Denial

By HILLYEee

"This bond is a mistake. Even Thea Seléni knows that" Queen Ismena Aria Ariti of Ourà Fengàri feels a pull to... More

||ABOUT|| & Character aesthetics
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
✨ EPILOGUE ✨

VIII

51 10 12
By HILLYEee

Ourà Fengàri
*

***************************************

"Aria Ariti, you're slacking. I trained you better than this". Dalcia scolded as she threw a punch at her daughter.

"I have my days, mother". Aria said and caught her punch mid air, twisting Dalcia's arm behind her.

"Not so smug now, are we?" Aria teased her mother who was trying to free her arm from Aria's grasp.

She did free her arm after seconds of trying and elbowed Aria in the ribs making her stagger but that wasn't enough to take her down so she kicked her shin.

They had been sparring for almost an hour since training begun for the day and since both of them were hot headed women, no one wanted to quit. The warriors had stopped training to watch them instead. The people of the Queendom adored their queen for a lot of reasons. Her fighting skills were one and Dalcia, Doukai, Eros, Zekai and Lina happened to be the only ones who had the ability to take her on.

Aria punched Dalcia in the gut so her steps faltered and she took it as an opportunity to grasp both her hands,put them behind her and block her windpipe with her other around her throat. Aria hardly used submission but since her mother was determined to take her down today, she resorted to it.
Dalcia kicked her daughter's shin, stepped on her feet, tried elbowing her yet she didn't budge and eventually she bared her neck in submission.

"Vasílissa Ismena wins ". Lina announced.

"Still think I'm slacking?". Aria asked her mother with raised eyebrows.

"You won through submission. That is a coward's way" Dalcia argued

"And you lost to submission. Who is more of a coward? The one who lost to a supposed coward or the supposed coward?".

"Aria you have to give mother some credit. She's an old woman already. You should be happy she's sparring with you" Lina said with a smile.
Dalcia wanted to slap the grins off her daughters' faces. She thought Lina was going to take her side till she called her an old woman.

"Then she should be sparring with her age mates. Like father and Kyría Celma". Aria told Lina

"I'll have you know that I'm old not frail". Dalcia snapped

"Who said you were frail?" Lina asked hiding another smile.

"And are you implying that our father, your beloved Zekai is frail?" Aria questioned with an amused look.

"I'll see you girls at lunch". Dalcia said and left. She couldn't win when Lina and Aria teamed up against her.

"Alright, mother". They chorused amidst laughs.

Dalcia may be a bit too strict but she loved her children without doubt. She only feared her daughter incurring the wrath of Thea Seléni.
And if it meant putting more pressure on her in order to make her accept her mate, she would. Even if it meant making their mother- daughter relationship more strained.
She was only being a mother and she knew Aria wouldn't understand that she had to act how she did.

"I look forward to the day I defeat you again. It's been years" Lina admitted to her sister

"You defeated me a few days ago"

"That was because you went easy on me. Hell, your stressed out ass wasn't even fighting"

"Well that was your only chance". Aria said with a wink.

Aria left Lina to take charge of training and went to take a bath. She was expected in the court today. She disliked court hearings because she had to be a little bit cold in some situations. If she didn't do it that way too, she'd be encouraging lawlessness and she would hate to see that in her Queendom.

The elders of the Queendom who were also members of the council were seated when she entered the courtroom. Her throne was made out of with a half moon engraved in it. There was another throne beside it; meant for whoever would become king, whoever she mated with. She hated the way it reminded her of both Doukai and Demitri. How she wanted to choose Doukai even though her mother had made it obvious she wouldn't let that happen on her watch.

The elders stood with a bow in respect immediately she entered. They waited for her to take her seat and after a nod for them to take their seats, they did.

"How many cases are to be presented today?" Aria asked.

"A hundred, Vasílissa" Fae Aurae answered as she took charge of the hearings.

"Let's begin"

After hearing and addressing about fifty if the hundred cases which mostly involved theft and verbal assault on the major side and trespassing on the minor side. She hoped the rest were not worse. The people of Ourà Fengàri weren't disobedient to their leaders but like in every group of people, there are the misfits, who are determined to stand out in all the negative ways.

It was a bit easier with some cases because her in built lie detector made her know right away if a suspect was telling lies or not

One case of a daughter disrespecting her father by disregarding his request for a some items in the market got her a bit riled up. First because she thought it was unnecessary. It was certainly a matter they didn't need to bring before the queen. She later learned that it had gotten to her because the father never spoke to the daughter since and the daughter was prevented from seeing her mother and brother. The second reason why it got her riled up was because Dalcia couldn't stop giving her snide looks as if something similar would happen to her if she didn't grant her her wish of accepting Demitri.
She almost acted unfair in her judgement but years if control taught her to never let emotions cloud her judgement. She learned the hard way almost a decade ago. In the end, the daughter who had been hellbent on never apologizing to her father, was made to apologize, willingly after she was made to see how her act affected her father and the father was made to eat his words of cutting her off from the family.

Happy was an understatement for how she felt when the last case was dealt with.

"You don't have to make it so obvious that you hate such days" Lina whispered as they walked back to the castle.

"I don't feel like pretending today" Aria told her.

" Good day, Vasílissa, General Lina". Doukai greeted upon meeting them.

"It feels weird as hell when you address me by my title". Aria said.

Lina left them after mumbling an excuse that was barely audible to any of them. It was that way whenever Aria was with Doukai. She could barely see or hear anything that isn't about him.

"How are you doing today, Kardíà?" Doukai asked as they made their way into her room and she melted. Always the sweet person.

"I've had better days. It didn't help that I had to punish some people today"

"I know how you hate to do that but it has to be done. We can't have irresponsible people causing chaos in Ourà Fengàri now, can we?"

"You're right. I just wish nobody broke any laws"

"I understand".

"Shit!" Aria cursed loudly when she tripped over her feet and fell face first. Doukai rushed to her and helped her up.

"Sorry Kardíà. I hope it's nothing serious"

"I hit my head and it's beginning to hurt". Aria muttered as he helped her sit on her bed. She bent to see what possibly caused her fall because she wasn't clumsy by nature and when she lifted the dress, she found that her anklet had caught a piece of it.

"Of course my anklet had to make me trip". She said with with a laugh as she carefully removed it from the part it got stuck to.

"I'll bring you some tea to numb the headache". Doukai told her and she thanked him.
❤️
A part of her wished that he'd start acting odd, that he'd do things she disliked, that he'd say something mean, anything so that she could find reason to detach herself from him. She wanted him to give her reason to leave him but he only got sweeter and kinder. She was a little lost in her thoughts so she didn't hear him enter with her tea.

"Here". He said handing it to her.

"Thank you, Kai". She said and began sipping it slowly.

"I'll leave you to rest but if you need anything, don't hesitate to call me".

"Alright"

The slight headache that the tea was supposed to help numb only got worse and eventually, she couldn't bear the pain any longer so she sent for Lina.

"Ismena...". Lina paused mid sentence when she looked at her sister. She was going to tease her about how she can't go an hour without her calming presence but she realized it wasn't the time for jokes.

"What's happening? Is the fucker boning someone again?" Lina asked in a low voice, willing herself to be calm because it would take a lot for her to not match to the borders of the wolves to beat the shit out of their leader.

"No, Lina. I don't know what's happening to me. Just... It hurts everywhere.". Aria replied clutching her stomach and practically dragging herself to the bathroom to throw up.
Lina gathered her hair and pushed it to one side so it she doesn't get puke in it.

"I've sent for Kyría Celma. She'll be here soon". Lina assured her sister who was whining in pain and rolling from side to side on her bed.

"Whatever the fuck has been happening to my body since the fucking traitor appeared?" Aria questioned nobody in particular as she felt her head been split. That's what her headache felt like aside the blinding pain of nails piercing her forehead.

"I have no idea but this doesn't look like heat and if the fucker isn't fucking someone else,then I can't say"

"She's here" Lina said as Kyría Celma entered.

She quickly went to work and touched Aria's forehead with her forefinger and middle finger. It was the fastest way to detect what was going on inside the queen's body.
She flinched and turned pale.

"What have you consumed today?" She asked Aria.

"I drank tea an hour or so ago"

"There's poison lurking through your veins. I think you drank a potion and not just tea."

"That's impossible" Aria said in disbelief. None of the servants in the palace would even dare.

"It's a potion prepared with Oleander and foxglove. I sense a spell of binding. Whoever prepared this wants to get you sick. The intention isn't to kill you. But to get you bedridden"

"No. Nobody would dare. Doukai asked for it to be prepared for me. He would do no such thing. Neither would any of the servants in here"

"I think we should deal with who dared later and focus on healing you". Lina said and Kyría Celma's face fell.

"What's it, Kyría Celma?" Aria who also noticed the look on the witch leader's face asked.

"The antidote I can prepare will only be ready in the morning and it's only effective in the morning"

"Shit". Aria cursed both from the pain and from Celma's words. It was afternoon. She'd have to endure pain till the next morning if it didn't succeed in sending her to the point of death.

"Isn't there anything that can help reduce the pain?" Lina asked

"No and that's what makes me think whoever is behind this only wants you sick for a while and not dead. There is something that could help but I doubt you'd want to do that"

"At this point, I'd do anything for her. She already looks paler and ready to die. She can't even sit straight!"

"The touch of her mate could help" Kyría Celma told them and Lina nodded slowly. Her sister, on the other hand, was not having it.

"And my mother's vision of me dying because of the stupid traitor finally manifests itself. This is where I fucking die."

"I'm going to get him.". Lina said.

"Don't you dare". Aria bellowed but Lina was just as stubborn as she was.

"Please stay with her, Kyría Celma"

"You'll receive whatever punishment there is for trespassing. I'll make no exceptions for you, Lina ". Aria warned.

"Then so be it, Vasílissa". Lina said and dashed out the door.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

"Àlfa"

"What is it?" Demitri growled at the wolf who had rushed into his office.

"There is a witch at the pack borders demanding to see you" The warrior informed making him groan.

"Did she say who she was?"
Demitri questioned and his response was the warrior gulping loudly and slowly shaking his head. Whoever it was had done something to scare him because that warrior was one of the best in the pack and he wasn't easily moved at all. Not by anything till whatever witch it was at the pack borders.

"What did she do to you?" Demitri asked him.

"She's quite skilled with the sword" The warrior replied.
Demitri hoped to Thea Seléni that it wasn't his mate else he wasn't sure what he'd do.
He wasn't prepared to meet her again. Not yet.

He got up and made for the pack borders. It seemed the moon goddess was in high spirits today because he took a deep breath, relieved that it wasn't his mate he found at the border, however her sister,who was known for her sharp tongue and stubborn personality stood with her arms crossed on her chest, waiting for him. Her sword resting against her thighs as she leaned on a tree.

"It's good I trusted my instincts to carry a sword with me. That prick of a warrior wouldn't relay the information to you. I must say if there's one good thing about traitorous dogs, they're loyal as fuck"
Lina commented when she saw Demitri approaching.
He growled loudly in response which only caused her to grin.

"Why are you here?" He gritted out causing Lina to roll her eyes.
She would have taken time to tease him a little but her sister was probably summoning death due to the pain she would be feeling.

"I need your help or more specifically, your mate needs your help"

"Don't you have any better lie to manipulate me with?" Demitri asked with a passive look.

"I wish I had time to play stupid games with you, Demitri..."

"It's Àlfa to you". Demitri snapped

"Alright, Àlfa Demitri, my sister is at the point of death and since you're her mate and her death would definitely affect you, I am pleading with you to help heal her. With your presence,of course"

So that explained the little stabs of pain he'd been feeling. Since they hadn't mated, he couldn't feel the pain a lot but it was there.

"You must be dreaming if you think I'll follow you into that wretched land of yours"

"Well, I can dream can't I? I'm telling the truth. She's been poisoned" Lina said without any trace of amusement.
The news made Demitri feel a little pang in his chest but he maintained his cold look,not giving anything out for Lina or the warrior beside him to know that a part of him wanted her safe.

"What has that got to do with me?"

"She's your mate. The only antidote available won't be ready until morning. She's in too much pain and only the touch of her mate could help."

"She could pass out for days Demitri. I don't suppose you are that insensitive"

"That's rich coming from you, knowing how cold and ruthless your queen and sister is"

"But she's your mate. Shouldn't you feel for her? You couldn't have your emotions buried so deep"

"I guess I need to prove it to you then". Demitri said and turned to walk away leaving Lina stunned.

It took minutes for Lina to recover from the shock of Demitri's actions. She really had hope that he'd follow her. Or was it that the mate bond was non-existent? Maybe they weren't really mates.

When she made it back to the castle she rushed to Aria's room. She wasn't too surprised to find her curled on her bed sobbing quietly. Aria never liked to show any sign of weakness so it was no surprise that she was trying to hold it in. She also liked being in control that's why she was trying to control her emotions but it clearly wasn't doing anything to help.

"You will be punished for breaking the treaty. No witch or vampire or fae or fairy or dragon is supposed to get to the pack borders of the traitors."

"I accept my punishment, Vasílissa. I should've listened to you instead of making an attempt only to fail. Forgive me" Lina said barely above a whisper.

"Zira, call the guards". Aria told he personal maid and she went and came back with two guards by her side.

Aria looked at Lina. She looked very sad and that wasn't like her. No sarcastic reply or an amused smile. No fire in her eyes. Blank.
And she could only hope it wasn't because she was mad at her. It couldn't be that because if she was, she wouldn't accept the punishment. Lina always stood her ground so it had to be something else.
Demitri must have done something to make Lina that way and she mentally swore that she'd make him pay. Nobody messed with her sister. No body.

"Take her to the dungeons.". Aria directed the guards and they nodded as they grabbed both her arms, leading her to the dungeons.
Lina wished she could tell her sister what a cold hearted bastard she had been paired with. What a true beast Demitri was but she wouldn't like to increase the pain she was feeling.
The worst scenario would be being imprisoned for a few months without using magic and she was ready to face it. She only prayed the time went faster so that morning would be upon them soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

779 18 4
Giorgio Vincenzo Lazzaro He's the Alpha of Luna d'argento pack. He's 24 and he's completely given up on the ideas of mates because an Alpha usually m...
14K 442 43
Book 2 of Mate of the Alpha. My mate was one of the most powerful Alphas in the world, one of the three brothers. No one would have known that he had...
65.4K 2.8K 44
Rejected by her mate five years ago, Eva Highwater has been tormented by the mate bond with her mate Alpha Dante Black - all because her wolf will no...
64.5K 2.8K 40
Freya Highwater was rejected by her mate five years ago, a rejection she accepted and moved on from. Since then her life has blossomed as she focused...