The Demon in the Pastry Shop

By NelWritesNovels

In a world of fantastical creatures, two tragedy-stricken souls (an Idol demon, Silus, and a Bell Spirit, Kit... More

1: The Sound of a Song on Mute
2: A Muffin-Shaped Heart
3: A Heart-Shaped Muffin
4: The Most Special Mistake
5: Why Don't You Speak For Yourself?
6: Confection Affection
7: The Crushing Weight of Friendship
8: Second-Hand Idol
9: Those Who Look Back
10: The Bitterest Flavor in a Sweet Tart
11: The Cruelest Kindness
12: The Fancy of Failure
13: It's Time to Leave the Past Behind
14: The One in Your Hands
15: When It Comes Down To It
16: The Ants at the Picnic
17: Going Postal
18: What Goes Unsaid
19: The Mighty Wish
20: Chips in the Cup, in the Stone of an Idol
21: Best Dressed
22: Turntable Motivation
23: The Promise of a Canary
24: The Undamaged Goods
25: Caught in the Light
26: A Little Honesty
27: Showing Your Cards
28: A Box Inside a Box Inside a Box
29: The Song You Can't Sing
30: Flies and Honey
31: Backdoor
32: No Mistakes From Here on Out
33: Old Places Make Good Harbors
34: Old Things Make New
35: The Icing on the Cupcake
36: Can't Stand the Heat
37: Wrong House
38: Even in the Dark
39: A Dull and Brilliant Spark
40: Decadence
41: An Oath so Fitting
42: Such Brutal Benevolence
43: Enough Chocolate
44: Cut of the Same Stone
45: Happy Homecooked Hesitation
46: The Note and the Fermata
47: The Shoes Walk Best
48: The Lamppost Hums Brightly Until Morning
49: To Dance Again, Part 1
50: To Dance Again, Part 2
52: Snap
53: The Overstepping into Sincerity
54: Pouring into Cracks
55: The Last Stone in the Wall, Part 1
56: Somebody's Stomachache (The Last Stone in the Wall, Part 2)
57: Kitchen Into Darkness
58: Taking Scissors to an Heirloom
59: Before It's Too Late
60: Everything You Are
61: Can You Hear Me?
62: Symmetry
63: A Metal Box
64: Stuckness
65: There Will No Longer Be Cupcakes for Just Anyone
66: Dwindling Spell
67: Talkative Pen
68: Luck and Mistakes and Wishes
69: Welcome, Truer Desire
70: No Glue for That
71: I'm Sorry Dear Friend
72: There's a Demon in the House

51: The Bubble Pops

3 1 0
By NelWritesNovels

 Bubble-grams were expensive. A difficult form of magic, to say the least. Lovell used them like tissues, but that didn't change the fact it would've taken a significant amount of money to send one to Silus out here where Kit's parents lived. It meant that the Terrorling really had something to say.

Silus cleared his throat and stood rigidly at the railing of the porch. His snakes hugged close to him, coiling in on themselves and pressing to his skull. His back itched from the stares the others gave him. He couldn't blame them of course, having ordered them around as he just did but he wished he could be listening to the message alone. He knew it was going to get personal.

He stretched out his finger and popped the bubble.

Lovell's face appeared, semi-translucent, painted on the curtain of water molecules hanging in the air where the bubble exploded. He looked pleased with himself, if a little sickly. His eyes were bloodshot.

Silus supposed it was optimistic to hope the chocolate killed him.

"You may have sent your resignation on that cake, but you can't get away from me, Silus," Lovell sneered out with a wicked chuckle crackling in his throat as his eyes pinched at the ends, coming to a finer point.

Silus knew the words now that would get cut against the Terrorling's fangs on their way to him. He was about to tip headfirst over the railing when Lovell spoke them.

"I've stolen your heart from the Place Where Important Things Go, you see."

"No," Jude gasped from behind.

"Shh," Silus begged him, though he appreciated the show of concern. His hands felt jellied. His snakes felt like gummy worms instead of living serpents. The worst of it all was that he had to keep listening.

"As soon as I figured out that's what you were after, chasing that Bell Spirit you were clearly sweet on, I used my own means and took your heart away from its hiding place. And I took your brother's sculptor too. I figured I would need some collateral to get your attention again."

"What do you want?" Silus murmured under his breath. Lovell couldn't hear him. Bubble-grams were recorded. But Silus needed to push against the message.

"I want you to know I'm coming for her. And I'm coming for you too. I know where you are and by the time you get this, I'll be closer than you would imagine. I suggest you think about where you want to stand by the time I get there."

The image evaporated, the colored tiny particles tucking themselves neatly into the air and disappearing. Silus exhaled shakily. He heard footsteps coming near him, knew it was Kit, and intentionally dashed down the porch steps to get away from her.

Hiding his face and his heart and his mettle, Silus called back as he walked away, "everyone should get inside. I'm going to make preparations for Lovell's attack." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 231 15
4 years have passed since the mystery at KISSWorld. Cleo and Demon have been together since then. The time has finally come for Cleo to know the trut...
64 1 27
"The realization and truth of my life confused me. My stepmother was actually my father. The man I knew as my father was really a stranger. I was hal...
753 19 20
A young woman, forced to run away from her mentally and emotionally abusive brother, finds herself at a bakery. Hoping to find something to eat, she...
2K 202 30
In a world of magic and ancient creatures, humans lost the war to demons hundred of years ago. Humans are little more than servants to demon kind, un...