The 23 challenges

By Swiftpaths

A once cheerful and go-lucky boy named Ash one day meets a new Professor who changes his life forever. Warnin... More

Chapter 1 (Edited)
Chapter 2 (Edited)
Chapter 3 (Edited)
Chapter 4 (Edited)
Chapter 5 (Edited)
Chapter 6 (Edited)
Chapter 7 (Edited)
Chapter 8 (Edited)
Chapter 9 (Edited)
Not Chapter but an announcement
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Bloopers... and behind the scenes

Chapter 10 (Edited)

987 17 1
By Swiftpaths

It was a unique day, given that Ash was travelling to the third landscape the vast ocean. However, during the trip, Ash meets the third trainer from Z town a girl name Zoe with her Squirtle. 

Ash met her by accident and it seems that she is the complete opposite of Dean being reserved and a little shy. This attitude reminds Ash of a certain childhood friend but he pushes that aside for a while as he now has a new problem, trying to get Zoe to see the Water Gym Leader, Tribit. 

"Can we not, I can train on my own for this," said Zoe trying to avoid the help as it required talking to another person. 

"You need help Zoe, you have no idea what you are doing with Squirtle, and if you are scared to talk to other people I can help you with that," said Ash trying to reason with the stubborn girl. 

However, Zoe heard the last part and was interested due to having Ash do the talking. 

"Fine... but we need to actually get to the ocean landscape first," said Zoe now willing to see the Water Specialist.

As they travel to the ocean landscape, Ash was thinking about a good old friend wondering how she was doing. He thought about the memories they had and smiled. While Ash was thinking about the memories, Lucario smirked knowing what his trainer is pondering about.

(After a good 3-hour walk...)

Ash and Zoe now arrive at the Ocean Landscape and are surprised to see the actual beauty of the Vapour Ocean. The Vapour Ocean was like nothing else with many geological specialities that made it special.

Unlike most of the beaches of the other Regions, the beaches of the Vapour Ocean were full of many boulders creating tidal pools which has much smaller Water Pokemon living in them to be healthy before the high tide comes. 

There were many exotic and unique Pokemon there with Zoe having a strong sensation to catch up but failing to do so with Ash noticing that Zoe is not very experienced with battling. However, she is very cunning and smart on Pokemon moves but Squirtle does not know how to pull off the move leading to many funny and embarrassing moments that Ash would call 'Rookie mistakes'.

 But Ash did not voice his words knowing how Zoe would react if he did create a bigger problem than Zoe not wanting to talk to the Water Gym Leader Tribit. 

"So are you going to get the gear to get to the Water Gym," said a guy appearing in one of the tide pools scaring the hell out of her and making Ash almost laugh knowing about it with his aura. 

"Ahh!!!! W..w...who are you?!" said Zoe screaming as if the man was going to take her life away. 

"Wait no it is a misunderstanding this is Tribit the Water-type Gym Leader," said Ash trying to make sense of the situation. 

"Ahh! Wait really he is the Gym Leader of the Vapour Gym?" said Zoe not aware of the insult that pierced Tribit's heart. Leading to Ash sighing and patting Tribit on the back. 

"It's okay Tribit that is not what she meant okay," said Ash trying to help with the Water Gym Leader's confidence and morale. 

"No it's okay I had more interesting and more extreme cases before," said Tribit now standing to face both Ash and Zoe. 

"Well that's intriguing but can you tell us more about the gear to get to your gym please," said Ash currently calming down from the holdback laughter at Zoe's expense. 

"Very well we would need diving gear as the Gym is located underwater being at the centre of the Vapour Ocean," said Tribit not seeing the shocked face from Zoe and the intriguing face from Ash wanting to know about how the battle would take place. 

"Well that's interesting but where can we find one?" asked Zoe interested in diving which at first shocked Ash. 

"Well you can get one at Pokemon Centre there which will provide one when you show your trainer statues," said Tribit as he just casually jumped into the Vapour Ocean, not to be seen again. Freaking out Zoe but Ash did not flinch guessing that water-breathing might be Tribit's unique ability. 

"Well I'm going to get my equipment you coming Zoe?" said Ash slowly leaving and heading towards the Pokemon Center. 

"No wait up!" screamed Zoe trying to catch up with the raven-haired boy.

(After a good 30 minutes of Nurse Joy teaching them how to use the scuba gear...)

"Well this is a completely new experience," said Ash right now swimming towards the Vapour Gym. 

"Of course it's different we are literally underwater right now," said Zoe trying to make fun of Ash but failing miserably as Ash is focusing on getting to the Vapour Gym.

 After a good 15-minute dive Ash and Zoe reach the Vapour Gym and what a gym it was the entire place was underwater with occasional air pockets and air tanks to refill air. Ash and Zoe continued to explore the Vapour Gym, Tribit then hits them with his iconic jump scare looking like a Sharpedo making Zoe turn around and swim into a coral making Tribit and Ash sweat drop looking at the girl's antics. 

"Well other than that... would you like to start the Gym Battle for the both of you," said Tribit taking the attention of both trainers to look at the bizarre battlefield and it was nothing like it. 

The battlefield was filled with beautiful coral and shells and some smaller water Pokemon living near it. Ash was concerned about the battlefield because he feared harming Pokemon that were not involved in the battle. Tribit seems to notice the concern and tells them something interesting about the boy. 

"It seems that you are concerned about the Pokemon living here Ash and I think I would like to tell you about the rules of my Gym first okay," said Tribit with calmness with seemed to cool off Ash's nerves with his Aura now being relaxed and calm with his knowing his own powers would go crazy if an innocent Pokemon is hurt.

"Now that out of the way would you like to start your Gym Battle Ash," said Tribit with a grin. 

"Very well but may you explain the rules please," said Ash. 

"Greatly, the first is that this is a one-on-one and the second rule is to not harm the surrounding Pokemon as this is their habitat if a single surrounding coral or Pokemon that is not the Gym Leader or trainer is harmed you are disqualified for the match," said Tribit sternly showing that he was very serious on the matter.

"Thanks for clarification Tribit but I have one more question," said Ash with a smile.

 "And what is that my dear challenger," said Tribit with a smile feeling the challenging aura radiating from Ash. 

"Shall we have a beautiful battle dance?" said Ash enlarging his Pokeball. 

"You bet we will and here is my friend Sharpedo," said Tribit as he release the Brutal Pokemon. Ash is now thinking over who to use in battle until he thinks of his best pick. 

"Lucario battlefront," said Ash surprising Tribit and Zoe over his choice however the next thing they saw was nothing short of amazing as Lucario creates an aura platform and breathing bubble keeping Lucario stable for the fight.

(Water Gym Battle [Gym Leader Tribit]

The battle starts as Sharpedo swims forwards trying to take a bite at Lucario who jumps up and uses small aura platforms to boost Lucario's speed effectively dodging many of Sharpedo's attacks. As time went on Lucario then stops with Ash's command with Aura.

Lucario places himself on a platform staring still as he sees Sharpedo approach at high speeds Lucario charges a move that would mean devastation. However in this case physics seems to teach Ash and Lucario a lesson as in water physical moves are far less weak and harder to pull off. 

As Lucario uses close combat Sharpedo was caught off guard and still took a decent amount of damage as Sharpedo seems to take damage from the move and has to be a bit slower from the start. The battle went on, and Lucario fought with extreme caution with him not wanting to harm the surroundings around him. Ash seems to want to end it however with the constant speed Sharpedo seems to display. It is still a battle in favour of Tribit.

Ash was looking for a fast way out and he was already preparing one as he informs Lucario to create a platform sideways confusing the Pokemon. But seeing his trainer's confidence he believed as he creates and platform and landed on it. 

Next was the craziest thing, Lucario was hesitant about this plan but complied. Focusing his aura on his feet to propel himself forward towards Sharpedo. Who was met with Aura Sphere to the face knocking out the Pokemon. As Tribit returns his Pokemon he congratulates Ash for the challenge. And says something that made Ash chuckle awkwardly.

"You know Ash you are really incredible as you are the only person crazy enough to actually beat the Vapour Challenge first try," said Tribit surprising Ash and Zoe as Tribit continues to talk about the stories of other trainers failing to be aware of the surroundings and in all cases, it happened the Pokemon below retaliated as they spray water on the trainer for the disqualification. 

"Well that is interesting but I think Zoe would like to be your apprentice and I now leave as my Pokemon needs healing and a good rest," said Ash leaving the Gym alone with Zoe being incredibly awkward.

(At the Pokemon centre)

Ash is looking at the Capri Map seeing the next three Gym battles being right next to a cave he had traveled to years ago. As Ash was thinking that he wasn't aware of the flicking of grey light right at the corner of the centre as it quickly vanishes into nothing.

(A/N: I'm terribly sorry if this was not good as I'm using my phone to type this and my PC just decided to commit suicide. And the Gym Battle typing format is different this time around as I think it would be easier to type it and make it more interesting than me typing saying "Mimikyu use Shadow Claw!" for every important battle as it would actually kill my morale. But I think this would be the end of this chapter I hope you have a normal or great day since mine is pretty uneventful.)

(Editor's Note: Pain...is the only answer I have for this chapter)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.6K 1.7K 35
From darkness comes light. From light come darkness. A boy name ASH Ketchum is a champion of alola, Prince and soon to be king of Rota he have everyt...
79 7 7
Jamie gets to go to universe 788 because something from her past has gotten not only her attention but also the higher-ups, and Zero Squad's attentio...
30.3K 617 23
As the Kalos gang continue to travel around the region, one little change of mind would trigger several emotional thoughts and revelations, and cause...
5.2K 73 12
Pokemon AU Story! Between trying to survive high school while getting beat up and teased by the popular kids, Ash Ketchum was just your average every...