scratch

By roxann_season

Sometimes we wish we could start from scratch. Cold and heartless Kaden Romano, was going to get his second c... More

updating and other info.
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Rejection (Kaden POV)
Chapter 2 - Karma's A B!tch (Kaden POV)
Chapter 3 - The Past, Changing The Present (Kaden POV)
Chapter 4 - The Past, Brought Me... (Kaden POV)
Chapter 5 - The Past, Building Us... (Kaden POV)
character key~~
Chapter 6 - The Past, The Fae Truth... (Kaden POV)
Chapter 8 - The Past That Keeps On Coming, This isn't Twice (Kaden POV)
Chapter 9 - The Past, Two Black Spots, The First (Kaden POV)
Chapter 10 - The Past, Two Black Spots, The Second (Kaden POV)
Overview
Chapter 11 - The Past, Loved Twice, New Start (Kaden POV)
Chapter 12 - The Past, The Keepers and The Takers (Kaden POV)
Chapter 13 - The Past, The Unexpected Truth (Kaden POV)
Chapter 14 - The Past, Getting There (Kaden POV)
Chapter 14 [outtake]
Chapter 15 - The Past, It Changes (Kaden POV)
Chapter 16 - The Past, Come What May (Donovan POV)
Chapter 17 - The Past, Going Home (Kaden POV)
Chapter 18 - The Past, The Children Know (Kaden POV)
Chapter 19 - The Past, Passing Knowledge (Kaden POV)
Chapter 20 - The Past, The Children Know (Kaden POV) Part 2
Chapter 21 - The Present The Past Caught Up (Kaden POV)
Chapter 22 - The Present Still Has Surprises (Kaden POV)
Chapter 22 OUTTAKE
Chapter 23 - No Op-Shuns, No Choice (Kaden POV)
Chapter 24 - Not What it Seems (Kaden)
Chapter 25 - Abracadabra (Kaden POV)
Chapter 25 [outtake] - Aftermath (Kaden POV)
Chapter 26 - Starting Over (Kaden POV)
Epilogue - Rich On Goodbyes Alone (Kaden POV)
SpinOff.
Shattered (Book#1)
Help?

Chapter 7 - The Past, Breaking The Ice (Kaden POV)

26.5K 1.3K 122
By roxann_season

A/n: Not Edited.

Chapter 7 - Kaden 25 years old - Past

I knew nervous when I saw it, and Etta was nervous, although I couldn't figure out why, she was a beautiful woman, simply breathtaking but then I thought back to what John, David and Damien told me earlier and I can only guess that the is fidgeting because she's uncomfortable. Intimated maybe but my chest expands - figuratively - she came anyways and was still here even though she looked as though she were ready to bolt away from the dock back to that unsafe shack she calls a home.

I give her my biggest smile as the boat edges near her, to which she shyly returns, "Hello Kaden," her voice wraps around me once again.

"Let me help you aboard," I say offering her my hand, she seems surprised by this small gesture. I then hand her a life vest to which she just stars at, making no attempt to put it on.

"I can swim and it's not like I can die Kaden," she says watching me, "You aren't wearing one," she points out while taking out a nice roam at my entire body. Her heart beat picks up and I can see that she admires my hard earned body.

I nodded, and shout over the motor, "It's only a few miles out." I concentrate on not flipping the boat, but also on Etta. She looks out at the ocean and immediately I am left in a trance state that doesn't help my control so instead I pull eyes from her figure and concentrate on the water.

.

.

Once we reach the dock I quickly tether the boat and help Etta out, but even then I do not release her hand. I hold it in mine and I can sense that her body temp is a bit higher than the average human. Or she has a fever... I shake my head she probably can't get sick.

"I - do you have a fever? Are you ill?" I blurt out anyways, maybe it's motion sickness.

"No," she says softly, "oh... you're warmer?" I said as we walked up the porch, noting that I sound like an idiot, but I just want her to keep speaking and she seems unable to.

I sigh, "Welcome to my home Elizabetta," I say slowly as she takes in her surroundings, still a bit twitchy. And god does she look so nervous and unsure of herself when she sees it, her face entirely too readable. I think back to her home and how at ease she was there, but then realize maybe she's nervous for a reason completely different than I assume.

Still holding her hand I turned to face her, lifting her chin so she could see the sincerity of my words, "I know about your father," I said cupping her face, when she tried to look the other way.

'When I left your place, I spoke with John, David, and Damien... I had questions and he - they - answered them for me. I want you to know that I understand why you lied, and said what you did Etta, but you don't have to hide from me, so relax and l - I want for us to get to know each other," I wait for something, some word or nod that she wants the same thing and when I get it, I pull us into my enormous for one person alone kitchen, "I'll get us some wine, you can sit..."

She follows my suggestion, slowly walking and taking in the space around her, "This is a nice home, Kaden," and I can tell she genuinely means it. Nor is there any off putting tone that she feels jealous of this place which I do like. "Thank you... It's much too big for me alone though," I hear myself saying but can't understand why I would say such a thing.

I turn away looking at the slow cooker, getting bowls so I could dish out our meals, and the wine glasses. Preparing everything, she and I sit in front of a large window; the view wonderful and the setting sun with a few candles create our soft lighting.

It was different and perfect; as we ate I began asking questions everyday things. Her favorite color, food, time of day, book, song, movie, and in turn I gave her information I could remember from my own history.

"So how are you here right now?" I wondered eventually but the wording of my thoughts placed a frown on her face and I didn't like it. The frown promptly turned to confusion, her eye brows furrowed and she gazed at me like I was a puzzle. Little did she know I partly was.

"Well my mother came from Zedwood-" I put my palm up stopping her, she didn't understand my question. Because I couldn't be the one asking it wrong. "I meant to ask, whose watching your siblings while you are here?" I rephrased. Understanding she smiled, "Well Cedrick and his wife Kat are there now. They live higher up the hill than I and most times the sons stay at my place during the night-"

"Since most vampires don't need to sleep and if they do it's only for short periods," I finished for her. To which she gave me a full lovely smile that pinched a lost memory in my brain, leaving me unsettled.

"You trust them?" I asked.

"Yes. I do... they were changed against their will. They were camping and vampires fed upon them, leaving them alive and with venom still in their veins. Rascal woke up, came too quicker and drug them to a cave nearby, he could remember what happened and thanks to Hollywood thought they would burn if the sun touched them. They had a small farm, so they all waited for nightfall and went back to the farm. Packed what they would taking, burned the farm down-"

"To fake their death" I finished, and Etta just nodded.

"How did you meet them?"

"John brought them around...they didn't have much and he brought them with, they didn't attack John either, and he told them about me, they said they'd stay here with me and here we are..."

I watched Etta, observed her. She was strange. In my old pack, I doubt there was one person that would leave their child with a vampire.

"They were human. Yes wolves and vampires are normally enemies, that's not the entrance they had or shared. John was kind to them Kaden. All the bad blood and war doesn't, hasn't reached them and even if they did, they wouldn't hurt any of us," She was starting to sound exactly like John. Maybe it was the sun.

"We've all become a family, a pack, instead of working apart and against each other we are all aiming for one singular goal," she continued her accent thick and sultry.

"Which is?"

"Everyone should live freely, among humans, Vampires, Werewolves, Fae's, Hybrids..." she said calmly, I wanted to scoff at her, she lived on this island, blinded I have seen the bad of the world. The worst thing that could ever happen would be to set vampires free the sooner Etta learned that the better. Not all vampires were nice and helpful like her family on the hill.

.

.

.

My family had accepted me back when seven years ago I was changed to the species I was now, but I do believe what happened to me was something the Elders were involved in, yet I had no proof to show for that thought, but since there wasn't a person out there that could read my mind, the Elders or not, my thoughts were safe.

I hadn't dated much not when I was younger and scrawny... and not when I was older, grew into my body, worked out... dressed better... became more confident... not having to go through such a mundane thing, instead picking among the ones that were obviously interested in me or the mask that I wore in the world.

So sitting here with Etta was different but I found myself hanging on her words even though I didn't agree with all of her views, "Werewolves are dying Kaden. Dying not because trouble sought them out but they are endocrine to believe vampires are the enemy," she said frowning, "They go out and hunt them not because they have been provoked but because that is what they are taught. However there are those that do not believe vampires are the enemies. There are children growing now that will be changing the world Kaden... and I will help. Those few, they can and will ultimately live peacefully as a merged pack. When attacked by either hunters, vampires, or those humans running experiments-" her words caught me off guard. I understood her main points as well, and technically she was building a stronger pack, having both vampires and werewolves protect her but what I didn't understand was why? She was a Fae. Why would she want to help?

"You speak like you are sure this - this change is coming?" I interrupted her scoffing, leaning over for my glass.

"I do know though Mr. Kaden," she retorted back, calmly despite my rudeness. She knows this is going to happen, I thought to myself as she confirmed. "As I was saying, when attacked, whether it is by hunters, vampires, or those humans running experiments... this group, in which I am included - will be included - we will band together and remove the danger; those interested and hell bent on taking away peace, and replacing it with fear, war and inevitable death."

"So they are children now... and you are just here on this island what? Waiting for them to what? If you are the most powerful?" I spat each question getting upset with her nonchalance attitude.

"I can see only pieces of what is to come Kaden," she said softly, "there is much hurt that I wish I could eliminate before it even occurs but I am unable to do so. I am waiting for different people that will come to me, first a young man searching for his sister... although I don't know his name or face. Nothing I speak of now will happen without the most important piece-"

"Which is you-" she shook her head, "I'm only piece of the puzzle, I am only the strongest Fae in Zedwood as well as this realm Kaden, but I won't be the strongest or most powerful in general," I sat back; a million thoughts running through my head, unsure of why she was telling me all this now, what part if any did I possibly play in this? Was that why she had contacted me? Called to me... was this attraction I felt but couldn't explain unexpected for her as it was for me?

"You are waiting on a child?" I started off slowly, not wanting to overwhelm. "Yes... he or she is the most important piece, she will keep Fae's safe but I will keep him or her safe. She is - I believe she is developing," Etta said unsure and slightly puzzled with in turn confused me.

"I don't understand," I said, which was off for me. "Unlike you and me, he or she will be powerful on his or her own merit. I was born with power... you were genetically modified... she gains her powers and gifts on her own self, on decisions she makes when faced with dilemmas." I couldn't help but laugh which I'm sure wasn't the reaction she was expecting but still her patience silenced me, as did that arched brow.

Clearing my throat, as she smirked at me, "So he or she is human?" I questioned.

"No I believe he or she is a werewolf... a white wolf..." I knew werewolves... "It is a female then," I replied buying into her delusion, maybe she had a gift for that as well.

"She may be, or it may be male, anyways-" I put my hand up; "You have no time frame to work with?" I wondered... how long would we need to stay on this island? Etta shook her head, a bit disappointed. She was passionate about this, "You keep going with 'she' though..." I commented.

"I do, but I may be wrong, but the supernatural world... it is only going to be getting worse..." she said almost reluctantly, "I am young, but I believe by the time everything is happening, hunters will have greatly revolutionized themselves... the three worst being the Ashex, Rues and Kitas,," she finished pushing the empty bowl away turning her body to face me directly. And I almost wish we had spoken of something else, not so serious, I wanted to get to know her more, deeply.

I sighed, "I know that the Ashex are human werewolf hunters but the other two?" I asked when curiosity of her knowledge lured me in.

She gave me a brilliant smile, that made her look ultimately younger than her already low age, "Well Mr. Kaden, Rues' not as common now, but soon, are vampire hunters, and Kitas go after the Fae's," she explained her eyes lighting up.

"For now, what neither vampires or werewolves understand is that, those three hunters, there will come a time where they never act alone, even now one type seeks out the other, working in teams, it is uncommon but is happening. They all work together, aggressively attacking and incapacitating their target, while the final 'kill-shot' must come from the appropriate hunter." I was having disorganized thoughts, mostly because Etta was mixing the now with then. Past with the present and the future - not that she had a timeline working with, but she still knew. Although I had to wonder if she knew she could be waiting around for decades... it had been a while since an Elder let a white wolf live and well - my thoughts cut off and focused back. Rewinding. She didn't have proof, but she also thought as I did... the Elders were behind all the kidnappings and experiments I was captured and used for. No one else would understand, 'why would the Elders help Ashex or any other hunters capture wolves?' is what those who trusted the Elders would think and ask.

I kept my facial expressions neutral, I had to stop myself from reaching; I was currently taking her words and twisting them to hear what I wanted too.... I would think of this all at a later time I told myself - Etta continued speaking.

"If those in charge hear of a building pack or coven they send... well call upon seven to ten Ashex but also two Rues and Kitas'," her accent thick, but I concentrated with my top head, forcing the other away, it was hard. Literally. Her voice seemed to be my undoing. I doubt she even knew that she was having this effect on me. Shaking my head I focused on her words once again, trying to at least.

"A group of fifteen shows up and attacks a pack, only seven can kill werewolves, the rest are to fluff up numbers, intimate them," I said proud I could contribute when she was being utterly distracting.

"Exactly!" her voice happy, excited, "But also they send the Rue and Kitas in case they find vampires or Fae's when they are sent," she finished and I nodded.

I had to share... I wanted to know her and for that to happen, I knew I had to share, "That's how I was taken, kidnapped. My pack was fighting with vampires. The hunters came during the fight, both sides were blindsided. They took me amongst all the chaos," I said realizing that I didn't only have to share, I wanted to share with her and more out of character was taking her back to when I was nineteen years old, miserably depressed, floundering in sadness caused by Lana and my actions.

"I'm sorry that happened to you," she said softly, her eyes full of sympathy and shining honesty, no games. It felt good to be free... I was missing a good chunk of time in my timeline itself but I doubt I had ever felt so good. John always said that I could gain my memories back, but some things hurt so much worse than others and that was why I had time gaps from after Lana rejected me, and last year after my injury, forgetting almost two years of my life once again. Maybe coming back here would help me; bring me enough peace to remember what could have possibly happened... that was so bad that I was too afraid to remember? I could remember Lana's rejection clearly... but the two years after that... gone...

"How was your day Kaden?" Elizabetta seemingly blurts out randomly, pulling me from my dark thoughts.

"Long... I thought about you all day, and then was eager to prepare to see you tonight," I smirked at her startled response to my obviously unexpected honest - unfiltered - candid reply. When she hadn't said anything, but her heart sped up, I spoke again.

"Would you like desert now or to take a walk on the island?" I asked, worried that we had spent all our time talking about her ultimate goal, and not herself.

"Are you all alone here?" she asked diverting.

"Yes," I replied offhandedly not wanting to speak of myself much, "I wanted space. I had been hearing you for almost six or seven months so I had this place built during that time... but you didn't answer my question..." I smiled at her attempt to deflect me.

"Desert or a walk?" gazing into her eyes, I wondered what she may be thinking, if she was ready to take leave and return to her children... but then her reply eased my thoughts.

"A walk would be lovely," she said sweetly, shy back to that unsure hesitant voice, that I wanted gone permanently. Placing my palms on the table I stood, "Okay," I said picking up our empty dishes, placing them in the sink and returning to Etta, reaching boldly for her smaller hand, holding it in mine. Sighing when an electric, pleasurable current ran right through me, continuing... I see Etta shiver despite her sweater and the warm air and smile inwardly. She feels what I must be currently feeling, we are connected. I shake my head at the thoughts... I had never been connected to anyone! what would I know?

.

.

.

We walked quietly, neither speaking just enjoying the others company until Etta broke the silence, "So... you basically spent your whole day... everything revolving around me?" she asked cutely and a sexy smirk building.

Different I told myself. This was a chance. I didn't know for what though... but still I went with honesty, "Around you? Yes. There is so much I wanted to know... and you've captivated me entirely," my honestly causing her to falter in her steps, good thing I still held her hand as we walked along the beach a good distance from the house.

"What else would you like to know?" her voice casual and inviting once again. Her scent in the wind distracting me almost able to taste it on my lips, I shook my head thinking of her question, "You won't die... and aging?"

"No... I will look this way for eternity..."

"Can you have children?" I blurted out surprised I even asked, but I just felt as though I had too, but her face went from relaxed to complete shock. I almost took it back but at the same time she finally answered.

"I - I... well... I have two children... twins..." she stammered, then shut up when she saw the small smile on my face. I knew.

"Why are you smiling?" she asked confused.

"I could tell last night Etta, there were more people in the house besides your brother and sister..." I said turning her to me, examining her face, which was entirely too pensive as she bit her lip, her heart racing.

"I have two daughters, Coco and KiKi... they are nearly two years old," she started off slowly, then a magnificent beam took over, and the contemplative frown she wore evaporated "they are wonderful, energetic, brilliant and very beautiful... I love them very much... so much," she gushed and I almost questioned her about the children's names, instead I nodded, loving the euphoric air that was around her now, "How is it with Vivian and Miles? Are the jealous of Coco and KiKi?" I struggled to say the names without laughter... but the scenery helped.

"No... I treat them all the same. Vivian and Miles... I'm the only parent that they've ever had. When dad and Jillian had them... six months later they died. T - They call me mama... I tried to get them to call me sissy, but they never did that..." she said sadly and I couldn't understand why, her father treated her horribly and this Jillian woman...

"Where is the father?" I asked again, wanting to get the answer but being afraid of it at the same time.

"He isn't in the picture, never has been..." what?

"Does he know they exist?" I asked carefully, halting our walk to face her.

"No," she said as slowly and thoughtfully as I had asked the question to begin with, sighing, her heart racing once again.

___________________________

Follow. Please Share w/others (if you feel like its worth sharing). Please Vote (if you liked it). Please Comment (if you have something to say).

© 2016 roxann_season All Rights Reserved

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34 0 25
"There were times of hardship when people forget the courage they need to keep fighting; and survive. But I think as long as we have something or som...
1.1M 36.5K 69
How would you feel when the world you grew up in crashed and burned? What if you were tossed into one that was all about survival? Would you persever...
74.1K 4.5K 89
The story I'm going to tell you may starts a bit different than usual. It starts with a dead person. The poor boys heart just stopped beating. And at...
13.7K 630 11
Whenever I read books or watch some movies or tv shows, I always say that the MC should have done it differently then whatever they faced would've en...