Fugitive (sequel to Becoming...

By me2you804

Aubrey Winters, ex librarian and Atlantian is a fugitive. On the run, Aubrey has escaped from Atlantis with a... More

Fugitive - Chapter One
Fugitive - Chapter 2
Fugitive Chapter Three
Fugitive - Chapter 4
Fugitive - Chapter 5
Fugitive - Chapter 6
Fugitive - Chapter 7
Fugitive - Chapter 8
Fugitive - Chapter 9
Fugitive - Chapter 10
Fugitive - Chapter 11
Fugitive - Chapter 12
Fugitive - Chapter 13
Fugitive - Chapter 14
Fugitive - Chapter 15
Fugitive - Chapter 16
Fugitive - Chapter 17
Fugitive - Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Fugitive - Chapter 21
Chapter 22 - Fugitive
Fugitive - Epilogue

Fugitive - Chapter 20

44 6 1
By me2you804

The drums shook the very floor beneath her feet as they neared their destination. It was with surprise that they continued past the golden door which led to the hall where so many significant changes had occurred. Her initiation as an Atlantian. The demise of the last Matriarch. Saving Tiberius.

Instead, they continued through the winding halls, and emerged outside into the large courtyard. The sun was nearing the horizon, and yet, the space before them was packed from wall to wall with Atlantians. Aubrey wasn't sure she had ever been to a place so crowded. Even the skies were full, dragons and their riders circling overhead and casting shadows in the ebbing light of day.

The drumbeat changed ever so slightly, the tempo reducing to transform its enthralling beat into a slow anticipatory cadence. The air was filled with the scent of wood fire, the sweetness of honey, and the richness of fresh spices. She breathed in deep, enjoying the tantalising combination.

The crowds before Aubrey parted to form an aisle between them. A moment later, there was the ring of steel on the air and the bright shimmer of brightly polished swords in the fading afternoon light. Atlantians on either side of the pathway lifted their swords to create a canopy of gleaming Atlantian steel.

And then there he was. Tiberius. The bruises on his face were gone, the wounds nothing more than pink scars on his battle worn skin. He was wearing the finest set of leather armour Aubrey had ever seen. His hair had been cut closely to his scalp but it only made his appearance fiercer. He limped forwards. His face was stern, giving nothing away.

His lips finally lifted into a smile as he stopped before her. Slowly, he lowered himself into a bow. Only the slight tensing in his jaw gave hint of his discomfort. "Matriarch."

Aubrey swiftly rested a hand upon his shoulder, urging him to stand once more. "Aubrey," she automatically corrected. She allowed her hand to drift down to the arm he held out to her.

He nodded his head, his lips pulling into a grin. "Matriarch Aubrey."

Aubrey's lips wavered in response. It didn't matter how many times she was addressed as such, Aubrey wasn't sure she would ever get used to the title. His eyes searched hers for a moment and when she nodded, he turned on his heel and headed towards the solid stone altar visible through the aisle of Atlantians.

The swords glinted over head as she passed, the thudding of the drums matching her heart beat exactly until she could no longer tell whether it was her own pulse or the rhythmic drumming in her ears. Yet, as she stumbled past the battle scarred warriors, she saw only acceptance. Swallowing past the lump in her throat, Aubrey tilted up her chin and focused on the altar before her.

When she reached the front, she took step forwards into the open space. Her heart stuttered within her chest. The fabric of her ceremonial robe fluttered as if caught on the wind despite the air being still. It was as if Atlantis was waiting. As if the very world and magic around her were holding their breath in anticipation. She wanted to hold her breath too.

Beneath her feet, rich earth had been laid out around the altar. It cushioned the bottoms of her slippers. Suddenly, the fabric felt too tight, too constricting. Sliding her feet free, she kicked them to the side before wriggling her toes in the earth.

The reaction was instantaneous. The ever present magic of Atlantis, the magic that felt so very alive, rose up to meet her. Aubrey sucked in a sharp breath and threw back her head. Her fingers flexed around TIberius's arm as the sensations washed through her. Her eyes fluttered shut as she felt it greet her. Welcome her. It wasn't said with words. It was just a feeling.

Tiberius gently settled his hand over hers and gave it a squeeze. She reluctantly peeled open her eyes and met his. She was relieved to see his features relaxed for the first time in days. His skin was bathed in a soft golden light as if he were standing in the glow of a lamp. Glancing down, Aubrey fought not to be surprised. She was glowing again. She knew it with certainty without looking down at her exposed skin.

It took a moment to realise the drumming had stopped. A hush had fallen over the crowd and every eye was upon them.

"Atlantians. Warriors. Brothers and sisters." A loud voice boomed over the crowd, a hooded figure moving to stand before the altar, a chalice cupped within his hands. "To be an Atlantian is not just a duty. It is a calling. A way of life."

"Rah. RAH." The crowd cheered in response, their fists thumping against their chests and their feet stomping against the group. Their passion filled the air until it was humming with it. And perhaps it was.

Atlantians were attuned to the magic of the worlds. It was something she was still learning; still coming to understand. Merlin's teachings had been a crash course which were only equivalent to dipping her toe into the edge of the pool.

And perhaps that was his intention. To keep her ignorant to the full extent of what it meant to be Atlantian.

Aubrey rubbed at the goose bumps which had formed on her arms, her eyes welling with tears as emotions welled within her. She could feel everything. Their faith. Their honour. Their loyalty. Everything.

"Our sacred duty is to keep balance. And like the cycle of life we tirelessly work to protect, as death befell our last Matriarch, from her ashes a new shoot of hope emerges." The deep voice continued, earning nods from those before her, their feet stomping louder. "Atlantian Aubrey, you came to us only a short time ago and already you have proven yourself strong, resilient, and fierce over those in your protection. And, while you may not see it yourself, Atlantis has judged your heart and found you worthy."

Aubrey's eyes dipped away, her shy librarian heart uncertain under the scrutiny of so many.

"Step forwards."

Tiberius arm, which had been strong and reassuring beneath hers, dropped away. Lifting her eyes, Aubrey drew in a deep breath, relished the wash of Atlantis's magic as it rolled over her. And suddenly, all of her fear dropped away.

Placing one foot forwards and then the other, she stepped away from the comfort of Tiberius' presence and stood alone before the hooded figure. She watched as he dipped his finger into the chalice, then, with fingers coated in white paint, he drew runes into her skin.

Aubrey could feel the cool paint as it settled on her skin; could feel the tingle of the runes as they etched into her body and soul. They were more than just magic. They were brands upon her very being and with every rune she felt as if she were simultaneously being unmade and reformed into something else.

The runes were unfamiliar and yet, she felt each as if their meaning had been whispered in her ear. Rebirth. Hope. Strength. Leadership.

"Aubrey, do you pledge yourself into the service of the divine mother, to act as her conduit on Atlantis?"

"I do."

Aubrey noted a glint of perfectly polished steel at the edge of her vision and then Tiberius was back at her side, holding the pommel of Excalibur towards her.

Slowly, she wrapped her hand around the hilt, felt the familiar rush of the sentience within the blade. Matriarch. Then, slowly she turned her hand over, the one without her Atlantian marking, and sliced neatly through the flesh of her hand. She felt the bite of the metal, the sting of the fresh wound, and then the warm trickle of her blood pooling into the palm of her hand.

Turning her hand on the side, Aubrey allowed her life blood to flow from her hand and onto the earth below. It disappeared as soon as it landed, absorbed into the rich earth.

"I offer my blood and my oath that I will honour the gift the great mother has bestowed upon me." Aubrey turned her hand, stopping the flow of blood.

The hooded figure held out a large bowl of earth, the same as rested below her feet. Dipping her hand in, Aubrey could feel the dirt entering her blood, becoming part of her. The mundane human within her winced at the germs and potential infection. And yet, the other part of her, the part that was becoming more dominant with each day, felt the rush of acceptance. The feeling of belonging. Home. She was home.

"And with the exchange, I accept the honour bestowed upon me. By blood and by earth, my oath to your service is bound." Aubrey continued before whispering, "So mote it be."

A blinding flash of light illuminated the gathered Atlantians, the last rays of the sun flashing between the mountains so bright that it was dazzling. Within the light, Aubrey saw a figure. She bore the curves of a woman but no matter how hard she focused, her eyes could not make out the face.

Unable to look upon the woman for more than a moment, she closed her eyes. There was the briefest sweep of lips upon her brow.

"Welcome home, daughter."

With those whispered words, Aubrey knew. She was in the presence of a goddess. A divine being. There was rush of power so immense it was overwhelming. And yet, with the brush of those words came knowledge and understanding - of what is, what was, and what was still to come.

Aubrey's breath stuttered as visions of the greed, death, and destruction which had once swept through the Atlantians. All of the warnings she had received before were true.

As quick as it came, the comforting warmth ebbed away leaving her bereft in its wake. The sun disappeared beyond the horizon. The light, which had been painfully bright only seconds before, disappeared into dusk.

"And with the divine mother's blessing, I give you our new Matriarch."

Blinking open her eyes, still dazed from the presence of the embodiment of Atlantis appearing before her, Aubrey found her feet leaving the ground.

Strong arms raised her up on to shoulders, loud chants and cheers filling the air. She found herself bobbing above the crowd of Atlantians, hands reaching out towards her as she passed. It was so surreal. And yet, as she was swept up in the joy of the celebration, Aubrey found her doubts or fears ebbing away.

No matter what was to come, she knew that she would not face it alone. She would have Tiberius. She would have the other Atlantians. She was no longer the librarian who wore glasses that was afraid of the fight. She was the Matriarch. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

536 126 41
A woman living in a world with magic is working one evening when her life is changed forever. She saw something she shouldn't have. Avon ends up havi...
93.1K 3.4K 23
Death is only the beginning... For as long as anyone can remember, there have been legends of Atlantis. A city that shone. A city that fell. A city...
48 25 12
Runaway slave Liam is caught after stealing a man's wallet, this man named Caspian Fae only has six months left to live, so he proposes a deal to Lia...
52 9 5
''To all the men who pretend to be gods, and all the women who will succeed them.'' Centuries ago, the world was cursed by the gods. A large tree spr...