How to Seduce an Earl

By SinfullyIndulgent

To escape the clutches of a forced political marriage, Lady Annabeth decides to find a husband of her own cho... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14 (M)
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 8

2.4K 79 12
By SinfullyIndulgent

Annabeth had always been observant since the day she was born. It was due to those skills that she had managed to memorize the patterns of the guards in her family's mansion by the age of seven. With that knowledge, she had easily managed to sneak out of the mansion to go to town outings dressed as a mere commoner. The guards' pattern hadn't changed much since then, and Annabeth soon found herself out of the house where a nondescript rider with a black horse was waiting for her.

"Nice ride, Seaweed Brain."

"What's this?" Percy chuckled. "No greetings of Your Grace, or even Percy?"

"We're just simple commoners going out on an outing to the town. No titles today." Annabeth was exuberant, and she let it show in her smiles.

Of course, if she wanted to go out to the Imperial capital city, her family would have let her but only if she took her maid and two guards with her in the family carriage. If she mentioned that she would be going with the Earl, her father would demand even more people go. That would be troublesome indeed. She would have to be Lady Annabeth at all times, suffering under the veneer of polite noble formality.

She was dressed as a milking maid today, with a white cotton blouse tucked into a simple blue skirt and a rough woolen cloak to protect from any sudden rain. To match with her, Percy was dressed in a stable man's garb. Even Blackjack was in disguise, with a worn down saddle and all the Earl's crest designs removed. Still, the rough clothes couldn't hide the way Percy's black hair landed in soft inky waves over his high forehead or the bright green eyes she'd come to love.

"No titles sound good to me." Percy said cheerily.

This time, Annabeth accepted Percy's help to get up on Blackjack. No normal female commoner would be trained in equestrian skills, and she was determined to play the part dutifully. Percy swung up behind her easily.

The sun was shining, a rare sunny day in the rainy season. Annabeth breathed in the smells of the dewy grass from the previous night's rain as Blackjack trotted along the road. It was a glorious morning, riding on a horse with Percy's firm embrace around her.

"Do you have a habit of sneaking out of your house dressed as a milking maid?"

"Of course not." Annaebth turned around and winked. "Sometimes I sneak out dressed as a maid."

"Hmm," Percy murmured. "A maid, huh?"

Annabeth quirked her eyebrow in question.

"I think it would be quite nice to see you dressed up as a maid, just like in the stories you were reading in the library that time. Like a maid who seduces the Duke?"

She swatted at his arm. "Oh, shush. You're never going to let me live that down, aren't you?"

He laughed, nuzzling his chin at the top of her head. She was considered tall for a woman, but Percy was still taller than her. The perfect height to lean down and plant a kiss on her lips. "Not at all, Annabeth."

Annabeth leaned back into his warm chest. "Well, I suppose I'll have to wear a maid uniform some time then, but only this time it'll be a maid who seduces the Earl."

Percy's laugh turned into a strangled gasp.

She was reminded of the time when Percy and she had ridden his horse together after the hunt. This time, Percy had no hesitation in wrapping his arm around her waist while the other kept a steady hold on the reins. Annabeth felt comfortable leaning against him, even angling her head so he could press a soft kiss on her temple. Unfortunately, they were trotting along a fairly busy road and that would be the most they could do.

Their banter went back and forth like this until the city was within view. The sights of people bustling around, fresh bread wafting from the bakeries, hawkers selling their mills greeted them. Annabeth liked it much better than visiting with her guards. People would stare at her and the crest on her carriage, wondering which lady she was. That sort of attention was far too burdensome.

"Where did you want to visit?"

Annabeth took him to her favorite bookstore naturally. The owner hurried over, delighted at the arrival of his favorite customer. The pair left with a large stack of books that Percy was kind to pay for. The owner bowed them out the door with gratefulness, even giving Annabeth a little wink and a thumbs up as she left with Percy.

"Well, at least let me buy lunch," Annabeth implored.

Since they were dressed as commoners, they couldn't easily just stroll into her favorite restaurant that was reserved for nobles or wealthy commoners. Shame, really, since she knew Percy would enjoy the blue corn salad with sauted indigo milk caps. Annabeth decided to buy him a little of everything from the street vendors, from some fresh blueberry muffins straight out of the oven to grilled chicken skewers (definitely not blue). She made up her mind to take him out on a fancier food date another day.

***************************************

Going around town incognito was more fun than he expected. Percy held Annabeth's hand as she pulled him around to see her favorite spots in the city. It was refreshing to see Annabeth just be herself without the title and responsibility of being a noble hanging over their heads. He was in high spirits the moment he saw her dressed in simple clothes.

In truth, Percy had not been in a good mood that morning ever since a special letter had arrived.

A letter decreeing that he return from his duties as ambassador to the Olympian Kingdom marry immediately. A letter straight from the Royal family of the Atlantis Empire. Percy had scoffed as he tore up the letter and threw the pieces into the fire.

Although the letter had had the official seal bearing his father's royal insignia, he knew his father probably had little to do with it. Queen Amphitrite, King Poseidon's official wife and the only Queen, was the one behind this, probably pressuring his father into accepting the marriage. She had always disliked her husband's other children. For Percy to be loved and favored by her husband, to the same standard that her own son and heir to the Empire was favored was a huge cause of ire to her, especially when his mother wasn't even an official concubine.

Queen Amphitrite sought to control him by tying him down to a wife that she could control. It was a large reason why Percy did not want to marry, and especially not more than one wife. He couldn't imagine ever loving more than one person at a time.

The Queen had been royally pissed off when Percy had been seeing Lady Calypso and engaged him to Lady Rachel instead. Lady Calypso would have made him a Count, and Queen Amphitrite thought that was too high of a title for a royal bastard like him. Marrying Lady Rachel would only make him a simple Baron.

In the beginning, Percy had not minded too much. Lady Calypso was his first crush but first loves never lasted, did they? She moved on quickly after his engagement. He was heartbroken for a bit, but those feelings vanished like frost under the mid-morning sun.

Lady Rachel and he got on surprisingly fine and became good friends. Still, Lady Rachel was furious at being pressured to do something she never wanted to do. Then, she found her calling as a priestess of the Apollo temple, which required her to be a virgin.

No more marriage there. Then the war had come and he volunteered to go to escape another marriage arranged by his stepmother.

Percy had never fallen in love romantically with Lady Rachel, though he did care for her. If they had gotten married, he would have had a married life that was decent. Perhaps one day, they would have grown to care for each other romantically as well. Still, Lady Rachel reminded him of Annabeth in some ways. They were both independent and refreshing, different from other noblewomen he interacted with. Perhaps he liked that type the most, rather than the vapid type of women.

But now this new letter had arrived. He could not ignore a direct order from the Royal family, lest he wanted his head to be served on a royal platter. She scowled at the name written there. This time, the poor woman chosen was just a fifteen-year old girl who had barely made her debut in society. He recongized the name as the family were old Atlantis nobility but were now poor to the bone. The young girl was for sure being sold off into this marriage. So how could he prevent this unwanted marriage?

"Percy. Look at these throwing knives!"

He was brought out of his murky thoughts.

Yup, Lady Annabeth, the daughter of a Duchess, was currently testing a batch of throwing knives at one of the blacksmith shops. Percy grinned at the blacksmith's stuttering when Annabeth perfectly threw a knife at a target. It wasn't every day one got to see a young woman expertly throw knives, let alone someone who was supposed to be a milking maid.

The blacksmith's apprentice sent Annabeth an admiring look. The scrawny apprentice looked far too down on her body, in Percy's opinion. Whenever she bent down to pick up another throwing knife, the flimsy corset of her white blouse could not conceal the gentle swaying of her breasts. With each movement the boy stared hungrily at her body. Even in that simple outfit, Annabeth's beauty could not be hidden. She was a sweet-smelling rose who attracted those around her.

Percy moved a few steps, blocking the apprentice's view of Annabeth. If it had been a simple, admiring look, fine, Percy understood. Annabeth was indeed striking. But the apprentice looked like he was peeling back layers of Annabeth's clothing as if wondering what was underneath the cotton.

Most likely if Annabeth had seen the blacksmith apprentice stare at her in such a blatant disgusting manner, she might do something drastic to the poor boy. Describing Annabeth as a rose would indeed be accurate, as a rose has thorns as Annabeth might easily throw a knife at the apprentice or castrate him with any of the sharp tools displayed in the blacksmith shop. The fairest of the roses would attract all sorts of insects like the fly of the apprentice. Would he be a bee instead, buzzing around her petals before pollinating her center?

He knew Lady Annabeth was fending off marriage offers. The persistent offers of Baron Rodrick actually irritated him to some degree, since at the last ball Baron Rodrick had tried to cut in on their dancing at least three times before getting the hint that he was not wanted. The way that Rodrick had looked at Annabeth as though she were a piece of meat had disgusted him. He had to remind himself that he wasn't in battle anymore and couldn't just go over and stab the baron with his sword. His sweet mother deserved more than a son who couldn't control his temper.

But what was the relationship between he and Annabeth? Certainly friends, or perhaps even more than that, considering the way they lately couldn't keep their hands off each other. But not yet to the point of being full on lovers.

Percy liked spending time with her, and their conversations always had him grinning. Recently, he found himself thinking more and more of the bright smiles she sent him, the way her wild golden hair felt in his hands, and the teasing light in her gray eyes. He was beginning to not be satisfied with just conversing with her as a friend.

Annabeth had a problem of the wrong men asking for her hand. Percy had a problem of being saddled with a wife who was forced to marry him and would control him as a puppet to the royal family. He didn't need to be a genius to have a solution that answered both problems.

Most ladies would visit a jewelry shop or a dress shop. Annabeth preferred metal weapons and books.

But perhaps...there would be a piece of jewelry she would like to receive.

Percy wondered if he could gift her a piece of jewelry in the form of a ring.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 2.3K 26
Annabeth Chase is the princess, soon to be Queen, of her kingdom. Her father is more focused on the ancient laws of Annabeth marrying a prince instea...
17.4K 1.1K 39
[feat. highest ranking: 50 in #percabeth 06/28/19] [feat. highest ranking: 12 in #annabethchase 06/13/19] [feat. highest ranking: 22 in #sailing 05/0...
247K 5.3K 22
Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase have had many adventures together as demigods. They've always had secret crushes on each other, but never revealed i...
689 3 23
Percy and Annabeth have been best friends for ever. But when feelings form. And Percy, Annabeth start dating different people, what will happen. Will...