Everglow | on hiatus.

By cheriecherieboo

Before you read - This Story is on Hiatus. No active updates right now. Nia and Harry are exes reunited by a... More

Everglow.
everglow: one
everglow: two
everglow: three
everglow: four
everglow: five
everglow: six
everglow: seven
everglow: eight
everglow: nine
everglow: ten
everglow: eleven
everglow: twelve
everglow: thirteen
everglow: fourteen
everglow: fifteen
everglow: sixteen
everglow: seventeen
everglow: nineteen
everglow: twenty
everglow: twenty one
everglow: twenty two
everglow : twenty three
everglow: twenty four

everglow: eighteen

842 110 62
By cheriecherieboo

Flashback.

When Nia returns to the shared flat with Harry, she fights a smile and holds onto the slender velvet box in her hand. The gift she specially ordered for her boyfriend was finally delivered and she's so excited to show it to him.

It's a sweet gift to celebrate his new album and how much work he put into it. Harry has always been the best gift giver in the relationship and it's time for him to get treated.

It's a sweet and simple gift. Extremely thoughtful and something she deeply hopes he'd appreciate.

However when she returns, the mood is a little darker than when she stepped out. She shrugs off his black suede jacket that she loves to wear and sniffs it in the air.

Cigarettes.

Harry only smokes when he's going through a depressive episode or feeling extremely dark. He hasn't been in a dark place in a long time and she feels herself gulp in anticipation.

Nia takes off her boots, leaving her colourful socks on and pads through the living space.

There's no sign of Harry but the smell of cigarettes heavily dances in the air and she wrinkles her nostrils, annoyed. The last time he resolved to smoke, they had a big blow out and she braces herself for another one.

"H?" she calls out, scanning the living space for him.

No answer.

Nia clears her throat and follows the smell of the cigarette. Right there, she sees his hunched frame.

Harry is alone in the private balcony with a burnt out cigarette between his fingers, allowing the ashes to fall on his knuckles. She gently slides the door open and joins him.

The view is beautiful but he's not staring at anything. The man looks like he's been out of it and she wonders what the hell happened in the two hours she managed to step out.

She calmly sits down next to him and he snaps his head to finally notice her presence.

"Shit, you're home," his voice is groggy.

"You smoked a lot, already?" she points out, knowing how they thicken his voice.

"Nah, just tired," he clears his throat and flicks it nowhere in particular.

"Hey H, are you okay?" Nia frowns, more concerned than annoyed.

"Sure, why?" Harry blinks at her.

"You're smoking," she points out.

"No shit," he gives a rude smirk.

"No, drop the attitude with me," she warns, subtly.

"Sorry, shit. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have smoked," he realises, sitting up.

This makes her move closer to him and put an arm around his deflated shoulder. His eyes are puffy and red. If she didn't know this man, she'd assume that he cried.

It's not impossible but she doesn't think she has ever seen him that vulnerable.

"What happened? Are you okay? Is it Zayn? Is it Jeff?" she tries to guess.

"They're fine," he forces a smile her way.

"Don't fake a smile, just talk to me," she begs him.

"Uh...yeah," he licks his bottom lip. "Did you see some woman leave here on your way in?"

"No, it was clear," she replies.

"Oh shit, she left a while ago. Your lad is a little out of it," Harry chuckles.

"Who is this woman?" Nia asks, staying patient.

"Right, her name's Gemma or is it Jemima? Don't fucking care actually," he shrugs.

"I don't know anyone with those two names, what did she want?" she continues.

Harry pauses and bites down his lip, controlling himself from getting emotional. He sniffs and shrugs. Anything to avoid vulnerability.

He sits up and shrugs off Nia's arm off his shoulder, refusing to be held like an emotional child.

Nia doesn't fight this and he continues with the conversation.

"Gemma Styles, that's her name," he says, plainly.

This throws Nia off and she waits for the other shop to drop.

"Your mother?" she squints, knowing nothing about his family.

"Apparently my older sister, that's what she claims but you know people lie like hell these days," he replies.

Nia slowly nods in understanding and realises she has never been told a thing about his biological family.

She's not even sure if he knows anything about his birth mother because he only spoke about the family that raised him before he moved with Jeff's family.

"You have a sister?" she's not sure if she sounds stupid.

"Apparently I also have a mother who has been searching for me for a while now," he chuckles.

"Oh god, I'm confused," Nia pauses.

"According to Miss Gemma, she gave us up and I kept my name because the shit heads who raised me didn't plan on keeping me. Gemma only recently changed her name and it just feels too convenient, I'm bloody superstar so yeah," he replies.

"Wait, it makes sense - did you have a conversation with her?" she asks.

"What the fuck are we supposed to talk about? I kicked the bloody stranger out and warned her to back off," he explains.

"Harry," she says.

"Nia, you cannot tell me how to handle my own pain," he reminds her.

"I know but it's just good to know you have an actual family out there itching to reconnect with you," she explains.

"Took 'em long enough," Harry shrugs and stands up. "I'm done talking about this."

"Fine but wait, I have something to show you," Nia stands up with a smile.

Harry struggles to return the smile and watches her open the slender box he didn't even notice was in her hand. Nia gets out a beautiful pearl necklace that holds their initials engraved on them and she leans closer to wear it around his neck.

This simple gesture makes his heart ache at how much he loves this woman and he wraps his arms around her, holding her closer to him.

This is the only family he is choosing to know and have. Anybody else can truly go to hell.

"It's beautiful," he whispers.

"Stop, you haven't seen it yet," she giggles.

"Anything from you is beautiful," he smiles in return.

Nia nods and gently kisses him.

"H, I love you. If you ever want to go down this family road, I'll be by your side, okay?"

"You're all that I need, I love you Nia."

Present Day

Harry is pacing around the living room and rubbing his palms together. He limps a little when his pacing gets faster and he slows down. It's been a whole day since he kissed Nia and they haven't addressed it like the cowards they are.

Right now, Zayn has been called in for an emergency meeting and he doesn't know how to express himself.

"Do you remember words and how to use them?" Zayn speaks up.

"No...," Harry shakes his head.

"You just used a word, now let's use more," Zayn smiles.

"Okay....kiss," he pats his lips and frowns.

"I know you kissed Nia, are you now asking me to kiss you?" Zayn takes the piss.

"Uh...no....never," Harry panics.

"Wow, my heart is broken into pieces," Zayn gives a dramatic gasp.

"Zayn...okay...serious now," Harry waves him off.

Zayn simply stands up and walks over to him, cupping his shoulders. The nerves are evident and his cheeks have remained pink for a while now.

When Nia walked past them, Harry nearly jumped out of the window. He has been avoiding her again and keeping their conversations very short. He has never been able to handle his feelings and now everything is just heightened.

Before his accident, emotions felt dull and bland for him. But now, he can feel every single thing and he doesn't understand it.

"You and Nia kissed, finally. I'm a very happy shipper but you cannot end it there," Zayn explains.

"But...k-kiss is good," he frowns, knowing it's a good step.

"Yes but ignoring her after just makes you a fuck boy and that's the old Harry," his friend explains.

"No...not that again," he agrees with a nod.

"Exactly, so you need to communicate because Nia cannot read your mind," Zayn says.

"Try...just try?" Harry attempts a joke.

"She should try reading your mind? You're a clown," he chuckles and guides Harry to the comfortable seat.

Harry instantly settles down and exhales, feeling his dull pain fade away.

To be fair, physical therapy has done a lot and he feels completely healed. He has been told that the limp is here to stay for a while but that's better than what he was going through some weeks ago.

"She..she is...uh h-happy," Harry tries to explain.

"With the kiss? Or?" Zayn raises an eyebrow.

"Okay...uh...does not hate me," he says with a smile.

"Hey, that was so good and clear," Zayn lightens up on hearing the smooth speech.

"Yes...okay, yes," he agrees with a nod.

"She never hated you, she was just hurt and I need you not to hurt her again," Zayn explains.

"Now....doing what?" Harry frowns, truly not sure what to do next.

"She's in her room, talk to her," Zayn points in the direction of her bedroom.

This makes Harry flinch in nerves but he clears his throat. It is only scary because he hasn't done it before. Nia is not a monster and she's the one who asked for the kiss so it means there's something there for sure.

Running away and hiding is what the old him did a lot, and he's ready to shed that skin off. He slowly stands up and walks to her bedroom.

Standing there, he gently knocks and Nia opens with a small smile.

"I was starting to wonder how long you'd avoid me for, again," she teases him.

"Not...a-avoiding," he quickly defends with a frown.

"Yeah just kiss me and literally walk off like I stung ya," she wiggles her eyebrows.

"Here...here to be nice," Harry announces.

"I thought you're here to fight," she gets sarcastic before gently pulling him into the room.

Nia shuts the door behind them and he awkwardly stands before her. He hasn't thought everything through and he's ready to do things better than before. He just doesn't know how to go about it.

Harry sharply exhales and rubs his palms together, waiting for her to say something. However, Nia intentionally stays silent and waits for him to say something.

In their first trial as a couple, she was the expressive one. Maybe it's time for him to learn how to use his words. Aphasia is a bitch but he will be fine.

"Okay...we saying nothing," he points out.

"You knocked on my door." She reminds him.

"Oh...okay," he giggles, clearly nervous.

Harry stares at his fingers and appreciates how they've stabilised. They no longer shake as much as before but he still randomly giggles when he's not supposed to.

His brain is taking its sweet time to readjust to normal settings.

"Why did you knock?" Nia smiles at him.

"Uh...want to...see you," he points a shaky index at her.

This makes her giggle and take his finger in her hand. It's a cute moment as they're clearly nervous around each other. They don't even know why they're nervous.

"You're seeing me now," she tells him.

"And...so pretty today," he continues.

"So are you, you're always a pretty lad," she stares at him.

The guy blushes and avoids her loving stare.

"Okay....Z-Zayn still...still out," he explains.

"He won't want you running out to join him, so you're stuck with me till you say what you want," Nia explains and he knows she's right.

"Uh...sorry...for hiding," he calmly says.

"Did kissing me freak you out?" she asks.

"Yes," he slowly nods and panics. "Uh...good way."

"I freaked you out in a good way," she smiles.

"Okay...but want more," Harry tries to explain.

Nia pauses and raises an eyebrow. "Did you come here for sex? Seriously mate?"

"No...okay no...wow no, Nia," he gives a fake serious look and she laughs.

"You're so annoying, what do you want, man? I know you own this room but I'll kick you out," she nudges him.

"So...doing more...after the kiss? Will you?" of course the words betray him and he groans in slight irritation.

"We should do things together, like a date?" Nia decides to think for him

Harry pauses because that's exactly what he's been breaking his brain to say and he simply forgot the word. He sighs and gently takes her hand in his.

Even when he's unable to figure out a random word, she's able to help him.

"Yes," he breathes out.

"Okay now, I need you to use your words and ask me on a date," she guides him.

He quickly nods in agreement. "Okay...on a date...with me?"

"You left the first few words in your head, let's try again. Will you go on a date with me?" She corrects him.

"Wow...yes...Nia is so nice," he chuckles.

"Fuck you, ask me," she laughs. "That wasn't me asking you."

This makes him smile and he leans closer, pressing his forehead to hers as they stare at each other with nothing but love swimming in their eyes.

"You...go...a date...with me?" Harry asks, trying his hardest.

"Yes, I will go on a date with you, H." she replies with a soft kiss.

(bullying works because I now think we have a few more chapters to push through haha x)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 3.9K 74
Losing someone is never easy. Especially if it's your best friend. Being in love with that someone though, makes it even more complicated. * Harry an...
46.9K 496 17
in which harry and you are divorced. All rights reserved. originally posted on tumblr and patreon by meetmymouth.
1M 13.1K 63
Just imagine. Harry and you. | Cover by @reviewsbylou | | 2015 - 2018 |
1.6K 90 10
Broken awards, cut-up blouses, childish pranks and lots of nastiness? This is apparently all that remains of Louis and Harry after a sudden break-up...