ :D

I love Lorcan and when I googled, I found this cute little boy, who is almost as same as the Lorcan I imagine :D So, Pic on the above of Lorcan ^^^^

****

“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!” 
― Rumi
The Essential Rumi

DARYA P.O.V

“Three, four, Knock at the door” I heard Lorcan singing, the moment I climbed out of my car.

“Five, six, pick up the sticks.” I smiled as I saw Lorcan sitting on Sel’s lap and singing, while she was cutting his nails.

“Seven, eight, lay them straight. Nine, Ten-”

“A big fat hen” I shouted louder than Lorcan because I always loved that rhyme.

“Daroo” Lorcan screamed and getting of Sel’s lap, he rushed towards me.

“My baby-bear, I missed you so much” I cooed kissing the top of his head. Lorcan let out a loud shout of laughter as I tickled his stomach. “Alright, let’s go inside” I said when he fell on his butt near my feet. “And your Cadbury is in this” I told him handing him my handbag. Just like Sel’s grandpa, Lorcan too loved Cadbury’s.

Chuckling, I looked up and found Sel staring at me with an amused expression. “You let him mark you” she stated and I gulped. This is why I think Sel knows me better than I know myself. She knew Quillon could not have marked me if I did not want it.

“Surprise” I tried to be cute but Sel just shook her head.

“Come in” she said walking inside the house. Pouting, I did as told.

“You will tell Duncan?” I asked sitting on the couch, while Lorcan ran away to bring a pair of scissors.

“What do you think?” she asked smirking and I nervously licked my bottom lip. I think it is better that way. Sel telling him and getting him prepared for it, then him actually flipping when he sees my mark. “How and when did this happen?” Sel asked handing me a glass of juice.

I told her everything but cut some details, like us making out for one.

“What about Quillon. How does he feel about the mark?” she demanded after I told her, I was okay with the mark.

“He is okay with it too” I said with a shrug and lowered my head to hide my blush.

“He told you so?”

“Yes” I said and glanced up when there was no reply from her. I growled when I found Sel frowning. “What?” I asked annoyed.

Sel sighed and said, “Just wondering if that sixty days crap of yours is cancelled or still in existence?”

“Cancelled. I think” I said unsurely.

“You think?”

“We did not actually talk about that”

“Then do” she said and that very moment, Lorcan jumped on the couch and handed me the scissor so that I could cut the wrapper.

“Why did you bring Cadbury again? Ma and pa had come home last week, they brought Cadbury’s too” Sel muttered while I cut the wrapper.

 “That one is from his grandparents, this one’s from me” I said and Lorcan grinned.

“Just two pieces” Sel warned Lorcan.

“No. Mama… five”

“I will make it one” she threatened.

“Three please?” Lorcan reasoned.

“Fine. Only three” she said and Lorcan beamed. Chuckling, I gave him three pieces and handed the rest to Sel, much to Lorcan’s protest because he knew she would hide it and only give two pieces per day to him.

“He has his school Annual Day in November” Sel informed.

“You are in any dance?” I asked him and he shook his head. “Then?”

“I am the MC” he said happily and I gasped. Lucky boy! An MC when he is only five. I was first chosen as an MC when I was twelve.

“That’s awesome” I said proudly placing a kiss on his head.

“The school has given him three pages of his speech that he has to deliver” Sel said watching Lorcan, who once again ran to bring those sheets. “Are you free next Saturday?” Sel asked abruptly and I nodded.  “Good! I am going to meet the girls in Elegance. Come” she invited.

Almost immediately a bulb in my head flashed and Grace popped in my mind. This is my chance! I can make Grace meet Cortez there.

“I am coming” I told Sel with a grin.

I was there for another half-an-hour in their home listening and also helping Lorcan say some of his lines. Then, I went to meet my guards especially Mikhail, who was hypnotized by Konrad recently, but luckily he was fine. The others were there and they were shocked to see the mark in my neck, but I made them promise not to tell Duncan about it.

“But how could he mark you just like that?” Nick inquired with a growl. “You are only trying for two months right?” he asked and I frowned at him.

“I don’t know about that. I am going to talk to him about it” I said more to myself than Nick.

The sun was already below the horizon when I reached Serene. Quinn was finally awake and he was playing in his tab. “Where is Quillon?” I asked.

“With his friends” he said without looking up while I walked past him. “Wait a minute, you smell… Q marked you” Quinn said and I turned to face him from where I stood in the stairs. “When?” he asked startled.

“Yesterday” I said and before he could ask any more questions, I rushed upstairs to change.

___

I heard her before I saw her. “Darya” Grace called me happily from downstairs and I took in a long breath. I put on my knitted cardigan and head downstairs to greet her.

“Oh My! It is true. I thought Quinn was messing with me” Grace said the moment she saw me. “Q marked you” she grinned and I blushed profoundly. “I am so happy for you both” she cried hugging me.

I was so surprised by her hug that I didn’t know what to do. So, I stood there and kept smiling.

“This is definitely a step forward. Are you going to join our pack now Darya?” Grace asked pulling away and I froze.

Join Serene? Just like that?

Sensing the change in my mood, Grace smiled softly, “I understand. Take your time” she said softly and I let out a breath.  “But I can’t wait to share this news with the pack” she added merrily and once again I smiled.

“When did he mark you?” Quinn demanded after Grace left.

“Yesterday” I said.

“Oh… That’s what you were doing after you left the party” Quinn mused and I turned scarlet to the roots of my hair.

Clearing my throat, I decided to change the topic. “What happened afterwards?”

“I won a bet” he replied proudly, “And also got drunk as skunk”

“Where were you last night though?”

“I partied till six in the morning. Most of the boys were still there. It was raining quite hardly, so we all decided to stay there and continue partying” he said and I nodded.

“Whose turn to cook?” I demanded.

“Quillon. He will return after sometime. He has gone to yell at his friends”

“Why?”

“Because they let me and my underage friends drink as much as we want” Quinn smirked and I shook my head.

Quillon stormed inside the house a few minutes later and stopped when he saw us in the living room. “Hey Q, just prepare salad alright, I want to eat something light” Quinn told him and he nodded.

“Come upstairs. I need your help with something” Quillon told me and perplexed, I followed after him.

“Help with what?” I asked entering our room.

“I forgot” Quillon said before going for a shower, leaving me all the more confused.

___________

Serene Pack, April 1968

It was a spring morning. But the fresh weather was tainted by the blood of innocent pack wolves. Ripped bodies of wolves lain on the mud, drenched by blood.

There was blood everywhere. That is what Stephen Sanders, Alpha of Serene Pack noticed first. He swallowed audibly when he saw his friends on the ground. Not one breathing.

A small dispute on the land area with the Emperor Pack started out as usual the previous day. However, it turned into a brutal war, by this morning. No one anticipated these many deaths of Serene Pack Wolves. No one expected Herbert Rhoades to seek help from other Alphas’ on what appeared to be a small dispute between Serene and Emperor Pack. But Herbert Rhoades had asked help from his friends- Alpha Benjamin Norwood of Regal Pack and Alpha Angus Hampton of Supreme Pack.  

Wolves lost their lives. Many from Serene Pack because only trained and experienced warriors from the other three packs had come to fight. The Serene Pack wolves were outnumbered and even with their best efforts, they were no match to their adversaries.

When another one of Stephen’s wolves slumped on the ground, without any life left, Stephen growled and clenched his hands tightly but nothing could stop his lean body from trembling in rage. Twenty summers old Stephen, took the Alpha title two years ago after the death of his adored father.

Whenever an enemy wolf, would attack one of his friends, Stephen would rush towards them and fight against the enemy wolf. He would save his friends and overpower the enemies, but he would not kill any enemies. He kept on protecting his pack wolves from the danger, never letting them fight.

Stephen could not take it anymore. Watching his friends, his beloved pack members breathing their last was too much to bear. He did not want any more innocent wolves dying. Be it from his pack or the other packs. This was supposed to be a dispute and conclude like a dispute.

Taking a deep breath, he started walking towards the enemy side. The three Alpha allies stood tall and proud on their side, but they narrowed their astute eyes when they saw the young Alpha marching towards them.

“Stop this” Stephen told looking at Herbert Rhoades’s cold green eyes.

“Why should I?” Herbert Rhoades, an Alpha in his late thirties asked cocking one perfect dark brow.

“Innocent wolves are dying here today over a land dispute” Stephen told the Alpha.

“A land dispute?” Alpha Benjamin Norwood of Regal pack said in an aghast tone. “My friend, is the boy speaking the truth?” he turned to ask Herbert Rhoades. Stephen realized that Herbert Rhoades had lied to his own friend, to include him to a fight.

“You should have thought about that before you entered into a dispute with me boy” Herbert Rhoades said harshly.

“But he has thought about it now. I think it’s time we stop the fighting because the boy is right, innocent wolves are dying” Alpha Benjamin Norwood, of Regal Pack told Herbert.

Immediately wolves stopped fighting because the dialogue between the Alphas’ had earned their interest and they wanted to know what decision the Alphas’ will come to at the end.

“You can leave and take your wolves along, if you want to Benjamin, but I am not going to stop” Herbert Rhoades said annoyed.

“My friend, I suggest you to think again. Not only did they lose wolves, but we have lost our wolves too and for what… a land dispute? Matters, of this kind must be discussed and solved; blood should not be shed for such issues” Benjamin Norwood, reasoned favorably and Stephen sent him a smile of gratitude.

“What is your say on this, Angus?” Benjamin then demanded with Alpha Angus Hampton of Supreme Pack, who was silent for a long-long time.

“I agree with you Benjamin” Angus said and looked at Herbert Rhoades, who was glaring at Stephen Sanders. “Herbert, I think it is for the best that we stop this war and come to some agreement through discussion” Angus said gently.

“Discussion” Herbert Rhoades scorned, curling his lips. “Women discuss. Not men. Real men, fight in the war” he said raising his chin, defiantly.

At his refusal for peace, Stephen was outraged. Standing straight, he looked Herbert Rhoades in the eyes and growled out, “I am not prepared to risk the lives of my pack wolves, to prove to you that I am a man.”

“Very well. Then I suppose you are ready to risk your own life?” Herbert Rhoades demanded with a smirk and Stephen Sanders narrowed his dark eyes.

“Fight with me pup” Herbert Rhoades commanded staring at the young Alpha. “Fight with me in this very ground and then we will come to a conclusion that will be followed by all our descendants” he added and then challenged, “What do you have to say to this agreement boy?”

Stephen Sanders agreed to the fight because it would give a solution to all the problems both the packs were facing. No innocent blood would drench the mud.

“So it is decided then” Benjamin Norwood said, after Stephen nodded in agreement. “Angus and I will act as witnesses to the fight” he shouted, out loud and all the pack wolves agreed to their Alphas’ decisions.

A circle was formed and both the Alphas’ stepped inside it. Herbert Rhoades smirked because he knew he could easily defeat this young, inexperienced pup.

However, little did Herbert Rhoades know that it was easier said than done.

The fight started and both the Alphas’ threw themselves against each other. They fought like the brave warriors they were. They punched, they dodged, they kicked and they flipped. They growled at each other, they clawed each other’s rough skin. They spat their own blood, they shed their opponent’s blood, but the fight did not come to an end.

Their skin soaked in blood also glistened with sweat. Wolves from the packs, gathered to see such a fight where neither was winning nor losing.

No matter how much Herbert Rhoades attacked, Stephen continued defending himself. He never gave up. He fell on the ground; he got up again surprising every single wolf. A young pup, just out of his teens, fighting with an experienced Alpha seemed like an unfair match to everyone but now as they watched the pup fight back, they were all perplexed. Such valor, such strength of mind and body at a young age was appreciated by everyone.

But like everything that has to come to an end, the fight did come to an end two hours later. Stephen Sanders lost after taking a blow to his head. He lost only because he was tired. He fell on the ground and lain there, with closed eyes trying to take as much oxygen as possible.

He expected humiliating laughter and cheers but was greeted by none. There was complete silence from the crowd even after Herbert Rhoades was declared the winner.

Stephen gathered enough energy and raised his lashes, to see that the winner was also slumped on the ground beside him trying to breathe like a normal person.

Water was provided in abundance for both the Alphas’ and once their wolves healed; both stood up and decided to come to a conclusion.

“I accept defeat” Stephen Sanders said in a breathless voice, locking gaze with Herbert Rhoades.

As a reply, Herbert Rhoades stepped forward and extended his hand. Surprised, Stephen Sanders took his hand for a formal handshake.

“I accept defeat too” Herbert Rhoades said with a genuine smile in his face.

Seeing that smile, Benjamin Norwood and Angus Hampton stepped forward and patted the young Alphas’ back. “Well done warrior” they told him flaunting their own smile.

“You may have lost the fight, but your spirit won every single heart here” Benjamin Norwood told Stephen proudly.

“We bow to your courageousness Alpha” Herbert Rhoades said and then genuflected on the ground. Placing a hand over his heart, he bowed in respect.

Soon everyone else followed and the only standing wolf was the young warrior- Alpha Stephen Sanders.

The Alphas’ agreed to a deal for the sake of their pack wolves. The lake would be a border for the Emperor as well as the Serene Pack wolves. It had been decided that wolves from either packs would not cross the lake, for doing so was considered as breaching into the other pack territory. The wolves that trespassed would be held as a prisoner in the other pack for a week, before they are allowed to return home. This was done so that they could respect their own pack boundaries.

The sky was a shade of orange and violet when Stephen Sanders returned home with the surviving Serene Pack wolves. He was greeted by his younger brother Richard Sanders at the doorstep.

“What happened?” Richard demanded curiously.

“I lost a fight, fair and square but I still earned their respect” Stephen replied with a pleased smile.

“You lost a fight?” Richard, a fourteen-year old pup asked in a sad voice.

“Do not worry little one. Everything is going to be fine” Stephen said ruffling his younger brother’s dark hair. “Inform the pack that there is a meeting at nine tonight” Stephen told his brother, who nodded with a worried look.

In the meeting, Stephen shared with his pack members, what had happened in the fight and what decision the packs had come to. He commanded all his pack members to follow the decision in respectful manner.

That night, Stephen lain in his bed fast asleep. The tiredness of the day had seeped in and he fell asleep the moment his head touched the pillow.

Stephen woke up, when a gentle, angelic voice called his name. As he looked around, he realized he was in a forest meadow, where fresh flowers bloomed on all the plants, butterflies fluttered their wings merrily, birds chirped joyously. Green trees, with thick green leaves canopied the ground from the sun rays.

Stephen furrowed his brows in frank bewilderment. He looked here and there, until his eyes fell on a charlock plant. Many butterflies flew around the yellow flower of the plant, but a certain one distinguished from the others because of its cabbage white wings.

As if sensing his gaze, the white butterfly flew away from the plant and out of curiosity Stephen followed the butterfly striding off the covers of the leaves, towards an open field.

He stopped in his tracks when he saw the white butterfly sitting atop a green leaf. There was a gentle gush of wind and Stephen closed his eyes letting the breeze cool his hot skin. His eyes flew open when he heard sounds of leaves ruffling.

At first he thought there was a small animal in the field and searched for it, but his eyes widened when he saw a vine on the ground, twirling on its own accord. His eyes trailed to find where it led to and as he followed the vine, he found it entwined around a roots of a… tree.

As he looked up, Stephen gasped and took a step back in fear when he found that it was not a tree but a woman. The woman had thick mane of curly hair, the shade of vivid flames. Her body was made of a powerful trunk of an ancient tree and her eyes, the color of moss. The green vines around her kept twirling until the tree completely acquired a body of woman.

Stephen’s heart thumped violently and he wondered with fear, who this woman, who was now standing in front of him, in a green ankle length dress, mostly made out of leaves of various trees and plants, was.

“Do not fear me child” the woman said with a tender smile, “I mean you no harm.”

“Who are you?” Stephen breathed out nervously.

“They call me by different names- Nature, Earth, life, mother” she said and Stephen sucked in a breath as he realized that standing in front of him was none other than Mother Nature.

Without hesitation, he leant on one knee and bowed to his deity.

Slowly, he rose back up. “I know you must be wondering why you are here child” the goddess said and Stephen looked up with wide eyes.

“You are here because you are chosen” the goddess stated with pride.

“Chosen? For what?” Stephen asked genuinely perplexed.

“You are chosen to be my daughter’s mate” she replied smoothly. Stephen blinked, totally taken aback to hear the words. Mother Nature’s daughter? Who and where is this girl?

“Why am I chosen?” he demanded.

“You are chosen because you possess highly commendable qualities that assert only you are worthy of being an Alpha of the Alphas’. Earlier today, three most powerful Alphas’ of these land not only offered complete submission to you but also their utmost respect” The Goddess informed staring at Stephen’s dark eyes.

“However, you are not yet the Apex Predator I want you to be” she added dexterously.

“An Apex Predator?” Stephen whispered the words.

“An Apex Predator is the one who is at the top in the chain of command and is well-regarded by every shifter. Every wolf will submit to him, be it an Alpha or an omega. He has the greatest physical strength and most importantly, an apex predator, has control of all his senses. I want you to be an Apex Predator, child” the Goddess said and Stephen sucked in a breath.

“Why?” he asked in a barely audible voice.

“Thirty years from now, there will be a destruction of a pack that no one will be able to stop. I will be soaked by the blood of hundreds of innocents. It is a curse bestowed on me by the Gods and I should accept it. But that will just be a seed because events unfolding from then will lead to the birth of the son of devil, who if not stopped in time, will totally wipe out the entire werewolf race” she said sadly.

“No” Stephen gasped shaking his head. That cannot happen. He could not bear the thought that werewolves had no future after this son of devil was born.

“The son of devil will be invincible with the powers bestowed to him by his creators. However, when my daughter, a nature herself, and her mate come together his life will be threatened” The Goddess stated with precision.

“So, I ask you now, child, do you wish to be the Apex Predator?” The Goddess demanded, her moss green eyes, clashing with Stephen’s dark brown ones.

“I do” Stephen answered without any hesitation and Mother Nature smiled in satisfaction.

“It will take you a lifetime to hone in and gain complete control of your senses child” the Goddess warned.

“I am ready to do whatever it takes” Stephen said sincerely.

“I am pleased to hear it” she said quietly. “I want you to start right this minute child. I want you to give up every relation, every possession you have in this life and offer absolute submission to me. Devote your body and soul to me. I want you to let go of every material things in the world, purify your thoughts, gain control of all your senses, thus stabilizing your mind and when that is achieved, you shall be reborn to the same family you now belong and you shall be known as an Apex Predator” her voice, was a whisper towards the end. 

Stephen opened his eyes and sat up. Running a hand through his face, he looked at his surroundings. He was in his room. But Stephen knew very well that what happened was not just a dream. It was what Mother Nature wished from him and he had given her his word that he would abide by her wish.

He got up from his bed, took a shower, changed into a fresh set of clothes and went in to check his younger brother Richard, who was sleeping peacefully in his bed. He debated on writing a letter to his brother, but chose against it because he could not explain to his brother, the exact reason.

Sighing, he sat on the edge of the bed and said, “Forgive me little one. I promised you that I would never leave your side after our parent’s death. However today, I have to break that promise for the greater welfare of our kind. But know this that I loved you and will always love you. And if it’s the goddess’s wish, then we shall be born again in our next life as brothers.” Smiling tenderly, he ran his hands on his younger brother’s head for one last time.

Taking a deep breath, Stephen jumped out of the window, shifting into his wolf in the process and then took off to the woods, never to be seen again.

Richard was woken up next morning by the harsh rays of morning sun. Rubbing his eyes, he sat up and checked the time. His eyes widened when he realized it was ten in the morning and he was very late for the school. He wondered why his brother did not wake him up like he usually does.

Throwing off the covers, he got up and rushed to check on Stephen. His room was empty and Richard furrowed his brows. He called for him and when Stephen did not respond, he thought his brother had gone for a run. Sighing, Richard took bath and got dressed up to go to school. He had already missed two hours and he did not wish to be late.

The maid had prepared breakfast and Richard ate it quietly. When he was about to leave for his school, he decided to inform his brother and furrowed his brows when he could not connect with Stephen. He tried and tried, but failed. He asked his brother’s friends and they too could not connect with Stephen.

Half-an-hour later, a crowd had gathered in their house, wondering where Stephen was. One of the pack members spotted the shreds of Stephen’s clothes below Richard’s room window and thought he had gone for a run.

Richard waited an hour, a day, a week, but Stephen did not return. No one could trace him. Wolves tried, but failed every time. No one knew where he went.

After the second week, everyone started making their own stories. But Richard knew the truth, he knew that his brother was very badly humiliated in the war after he was defeated and that is why he left the pack, left him. Richard swore revenge.

A month passed by and Richard Sanders was made the new Alpha of the Serene Pack. By that time Richard had grown cold and his resentment towards the Emperor Pack grew stronger and stronger.

Three months later, a wolf from Emperor Pack accidently trespassed to Serene Pack territory and Richard ripped every single bone of that wolf. Herbert Rhoades was furious to learn about this and called Richard for an immediate meeting near the lake.

“You broke the rule boy” Herbert Rhoades growled out in fury glaring at the new Alpha.

“The rule was done by you and you coerced my brother into agreeing. But now that I am the Alpha of Serene Pack, I will follow no such bloody rules of yours” Richard hissed.

“I did not force your brother into agreeing. He agreed in his own free will” Herbert Rhoades said with a frown.

“You lie blatantly” Richard spat. “I do not trust a word you say; for you are the reason my brother left me.”

“I respected Stephen. He was the most courageous wolf, I have ever seen. I grieve for his disappearance just like you boy. So do not point that accusing finger at me” Herbert Rhoades warned.

“It is the truth when I say you humiliated him into leaving his own pack and I will not stand here listening your foul mouth utter my brother’s name” Richard imparted harshly.

“And I will not stand here listening to your false accusations” Herbert Rhoades stated emphatically.

“Then do not waste any more of my precious time” Richard sneered.

Herbert Rhoades was insulted beyond words at the cruelty depicted in this new Alphas’ words, who was total contrast to his considerate brother. “Very well then” he breathed out harshly and turned to leave.

The bond between the Emperor and Serene Pack which was mended by Stephen a few months ago, was broken that day never to be repaired.

Well, at least not until Quillon Sanders of Serene Pack was mated to Darya Kenrick of Emperor Pack.

****

The back story of the plot is finally out. Hope you liked it :)

Obvious question with an obvious answer: who is Stephen Sanders reborn? And what do you think are Q’s gifts?

If you are confused-

Herbert Rhoades- Duncan’s grandpa.

Benjamin Norwood- Sel’s grandpa.

Angus Hampton- Granel’s grandpa.

Richard Sanders- Quillon’s grandpa.

Next update will be on 11th.

Please read, vote and comment if you like it!

Love:-*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 139K 46
Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is finally free she wants nothing more than to...
66.8K 1.3K 52
- Book One of the Alpha series - -#734 (June 6, 2017) -#196 (May 12, 2018) -#26 (January 29, 2019) -#10 (July 14, 2020) _ I surrendered my c...
6.3K 378 13
True love. Mates. The very backbone of the werewolf species. But what happens when your Alpha mate rejects you? --------- Eden Cross is a Beta wo...
29.9K 1K 27
"...My eyes met his instantly, and before I could now my head in respect, I locked gazes with him, refusing to look away, my breath caught in my thro...