Under That Scarf (Editing)

By writewithzainab

Jamila is fresh out of college and is eager for a job. Her passion lies in psychology and social work. She ca... More

Author Note
1. Caramel Macchiato
2. The Prayer
3. The Talk
4. Just Feel
5. Coconut Eton Mess Cake
6. Payment
7. Victor
8. Gratitude
9. Palestine Will Be Free
10. Shocking Revelation
11. Divine Planning
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Thirteen

21K 1K 119
By writewithzainab

A week and three days later, the house is undergoing a massive reconstruction. All the China plates are out, roses are dunked in vases; the living room is being repainted, tables are being polished and visitors flee in and out to give their blessings and advice.

'You must understand Jer-mila, men are strange that way, you know. They need attention, you know, love. You need to be careful, you know. Don't get carried away with all that work, husbands' come first, you know,' exclaims Mrs. Rebecca. Yes, I know, Jamila is slightly irritated that people think she's naïve. Am I that inexperienced? 'Anyway, I must get going dear, lots of work you know; I'll see you at the wedding.'

'Thank you for coming Mrs. Rebecca,' Jamila tries to smile.

'It was no problem dear, tell mummy I left, bye now.' The plump woman leaves with a wave of her hand. Jamila removes her Shaila for the umpteenth time and walks over to Zaid, who's in the kitchen writing down a draft for his upcoming novel.

'Kill me now, please. I'll pay you.' Jamila smacks her head against the dining table. Zaid grins at his sister's open display of annoyance. I both pity you and love this right now. 'No, I'm serious.' Jamila mourns again.

'There, there,' Zaid pats her head mockingly.

'Zaid,' a deadly stare is thrown at him.

'What? You're the one going through an emotional breakdown,' Zaid pushes his spectacles further along his long nose and blinks innocently.

'And you're not making it any better!'

'I'm your brother, I'm not supposed to.'

'I hate you,'

'What do you want me to do? This is how it is, you meet people with different ideas on marriage and they want to share it with you. What's so wrong in that?' He sets his pen down and looks at his sister.

'I want people to trust that I'm doing the right thing. It's annoying when I'm treated like a kid,'

'You are a kid.'

'Not in this context Zaid,' Jamila grits her teeth. You don't understand!!!

'Maybe they're just concerned about the fact that you're still young,'

'I'm 21!' Hands are flailing now, get yourself under control Jam.

'What's your point?' Zaid removes his glasses and frowns at her behavior, is someone nervous? Hmm, this isn't like you J

'My point,' Jamila sighs 'is that I'm a big girl making decisions for myself. I don't want people to doubt me. I know what I'm doing.' Zaid doesn't say a word.

'You're anxious. You're afraid but you won't admit it.' Jamila sighs and winces at the sound of what he says.

'That's probably it,' she sips her water thoughtfully. 'You should've taken up psychology.'

'A simple observation doesn't require extensive studying on the topic. But thank you.' He begins writing again.

'I am doing the right thing. Right?' Jamila stares at her brother hoping for more vexing wisdom.

'What do you mean?' He continues writing.

'Harun is a good choice right? As in, he's religious and caring so I've chosen someone who definitely has his principles and values intact; so I'm not making a huge mistake. Right?' I'm rambling! Stop Jam.

'Are you looking for reassurance on my part?' Zaid's mind involuntarily races through what he saw almost two weeks ago. That nurse practically claiming that she wants him. Harun, couldn't you avoid her enough? I can't blame him completely; I mean they work together. Ugh, the guilt.

'Yes,' Zaid nods and takes in a deep breath. The urge to confess what he saw reaches its peak but he stops himself.

'Harun is a great guy. It's quite obvious that he likes you and I can't imagine him treating you any less than you deserve. However, be careful; this is a big responsibility. Make sure you give him his rights and that you're given yours. That way both of you will remain loyal and loving to each other.' Zaid smiles at his sister. Yeah, I'm intellectually romantic. Some husband I'll be.

'Thank you.' Jamila gives her brother a one sided hug. 'I knew you'd tell me the truth. May Allah accept your duas.'

'Aameen.' Zaid whispers and stares at his sister's retreating figure. He feels upset now. Harun better not mess up again or Walla I'll ruin him.

Today is The Day. Jamila's eyes snap open at the thought, she checks her phone and the time reads 4:30am. I'm getting married today. Oh my God. She sits up against her bed set and ponders over this fact for a while. A smile makes its way across her sleepy face and she lets out a giggle at the thought of being with the only person she's ever had such strong feelings for- Harun. Ah, wudhu. Refreshing. Jamila performs her wudhu with ease and glances at her reflection. Her curls are tied back and her eyes are wide, they look alert. I'm ready for this. She puts on an Abaya, drapes a scarf in record time and begins her prayer. Tahajjud, Fajr Sunnah and Fajr. Jamila prays in the dark, once she's done she sits and stares into the blackness of her room. Not a hum is heard, she feels so happy. Content. This is how it should be. The silence is empowering. SubhanAllah!

She calls upon her Lord, with; love, fear and conviction. You are my Lord, You can Hear me, See me, Protect me, Provide for me, Honor me, Guard me, Guide me and Forgive me. You Alone are Perfect, You Alone know my worries and troubles so Help me. Grant me from your limitless Bounty. I'm starting a new life today by Your Will, I'm completing half of my faith by Your Will and I want Your Mercy. I seek to earn Your Pleasure through this, my Lord. Pardon my shortcomings, alleviate my burdens and grant me ease. This man, I chose is because he appears to fear You, he chose a profession to serve in Your way and he respects the people who You chose to raise him. Make him a reminder to me of what my purpose in life is. Keep us united, form love, honesty, loyalty and purity in our connection. Bestow upon us the ability to enter Your Masterpiece- Jannah. Aameen.

A few tears spring down Jamila's cheek; the sweetness of faith entering her sin filled heart, cleansing and purifying her. She feels a replacement of her pride with humility, her selfishness with generosity, her weakness with strength, her jealousy with appreciation and her inability with power. This drives her to recite His Noble Book. She picks up the Qur'an and turns to the Surah she read yesterday, Surah Tur. She begins reciting aloud, in a medium pace and rhythmic tune. She completes the chapter and feels bliss. AlhamdhuliAllah. She checks the time again and now its 5:45am, everyone should be awake now. Jamila strolls downstairs and decides to make a cup of coffee. Qahowa Arabiya. She tosses in the coffee beans, cardamom, cloves and saffron. Where is the rosewater? Mamma where do you keep these stuff?! Just then Aminah walks in, Shaila on her head and prayer beads in her hand. Her stare is amplified by Jamila's expression. There's a glow to her face, hmm. Something is up.

'Ma thaf'al Jamila?'(What are you doing Jamila?) Aminah leans against the counter where Jamila is pouring hot coffee into golden mugs.

'Making coffee mama, want some?' Jamila grins at her mother. She places a mug before her and takes a sip of her own coffee. She sighs, I need to have this more often.

'Hal antha bikhair?' (Are you okay?) Aminah frowns at her daughter, do I need to perform Ruqya on her? Jamila chuckles and shakes her head.

'Can't I be happy?'

'Of course binthi! But you're a bit strange today,' Aminah pats Jamila's shoulder. Blunt as ever mother, good job. 'I thought you'd be nervous,' she eyes her peculiarly and drinks her coffee.

'I am a little but I'm more excited,'

'Alhamdulillah,' Aminah squeezes her daughter's cheek in admiration. The front door slams open and in walks the three men of the household.

'Salam Alaikum!' Abdullah shouts as if everyone is asleep. Jamila rolls her eyes and responds anyway. 'Ooh what's this?' He looks at the mugs on the counter. 'Nice. Who made it?' He grabs one and gulps it down.

'Me,'

'Ajlasa! Waqaha,' (Sit down! Shameless) Aminah pinches his arm. Abdullah winces and takes the nearest seat; Jamila chuckles at this.

'Serves you right,' Zaid takes a mug and his father follows.

'Ya habba, it's so early. Don't shout.' Ahmed kisses his wife and daughter on the forehead and takes his coffee to the living room. Aminah ignores him and hunts for the broom to begin her housework.

'So, today's the big day huh,' Abdullah starts.

'It is,' Jamila nods with a smile. Clearly you're happy about leaving us.

'I want to ask you something,'

'Okay, go ahead,'

'How are you coping?'

'I don't understand,'

'How do you feel? I mean you do realize that you're not going to be living here anymore.'

'Yes but I feel fine?' Where are you going with this bro...

'So you're not an emotional wreck?' Abdullah asks very cautiously.

'No!,' Jamila smacks his arm in annoyance. Abdullah grins and sticks his tongue out at Zaid who laughs at him.

'Mature,' Zaid grimaces.

'Abdullah get ready for work, Zaid go study and Jamila wash up, Aaliyah, Insiyah and Mari Khala are coming to go to the spa with us.' Aminah grabs the mugs from the counter and dumps them in the sink.

'Ma I'm not a kid,' Abdullah whines.

'Yeah and I don't study, I write,' Zaid feels offended at his mother's statement.

'We're going to the spa?' Jamila frowns. The three of us have our own issues, it's in the blood. I'm so fortunate.

'Just go!' The boys don't say another word, they know better than to push her limits. 'Yes binthi, we want you to enjoy your last day in this house.' Aminah is suddenly emotional.

'Mamma...'

'No, no. I'm not upset with you; don't think that for a minute. Ana habbuk (I love you) and I want you to be happy but I just want you to enjoy this day with us.' Aminah wipes her hands with a towel and smiles at her daughter. Aw, mama cool it. I won't stay with his parents all the time.

'Okay. What time is the Nikah?' Yes, I know. I'm unaware of what time I'll officially be a wife. Sue me. Aminah purses her lips and shakes her head.

'It's after Isha Salah insha Allah which will be around 8:30 and then everyone will come here for dinner. Clear?'

'Crystal,' Jamila gives her a flying kiss and saunters upstairs to get ready.

Jamila, Insiyah and Aaliyah are laughing their heads' off. Quite literally actually, they're leaning on one another for support. They had gone to the spa and Jamila was pampered to the core. Whilst everyone got a simple foot massage, Jamila had gotten a facial, a wax, a head massage and a foot massage. She has never felt so rejuvenated in her life. After that little surprise of heaven, Insiyah insisted they go for lunch. Her persistence lead to her reversing the car over a mud puddle and that splashed over Aminah and Maryam. Needless to say the women were furious.

'Ablah! You deserve a slap,' Maryam's face is red.

'Na'am! Man layya jadha!' (Yes! From me too!) Aminah although thoroughly vexed can't deny that the situation they're in is humorous. The two of them are holding they're Abayas'- now brown and muddy-above their ankles.

'This was brand new,' Maryam continues to scold.

'Mama, you were standing right behind, what was I supposed to do?'

'Stop blaming me it's your fault!'

'Okay okay! Sorry! Shall we just go?' Insiyah covers her face at the stares she gets from people passing by. Jamila and Aaliyah are having a field day with this one, ya Insi what have you done? Best day ever! I swear.

'No let's stay, I'm not hungry anymore,' Aaliyah throws in. Insiyah glares at her sister, I want to kill you right now Walla.

'Let's go, it's already 2 o'clock and we have to be home before Asr,' Jamila sobers up.

'Yes. I need to get the things ready as well. Come.' Aminah walks determinedly to the car. Everyone follows suit, Insiyah drives to a Turkish restaurant. The ladies order to their choices and chat away till their food is ready. Maryam and Aminah are sucked up in a conversation about bridal dresses; Insiyah and Aaliyah are drilling Jamila about her state of mind. Yes, literally.

'How can you not be scared?' Insiyah is smacks the table lightly.

'I'm just not,' Jamila doesn't know what other excuse to give.

'So what do you feel?'

'Happy,'

'More like thrilled,' Aaliyah comments with a wink.

'Ugh, but this is so unlike you,' Jamila sighs at Insiyah, what are you expecting? Tears and screams? Nuh-uh! 'You do realize you're getting married right. You're going to live with another man, eat with another man and sleep with another man.' At the last few words, Jamila feels blood swim to her tan cheeks. Well now that you mention it...

'Oh my God she's blushing! Look!' Aaliyah squeals, clapping her hands at the same time.

'Ha! I bet you didn't even think about it till now,' Spot on Insi! 'You're too innocent honestly.'

'Okay enough please,' Jamila covers her face.

'But no! I want to talk about this. How come you've never thought about it?' Insiyah asks so bluntly.

'Because it's not... it isn't what I... I don't know!' Why do I always get caught to this? People are such bullies I swear.

'Oh come on, you are attracted to him right?'

'Yes,'

'Then, don't tell me you've not thought about him like that,' Insiyah raises her eyebrow.

'Insi Walla I want to smack you right now,' Aaliyah begins laughing at that.

'I'm just trying to help,'

'I'll bet,'

'On a more serious note, remember it's a big deal to them. Considering that he's waited so long to simply get married to you, I can't imagine the battle to keep all that... energy at bay.' Insiyah gobbles her last kebab and requests for the bill.

'Do you want a glass of water?'

'Don't move I'm moussing your hair!

'Oi, look here I'm taking a selfie.'

'No checking your phone Jamila!'

'Be patient.'

Everybody is driving me insane! No one can handle the fact that I'm looking forward to meeting Harun, no one can understand that I'm so calm; no one can believe that I'm not panicking or causing havoc. Seriously no one has faith in me! Keep making Dua, be patient and you'll see the results. Yeah, kinda hard to do when this room filled with women who keep saying or asking you things that you want NO part of. Jamila's phone vibrates again, what if it's Zaid! Ugh my hand's itching to check. She's standing in front of her mirror and her phone is on the dressing table. Insiyah is curling her hair and if she budges even a little bit, the woman will scream her head off. Her mother had told her to stop using her phone to get updates.

I asked Zaid to tell me when they'd be signing the papers. I don't know why I have this urge to know for sure when I'd be married but I do. I'm so weird. Jamila sighs and plays with her fingers, she's beyond tempted to check her messages.

'There, done! Ta-da!' Insiyah steps back and grins at her cousin. Jamila looks at her reflection and can't help but smile. She looks good; her natural curls are even curlier, her eyes look brighter and bigger and her cheekbones are well defined. You are stunning Jami.

'Great job! Thank you, I look... awesome.' Jamila sighs and puts her hands on her hips.

'I know right! Everyone look at our bride.' Insiyah points at her cousin. Aminah, Khala Maryam, Aaliyah and Rumana compliment her. Aminah even tears up a little bit, this makes Jamila slightly emotional too.

'Right, shall we go downstairs then? The men will get here soon and I must set the food on the table. Maryam, Insiyah and Aaliyah Tu'aalu mu'ayy (Come with me) and Rumana you stay here and keep Jamila company okay habibti?' Aminah pats her daughter's cheek and winks at Rumana.

'Sure, aunty.' Rumana grins in response. Everyone leaves except Rumana and the room is suddenly very quiet. 'Boy, you must be relieved.'

'You have no idea.' Jamila sighs.

'Weren't you like dying to check your WhatsApp?'

'Oh yes!' Jamila whirls around and unlocks her phone. She sees a message from Zaid, her heart starts to pick up pace for some reason.

We're on our way home. Oh my God.

'I give you my daughter in my guardianship in marriage in accordance to the Islamic Sharia in the presence of the witnesses here with the Maher agreed upon. And Allah is our best witness.' Ahmed's voice is loud and sharp. The Majid is so quiet you can almost hear people breathing. Calm down Harun, just stay calm. You were fine all this time. Come on bud, you can do it. The Imam then turns to Harun and tells him what to say.

'I accept marrying your daughter giving her name to myself in accordance to the Islamic Sharia in the presence of the witnesses here with the dowry agreed upon. And Allah is our best witness.' Harun says with confidence. Yes, yes almost done! I wonder what she's doing. Gosh I can't wait to see her. Everyone's shouting Takbeer for some reason, I don't remember them doing this for Samir. Harun is smiling widely.

'Right, just sign here and the Wali also,' the Imam continues. After that's done everyone begins congratulating Harun. Zaid and Abdullah are the last because they're taking him home.

'Well brother- in- law you seem happy,' Zaid walks beside Harun.

'I am happy,' Harun walks to the car eagerly. 'Hurry up!'

'Alright, hold on.' Zaid unlocks the door and Harun climbs in excitedly. When was the last time I actually looked forward to doing something? I lead such a boring life. I need to change that.

'Someone's in an obvious rush,' Abdullah rolls his eyes.

'You'll feel the same son, one day.' Ahmed smirks at Harun knowingly. As a father he's surprisingly laid back and easy going. He protects his daughter but trusts her enough that she won't ever do something that would betray his trust. Boys, like Harun also know better than to mess with her because they'd have three grown men to answer to; who by the way can be very intimidating.

'Yeah sure.' Abdullah begins driving and Zaid is in the backseat with Harun texting on his phone.

'Is it Jamila?' Harun whispers. Zaid grins wickedly and nods. 'What are you telling her?' He leans in.

'That we're coming home.' Zaid shows him the screen.

'Good.' Harun returns to his position. Let her prepare for me.

As Harun enters the house he's hugged and grabbed by his family members'. What the... This isn't how he wants things to go. Hafsa, Ramla, Ruqaiya and Aminah rush to him with excitement. Zaid and Abdullah notice his discomfort and laugh at him wickedly. Aminah chases all the men outside where tables have been arranged for them to dine, the women will be inside the house. Harun is tugged in different directions but fortunately for him, Hafsa grabs his arm in the direction of the stairs.

'Mamma, I will take Harun to meet Jamila. I'm sure the guests can wait a little bit longer.' Hafsa is straightforward. Ruqaiya looks at Aminah for confirmation; she nods at her. Hafsa grins and takes Harun upstairs.

'Where is she?' Harun asks slightly nervous now. Breathe, breathe, breathe.

'In her room.' Hafsa smirks and directs him to the right.

'Oh God,' he scratches his beard and licks his lips.

'Wait here.' Hafsa stops a few feet away from the room. She then knocks on the door and peeks in, he can hear her mutter a few things and in less than a minute another girl appears outside. He looks at Hafsa who follows her.

'You can go in.' Hafsa grins, 'don't take too long okay?' with one last smirk she leaves. Harun walks in slowly, his eyes on the ground as she shuts the door behind him. He raises his eyes and sees a train of white material; he follows it to the person who's wearing it. Her.

Jamila turns at the sound and finds an impeccably dressed man staring at her in awe. She smiles at his expression and opens her mouth to say something but stops. What do I want to say? You look amazing? Cliché much J? My thoughts rhyme!

'Say it,' Harun whispers. He's in a suit and tie, a few curls cover his eyebrow, his eyes are lust filled and his lips twist into a beautiful smile. He's standing in front of Jamila's room door and she's beside the window.

Jamila shakes her head and grins at him. She's wearing a white floor length, figure hugging dress, Square neckline, long sleeves, and curls bouncing over her shoulders. Simple and elegant as she wanted. His beard is so neat, I want to touch it. Harun walks closer; his tall physique almost floats to Jamila. She swallows hard and stares mesmerized at the charm of this man. He is now an inch away from her, his breaths are deep and short. If you could only see yourself through my eyes.

They stare into each other's eyes. No restriction, no barriers, no fear of punishment. Just looking; Harun clenches his jaw and Jamila's gaze roams around his face. Jamila wants to close the gap between them but stops when Harun raises his hand, with his index finger he touches her cheek, as if he's scared she'll break. Her breath is caught in her throat, his finger trails down her cheek to her lips and then drops to his side. Jamila craves his touch again, she boldly takes a step forward, they are now chest to chest, and she raises her head to look at him. Jamila, what have you done?

'You're my wife,' Harun's voice is hoarse.

'And you're my husband.' He grins at her response; it reassures him in some way. Grab her waist; hold her hand, oh its cold. Tilt her chin and kiss her! Harun does exactly what he plans. Jamila is frozen for a few seconds but then leans into him. AlhamdhuliAllah.

Salam Alaikum everyone! I FINALLY completed the chapter that I'm sure most of you have been wating for. They are offcially married :D haha I'm so happy. I know I took forever to finish this chapter but I wanted it to be perfect, so I hope it was worth it. Eeep next chapter will be awesome iA. Oh and I've included the meanings of the arabic words, for those who don't understand :) Please vote, comment and share!! <3 Peace- Zai x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.9K 3.4K 25
"You should give up on me" he said with his misty eyes. I heavily sighed "I'd bear be your something but I won't bear be your nothing" Mahnoor is a...
502K 30.4K 46
Highest ranking, #1 in spiritual ( 10/7/2016 ) until ( 5/ 9/ 2016 ). How can you fix something that's already been broken, several times? I a...
10K 742 18
"I can't marry you," the words slipped out of her mouth, paining her in the process. "Why?" He questioned, "Feiha, you know how I feel for you and I...
220K 13.6K 48
Most impressive ranking till date, #1 in spiritual out of 26.7k stories Date: 7/01/2021 ---- A muslim love story- "𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒂 𝒉𝒂𝒃𝒊𝒕 𝒇𝒓𝒐...