Love, Trauma, and Obsession (...

By A_Chenggg

Lan Ying, courtesy name Shanli, known by her title name "Chengsu-Ji". She is one of the Three Jades of Lan al... More

Author's Note
--
Main Character
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Note
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Extra - Chapter 1
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Extra - Chapter 2
Chapter 28
Chapter 30

Chapter 29

603 28 9
By A_Chenggg

Shanli and the others each carried a basket full of laundry. Even the small child A-Fei helped to carry a small basket with only light clothes in it so that it won't be heavy for her. The child seems to enjoy helping too. 

Lin Zhi walked closer to Shanli, worriedly looking at her, "Chengsu-Ji, let me take your basket. Maybe you should change your robes first. You'll get cold if you keep wearing your wet cloth." 

Shanli let out a chuckle, "Lin Zhi, I'm fine. If there's someone who needs to change, that should be Jin Ling and Shishi." Shanli's gaze moved to the two cousins.

"We're totally fine!" Jin Ling and Yu Shishi said in unison that made the others laugh. Not long after that, Jin Ling sneezed that made everyone laugh harder.

"Someone take his basket," Shanli ordered, holding back her laugh. Before Jin Ling could react, the other maids had already taken the basket in Jin Ling's hands.

Shanli added, "Shishi, you should go with Jin Ling and change your clothes too."

"But--"

"No buts. How do you think will your uncle react if he saw both of you soaked wet? It's not me who will get scolded. So listen to me and change your cloth. After we hang the laundry, let's go to the town and have some lunch there."

"I also want to go!!" A-Fei exclaimed, jumping around. 

Lan Shanli laughed softly and put her hands on the kid's head, rubbing it gently, "Sure A-Fei." the small child giggled, cheering loudly.

Lin Zhi then interrupted, "Chengsu-Ji! If your going to the town later then you should change your clothes too! Sect Leader will scold us if you also get a cold!"

The other maids then agreed to Lin Zhi, asking Shanli to change her clothes right away. Shanli was slowly getting troubled, she tried to assure, "Jiang Cheng won't sco--"

"Yes, he will. So give me your basket please." Lin Zhi was a stubborn woman and snatched the basket from Shanli.

Jiang Cheng actually won't scold them. They were just trying to make excuses to force Shanli to change her clothes. But they also have to look out for Lan Shanli's health as they know to themselves how important Shanli was to their Sect Leader. If Shanli did catch a cold just because of getting splashed by water from the river, this would be considered a piece of bad news for Jiang Cheng.

A smile was now plastered on her lips, her eyes were also almost smiling, "Well then! We will be going now!" 

The group of maids finally left with Jin Ling, Yu Shishi, and Lan Shanli's basket. The three stood there dumbstruck. Just how did the table turn. Shanli was just convincing the two cousins to change their cloth and had the other maid take their basket and now she was the one who get her basket snatched, asking her to change her clothes too.

Shanli sighed helplessly and murmured to herself, "Even if you ask me to change my cloth, I don't have any other cloth to wear."

Jin Ling heard this, "Maybe you can borrow mother's clothes?"

Shanli almost choked, "What are you saying. I can't just borrow your mother's cloth."

Suddenly, Shanli felt a presence coming from behind them. Then a voice interrupted, its voice was cold, "How can a woman like her borrow A-Li's cloth? She used A-Li to get closer to Jin Zixuan and also tried to claim their only son as her child, and now you're going to get her clothes too?! You really don't have any shame don't you?" 

Jin Ling and Yu Shishi abruptly turned around after hearing the familiar voice.

"Zumu..." Yu Shishi nervously uttered. Yu Shishi slowly gulped as she pluck up the courage and approach the old lady, "Zumu, what are you doing here?"

Yu Shishi grew up in Lotus Pier and she rarely sees her relatives in Meishan Yu. Her parents would just visit her sometimes. There were also some days that she would go back to Meishan Yu and stay there for a couple of days before going back to Lotus Pier. Her relationship with her grandma wasn't that good. She was not that close to her. When she was young, she once saw her grandma fighting with her husband, the sect leader of Yu Sect. Seeing that left her a bad impression of her grandma. Since then, she started getting scared of her grandma. But Yu Shishi knows she shouldn't act scared in front of her grandma especially she's already a grown-up. 

Jin Ling at the side with Shanli started glaring at Yu Shishi's grandma. Contempt was shown at the way he glared. He had definitely heard what the old lady said and he was extremely enraged.

Madam Yu's scornful face toward Shanli changed quickly after seeing her granddaughter, "Your mother couldn't come so I came instead." while speaking, she noticed how soaked Yu Shishi's cloth and also her dripping wet hair was.

Madam Yu started panicking, "What happened to you?! Why are you so soaked?!"

"Oh, I helped the other maids with the laundry--"

"They made you do the laundry?! How can they let a lady like you help with the laundry?! I need to talk to Jiang Cheng about this. He should discipline the maids working here!"

"Madam Yu." Shanli called, both her voice and tone held calmness. He approached the old lady with a warm smile. Seeing that warm smile made the old lady irritated. Madam Yu never liked Lan Shanli. She never did. Every time she sees Shanli, scorn would always show on her face. Shanli was aware that Madam Yu hated her. She always questioned herself, Did I do something rude toward her for her to despise me that much? But she didn't know the answer to her question. Anyhow, Madam Yu hated her to the point of harming her mentally and emotionally. It was what caused Shanli to distance herself from Jin Ling and Jiang Cheng a long time ago.

Lan Shanli approached Madam Yu with her head held up high. The warm smile never faded, "I believe Yu Shishi voluntarily helped the maids. They didn't force her at all."

Jin Ling stood behind Lan Shanli as he secretly tugged at her sleeves, slightly worried. "Ayi, what are you doing." Lan Shanli only gave him a short look and smiled. Her smile was saying "I'll be fine".  Jin Ling just crossed his arms, pouting. He returned his gaze to Madam Yu with disdain in his eyes, completely looking like a rude young mistress.

Jin Ling was aware of what Madam Yu did to Lan Shanli. He was afraid that the old lady might do something to Lan Shanli again.

Yu Shishi rushed, "That's right! I helped them with my own choice. There's no need to report them to Uncle Jiang."

"But still how could they let you help them?! Yu Shishi! You are the young lady of Meishan Yu and the next heir after your father! You shouldn't be helping them!" Madam Yu scolded making the young girl shrink in fear. 

In Meishan Yu Sect, there is a rule that whoever is the eldest child of the clan, that child will take the position as the sect heir whether if the eldest is a woman or man. Yu Shishi as the eldest daughter of the next heir of the sect will surely be the next heir for the next generation.

"Hey, so what if she's the next heir after her father? Is there a rule for the heir not to lend a hand to others in terms of doing the laundry?" Jin Ling argued. Madam Yu's brows twitched her face in disbelief. To think a 15-years-old child like Jin Ling would talk to an old lady in that way. Madam Yu was a short-tempered old lady. She couldn't take this kind of treatment but that child was Jin Ling. Madam Yu honestly adored the young Jin, and if it wasn't for that, Madam Yu would have already burst. Madam Yu managed to control her anger when Lan Shanli suddenly reprimanded Jin Ling.

"Jin Ling, that is not how you talk to your elder. Madam Yu is also your grandmother. Apologize to her." Lan Shanli reprimanded with a serious tone, her eyes bored into him making Jin Ling nervous. He gulped as he slowly faced Madam Yu bowed slightly to her, his hands clasping at the hem of his robes. Slowly, a word was formed in his mouth.

"I'm sorry."

Jin Ling managed to say through gritted teeth. He finally raised his head and hid behind Lan Shanli again. From behind, Jin Ling's face scrunched up, lips pouting, arms crossed each other. He was a bit angry. Not to Shanli but Madam Yu. He really didn't want to say sorry but Lan Shanli told him to. Lan Shanli was one of the few people he respected. He will oblige to everything she says once everything gets serious because he knows to himself that Shanli was only doing this for the better for himself. Jin Ling then felt a soft hand on top of his head, slowly muffling his hair. For some reason, it calmed him down. All the frustration in his body died down.

After muffling Jin Ling's hair, Lan Shanli returned to Madam Yu and bowed at her, "Jin Ling is still young and tends to act rude sometimes. Please forgive him for his behavior."

Madam Yu's scornful face returned, "How could you lecture A-Ling like that?! You don't have the right to lecture him!"

Lan Shanli was unfazed by the woman's word, she said, "I do have the rights, Madam Yu."

Madam Yu felt her face twist. She slowly laughed and then shot Lan Shanli a look with contempt, "Unbelievable, so you really see yourself as Jin Ling's mother?"

Jin Ling popped out from Shanli's behind. He couldn't take Madam Yu's words anymore, "Hey! When will you--"

"Jin Ling." Shanli cut him off. Her tone held a warning. Jin Ling humphed and turned around not wanting to see the old lady's face.

Lan Shanli remained unfazed, "I do not see myself as Jin Ling's mother. I am only doing this as his guardian, as a person who raised him."

Madam Yu shot back, "Oh really? Or maybe it's because you like Jin Zixuan so much and you're now trying to be a mother for Jin Ling, lecturing a kid like how a mother would."

Hearing this, Lan Shanli only stared at Madam Yu hopelessly, but more like pity. She has already read Madam Yu's intention toward her but she won't be affected. Shanli sighed, "Madam Yu. I truly don't get what you are trying to say. I have already made it clear that I'm only doing this as his guardian, as a friend of Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan. Madam Yu, I can clearly read your intention. You're only saying this to me because you want to remind me of my position and want to drive me away from Lotus Pier, from the people here. But Madam Yu, I apologize but I won't run away. I won't be affected by your words anymore and I will remain by Jin Ling and Jiang Cheng's side."

Lan Shanli said this with confidence, her head raised high, appearing fearless. She wasn't the same woman as before. In the past, she was scared of everything. When she stood before Madam Yu for the first time, she was quivering so hard from nervousness. But right now she appeared undaunted, taking Madam Yu's words as nothing but rubbish words. This was a sign that she's finally moving on from the past.

She was slowly healing.

Just a little bit more...

And she will be able to completely forget her fear, struggles, trauma... and her entire dark past.

Madam Yu was trembling in anger. Not being able to hold back anymore, she retorted, "You!--" but she was immediately cut off by a bolting voice.

"Jiuma!"

All of them turned to see the incoming person in purple robes. Jin Ling immediately called after seeing who it was, "Jiujiu!"

Jiang Cheng walked toward Jin Ling and Lan Shanli's side. Seeing them soak, his brows furrowed but didn't bother asking what happened. Instead, he asked, "Are you okay?"

Jin Ling, "We're okay."

"Good. I already heard about the situation. You can borrow A-jie's clothes Shanli." Jiang Cheng said.

Lan Shanli tried to refuse, "But I can't just--"

"It's fine. If A-Jie was here, she will surely lend you her clothes. Jin Ling, bring her to your mother's room. The other maids are already there. They'll help you with the clothes."

Lan Shanli wanted to refuse once again but Jin Ling has already grabbed her hand and dragged her away.

---

"Jin Ling, slow down." Lan Shanli demanded. Jin Ling finally realized what he was doing and halted, letting go of Shanli's hand.

"Sorry ayi, I just wanted to leave right away. That old hag--"

"Jin Rulan, this is the third time." Lan Shanli's eyes bored into him once again.

"S-sorry... But how dare she say those to you! Humph! Jiujiu already told me what she did to you years ago, it was because of her that you stopped coming to Lotus Pier." Jin Ling grumbled, his brows knitted together.

Shanli's eyes widen, "He told you? Wait he already knew it was Madam Yu?!"

Years ago, after Jiang Cheng has learned about what happened to Lan Shanli. He made sure he will find whoever that old woman that caused her to stop going to Lotus Pier. What he wasn't expecting was that the old woman was his own aunt. But Jiang Cheng didn't tolerate it and still confronted Madam Yu about it. He previously warned her but it appears Madam Yu ignored the warning.

"Yeah. We were having lunch that day and jiujiu suddenly mentioned it to me. I soon came to hate her too. It's just too unreasonable for her to kick you out in her own way." Jin Ling said as they headed to Jiang Yanli's room.

The two kept chatting until a voice called for them, interrupting their conversation, "Chengsu-ji!"

Shanli looked up with a questioning look. Ahead of them were three maids standing by Jiang Yanli's room. Lan Shanli and Jin Ling approached The made didn't forget to pay their respect and bowed.

One of them spoke full of enthusiasm, "Chengsu-ji! Sect Leader ordered us to help you get dressed. Let's head inside." the three maids pulled her quickly inside the room and closed the door, leaving Jin Ling outside. Jin Ling didn't pay any attention to their behavior and just left and strode away toward his room to also change robes.

Inside Jiang Yanli's room where Lan Shanli is currently in, the three maids busied themselves picking a hanfu for Shanli. Lan Shanli was just sitting on a chair, a table sitting in front of her with a huge bronze mirror on it. She could clearly see her figure through the reflection of the mirror. Suddenly a memory flashed in her mind. It was the same, she was sitting in that chair, her hair loose. Jiang Yanli was behind her holding a comb. It was those days where Lan Shanli would occasionally visit Lotus Pier, Jiang Yanli and Lan Shanli were styling each other's hair while laughing together. Lan Shanli stared at the mirror with a dejected expression. 

She missed those days.

"Chengsu-ji! I think this would suit you!" Lan Shanli was startled by one of the voices of the maids. Lan Shanli turned around to see the maid who just spoke holding a light blue hanfu, flower designs were embroidered at the back of the jacket of the hanfu. 

The other maid smacked her shoulders, "Aiyah, everything will surely suit Chengsu-ji. But let's go with this. Will this be alright Chengsu-ji? If the cloth isn't to your liking then we will find a different one."

"These are all Yanli-jie's clothes, how can I not like it?" Lan Shanli asked, looking a bit hesitant, "But, is it really okay for to me wear Yanli-jie's clothes?" 

"Sect Leader must have allowed you already and Madam Yanli will surely love to see you with her clothes on you. There's no need for you to worry Chengsu-ji." the maid said as she approached Lan Shanli. She added, "Now, let us help you undress Chengsu-ji."

Lan Shanli, "Eh? I can dress myse--" It was already too late as the maids did their work already.

---

At the other side of Lotus Pier, Jin Ling had just finished taking a quick bath. He got off from the wooden bathtub and grabbed his towel, wrapping it around his body. He dressed quickly and took his sword with him, stomping his fit as he walks toward the door. He still couldn't forget those harsh words Madam Yu threw to his aunt. He pulled the door open with full force. As he opened the door a man was standing in front of the door. 

The man looked at him with a frown, "What's with that frown on your face?"

"Jiujiu, you should ask that question to yoursel-- Ah!" Jin Ling shielded himself from getting hit by his uncle. Jiang Cheng just raised his hand abruptly and thought he will get hit but nothing came. He peeked from his arm, seeing Jiang Cheng retracting his arm. Jiang Cheng huffed and walked ahead. Jin Ling immediately closed the door to his room and followed his uncle.

He finally catches up, walking side by side with his uncle. Jiang Cheng then suddenly asked, "What did that old hag say to Shanli?"

"It started when--"

"I didn't ask how it started."

"Just listen to me first jiujiu." Jin Ling demanded, looking pissed off. A vein popped out from Jiang Cheng's forehead and wanted to scold Jin Ling but he held it and listened to Jin Ling.

"So it started when Shishi got scolded by that old hag for helping at the laundry," Jin Ling rolled his eyes, "then I intervened and acted rudely and then I got scolded by ayi." the lines in his brows grew deeper as he pouted, he continued, "Ayi then apologize on my behalf and then that old grandma started talking nonsense and said ayi doesn't have any rights to lecture me and she was claiming herself as my mother!" Jin Ling ranted, his face turning red from anger. Jiang Cheng wanted to shove a huge ice cube in his nephew's face to calm him down. But Jin Ling's red face cooled down as if a cube of ice was really shoved at his face.

Jin Ling continued, "But ayi fought back! of course not physically. Ayi read her intentions and that old hag did really intend to kick out ayi by bringing up those topics. Well, it didn't work and ayi even said she'll stay by our side and won't leave us anymore." 

Jiang Cheng then suddenly stopped at walking, his expression was unreadable. Jin Ling couldn't read what his uncle was thinking, "ahh... jiujiu?"

"Did she really say that?" Jiang Cheng suddenly asked.

Jin Ling stared at him confusedly, but answered regardless, "Yeah."

Jiang Cheng went silent for a moment and then said, "Is that so?"

Finally, he walked and passed by Jin Ling. Jin Ling's eyes were following his uncle but he was sure he saw Jiang Cheng's lips curved up a little. He stood there stiffly and stunned.

Jiang Cheng just realized his nephew wasn't following and turned around, his frown returning back, "Why are you still standing there?"

Jin Ling returned back to his senses and followed his uncle, on their way to Jiang Yanli's room where Lan Shanli was.

- - - - -

Ahhhhh~ I was finally able to update. I hoped you liked and enjoyed this chapter. It might take me a lot longer to update since I'm collaborating now with someone in writing a WangXian story. It's a long story and it will really take my time. Our deadline will be on Lan Wangji's birthday and I will also upload it here so that you can read it too. That's all guys! For those in the Philippines, I hope you're doing fine from the typhoon. Stay safe and healthy guys!

(1) Zumu - paternal grandmother

(2) Jiuma - mother's brother's wife

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 404 13
Summary: Lan Xichen's heart was moved by Jin Guangyao before, but in the end ended things between them because his uncle did not approve of them. Ji...
144K 9.2K 48
"Wangji... Rule 2982-" Lan Wangji stiffens. "-you know you can't be with him. It's been many moons for you two now, so I can predict you'll feel...
20.8K 1K 10
Ever since being thrown into the Burial Mounds by Wen Chao, Wei Wuxian cannot ride a sword. He has a severe fear of heights now. During a night hunt...
5.7K 388 10
what is love ? What is heart break ? What is sacrifice? what is regret? what is duty ? people will give various answers to these questions but to Lan...