The Herbology Assistant

By LexiMac22

Clarice Bates is just your average witch, at least that's how she sees herself. She finds herself a new posit... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
The Letter
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
πŸ‹Chapter Twenty NineπŸ‹
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
πŸ‹ Chapter Thirty Seven πŸ‹
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
πŸ‹ Chapter Sixty Seven πŸ‹
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty

Chapter Forty Four

3.8K 154 5
By LexiMac22

"Where have you been running off to these last few nights?" Severus finally asked her one morning. Clarice had been leaving the chambers at midnight every night to spend time with her new found gift in the astronomy tower. She normally didn't return until about 3am or even 4am at times. 

She was so engrossed in uncovering memories from her loved ones and the fates of her friends. The only person she had been putting off was Severus, not wanting to know all of his secrets and where his fate lay. She wanted to pretend she had the rest of their lives ahead of them even though she had a feeling there was something... or someone that would put a damper into that dream. 

She looked up to the man that had asked her a question she wasn't sure if she wanted to tell the truth about. At least not yet that is. 

"I'll tell you later." She decided as she set down his cup of tea on the table and placed a peck on his cheek. 

"What was that for?" He asked while quirking an eyebrow. 

"Happy Birthday love," She smiled at him. 

"No need to remind me." He grumbled while placing the Daily Prophet on the table to pick up his cup of tea. It was just another day, they had to get ready for classes shortly so Clarice rummaged through her closet to find an outfit. 

"I have nothing to wear." She muttered. 

"You have more than fifty things you could wear in that enchanted closet of yours." She heard Severus say from behind her which caused her to jump. "Or... you could just simply... not wear anything."

Clarice blushed severely as he tickled her neck in light pecks. 

"Sev, come on. We're going to be late for breakfast." She said after finally picking out a gray dress and her yellow cloak. 

"No. Absolutely not. You are not wearing that dreadful cape on my birthday. It is my only wish." He groaned. Clarice rolled her eyes at the man and hung it back up. She decided on the forest green one that represented Slytherin colors. 

"Now that is more like it." He smiled at her before kissing her nose and leaving so she could get changed in peace. 

The pair made their way into the great hall, several staff and students wished the man a happy birthday, which only made him more cranky. Clarice spent her first half of the day with Sprout and Hagrid, but was honestly dreading her classes with Severus. He had been so cranky at lunch, she was positive he was going to be even worse in class. 

Deciding it would be best if she stopped in the kitchens for some coffee, she was surprised to see Albus in there.

"Clarice! I was hoping I would get away with sneaking a few sweets from here without being noticed. I have failed." He chuckled while popping a chocolate into his mouth.

"Albus... I've actually been meaning to speak with you..." She trailed off not wanting to be late to her class, but she also hadn't been able to speak privately with the headmaster since the holiday.

"What's troubling you my dear?" He asked while looking above his half moon spectacles.

"You actually." She paused as he lifted an eyebrow.

"I've been using your gift you gave me." She said and he sighed. Knowing what she had possibly seen and what was likely going to come out of her mouth next.

"Continue."

"Well... I guess I'll just say it. You're going to find a ring. Marvolo Gaunts ring... it carries the resurrection stone upon it." She spoke as she made her coffee and then another for Severus.

"You can't be tempted to wear it. No matter how badly you want to apologize to your family for your selfishness." She turned around to speak to him eye to eye. "Promise me you won't dare touch that bloody thing."

"Alright Clarice. I won't. But what's the meaning behind all of this?" He questioned.

"Do you really have to ask?" She asked while clutching the mugs to her chest.

"I suppose I could take a wild guess... What is the ring?" He asked.

"I haven't figured it out yet. I know I will eventually, it's just missing something or someone or a memory has been tampered with. I can't piece it all together." She spoke.

"You will, dear. And when you do, I'll be waiting. Was there anything else?"

"Yes... why didn't you tell me you knew my mother?" She asked him.

"Another time, Clarice. I believe you're late to your potions lesson." He winked at the witch while opening the door for the both of them to leave in opposite directions. Clarice made her way into the potions room and as she creaked the door, the whole class whipped their heads around to see what student dared to come in late and let out a breath of relief when they saw it was only Professor Bates.

"You're late." Severus drew out in his monotone voice.

"And I brought you coffee." She said sweetly while placing it on his desk.  She saw a light flicker in his eyes, but they turned cold when he went to address the class.

"You may begin." He said and the students scrambled to collect their ingredients. Severus informed her they were brewing a wideye potion which Clarice nodded and began helping the students who seemed to be struggling.

"Nicely done Draco," She said quietly as he looked to her for approval which caused him to smirk. Everyone in the class was actually doing better than anticipated and Clarice decided it was time to have a bit of fun.

She sat down at her desk to the side and Severus eyed her suspiciously, but continued grading his papers. Gregory Goyle raised his hand, but Clarice did not get up; instead she pretended to be too engrossed in her papers in front of her. She heard Severus sigh and then the sound of his chair scrape against the cold stone floor as he strode between the desks. She saw Goyle glance in her direction quickly, hoping that she was going to be the one to help him. 

As Severus was busy helping the boy, she waved her hand and without a sound, his once black robes were a brilliant vibrant yellow. He didn't even notice. As the students looked at her with snickering lips, she put a single finger to her lips to silence them. 

Gathering her papers, Clarice stood up which caught the eye of the potions professor. She had a giant smile plastered on her beautiful face and he wondered what she was up to... until he noticed. 

"What on- Clarice!" His voice boomed, but he was too late. For when he looked back to the woman, all he could see was her green cloak leaving the room and the door shut. 

"Class dismissed!" He shouted as he chased after her, his yellow cloak billowing behind him. Although dismissed, the class remained seated, mouths open in disbelief that they had just witnessed two things. Severus Snape in yellow... and Severus Snape running.

Clarice was ahead of him by a single flight of stairs when she began to get out of breath. She cursed herself for not working out more; Severus was gaining on her and his cape was still a vibrant hue of sunshine.

"Claire!" He called out, causing her to stop and turn around right into the man. She looked him up and down and bursted out laughing before apparating to the bottom of the staircase Severus had just climbed. Her face represented amusement and pure horror. Severus' the same.

"I didn't mean to do that." She said as he raced back down the stairs.

"How the hell are you able do that?" He looked at her wearily. "Besides, you shouldn't be apparating while pregnant. It's dangerous. Did you know that?"

She shook her head. She had not known. He cupped her cheeks.

"Read those books Poppy gave you. They're full of useful information." He said and she smiled... he's been reading books to inform himself and protect her. Her smile grew even larger when she remembered he was currently wearing her favorite color.

"I told you I'd get you in yellow one of these days!" She choked on her own laughter.

"You made me look like a fool back there." He muttered. 

"No... I think you look devilishly handsome in this color." She said while grabbing his robes. He wen to turn them back to black, but they wouldn't give. 

"Damn you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.1K 3K 42
After coming to terms with her past, Ms Sofia Greene chooses to develop a stable career at Hogwarts. For over 4 years, she was known as one of the mo...
2K 107 40
Severus Snape seems to have changed since you saw him previously. Albeit, you were a student the last time you found yourself at Hogwarts. Returning...
55.6K 2.1K 32
Emma Moore, professor in Healing at Hogwarts, has to suppress her feelings for her old best friend and now colleague Severus Snape, who she hasn't se...
254K 7.9K 56
Y/N Y/L/N is a shy, quiet, smart and hard-working girl who is sorted into Slytherin. Her father, Y/F/N Y/L/N, is keeping a secret from his own daught...