Too Afraid To Say Goodbye

By Mx_Amabilis

During the night when Shiryu got his eye surgery, Seiya and Shiryu reflect on what their uncertain future has... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 1

98 3 0
By Mx_Amabilis

Ever since Shiryu left the surgical room, the day stood at a standstill.

Seiya was having great difficulty processing the team's reconnaissance to Greece. As soon as he was set free from being turned to stone, he realized that Shiryu blinded himself in order to save him and Shun. When he first learned about Shiryu's sacrifice, Seiya was overwhelmed by a wave of guilt. Although hours had passed since then, Seiya's feelings remained the same.

Sitting at Shiryu's bedside, Seiya reached his hand out and firmly held Shiryu's hand. He turned down his head and glanced at Shiryu's face. Shiryu was breathing lightly as he was still asleep from the anesthetic. While looking at his face, Seiya noticed that his blank expression had not changed since Shiryu underwent surgery. Seeing Shiryu in this dull state was emotionally painful for Seiya. It was as if his heart sensed Shiryu's sorrow.

Seiya sighed and started stroking Shiryu's hand gently. Although Seiya was unable to speak to Shiryu, he hoped he could at least console him with warmth. Seiya remembered the moments were Shiryu would comfort him during difficult times, by showing some kind of physical affection. He felt drawn to return the same kind of love Shiryu gave him. Suddenly, Seiya's eyes began to water.

Shiryu, I'm sorry that you made this sacrifice for us... You're always putting your life on the line for me, so I can live on... Somehow, I'll make it up to you... I swear!

Suddenly, Shun entered the hospital room. When he saw Seiya holding Shiryu's hand, Shun had a concerned look on his face. He took a deep breath and spoke.

"Seiya, I'm sorry for interrupting, but the hospital is closing its visiting hours soon... We need to go back home for the night."

Seiya gasped as he felt himself returning to reality. He glanced at the clock and sighed as he noticed that it was almost 11 pm. Looking back at Shun, he gave a slow nod.

"It's okay Shun, no need to worry... I just need to stay here for a minute. I'll meet you at the lobby."

"Alright, Seiya. I'll go back and tell the others," replied Shun.

"Sounds good. Thanks, Shun."

Soon afterward, Shun left the room. Seiya glanced at Shiryu, while still holding Shiryu's hand. Seiya bowed his head down while closing his eyes.

"Shiryu, I'm going home now. I'll be back as soon as I can..."

Feeling hesitant to leave, Seiya gently let go of Shiryu's hand. He got up from his chair and stretched his arms. He must have been sitting on that chair for hours. Before Seiya left Shiryu's room, Seiya turned back to Shiryu with a sullen expression.

I know things will get better in the end. We faced many hardships before... Stay strong, Shiryu...

Shun and Hyoga were sitting next to each other on a bench, waiting for Seiya in the lobby. Shun sat there quietly, leaning down, placing his fingertips against each other, while Hyoga sat there with his arms crossed. Sympathetic about Shun's grief, Hyoga turned his attention towards Shun and the silence.

"Shun, I know you and I are both wondering why Seiya hasn't shown up yet. Don't worry; Seiya will meet with us eventually. Time management was never his strong suit." Hyoga said with a light sigh.

Shun nodded, yet his expression remained somber.

"I know, but something else has been bothering me, Hyoga... I'm worried about how this is going to affect all of us. When I went to Shiryu's room to tell Seiya about the hospital closing its visiting hours, I saw just how distraught Seiya was about Shiryu's condition...."

Shun took a deep breath and glanced up at Hyoga.

"Seeing Seiya like this made me realize that even if Shiryu were to return, this situation is going be hard on all of us..."

Hyoga stood up from the bench with his head low and with a sorrowful gaze.

"You're right, Shun, I don't think anyone is getting out of this without any sort of suffering... I think every one of us knew that sacrifices were going to be made, but it will take a while to come to terms with experiencing it firsthand."

"I guess I understand what you mean..." replied Shun.

Shun, sat still, thinking about what Hyoga said. He was right in pointing out that there was a difference between being aware of the risks of being a Saint and the reality of going through those said sacrifices. However, Shun couldn't help but wonder if living through a lifetime of losses would ever become less painful.

Just then, Seiya entered the lobby, interrupting the melancholy atmosphere. Seiya let an embarrassed laugh, holding his arms behind his back.

"Hey guys, sorry it took me a while to get over here!"

Hyoga looked toward Seiya and smiled,

"Seiya!"

"Seiya, I'm glad to see you! I was getting worried." Shun replied.

"Don't worry about it, Shun..." Then, Seiya looked around the room and noticed that someone was missing.

"Hey, where's Ikki!? I thought he'd be here, too."

Shun turned back to Seiya with a worried look "My brother already left to rest for the night..."

"Ikki always kept to himself. We will probably see him again tomorrow morning," added Hyoga in an attempt to ease Seiya and Shun's anxiety.

"I guess that means that we need to head home, too. We can't afford to sleep in."

Shun and Hyoga looked at each other with apprehensive looks on their faces. They both know that Seiya was faking his excitable demeanor. More than anything, behind his halfhearted smile, they could tell that Seiya felt very uneasy. Those uneasy vibes were contagious as Shun and Hyoga started to feel uncomfortable as well.

Seiya turned back, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Hey, guys! What are you two doing? I thought we were going home?"

Feeling a bit irritated, Hyoga scratched the back of his head and scoffed,

"Yeah, but you don't have to rush us."

Seiya raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms,

"What does that mean---"

Shun interpreted Seiya, hoping to defuse the tense situation.

"Hyoga, Seiya ... I know, a lot has happened today, which is why we should be trying to understand one another instead of fighting... Shiryu would feel the same way if he was here."

Shun's words stopped Seiya from losing his temper at Hyoga. Shun was right, Shiryu wouldn't want them to get into an argument, especially in the situation that they were in. Seiya looked down at his feet and stood still.

Shiryu ...
Seiya looked up and gave a light smile.

"Shun, you're right. We can't afford to get into petty fights. I'm sorry Hyoga for snapping at you.

Hyoga returned Seiya's smile,

"It's fine, Seiya, I shouldn't have snapped at you, either."

"Hey, now. I was the one who was being a pest!"

The three men laughed as they left the hospital. As they went outside, they saw a limousine that was parked by the hospital entrance. Tatsumi and Saori were in the front seat of the limousine, waiting for them. Tatsumi looked out of the side window and groaned as he saw them steadily approaching the limousine.

"It's about time they showed up. If they were going to take this long, they should have just slept in at the hospital."

Then Saori shot Tatsumi a disapproving look,

"Tatsumi, you know that the last few days have been very hard on them. Please be patient."

"Of course, my lady...But-"

However, before Tatsumi could finish, Saori rolled down the window, so she could talk to the boys.

"Is there any news about Shiryu's condition?"

Shun, Hyoga and Seiya looked at each other, as neither of them knew how they should reply to Saori's question. After all, it was still very difficult for them to grasp what happened to Shiryu recently. Knowing the situation surrounding Shiryu's condition the most, Seiya stepped in and answered Saori's concerns.

"The doctors said that if all goes well, Shiryu can be discharged in the afternoon. After that, he'll go back to the Wulao Peaks."

Saori sighed in relief.

"Thank goodness. It seems like Shunrei and The Master got our message."

Seiya silently nodded.

"Well, we should save the rest of the news for tomorrow. You three need to rest for the day," added Saori.

Shun and Hyoga, went inside the limousine. Hyoga, crossed his arms and sat still. Shun noticed that Seiya didn't go with them. He turned to Seiya and tilted his head with a puzzled look.

"Seiya... You're not going with us?..."

"Nah, I'd rather walk home."

"But Seiya, it's much faster to go with us, and besides, Miss Saori wouldn't mind taking the detour back to the harbour. Isn't that right Miss Saori?

Saori, nodded in response to Shun's comment, however, her expression was still subdued. She knew that her approval wouldn't change Seiya's mind about going on his own.

Seiya gave Shun a lighthearted smile in hopes to reassure him of his decision.

"It's okay, Shun, I'll be fine. Besides, I need some fresh ocean air to clear out that hospital smell that's been lingering in my nose for hours."

"Seiya..."

Hyoga put his hand on Shun's shoulder and shook his head. Hyoga's gesture allowed Shun to realize that Seiya was fixed on his decision to walk home alone. He turned back to Hyoga and nodded, showing him that he understood Hyoga's perspective.

"Okay Seiya. Just take it easy out there."

"Right!" Then Seiya looked back to Shun and Hyoga, "Same to you guys, too!"

Hyoga silently nodded, while Shun waved at Seiya,

"See you soon. We will meet together here, first thing tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good. See you tomorrow, guys." Seiya smiled while he returned Shun's gesture.

Seiya stood still as he watched the limousine leave the hospital entrance. Once the limousine left the premises, Seiya's smile faded away. He could no longer hide the despair he felt inside for Shiryu. Even in the presence of his friends, Seiya barely held on to his happy facade that he desperately tried to maintain.

Seiya left the parking lot with his head held low and his hands in his pockets. Seiya paused and took one last look at the hospital. Some of the windows showed light, but some were completely dark. He was well aware that Shiryu was resting inside one of the dark rooms. However, which room he was in was impossible to make out. All the windows looked the same. Seiya heart sank, as Seiya realized that he and Shiryu will be separated from each other for an unknown period of time. He took a deep breath while his eyes started to water.

I don't know if you can sense me, but rest easy, okay Shiryu... I'll be back here soon... I promise...

Seiya turned his back away from the hospital, wiping his tears. The two men were going to face many difficult challenges a part from one another. Challenges that neither of them knew how to prepare for.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9M 644K 75
Yaduvanshi series #1 An Arranged Marriage Story. POWER!!!!! That's what he always wanted. He is king of a small kingdom of Madhya Pradesh but his pow...
28.8M 915K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
28.5K 803 4
Izuku thought that losing his dreams was the worst thing that could happen to him until..
3.6M 153K 61
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...