MISTRESS OF FLAME

By CeCeLib

[ BOOK 1 OF AZITERA: YTHER'S QUEEN ] Consumed by avarice, the four human kingdoms-the Infernal Empire, the Ki... More

SYNOPSIS
SOLLEL
AZITERA MAP
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
EPILOGUE
SPECIAL CHAPTER: Rescue
SPECIAL CHAPTER: A peek into the past
WRITER'S REVEAL: How the Azitera Series came to be
[FREE PREVIEW] - The Descendant of Sappher and the Former Elf Princess
SPECIAL CHAPTER: The Descendant of Sappher and the Former Elf Princess
SPECIAL CHAPTER: Bathtub (R-18)
SPECIAL CHAPTER: The Mistress of the Wind

CHAPTER 27

82.5K 8.5K 2.1K
By CeCeLib

CHAPTER 27

SOLLEL UNFOLDED the bird paper and was surprised to see a message inside. It was not the message that surprised her; it was the fact that it was written in an old language, not the new one. "Old language..."

Zassia gasped when she heard her teacher. "I'm sorry, Teacher! I forgot that it's written in the old language. I can translate it for you, if you want, Teacher."

Sollel got curious. "Why use the old language? To hide the content of the letter?"

Zassia shook her head and smiled proudly. "In our village, we used the old language because we revered the queens of Yther who helped us humans developed the language. Even now, I'm speaking to Teacher using the old language, but because of the linguae elixir I drank, instead of the old language, you're hearing the new developed language."

Sollel blinked. "Linguae...Elixir?"

Zassia nodded. "I don't know where my grandmother bought it though."

"Can you ask her?" Sollel knew she was demanding, but upon hearing the elixir, she had a feeling that that elixir had something to do why she could talk normally to others, like Zassia.

Zassia became sad at Sollel's question. "I'm sorry, Teacher. I don't have the means to communicate with Grandma. Only Grandpa could make this paper bird because he's a wind sorcerer."

Sollel looked at the bird paper in her hand. "Wind sorcerer, huh..."

Zassia nodded and looked down. "Sorry, Teacher."

"It's okay," Sollel replied nonchalantly, but it was a big deal to her. She just didn't want to sadden her student. It was not her fault. "Anyway, with your grandfather's message, I don't think we can enter Ager without a solid plan, or else, we're all going to prison."

Zassia paled, but she remained brave. "I will listen to the teacher's instruction. I will not endanger Teacher."

Zassia looked so adorable, like a child, in Sollel's eyes that Sollel couldn't help messing Zassia's hair. "You're my first student. I won't let anything bad happen to you too." Sollel stopped messing with Zassia's hair. "Now the first thing you should do is hide that staff of yours and wear a cloak to hide yourself."

"Yes, Teacher."

"And don't wander alone, Zassia. Your flame may be fierce, but you're still inexperienced."

Zassia nodded.

"How's your crawling flame, by the way? Are you getting better at it?"

Zassia blushed. "Only a little. My flame could follow me for fifteen seconds only—only a few meters." Unlike her teacher who could control her flame to follow her wherever without a time limit because her control over her flame was incredible, Zassia was having a hard time.

"Keep practicing." Sollel's voice was strict. "As you practice, you'll learn how to control your flame better. No one can get better at something overnight."

Zassia nodded earnestly, willing to give all her free time to practice. "Yes, Teacher."

"Before we reach the city of Ager, your crawling flame should be able to follow you for thirty seconds. If you're fighting against two opponents or more, the crawling flame that I'm teaching you is ideal for blocking, trapping, and attacking. It's a very important ability a flame sorceress should have."

Zassia was listening intently, but her mind was wandering. Teacher says that it's important, but no one in my village could do that, even the powerful ones.

"After you get better controlling your crawling flame, your next lesson will begin."

Zassia nodded and accepted the bird plane that she handed to her teacher.

"Just keep practicing and don't worry about anything," Sollel told Zassia confidently. "I'll think of something."

Zassia nodded again and excused herself.

When Zassia left, Sollel sighed when she remembered the content of the letter. It was a warning for Zassia not to come to Ager because she had become a wanted person, together with two hunters and an elf.

That means I'm not part of the wanted list... Sollel sighed and went back to the elf's house.

When Sollel sat on the chair beside Xeke, Xeke couldn't help asking because of the panic in Lady Zassia's voice. "What was that?"

Sollel leaned on her seat. "Just a message."

Xeke knew it was not just a message, but he didn't ask further. He just focused his attention on Cira, who was now opening her eyes after being unconscious for a few days.

"Y-your Highness..." These were the first words Cira spoke when she opened her eyes.

Xeke smiled and sighed at that. "I'm here too, you know."

"I don't care." Cira's head turned to look at Sollel and smiled. "I'm still alive, Your Highness. I can still help you."

Sollel's eyes watered. "Recover fast."

Cira nodded. "I only need food."

Xeke stood up. "I'll buy you some."

Even weak, Cira still managed to grin. "Thanks, Xeke."

Xeke just nodded and left, while Sollel moved to sit on the bed, beside Cira. "How are you feeling?"

Cira glanced at the healer. "She's good. I'm feeling better already."

Sollel smiled. "That's good to hear."

Cira smiled before she became forlorn. "I'm sorry. I lost."

Sollel shook her head. "It doesn't matter to me as long as you're alive."

That brought back the happiness in Cira's eyes. "He's too strong. Good thing Xeke rescued me."

"Xeke told me." Sollel fixed Cira's hair like how a mother would to her child. "Let's talk about it after you get better. For now, rest."

Cira nodded and closed her eyes to rest, while Sollel went back to her seat and stayed with Cira until the healer finished healing Cira.

"How is she?" Sollel asked the elf.

The female elf stood as far away from Sollel, making Sollel frown. "She'll be good as new when she wakes up."

Sollel got up and was about to shorten the distance between her and the female elf for better communication when the female elf swiftly moved to put a greater distance between them again.

Sollel's frown deepened. "Is something the matter?"

The female elf shook her head in a hurry, like Sollel will snap if she said something Sollel wouldn't like. "I just don't want to get burned. Your flame is too fierce, lady," The female elf said while stepping back. "Even I can feel your flame essence from where I'm standing, and it's scorching."

Sollel's eyebrow raised hearing that. She had heard before about some elves who was more sensitive than the others; it looked like the female elf in front of her was one of them. "I'm not going to hurt you. You just healed my friend."

The female elf was still doubtful while feeling the woman's fierce and scorching flame essence. "Then why are you spreading your essence like that?"

"I'm not."

"You are."

"No. I'm not."

The female elf frowned at Sollel. "You're...really not?"

Sollel nodded.

The frown on the female elf was replaced by astonishment. What a strong flame. "You're too strong, lady. You might be the strongest sorceress I know—and I know a lot."

Sollel smiled and sat back in her chair to calm the female elf who's still looking at Sollel warily. "What's an elf doing outside the sacred forest?" she asked to lessen the tension.

The elf sat on the chair with a safe distance from Sollel. "My reason is just like any other elf who's out of the sacred forest. I was kicked out."

Sollel glanced at Cira and to the female elf. "You broke the rules too?"

The female elf nodded. "I don't regret it. It made the lady I'm serving very happy."

Sollel nodded, and when it got quiet, Sollel introduced herself to the elf as a courtesy for saving Cira's life. "I'm El, Cira's friend."

"I am Elluin." The elf slightly bowed her head. "The only healer here in Sarnau."

"Thank you for saving my friend," said Sollel. "May I ask how much I should pay for your services?"

Elluin shook her head. "The man sitting beside you earlier already paid for it before you arrived."

"Oh."

Elluin nodded. "He was very worried. Are they lovers?" Elluin asked while glancing at Cira.

"Friends," Sollel answered.

Elluin just nodded, and silence fell on them. Thankfully, Xeke arrived with Cira's food.

Feeling that Cira was in good hands, Sollel left Cira with Xeke. After the letter of Zassia's grandfather, she must talk to Hakken before they entered the city of Ager.

Sollel didn't know where Hakken was, so she just followed Grath's essence to look for them, but along the way, she saw Hakken enter a blacksmith shop.

Sollel instantly followed Hakken and found him talking to a young dwarf. But what really caught Sollel's attention was the quality of the weapons inside. She knew that the dwarves were known for their forging, but the quality of the weapons on display could not be forged by a simple dwarf.

A master forgeman? Sollel looked at the dwarf talking to Hakken. Too young to be a master. To be a master forgeman, one must not only have talent but also have ample experience.

"We make the best weapons here in Sarnau!" the dwarf said proudly. "Even the weapons made by the empire is no match for us anymore!" The dwarf laughed and continued, "We dwarves are known for our smithing ability, so whatever weapon you see in this shop is top quality!"

That piqued Sollel's interest. "Your weapons can even compete with the empire?"

Hakken quickly turned his head when he heard his lady's voice from behind him. "My lady..."

The dwarf narrowed his eyes on Sollel. "The empire's blacksmithing is nothing but fraud. Fake! Phony!"

"That's slander to the empire," Sollel walked toward Hakken and stood beside him. "You can be executed."

"Hmph!" the dwarf scoffed. "They can execute me all they want, but they could no longer hide the truth." The dwarf clicked his tongue in annoyance. His hate toward the empire was evident. "You humans are so gullible, but that's no surprise. Humans had been oppressing the dwarves because we know the truth! Those humans in the empire can only make those weapons because they have the blood of our queen!"

Sollel's lips parted, startled at what she just heard. She knew how loyal dwarves were; they were the race that would never betray anyone even if it cost them their lives. For them to remember the queen they swore their fealty to after more than a century...Sollel was surprised and moved at the same time.

If she didn't meet Cira, she would've gone to the Dwarven Kingdom to seek shelter before saving Gatria. But she met Cira in Beastrela, and the rest was history.

"Blood...of your queen?" Hakken asked, trying to understand what it meant.

The dwarf was about to explain further when an older dwarf entered the shop from the back to reprimand the young dwarf. "Eld! Shut your mouth!"

Eld, the young dwarf, jumped in fear and immediately shut his mouth. The old dwarf sighed and walked toward Hakken and Sollel. "Please forgive my grandson. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

"But, Grandpa—"

"Silence." The old dwarf narrowed his eyes on Eld, and Eld immediately closed his mouth in fear of his grandfather's anger. Eld knew why his grandfather was being like this; he was just protecting him since humans would use any reason, big or small, to oppress the dwarves and get what they want from their shop for free.

Hakken cleared his throat. "I'm just here to buy new war blades because someone"—he glanced at Sollel—"melted them."

"I didn't mean to," Sollel replied.

The old dwarf glanced at Sollel and frowned. "Melted?"

Hakken nodded and proudly said, "She's a flame sorceress."

Now the old dwarf was looking at Sollel with a stupefied expression. "And her flame melted your weapon? In an instant?"

Again, Hakken nodded proudly. "Yes. My lady is amazing, isn't she?"

The old dwarf smiled and gestured his hands toward the war blades on display. "Please feel free to inspect them as you like. Eld, assist them."

Hakken immediately went to check the war blades on display, while Sollel just watched the old dwarf walked toward the shop's counter. Seeing how occupied Hakken was choosing his new war blades, Sollel subtly walked toward the counter to speak with the old dwarf.

When Sollel reached the counter, she played with the little trinket on display at the counter. "Sir, may I ask you a question?"

The old dwarf instantly showed Sollel his business smile. "Of course, young miss."

Sollel took the fire trinket from the display and put it in her hand. "What your grandson said about your queen's blood being used by the empire...is that true?"

The old dwarf lost his business smile. "Young miss, if you're going to use that reason to exploit our shop—"

"Let's say it's true." Sollel leaned on the counter and looked at the old dwarf. "Are you not going to save your queen?"

The old dwarf lost his hostile expression and sighed, like he had given up. "Against you humans? It's the same as courting death." He looked down, looking ashamed. "We're...outnumbered."

Dwarf procreation had always been low. Even after nearly two centuries, their numbers hadn't grown.

Sollel took a deep breath, seeing the shame and resignation on the old dwarf's face. "What is a master forgeman doing here in Sarnau?" Master forgemen were the Dwarven King's closest aids. Something must have happened for them to leave their domain.

The old dwarf snapped his eye at Sollel. "H-How did..."

"Dwarves are good at forging, but—" Sollel roamed her eyes around the shop and continued, "The quality of the weapons here are top-notch and not all dwarves could forge such weapons."

The old dwarf was ransacking his brain what to say to the woman when the flame sorceress asked a question that made him froze.

"How's King Ruther? Is that old brawny dwarf still alive and being stubborn?"

The old dwarf's eyes widened at Sollel's question; bewilderment was in their depths. "H-how d-did you...know about our king's stubborn nature?"

Sollel straightened her body and slightly pulled back her hood to show her bloodred eyes and hair. "How could I forget the blacksmith who forged my flaming war blades?"

The old dwarf was just standing there, but he lost his footing and fell to the ground when he saw those bloodred eyes and hair and heard those words. His breath became uneven, his heart thundering inside his chest, and he was sweating heavily as he immediately got back on his feet and was ready to prostrate in front of Sollel, but Sollel stopped him from doing so.

"Don't do that," said Sollel. "Talk like how you talked to me earlier."

"B-b-but...b-but..."

"I want you to send a message to your king," Sollel said in a hushed voice.

The old dwarf was still trembling in the presence of their queen. "M-message?"

Sollel nodded and picked up the small bottle made of glass with intricate and beautiful design of flame surrounding it. Without saying a word, she reached out for the knife on the display and used it to cut the tip of her finger.

When Sollel blood started dripping, she used the glass bottle to hold and secure her blood inside before her flames wrapped around her cut and healed it.

Then Sollel put the lid on the glass bottle and placed it on the counter. "Tell your king to forge me a twin war blade with my blood. I trust Ruther with the design and the quality."

After saying that, Sollel left the counter like nothing happened and went back to Hakken who was still looking for the best war blades that suited him.

The old dwarf on the counter picked up the glass bottle with his shaky hands and carefully wrapped it in red cloth. He was scared that he might drop it, so he held it very carefully, like his life depended on it—because it did.

Erar, the old dwarf, looked at the woman wearing a red cloak in reverence. So what our spies told us is true...Queen Sollel, the Mistress of Flame, has escaped her prison.

Erar took a deep breath and carefully gripped the glass bottle in his hand. The king was right to send us in every possible route that the queen might take. I must inform him immediately! 

CECELIB | C.C.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.6K 1.1K 35
With the war against Hybern over, Prythian is finally able to breathe. That is, until four women are brought into a dream where they discover that th...
24.7K 1.4K 53
One year ago, Prythian suffered an attack at the hands of the necromancer, Melantha. She was ultimately defeated, but the marks of her terrible influ...
126K 3.7K 53
A year has passed since Seren Marzena returned to the Night Court with her mate, Azriel. Their time of rest is coming to an end. Plans long kept sile...