The Darling of the gods

By Aliatra851

Living in a hell hole for the second time had been rough. To survive as someone else entirely, Cale Henituse... More

[Disclaimer]
Prologue
Chapter 1: Silent Suffering (pt.1)
Chapter 2: Silent Suffering (pt.2)
Chapter 4: A Gift From the Gods (pt.1)
Chapter 5: A Gift From the Gods (pt.2)

Chapter 3: A Complete Turn of Life

9.5K 489 229
By Aliatra851

A/N: it's a triple update today btw. 3,4,5 ch are out! (1/3)

At the age of seven, Cale went together with his mother to a certain village in their territory. Cale was quite confused about their trip but knowing his mother, she probably wanted to maintain a close observation at this village.

Because of its unique location, this village wasn't that big and its people were few in numbers. It was located near one of the Five Forbidden Regions in the Western continent, the Forest of Darkness.

Harris village was the name of this place.

Jour approached Cale and rubbed his hair affectionately while smiling softly at him, reminding him in a gentle yet stern tone.

"Cale, you can do whatever you want. I will be having a little talk with the chief for a little bit. Please be careful and don't get into any trouble."

Cale nodded obediently before running off to somewhere. Jour watched him and noticed how he staggered a bit as he tried to lean on one of the walls, she smiled bitterly as she turned around knowing that she can't really do much.

However, she threatened under her breath, completely aware about how there was someone always observing her child.

"You better wait... One day, you will pay the price for my child's suffering with your pitiful godhoods being shattered to pieces.."

Adjusting her expression again, Jour headed to the chief of the village. She was planning to ask him about the village condition and terrains as she started to put her plans in action.

Meanwhile with Cale–

Cale bit his lips to prevent himself from groaning in pain as he staggered towards the small forest around Harris village, cold sweat dripping from his forehead as he leaned on a tree trunk to support his falling body.

Since the age of five, Cale hid his pain and dealt with all of this suffering alone. Fortunately, the pain levels varied from a bearable pain to an excruciating pain that was able to take his breath away.

"Ughh... "

Finally far away from anyone who was watching, Cale let go of his groans while trembling from the pain. The pain was getting too much for him and he was starting to get worried.

'Shit... How am I supposed to deal with it if I faint?'

Cale started to ponder over the possibility of him fainting. He didn't plan for the pain to be this strong nor had he prepared an explanation for his mother in case he passed out and she discovered his unconscious body here.

It was his fault for the lack of preparation, however, it wasn't like he can re-judge himself and sort all the things he had done his whole life as smart or stupid now–

Not at this fucked up moment at least.

While Cale was cursing and fighting with his consciousness and pain, he noticed a strange plop of white from the corner of his eyes.

The white thing walked slowly towards him, prompting Cale to look at it closer and realize that this white furry creature is actually a fox.

The White Fox looked kind of majestic in Cale's eyes, and Cale was able to recognize a faint arrogance in its supposedly expressionless face. It approached him very slowly until it was in front of his face.

A White Fox with some red fur at the tips of its ears and tail, red eyes shining with some restrained emotions.

After staring at each other for quite some time, Cale finally heard a faint sigh as the fox put its paw against his forehead.

"What the–"

–As he questioned in shock, he was able to feel the pain in his body reducing starting from the spot under the Fox's paw, little by little, until the pain was even lesser than the amount of pain he was used to living with.

"Another extra job. Despite that, the orders are absolute so I can't really complain."

Hearing a seemingly emotionless voice, Cale was ready to jump from this place as he realized that the Fox was the one who was talking.

However, the fox merely glanced at his pathetic attempt and watched him as he fell to his knees again.

"Cale Henituse. I admire your fast reaction, however, your body cannot maintain the same amount of movement after suffering from such a severe pain attack. You are supposed to be aware of these little things in order for you to be able to protect yourself, relying on your fast reflexes and nothing else will only lead you to your doom."

The Fox reprimanded Cale while observing around his body, noting his strength points and weaknesses.

The order was to 'help' Cale Henituse. The Fox never got an order that prevented it from stating some facts like these.

It didn't get a clear order about the way of protection as well. And in all honesty, it didn't care that much at first. This was just a mere human who was somehow favored by all the gods.

Recalling this made the fox frown with disdain.

Gods' attention was a temporary thing, as long as this child doesn't do something that will keep the gods' eyes on him, he'll probably have to deal with all this pain alone.

However, the White Fox knew about the gods more than anyone else and knew that some of them are also quite stubborn and unreasonable although they were still gods. He knew that there must be something more than what he was seeing.

The White Fox didn't hold any specific emotions towards Cale. This child in front of him was only a miserable child who needed someone to help him to survive through a curse that had nothing to do with him in reality.

Or at least that was what he knew.

His goddess was willing to sacrifice some of her life force just to send him to help this child, which made the white fox sigh internally. He knew too well how that goddess was determined to protect this child at all cost.

As her loyal butler, he wasn't willing to let her go as far as giving her life for him. And thus, he liked the order he got so much.

[Protect Cale Henituse and help him to survive through the pain]

"The name is Kora. Remember it, Cale. The next time we meet I will make sure to get you a present."

With that sentence that was a foreshadowing to another encounter, the White Fox, Kora, suddenly disappeared from his place. Only leaving some snow as the place's temperature dropped several degrees.

The redhead was left completely stunned throughout this whole encounter, not being able to utter any sound. He then just stood up with a blank face as he pinched his arm.

"Ow-! So.. It's not a dream."

Deadpanning to himself, Cale just headed towards the village again with one thought in his mind.

'I just met a divine beast.... '

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

One year later, Cale felt as if his world turned upside down without any warning.

It all started with his mother going to visit Harris village. His mother started to visit Harris village regularly since that time he met with that divine beast.

Don't get it wrong, it has nothing to do with the divine beast as Jour didn't even know about that encounter and Kora didn't come to see him during this whole year.

Cale wasn't aware of the reason and whenever he asked, his mother would just change the topic to avoid answering him until Cale himself gave up on this.

Cale was studying in his room, next to him was his personal butler, Ron Molan.

Ron Molan was in his sixties, a man that the Countess Jour found 2 years ago and brought him along with his son to the residence.

—Bang!

Suddenly the door was slammed open as a servant rushed in panting for breath. Ron glanced at the servant with cold eyes that sent shivers down his spine as Cale only frowned while questioning calmly.

"Is there any proper reason that can explain why you barged into my room?"

"That.. That.. The thing is.."

The servant stammered under the cold eyes he was receiving but he still needed to do what he came here for.

"The Countess' carriage had an accident on the way back from Harris village!"

As soon as he heard it, Cale rushed outside his room with Ron following him after asking the servant about the Countess' whereabouts.

'What the fuck– that can't happen. There is nothing that should make my mother get herself in danger.'

Cale knew a little about his mother's ability and knew it was somehow related to the future. His mother always warned him whenever something bad was going to happen and always avoided any danger herself as well.

If she knew something was going to happen during this trip, she wouldn't go at all. And that's why Cale didn't want to believe it.

However, he could not deny it anymore as Ron guided him to his parents' room where he stared at his mother's figure.

Laying on the bed with a haggard face, his mother waved her hand softly asking him to come closer.

Cale walked shakily towards his mother and held her trembling hand, pressing his cheek at her palm.

"Mother...."

The other servants stayed wisely quiet after receiving a look from Ron, allowing the two to have their moment.

Jour rubbed her son's cheek weakly and smiled fondly at him. Her hard work for these years would be finally put to an end, however, that meant putting an end to her own life.

Finally reaching this point, she started to wonder if there was another way as she looked at Cale's pained expression.

But at the end of it, she knew she did this all for him as well. It was the only way to free her child from his dark fate.

"Cale... Listen to your mother carefully..."

Hearing the weak voice of his mother, Cale could only swallow all his confusion and questions as he nodded, telling her that he would listen.

"What happened to me.. was inevitable. I did few things in the past years... and doing all of it was.. my own decision. No one... forced me to do it nor was it anyone else's fault..."

Giving a final weak smile, she whispered.

"You will end this curse one day.. Until then, you should live the life you wish for..."

With that, Jour Thames life ended with a smile on her lips.

'Please... Don't leave me...'

Unable to think of anything else aside from this useless plea, Cale stared blankly at the hand that was just rubbing his cheek a minute ago.

Words count: around 1800

꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊˚꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊˚꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊˚꒷︶꒷꒥꒷‧₊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.4K 1.4K 41
Maenya Targaryen. Born in 96 AC, The first child of Aemma and Viserys Targaryen, All seemed well, Maenya was "The gem of the Kingdoms" her younger si...
71.5K 1.8K 79
an eighteen-year-old boy, trying his best to save his ass from being whipped by his soon-to-be husband, and at the same time, he wants to get away wi...
65K 4.8K 56
In their previous life, taehyung had been overweight. His face was covered in acne. Yet jungkook still forcefully ate him up. Exactly how much did h...
20.6K 39 10
baca ajaa, terserah. ga suka ga usah dibacaa Tapi jangan lupa vote. Boleh request mau yg gimna, komen ajaaaa Siapa tau ada yang pengin request bisa c...