The Prodigal Son (Complete)

By munsen12

A man is known by his name. What if one day it is snatched from you, and you are termed a con man in your own... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
The Return of Prodigal Son
Epilogue

Chapter 3

1.4K 253 138
By munsen12

Sidharth walks towards the memorial of Mahima Dewan built inside the children's park. His father had built it after she passed away. He stands in front of it, staring at her statue. He misses her so much today. Only if she was here, life would have been different.
Suddenly a child comes and grabs his leg from behind. He turns and picks him up. He smiles at him and asks,
"Hey! Ki naam tomar? What's your name? Where is your Baba and Ma?"
The child, a three year old boy, smiles without replying.

He starts looking around for his parents and dashes with a lady. She is about to fall when he grabs her wrist and pulls her closer to his chest. Her hair fell on her face, covering it completely. She slowly removes her hair, revealing herself to him. Their eyes meet and for a minute they get lost in each other. The child touches his chin breaking the trance. He slowly helps her stand again.

"No matter what happens, you may love me or not, I will keep loving you. I will never leave you, Sid."

She is tall, beautiful with long curly hair. She wears a cream chikan saree, a pair of diamond studs on her ears and no makeup except for a lip balm.
They keep looking at each other until the child says, "Mumma."
Sidharth looks towards the woman standing behind her. He takes the child to her and hands him over to her. He turns to find her walking away with a group of kids in uniform.

"Please wait."
He calls from behind. She stops and says something to another lady accompanying her. The lady walks with the kids and she waits there for him to come.
"Why are you calling me? I don't think we should talk."
She says without looking at him.
"I.. I just.. How are you?"
She turns to face him. Her beautiful eyes are red as she controls the tears that are trying to break the boundaries.

"Who are you to ask me that? I don't know you. You are a stranger."
Sidharth smiles, "Is that so? Then why are those tears trying their best to spill out?"
She looks away, "I shouldn't be talking to you."
"I just wanted to know if you are okay."

"Why? Who are you to ask these questions? You don't know me and I don't know you."
"Maybe... maybe we didn't get to know each other. But you know very well who I am. Basundhara, you out of all know very well I am Sidharth Dewan. And I want to know how you are because we are still.."
"Shut up. You are nobody to me. You are just a.."
"Fraudster? Basundhara, you know this is not true. You might not accept me for who I am but you know what our relationship is. We were friends once, Basundhara. At Least for the sake of friendship, you can talk to me."

Basundhara looks up to him and a drop of tear escapes her eyes.
"Sid, you should not talk about our relationship. You never had any respect for it. Then why now? And which relationship are you talking about? The one where I had to hide our reality in front of the world. The one where only I did things for you and you didn't even care if I am living or dead. And friendship? You really never cared for me. As a friend you just gave me pain. Please Sid, stop telling me all these."

Sidharth nods his head,"I know how much you have suffered because of me. Trust me, there's not a single day that I repent for my behavior. I don't deserve to even stand and ask for your forgiveness. But you know what Basundhara, I am happy. You addressed me as Sid. You accept me as Sidharth Dewan. That's enough for me."
Basundhara looks at him, "No. I don't. And if you think I will give my statement in favour of you in court then you are wrong. You are not Sid."

Sidharth gives her a sad smile, "No matter what happens, you may love me or not, I will keep loving you. I will never leave you. Those were the words."
He takes a pause, "I don't expect you to give any statement in my favor at the court. I am not asking anything from you. Not even your forgiveness. I wanted to know if you are alright. You were not well the last time I saw you."

She stares at him with tears, "Why are you behaving like a good guy? Like you are really concerned for me. If you are Sidharth Dewan then you should hate me."
He smiles a little, "You know I am Sidharth Dewan. But I have changed. That accident not only changed my life but also me. Basundhara, I can't hate you. And I am genuinely concerned for you. Afterall you are still my wife. Take care."

Sidharth gets down from his car and goes inside. An old woman of 70s sits in the living room with Saivi. She is beautiful even at this age. She wears a off-white silk saree, a string of pearls in her neck, pearl bangles and studs. Her grey hair is neatly tied into a bun.
"Yeh lo Sid bhi aa gaye."
Saivi says as Sidharth comes in and hugs the old lady and sits beside her.
"Dida, kya chal raha hai?"

Dida or Gayatri Parmar has been more than Sidharth and Saivi's grandmother. As a young widow, she came to the Dewan house as Sourav's governess. Soon she became an essential part of the family. After the death of Mahima, it was she who took care of young Saivi and Sidharth.

Dida caressing his face says,"Teri shaadi ki preparation."
Sidharth breaks the hug, "Dida, please why this hurry? I think we must wait a little.."
Dida says,"No. I don't want to listen to your excuses. I want you settled in life. She is a good girl and you know her from your childhood. Time kyun chahiye?,"
"Dida, I just know her, like just know her.. To spend life with someone, we need to.. how will I explain?"
"Sidu, bas. Don't try to explain anything to me. Jo jaana hai shaadi ke baad jaan lena. Get married and return to the mansion. I can't take care of this house alone. And I can't let you live in that Penthouse. Bas drinks aur party karta rehta hai. You don't eat anything properly nor on time. Look how thin you have become."

Sidharth and Saivi start to laugh, "Really Dida? The world calls me hulk and for you I am getting thinner. You will never give up with this patent dialog of yours."
"No. Abhi dekh."
She shows her a diamond ring.
"On the engagement you put this ring in her finger. "

A lady in a black dress stands at the balcony, looking at the city lights. A little later Sidharth walks up to her and stands beside her.
"Barun has fallen asleep on the couch along with his friend. Do you want me to drop you home? Your friends have left too."
She turns towards him with a smile, "Do you mind if I stay back?"
Sidharth raises his eyebrows, "No. Why should I? You are more than welcome to stay. Come I will show you the room."

She looks around the room, designed in the contemporary style as the rest of the house.
"Why do you live here when you have such a big house?"
"I purchased this with my money. It's mine. Unlike those other properties which come with the burden of Dewan surname, here I can be me, only Sidharth. But you don't have to worry, after the wedding you can stay in the Dewan house."
"I? "
She walks closer to him, "You meant we. Right?"

Sidharth smiles and stares at her. She looked exquisite in red lips, dark eyeshadow and open hair. She runs her finger on his biceps.
"I can live here too if you want. I just want to be around you."
She brings her face near him and kisses his cheek. He had never seen her like a seductress. Unable to resist her charm, he cups her face and is about to take her lips when his phone rings. He leaves her and picks up the phone after going out of the room.

He appears a few minutes later, changed into office clothes.
"Basundhara, I.. need to go to the office now. There's some emergency. You stay here tonight. I will try to come back sooner."
He left without any hug and she stood there feeling rejected and lonely.

Sidharth Dewan and Basundhara Mittal knew each other since they were kids. Barun, her brother and he were school mates. Mittals were an old business family with a group of hotels in Mumbai, Jaipur and Goa. Dida found Basundhara perfect for Sidharth. She was educated, intelligent, beautiful and down to earth. Along with helping her brother in the business, she did a lot of charity work. She was the ideal daughter-in-law to the Dewan family.

However Sidharth had no interest in settling down so soon. After much pressure from Dida, eventually said yes and got hitched with her after a grand 6 days celebration.

The room at the Penthouse was decorated beautifully with flowers and candles. Basundhara sat at the edge of the bed. She wears a gorgeous red designer lehenga with diamond jewelry and full makeup. She sat there turning the bangles on her wrist nervously.
Although she knew Sidharth since childhood, they were not that close. They hardly talked even after getting engaged due to his busy schedule. She had made several attempts to get closer to him but it never worked.

It has been hours since she sat there waiting for him to come. But there's been no sign of him anywhere. She had no idea when she had fallen asleep sitting there. Her sleep broke with the sound of the door knob turning. She looks up to find Sidharth in the Jodhpuri suit entering the room.

Basundhara stands up and he is startled to find her there. He smiles meekly, scratching his hair.
"Oh! It's you Basundhara. My legally wedded wife.. I had..
forgotten.. my bad.. Why are you .. standing? Sit.. make yourself at home. This is after all your place too. Although this is not as big as the Dewan house, it's not bad.. I will.. soon...take you there.. soon.."
He comes and plops on the chair after opening the buttons of the Bandhgala jacket.
"You know Basundhara, I never felt that house as my home after Mum passed away. I don't think... I can stay there.. But you can if you want."

Basundhara comes closer, "I am your wife. I will stay wherever you live. Are you tired?"
Sidharth looks up to her and smiles, "No. I am drunk. My friends made me drink. Sorry. I am.. tipsy right now. "
"Lie down on the bed. You will feel better."
She helps him remove the jacket and lie down on the bed.
"Basundhara, I might not be .. the right guy for you. You are a good person and I... bad. But I will try .. try to do my duties as a husband. I will.. you are really good. I am.. bad... I am not right for you.."
Sidharth falls asleep and Basundhara draws the blanket over him. Her eyes fall on his neck, she gets up from the bed and leaves.

Sidharth was gone the next morning when Basundhara woke up. She had fallen asleep on the chair in the morning hours. He didn't call her the whole day but just left a text asking her to have lunch with Dida alone as he is stuck up in some meeting.

That night, he arrived and went on to change to leave for a party.
"Where are you going?"
Basundhara asks as he buttons up his shirt.
"I have to be at a dinner with my Singapore client and then Rishi threw a party in my honor. I have to attend that. It's only a boys ' party , so I can't take you there."
"I am not asking you to take me but don't you think you should spend some time with me. We just got married. "

Sidharth walks up to her and smiles, "Basundhara, we have our whole lives together ahead. I don't think we need to spend anything now. My friends are important for me. I can't ditch them right now. "
"And what about me? Am I not important? Okay tell me, where were you last night?"
"Told you, with my friends. They got me drinking. "
"And it was not an all boys party. As I found an earring stuck on your jacket and you have got a hickey on your neck."

Sidharth's face turns serious. He doesn't reply to anything but starts brushing his hair. Basundhara holds his arm,
"I am asking you something, Sid. Answer me."
He turns to face, "Listen Sidharth Dewan doesn't like to give any explanation to anyone."
"I am not just anyone. I am your wife. Answer me."

"Yes, I was drunk and I was with a girl. What do you want me to do? Apologize? Fine. Sorry. But this is who I am. And you knew that about me from before."
Basundhara's eyes fill with tears, "Yes I knew about you. But you are my husband now. You should not be with other women. Instead of spending our first night together, you were with some s***. How can I not feel insulted? How can I not say anything to you?"

Sidharth nods his head.
"You all women just want to sleep with me. That's what you want. I should have understood that the night you stayed back."
"Shut up, Sid. I am your wife. Give a minimum respect to me."
"You are right we are a couple. As husband and wife ,we should have done the needs the first night we were together. But I was with another woman. My bad. You want to be f*** up then you will be."

He lifts her in his arms and throws her on the bed. He starts unbuttoning his shirt and comes over her. He tears down her zip and slips down the strap of her dress, revealing her bare shoulders. He starts kissing her neck, pinning her down on the bed.
"Sid.. what are you doing?.. stop.. Sid..."
She fights hard but he doesn't leave her, biting her hard on her collarbone, leaving marks all over his soft skin.
She starts to sob and Sidharth immediately stops. He gets up from over her and moves away from the bed.
Turning away from her,
"Why the hell are you crying? I don't force myself on women. Even if you are my wife, I won't force on you. I won't.."

Basundhara sits up, pulling her dress up. She covers her face sobbing silently.
"What the f***! Stop crying!"
She gets startled and controls herself.
Running his fingers through his hair, "What the hell do you want from me?"
"Can't you understand anything?. I love you. You married me. You can't run into other women's arms. You need to love me back."
"Love? marriage? I don't believe in them. I have seen how a 15 years old love disappeared only in a span of two years and a beloved wife got replaced so easily by another woman. This world runs on needs. Need for money, power and s*x. There is no place for emotions here."

Basundhara wipes her tears, "Don't you love Saivi di, or Dida? Aren't those true emotions?"
Sidharth stares at her as she continues, "We have been friends, Sid. Can't you even try to work on our relationship?"
Sidharth lowered his head, "I don't know Basundhara. I will try but I don't know if I can be a good husband to you. I am a bad guy, Basu. You shouldn't be with me. I had told you earlier. I had told you, we should not get married. You deserve a better guy. But you wanted this. You wanted to marry me."
"Yes, because I have always been in love with you."

Sidharth takes a pause, "You have all the freedom to stay anywhere, buy anything and do things you love. I will not stop you from anything. I will make sure you won't have to ask for anything from me. You will get a good amount every month for your needs But you don't get to question me about anything. I don't like it. I will try to be what you expect. I will but if I fail, you are free to go back to your house. I will arrange for a divorce too with alimony, if you will ask."
Basundhara gazes at him with hurt, "No matter what happens, you may love me or not, I will keep loving you. I will never leave you, Sid."

Sidharth stands at the same place where Basundhara was standing a few years ago.
"Sidu, come and have dinner, then I will leave."
Saivi comes up and says to him, But he doesn't respond to her and keeps looking outside. She touches his arm,
"Sid."
Sidharth turns to face him, "I don't feel like eating. I want to rest."
"What is it? You seem lost after you came back. Where were you?"
"At the park, to see mum. Di, I met her there."

Saivi nods her head, "And she talked to you rudely."
"She is not wrong to do so. I have done everything wrong with her. That's why I said, it's Karma."
Saivi comes closer and says,"I know you were wrong then. Any justifications for that won't count. But what she did in return was not right either. She could have left you but instead she.."
"Di, we still don't know about that. And for whatever she did, I don't blame her."
Saivi touches his face, "I sometimes think is this my Sidu. You have changed so much."
Sidharth smiles, "Do you have doubts that I am Ratan Kumar? Planning to join Choti mom and Darshan to fight against me?"
"Shut up. I am going downstairs. You come."

Saivi leaves and Sidharth again turns towards the view ahead. Numerous buildings with families eating together, watching television and spending time. He remembers the Baba in the village, the father of real Rajat Kumar, Gajendra Kumar. He used to cook for both and they used to sit in the tiny warm kitchen and eat together. He had so much love for his son. So much that he didn't even care to see he was not him. There he found true love which was selfless. He had never found that kind of love from his own father. Only Dida and Saivi di were his family.

"Busy?"
Shehnaaz entered the room as he shook his head to say no.
"So you live here. But I have heard you have a bungalow and plenty of other places to live. Your Dida lives in one of the houses. Right? Are you not allowed to live there?"
Sidharth smiles, "Everything belongs to Sidharth Dewan and apparently I am Rajat Kumar, a fraudster. So no, I am not allowed to stay in those houses. This one was mine but I had transferred the ownership to Di's daughter, Jia. No restrictions here. And I like it here. I always had."

"It's beautiful. I like this place actually. The view is amazing. "
"Thank you again for coming."
"You have become more of a gentleman after coming here. I liked the old you. He was cute."
Sidharth smiles, "And you would have hated the older me, the real Sidharth Dewan."
Shehnaaz gazes at his face, "You feel guilty for your past. You have the realization. That's enough. You have changed that matters."

Sidharth walks away and slams his hand on the wall.
"No. It's not enough. I had made her life a living hell. She loved me but all I gave her was rejection and hatred. How can my realization make up for her lost years?"
"Who are you talking about?"

"Basundhara, my wife."
Shehnaaz stays silent as he continues, "I was termed the casanova. I was with every girl I could lay my hands on. Even after our marriage, I couldn't change. I made her suffer. She did the right thing by getting me out of her life."

He stops, sits down on the chair with his hands on his head. She could see him trembling with tears flowing out of his eyes. She walked up to him and kneels down before him. She cups his face and wipes away his tears.
"Did you love her?"
Sidharth stays silent as she repeats the question again.
"No." He finally answered. "I never did. I still don't. I had never had any feelings for her or anyone until.."

She smiles, "Until what Sidharth ji?"
He avoids looking at her.
"That was the cause of all problems. There was no love in your relationship. I mean from your side. I accept you did wrong and there's no way it could be justified. However, revenge is not the answer."

She continues, "You are realizing it and you feel bad for your actions. You can't unchange the past but you can learn from your mistakes and do things right in future. Apologize to her. But that's it."
Sidharth stares into her eyes, "Shehnaaz ji, do you hate me?"
She holds his face and kisses his forehead, "I never knew Sidharth Dewan. But I know this guy, sitting before me. He has a kind heart that cares for all. How can anyone who knows you, will hate you?"

She smiles, "You didn't tell me, you never felt those emotions until when."
Sidharth lowers his face,
"Muhabbat kya cheez hai
Yeh kabhi samjha hi nahi tha.
Farzi ehsaas sache lagte the,
Apni duniya mein kuch yun gum tha.

Sab kuch khoya toh jana sab kuch.
Riston ki ehimiyat main samjhe ab kuch.
Ek fariste se kuch yun rubaru hua,
Usspe hi haar baitha main apna sab kuch."

Sidharth Dewan was a negative character. Don't hate him though. He is changing..
A lot of mysteries will unfold with time. Hope it is going on well. Let me know.
Love 💕💕💕💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 17.9K 70
I fell in love with you, because you loved me when I couldn't love myself. Love truly is blind, and I'm ever so grateful for yours. °°° Best: No. #15...
346K 31.2K 103
This story is about his love, his passion, his possessiveness, his obsession for his one and only love HIS SHEHNAAZ.❤ To know more keep reading... "O...
304K 29.8K 72
SHORT STORIES ON #SIDNAAZ.. Hey there SidNaazians....! Here is your Typical SidNaazian Writer again..! Here I am gonna update 2 to 3 short stories w...
388K 41.7K 96
There are times you fall in love with someone not knowing whether or not the person feels the same for you. But if it's a childhood love you are some...