THE OUTLAW 𖤓 A. Pendragon {1}

By FinchesTree

"You and Merlin need to practice on how you address Royalty." "I promise you, your highness, I try, but it's... More

𝔈𝔵𝔱𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔢𝔡 𝔖𝔲𝔪𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔶
𝔎𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔡𝔬𝔪
𝔈𝔭𝔦𝔤𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔥
ℑ𝔫𝔠𝔬𝔯𝔯𝔢𝔠𝔱 𝕼𝔲𝔬𝔱𝔢𝔰
𝕻𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕺𝖓𝖊
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊
𝕷𝖊𝖙𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖘 𝕭𝖊𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝖀𝖘 :: 𝕱𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝕮𝖆𝖒𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖙 𝖙𝖔 𝕳𝖔𝖒𝖊
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖎𝖛𝖊
𝕷.𝕭.𝖀 :: 𝕳𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕭𝖆𝖈𝖐 𝕬𝖌𝖆𝖎𝖓
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖎𝖝
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓
𝕷.𝕭.𝖀 :: 𝕰𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖊𝖘
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕰𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖊𝖓
𝕷.𝕭.𝖀 :: 𝕽𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕰𝖑𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓
𝕷.𝕭.𝖀 :: 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓 𝕱𝖎𝖊𝖑𝖉𝖘
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖔

399 13 0
By FinchesTree

THE POMPOUS PRINCE
Known also as...
{THE DRAGON'S CALL :: Part Two}

➶︎➶︎➶︎

"HEY! Stop, you bloody bastard
Street Rat- Guards! Thief!"

The fat and balding baker nearly killed me with just his bellowing.

I swear he'd been occupied with the woman at the counter. Obviously he was smarter than I had given him credit for.

That didn't matter now. I could berate myself later if I wanted- if I got away with my skin.

Darting down the nearest alleyway, I hoped the baker would give up the trouble of recovering one measly loaf of bread.

Yet, as I dared a glance over my shoulder, my hopes were dashed as I found the lumbering man round the corner, fast on my heels with a long walking stick held threateningly over his head.

Didn't he know that he was only giving a better opportunity for other kids to steal from him with his shop unintended?

With newfound adrenaline coursing through my veins, I pushed myself further than I ever had. Nauseous punched my chest like a kick to the gut.

As I broke away from the alley, my feet slipped across the frozen dirt road. I choked as the air left my lungs. By an act of mercy, my left foot found just enough traction to keep my footing.

Not wanting to risk a glance behind me, I ran forward as I scanned my surroundings.

Coming from my right, a large group of women with their daughters were walking toward the Winter Solstice festival. Without hesitation, I made for the back of their group and weaseled my way into their midst, throwing up my hood with the rest of them. I prayed that my dirty and torn cloak didn't make me stand out like a lantern in the middle of the night.

I forced down several slow breaths as fought to bring back color to my pale face. I didn't need any concerned mothers asking after my well-being.

I risked a glance toward the alleyway in time to see the baker skid to a halt at the mouth. Well, he tried too anyways. Unlike me, he did not find his footing. Instead, he slipped and landed on his back with a painful thud.

Thank you, Lord, for small mercies.

I walked with the group woman a bit further as they're indifferent company felt safer than chancing a run-in a city guard.

After a few minutes passed and the commotion from earlier seemed to have passed, I silently parted from the group and made for the outer ring of the city.

Thankfully, I had a better sense of direction now than when we first arrived, meaning it took no time at all to find the rundown shack we had made home in the Slums, a small section outside Cheapside.

"Tina," I hissed into our barely-held-together-hut. Without waiting for a response, I slinked into the dimly lit room and quickly pushed back the loose plank that served as our door.

Inside the shed was a small partition that split the room into thirds. On the far side of the room, behind the wall, was where we slept with the pelts we had taken from home. Although the cold still seeped in through the many cracks, the wind from our door didn't quite reach our makeshift bedrolls there. On this side of the room was a cracked barrel that we used as a table, a single candle lit and half melted onto the lid. Our parent's sword and bows were placed in the back left corner were a loose shelf made for a perfect hiding spot. Below that was a small crate filled with empty tins that Tina had collected for us to use as dishes. The few small trinkets we had left from Locksley were hidden away were no one could find them.

It wasn't home. It was necessary.

"Tina, I got sup-"

My words froze with my feet. I wouldn't have thought much of the movement I caught out of the corner of my eye. But I knew better. That wasn't my sister's shadow.

Slowly, I reached toward my right hip where my mother's dagger laid.

"We don't mean any harm."

The dagger was already in my hand as two figures stepped out from the shadowier parts of the room.

Two boys, both a few good inches taller than myself. I couldn't be sure with all the dirt smeared on their faces, but I figured they couldn't be much older than myself. Sixteen- maybe seventeen.

     I noted curiously that despite their faces, their clothes, although worn, had spots with crooked stitches like they had the materials to repair what little they had.

As I thought of my own appearance, I reached a slow hand up toward an ear concealed under my limp hood. I had learned the hard way that people don't take kindly to anyone with Druid links. The last thing I needed was for people to find out I had elven blood as well. Hopefully it looked like I was scratching an itch and not hiding something.

Taking a step forward, the taller boy extended a hand as he spoke. "The names William- or Will if you wish."

The action made me flinch, having encountered a good few beating in the past month. Anxiously, I took in his shaggy blonde hair that brushed past his ears and the light-brown eyes that probably looked copper in the sunlight. The lite candle on our makeshift table reflected off the barest peach fuzz on the boy's chin.

Having caught my reaction, Will begun to pull back. Not wanting to look the coward, I caught his hand and gave it a single mighty shake before letting go.

The blonde boy smiled kindly before pointing to the boy next to him. "This is Cedric, although we call him Ced."

I flicked my gaze from the boy to his friend. This one had long black hair that hung in waves by his chin. His eyes were dark and deep. I didn't know what make of him. He wasn't as broad as the blonde boy, but he looked like he could hold his own in a fight. Not that I wanted to find out.

With that thought, I readjusted my grip, not liking the scene in front of me. There were two strange boys in my shack, and no sister to be found.

"Where's my sister?"

"I'm here, Elly." A figure about my size darted out from behind the small divide in the shack.

My sister's hand pulled the arm that had been resting on my dagger's hilt, breaking my grasp on the weapon.

I grabbed Tina's face as I let out a breath I didn't realized I had been holding. Her long brown hair was matted and tangled from lack of upkeep; and her face was covered in dirt, hiding the freckles that dotted her cheeks and nose. Across her left cheek was a fading scratch from a few days ago after a run-in with some guards. The guilt still clung close to my chest.

No new wounds had appeared since I had left, but that didn't explain why these boys were here alone with my sister. I pushed Tina behind me as I turned back to them.

"We don't have any money or food," I hoped the shadows of my cloak hid the abnormal lump coming from my tunic. "and the only clothes we have are the ones on our backs."

"Elly-"

"I said what do you want?"

The boys raised their hands till they hovered next to their heads. They exchanged a glance before the boy named Cedric took a cautious step forward. "You ain't a Bootlicker worth stealing from. We came with an offer. We were just telling your sister about it when you came in."

Unsure of what to think, I let Tina push the dagger from my shaking hand.

"They want to offer us a better place to live. With other kids, Elly." Tina explained, patience in her voice. She sounded mature, very much unlike the little sister I knew.

I swallowed my worry as she stepped around me, uncaring- and not nearly as guarded as I felt she should be. "I think we should think about it."

I shook my head, sending my straw-like hair spinning about my face. "And if we don't agree? What then? You'll kill us so we don't tell anyone where your rat hole is? You're probably wanted or something. I've heard the guards curse Street Rats- target them even. I don't want that for us."

William cocked his head forward, acknowledging my point. "Yet you're targeted just because you take up space, but with a crew, you won't have to always watch your back. We care for each other without conditions. We just ask that you do the same for us. But, we'll let you go on your way if you don't want to join. We aren't the Bloodbacks-"

"Bloodbacks? Bootlickers? Why won't you speak bloody English!" I spat, frustrated and on edge.

"The guards we call Bloodbacks because you can't separate the red of their cloaks from the blood that gets on them by the flogging." Will explained slowly as he lowered his hands. "We don't do that. We provide for each other by taking from those who can carry on without it."

"So why us? There plenty of other kids out there."

"Most a lot of them are with us. Haven't you seen how the rag kids disappear come dusk? They know where it's safe cause we've made it so. The truth is, we've been keeping tabs on you two. You're sly and quick, the both of you. You're impressive for a new kid on the streets, but if you come with us, we'll show you a more... effective approach."

With squinted eyes, I stood there speechless. I wasn't sure if I should be fearful or honored that they had been spying on us.

    Never had I thought that this is what my life would come to. An orphan living in a strange, dangerous city with my sister and no place to call home, being offered a spot in what sounded like a children mercenary group. A safe mercenary group.

If we declined, what were the chances we could get through the winter alive?

"I wouldn't be too impressed... I nearly got caught by a baker not more than an hour ago." Timidly, I pulled the loaf of bread out from under my tunic and lazily waved it around in the air for them to see.

A pregnant pause filled the small shack, then a burst of laughter erupted from the boys. Cedric grasped my shoulder with a wide toothy smile. "I think you'll fit right in with us."

My cheeks flamed from his complement.

"Why don't we talk a bit more over dinner. I've got a few apples and I think Ced's still got his slice of cheese." Will pulled out two bright red fruits from some concealed pocket within his cloak. "We've got urchins of all ages with us, so don't worry about fitting in- if you should join. Catina was just telling us that she's eleven, so you couldn't be more than twelve years old?"

I stuck my chin out at his remark, offended by the notion. "I'm fourteen! And my name's Elwyn! Elwynna Robin MacKay."

Twelve my ass.

⚔︎⚔︎⚔︎

I shot upright gasping as cold sweat dripped down my back. My chest heaved with every labored breath I forced down my tight throat.

Where was I? This wasn't the Sojourner's Rest, the Titus Estate, or any of the hideouts- and it definitely wasn't my house.

A distant bell rang the early hour as I took in the unfamiliar chamber. There were tables scattered throughout and loose pieces of parchment were placed without reason. The distant window to my right faced the east as it displayed the morning sun, but didn't show the tops of buildings.

     As the bitter scent of herbs met my nose, it hit me. Camelot. I was in Camelot. With Gaius- And that skinny pasty boy from the evening before.

I laid back onto the hard ground and stared at the wooden beams that stretched across the ceiling. I concentrated in my breathing until my heart finally slowed.

Now calm, I tilted my head to the right and found Gaius fast alseep within his cot; the spare room door still closed tight.

A dull ache was building between the bridge of my nose and right eye, the tell tale signs of a bad headache.

     It wasn't often that I dreamed of my humble beginnings. Usually, I dreamt of the day I became an orphan. But this time... it had been so vivid, like everything I had done in the past nine years was a lie. Like I had to go through it all again...

"Are you alright, Elwynna?" With a jolt, I snapped my head toward the voice.

Gaius, it was only Gaius. The old man sat on the edge of his coat, staring at me like I had lost my bloody mind.

"I am now." I muttered as I dragged a hand down my face, pulling myself up to lean my forehead against my knees.

"Do you want to talk about it? I would understand if you declined. I've had my fair share of dreams of the past."

As I looked up, I found the man dressed and moving about the room, assembling what was sure to be a poor breakfast.

How long had I been sitting there in a daze? Now wasn't the time to lose it.

"Come. Get up."

      I caught the wet rag a moment before it could smack the side of my face.

"I don't know how you plan on spending your time here in Camelot, but I plan on making you and Merlin help me with the day's tasks until you find something else to do." The older man smirked at my scowl. "Get dressed before Merlin beats you to breakfast- and wash your face. You look like an urchin."

"I am an urchin." I muttered stubbornly. "And if you're cooking is just as bad as before, Merlin is welcome to it."

Grabbing the water bucket from the table, I went behind Gaius' wooden screen to change into something more suitable for inner-city life.

My traveling tunic and pants were covered in dust and mud, collected from my journey. The top of my green cloak had become sunbleached from days on the road.

I'm the end, I chose a practical green dress- nothing fancy. I ran my fingers through my knotted hair, making sure it hid my ears, as I stepped around the wooded screen.

As I placed the bucket back on the table, a loud squeal of rusty door hinges pierced the other wise quiet room. I watched as Merlin climbed down the steps that led up to the back room.

The boy froze as he spotted me across the room. He was like a deer who had caught the scent of a hunter.

Gaius cleared his throat, successfully breaking the boy from his awkward stand off. A shy smile spread across Merlin's lips as he held out a hand. "Merlin." He said.

"Elwynna." I answered mockingly- but with a well meaning smile. "I'm sorry we didn't get to talk last night. I mostly just saw your back."

The boy's smile grew as he pushed out an airy sigh of relief. "Some say it's my best feature. I'm Merlin- which I already said-"

A genuine laugh tumbled over my tongue as the boy stumbled over his words. The two of us shook hands, than went to sit at the table.

As we sat across from each other, I found that Merlin's amused smile had turned into a worried frown. The boy cleared his throat awkwardly, then said, "Um, did you by chance see anything strange yesterday?"

My smile twisted into confusion as I tried to puzzle out what the boy was insinuating. Did he usually ask broad questions?

What had happened yesterday? Through the haze of fatigue, all I could really remember was my conversation with Gaius. Anything before that was pretty much-

"Oh!" I exclaimed as yesterday's events came back to me. "I didn't quite see it, but I heard about it."

My answered seemed to occupy the boy for the moment. I could practically see the wheels turning behind his eyes. He was paler than most, but his complexion had turned more ghost-like than it had been a few moments before. Maybe what had happened in the courtyard yesterday were just as unsettling to him as they were to me.

"What did you hear?" Merlin asked.

"Not much. I arrived right after it happened- but I know that magic was involved."

"I was born with it!"

Silence flooded the room as Gaius' rustling stopped. I met Merlin's intense stare with a cautious smile as I waited for a the punchline. Was I the only one lost here?

     As the silence grew, I couldn't help but laugh at the strange boy's outburst.

"This isn't funny, Elwyn! The king will have my head if you tell anyone that I have magic."

I suddenly choked on my laughter. "You're telling me, you have-" My eyes went wide as I took in the full meaning of what he was saying. "Why would you tell me that?! Are you an idiot?"

The boy's face grew red as his mouth slowly widened into an O. "You mean you didn't-"

"Is that why Gaius' railing is broken?"

"Well," Gaius interrupted, as he set the steaming cauldron on the table. "I fell through it and he saved me with his magic. I should probably fix that soon."

"You knew about this?" I accused Gaius.

"Elwynna!" Merlin shouted, dragging my attention back to the distraught boy. "Will you tell anyone?"

"Of course not, you dull-eyed fool!" I huffed as I gestured dumbly to him. "You have no reason to believe this, but I've maimed lesser men who have tried to punish children who's parents were rumored to be practicing magic. I would do no less to protect someone who's been born with it. I have no reason to turn you in. Besides, you do not seem like the dark magic kind of warlock to me."

A silence fell upon the room as Merlin pondered my words and searched my face for any sign of falsehood.

In some ways, I felt guilty. If I had been lying, the boy likely wouldn't have been able to tell.

Suddenly uncomfortable with the topic, I addressed the gawking physician. "I'm sure it won't kill me, but I would be surprised if it tasted good. A bowl, Gaius?"

"Ah, yes." The older man said as he broke free from his trance.

Gaius laid a tin bowl before us both, then ladling in a pale creamy, chunky lukewarm porridge.

"Before I forget- Merlin, I've fetched you some water." The physician gestured lazily to the bucket that I had placed at the edge of the table. "You'll have to make due with what's left. Eat your breakfast first than you can get to it."

Merlin tossed his head absentmindedly, nodding to Gaius from over his shoulder, "Thank you." He said

Holding my spoon an inch from my lips, I watched as the newfound warlock scooped up a spoonful of the creamy liquid. As he brought it up to his nose, his lips faintly curling back in disgust.

"It's better if you hold your breath." I whispered to him with a smirk.

Merlin smiled back before bringing his spoon toward his mouth, "The taste is the least of my-"

My hand flew out instinctually as I tried to catch the suddenly tipping bucket. But before my fingers could skim the wood, Merlin was up- and the bucket had stopped. No, not from tipping. The spilling bucket had frozen midair, like a fish trapped in an iced over river.

Too startled to speak, I slowly got to my feet. Before anything could be said, the bucket crashed onto the stone floor as if nothing had happened.

"How did you do that?" Gaius shouted. "Did you incant a spell in your mind?"

"I don't know any spells." The warlock threw his hands up in defense.

"Than what did you do? There must be something."

"It just happens." Merlin deflated. The boy, looking lost, hurried toward door and grab the mop that sat in the corner and busied himself with cleaning up the mess.

I could tell the boy's answer didn't satisfy my friend, but it was a tricky subject to start with. Whether Merlin truly didn't know how he used magic, or if he was lying, he had already spilled his secret twice in less than a day.

"Well, we'd better keep you out of trouble then." Gaius decided. The man hobbled over to l his alchemy table, piled with dried herbs and bottled liquids, and plucking up a few vials.

"As I was telling Elwyn before you came down, today, you two will be helping me. Here- Hollyhock and Feverfew for Lady Percival. And this," He lifted a yellow bottle, the thick liquid catching the morning sun in a strange way. "is for Sir Owen. He's as blind as a weevil. So warn him not to take it all at once."

Gaius passed the potions over to Merlin before he turned to gather a few more potions.

"Here are a few others. They have names attached so you shouldn't get them mixed up. Elwyn should be able to get you through the castle alright. The faster you work together, the faster it will get done, do you understand?" Gaius gave me a sharp look, likely remembering all the times he had caught me daydreaming in the corridors when he had originally sent me to get freshwater.

With a impish smile, I swiped the bottles from Merlin's hands and gently placed them in the large pouch at my side. "Of course, Gaius, but what fun would it be if I just agreed to everything you said?" Gaius rolled his eyes- but he couldn't hide the small smile that crossed his lips.

"Here," The man reached further down the dining table and pulled out a plate of bread with meat and cheese on top.

Merlin twinned Gaius' smile as he handed the older man the mop in exchange for the food.

"Off you go." Gaius beckoned with a wave.

"Don't I get one?" I asked, an innocent smile on my lips. "I was the first child you ever took in."

"And I had hoped you would be the last." Gaius muttered under his breath. Turning back to his counter, he fumbled with something before tossing it to me. I was rather proud, in that moment, of how effortlessly I caught his shotty toss.

     What it was, was a roll with some cheese and an few apple slices on the inside- just as I had liked when I was in his care.

"You always were a sentimentalist, Gaius." I pressed a small kiss to the older man's cheek, than walked toward the door. "Come on, Merlin. I'll try not to get us lost."

"And, Merlin?" The older man called after us. "I need hardly remind you that the practice of any form of enchantments will get you killed."

✧✧✧

It was a couple hours later when Merlin and I were finally able to relish the midday sun.

The trek around the castle had taken much longer than I would have wanted. We were led astray at least twice, got separated once, and realized at one point that we had delivered the wrong potion to an ill knight. In the end, Merlin thought it wiser to ask a servant for directions.

I had made a point to apologize to Merlin. If anything, I feared his own embarrassment. But he had been very kind-hearted about the whole ordeal, and even laughed at our misfortune.

"It's no problem." He said in response to my apologies. "I'm sure we'll find our way around as the days come."

     In truth, I had made more than one mistake on purpose. I was willing to sacrifice Merlin's opinion in turn for a chance to look around the castle without being questioned. An accuse for mis-navigation could only be used once and when the time most called for it.

In the end, some good had out of Gaius' list of chores. There was a mutual comfort between the boy and myself. Enough so that when he offered me his arm, I willingly took it with a chuckle and a smirk.

"I wasn't aware you were such a gentleman, Merlin." I commented.

He smiled back snd quirked a brow. "I have many secrets."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course. Now, gentleman, would you escort me around?"

We settled into an amicable silence as our walk took us around the inner city. People leaned out their windows to hang laundry and others went about their business with baskets full of food, clothes, or other goods. Some people traded smiles, while others growled if you got too close. All in all, I hated it. If I had to be in a city, let it Londinium.

Merchants shouted out their wares as hired children tried to entice passerbyers. It was this in particular that brought a small, knowing smile to my lips.

I nodded numbly to a young boy with dirt smudged in his nose. He was returning to a fruit vendor with a slip of parchment in one hand with his other palm held out. The paper was most likely his proof of delivery.

"I remember being one of those kids," I mused absentmindedly. "It was during the winters when odd jobs were scarce. I had to dress up as a boy most of the time, but I didn't mind it. Thicker clothes that way."

"Pardon?"

Indifferent, I twisted my gaze back to Merlin. "Don't mind me." I smiled softly, not offering a further explanation.

A loud laugh cut through our idle conversation as we walked into a small courtyard outside the castle. The green looked over the city and the surrounding Darkling Woods.

Across the yard was a group of young rich-looking men gathered around a collection of knifes, swords, and bows with targets across the lawn.

Their attire was casual, but without the wear and tear of most citizens. Some of them wore pieces of metal armor and had swords hung at their sides.

I felt my jaw tense as I recognized their rank. Nobles. My issues laid more with the Blood Backs than the Boot Lickers and their Knighted Sons, but it would be best to move on before my tongue got us into any unnecessary trouble.

"Where's the target?"

"There, Sir?"

Merlin, on the other hand, halted as we cleared the gateway. I tried to nudge him along, but he was determined to observe.

A young blonde man had stepped away from the pack of nobles and was addressing a boy who looked to be his servant.

Speaker must be their leader- likely the highest ranking out of his friends. The man was probably a knight, if not a prominent Lord's son. Not only was he dressed like one, with a clean red tunic and polished iron armor, but his whole posture was one of self-righteousness- more so than your typical Boot-licker.

My father's words came to mind as I watched the man interact condescendingly with his servant.

"They're here to serve their own interests," Papa would say as he subtly pointing out certain counsel members to me. "Watch and listen to how they talk in court. They think they're entitled to everything because their father's earned it. Now, true men will live up to the title of a knight. They will honor those around them and take up the burden that comes with the title." I could still feel the weight of his hand on my shoulders as he spoke. "Be diligent to pick the ripe from the rotten. Not all knights are bad; there are those who are good. It will be apparent that they serve all people instead of themselves."

If there was one thing I knew for certain, it was that this particular knight, was as rotten as they came.

"It's in the sun." The noble complained with a smirk.

"Well, it's not that bright." The servant retired stupidly.

"A bit like you then." The knight snapped back. His friends laughed, egging him on.

The servant sighed as he nodded toward the target, "I'll put it down on the other end, shall I, Sir?"

With nothing more than a mocking look as confirmation, the servant lugged the green and gold target onto his shoulder and made for the opposite end of the courtyard.

"Teach him a lesson."

My eyes flicked to the crowd as I caught the whispered words. The blonde knight smirked at his jeering friends, and then with a quick flick of his wrist, he sent a dagger soaring across the yard, imbedding itself just off center of the moving target.

"Hang on!" The servant peeked back toward his master as fear and shock danced across his face.

The blonde knight threw up his hands as if the servant's fear offended him, "Don't stop!" He didn't even attempt to hide his large smile.

"Drunken Cockalorum-" I hissed, biting back the shout as it slipped past my lips. Now was not the time for thoughtless actions. I needed to keep my nose clean. I needed to stay out of trouble.

The servant shuffled a bit to his right and then halted once more.

"I told you to keep moving!" The knight threw another dagger before the servant could obey- this time a few inches to the left of the first. The blonde man laughed gleefully. "Come on! Run!"

The servant jogged across the field with the target weighting heavily on his shoulder. The man tried to crouch as he ran, obviously worried about the rest of his body, but it only served to make him more of a laughing stock for the pack of onlookers.

The knight threw a few more daggers into the target and relished the laughter that sparked up around the courtyard.

Little more than half minute passed when the servant tripped a few feet from us. The target flew from the man's hands, rolled on its side, and landed a measure from Merlin's feet.

Merlin pulled away from my side and placed a foot on the wobbling target.

"Hey, come on. That's enough." He called.

Like an idiot. I couldn't watch this.

The blonde knight turned from his congratulating friends as he searched for the voice. As he spotted Merlin on the sidelines, he seemed taken aback, as if he wasn't sure if Merlin had actually spoken to him.

"What?" He asked, obviously offended.

"You've had your fun, my friend."

     I repressed the urge to pull Merlin back, but it was his skin on the line, he could do what he wanted. Myself, on the other hand, it would be better that I faded into the crowd before I got caught up in whatever tomfoolery the boy was sure to find himself in. I took a step back as the thought crossed my mind.

"Do I know you?" The noble asked.

His approaching gait was slow and authoritative- very much like a strutting rooster. Pride radiated off of him in waves. Everything about him screamed spoiled.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't ever have to interact with nobles. They were always so cocky and conceded. Very rarely did I leave one's presence without a headache.

But there was something more to this knight. Something told me that upsetting this man was the last thing we wanted to do. A single word to his father or superior would get us locked away somewhere deep.

     Merlin extended his hand to the knight, ignoring or not noticing the man's displeasure at his mere presence. "Uh, I'm Merlin."

     "So I don't know you." The knight answered, ignored my friend's hand.

     The boy paused, then lowered his arm. "No."

     "Yet you called me 'Friend'?"

     My feet stopped their silent retreat as my skin itched with anger. As much as I rather keep myself from the dungeons, I couldn't let Merlin get himself killed because he didn't know any better.

"That was his mistake." I sighed, irritated that I felt the need to get involved.

     The knight's gaze moved from Merlin to where I stood a few feet back. I didn't miss the flash of judgment in his eyes as he took in my appearance.

"Yes," He decided. He paused a moment more as he gave me a cheeky smile. "Yes, I would think so."

     "Yeah," Merlin agreed. The warlock shook his head, disbelief and mischievous dancing in his glare. "I'd never have a friend who could be such an ass."

     "Merlin..." I groaned, horrified and slightly amused- not that I would ever let Merlin know that. The boy had obviously never learned how to pick his battles from whatever little village he had come from.

     In what must have been a moment of divine intervention, I felt Merlin's hand wrap around my arm as he began to walk away.

     "Or I one who could be so stupid."

     "Merlin," My voice was low and dangerous as my grip on his arm tightened. "Do not retaliate. He is not worth the horse slop he came out of."

If Merlin heard my words, he didn't acknowledge them. His eyes were distant as traces of uncontrolled anger flickered across his face.

     "Tell me, Merlin." The knight drew out. His footsteps crunched against the rubble of the road as he approached. "Do you know how to walk on your knees?"

     I clenched my jaw as Merlin turned his back to me and faced the knight head-on.

"No." He stated.

     "Would you like me to show you?"

     "I wouldn't if I were you." Merlin threatened as he approached the knight.

     The man cocked his head at Merlin. He held a exaggerated smile, as if he were speaking to a young child. "What are you going to do?" He asked.

     "You have no idea."

If Merlin were to get himself killed, I pray that he may get a few good punches in first.

     The man smiled as he put his arms out at his sides and slowly leaned into the boy's space. "Well, be my guest! Come on!" A pause. "Come on."

     Without warning, Merlin swung.

     If you could even call it that. The punch wouldn't have dented a year old melon sitting on a fence post; that is, if he could have hit his target.

The knight easily deflected the pathetic throw and pinned Merlin's arm behind his back, detaining him.

     This was not the adventure I had hoped for.

Although I understood Merlin's irritation towards the knight, I knew that the aftermath was never worth the short-lived victory. Merlin, unfortunately, did not.

     "I'll have to throw you in jail for that." The knight said as the warlock tried to pull free.

     Merlin scuffed, "Who do you think you are, the king?"

     "No, I'm his son. Arthur."

Bloodied bones of a wench's bastard. The prince. I took a solitary step back, wishing I had left Merlin to his own choices.

Merlin was pushed to the ground as the prince called over some nearby guards to escort my friend back to the castle.

Angry and irritated, I decided I needed to get a grip on myself and the situation. I approached the nearest guard and tapped his shoulder in the hopes of gaining his attention. "Sir, could you tell me-"

"Back off trash!" The guard shoved off my hand and scowled as he looked me over. "Go back to whatever brothel you came from, Skeev."

     I stood seething in the middle of the road as Merlin was dragged away, the guard's insult still ringing in my ears. My fingers twitched, skimming the leather grip of my dagger, hidden at my side. I so deeply wished to send the pommel spinning into the back of the guard's head.

I would have stood there forever, waiting for my boiling blood to calm, if the mocking laughter behind me hadn't brought me back to reality.

"Did you see his face?"

"Nice one, sire. Really taught him!"

"Maybe they'll throw him in the stocks. That would be an amusing sight."

     "You're a Schadenfreude." I shouted through a haze of seething anger. I turned to glare at the back of the blonde boy's head as the childish laughter was cut short.

     "Since I doubt you know what that means, I'll try to explain it in a way so that you can understand." I balled my hands as I fought to keep my voice even. "It's what the countries out East call a stuck-up prick who gains satisfaction from other's misfortunes. Particularly those whose thick money purses match the size of their arse."

Branson's voice hissed in my ear, We should have sent someone to Camelot with half a brain. I had to give him credit, his prediction of me coming face to face with some tight noble and ultimately getting myself killed might come true.

For here I was, shouting at the prince of this whole damned kingdom. And still... I couldn't give a rat's ass about who he was, not after that whole display.

     I kept my chin high and my back straight as he slowly turned to face me, a forced look of amusement pinched across his face. His mouth sat open with a smile as he flexed his jaw.

     He met my glare, but didn't response. I so desperately wanted him to responded.

     "I'm sorry, was that still too complex for you?" I asked with a smirk. "I can say it again slower if you think it might help."

     The Prince scuffed in disbelief as he parted from the group of whispering nobles. He pointed a lazy finger at me as he approached, "Did you not just see what happened to your friend? You know exactly who I am, and yet you still choose to speak to me like this?"

     I took the last few steps needed to close the distance between us and leaned into the Prince's space as he had done to Merlin. Smiling sweetly, I lifted my chin and said, "I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice- sire. If you want your subjects to respect you, I would try to show a bit more compassion. If that's too much trouble, I would recommend you grow a pair and deal with it."

     Without waiting for any sort of response, I curtsied and made for the castle.

All I could do now was enjoy my freedom before the Prince ordered my execution. I would likely have some time before I needed to skip town. I'd go north before heading back to London Town- that way I might be able to convince the others I wasn't ran out of town on my first day.

I truly shouldn't be that surprised. I had always known I would likely be killed for letting my temper get the best of me.

    I had hoped that I would be killed in a beautiful gown while undercover at a grand masquerade. Or even dressed as a rogue as we robbed some royal's carriage, dying for the people's betterment.

     Enough of that. I should find Gaius before I make any more getaway plans. The least I could do was make sure that Merlin wasn't left forgotten in some dark cell.

     Gaius won't been thrilled. I can already hear the long lecture destined in my not-so-distant future. Or was that be the cries of an angry crowd, calling for my blood?

One way or another, the daunting cloud of impending doom couldn't rid me of my stupid smile. For I had insulted the Prince of Camelot to his face. For years it had been a joke- a sarcastic joke amongst my friends. Little did we know, it tasted so much sweeter in reality than in all of our dreams combined.

✧✧✧

     Then came the lecture. Without Merlin to share the brunt of it, I sat miserably in Gaius' apothecary for what felt like hours, listening to the older man go on and on as I spun the tip of my dagger into his wooden table.

Keep your head down, he said. You're smarter than this, he chastised. Didn't your mother teach you to hold your tongue, he shouted. Just because you learned from the streets doesn't mean you have to act like it, he exclaimed.

      "You know Gaius," I interjected after letting him say what he wished. "You're right. My mother did teach me better. I know better than to insult a prince- even when the rare opportunity presents itself. I deserved this whole lecture."

     Leaning forward on my knees, I hissed, "But please, I will give you all the coins I'm carrying if you promise not to shout about the fact that I grew up a Street Rat. Most of Londinium doesn't even know that!"

     This seemed to bring the man back to his senses.

I knew that he got after me because he cared-beside the embarrassment, it was quite touching. Despite that, if I didn't manage to get myself killed, it looked like someone might.

     After the tense atmosphere in the apothecary tower settled, our duo spent the rest of the evening chatting lightly as I helped Gaius brew potions to replenish his stocks.

     Since the physician decided that it might do Merlin some good to spend the night in jail, I got a bed for the night. Even if Merlin came out having learned nothing, I was thankful that I wouldn't be waking up with a stiff back.

     Around midmorning the next day, I managed to escape the apothecary so I could explore the capital city once more. This time, I was on a mission to find temporary employment that didn't include the smell of sheep's liver, bitter herbs, or swamp gonk.

Though smaller in population, the outer city yielded several opportunities for me; including a job as an apprentice seamstress, a kitchenmaid within the castle, barmaid in several different taverns, and even as a wash for a nicer tavern near the center of the city.

     All were good options- especially the jobs within the castle- but I needed something that kept me in the city, free to come and go with ease. A job in the castle would only make my goals harder to accomplish.

     I didn't see the young girl coming around the corner until it was too late. The two of us nearly knocking heads as I tried to sidestep her. I only served to knock the poor girl's basket to the ground.

"I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed as I knelt to help her gather up her goods.

     The girl emitted a good-natured laugh as she shook her head. "It's quite alright. Wouldn't be the first time on Market Day."

She looked familiar, but I couldn't place why. She had light-brown skin, a hooked nose, and her face was framed by long dark curly hair. She was beautiful and well kept for a commoner.

"I'm sorry," The girl cleared her throat with an sheepish smile. "but I must be going."

     I blinked. How long had I been standing there trying to place her? "Oh, yes, I'm sorry- Just, I think we've met before?"

The girl's dark eyes shone with kindness despite the awkward situation. The skin around her left cheekbone was smudged faintly with dark soot.

     A loud gasp broke past my lips, startling the girl. "Gwen! You're Gwen!" I cried. "It's been years since I saw you last! You've changed so much. But, of course, I was thirteen then- so it would make sense for you to look different now."

     The girl's smile dropped for a moment as she looked me over, then a glint of recognition passed over her eyes. "Elly?"

     I nodded my head vigorously, my smile growing.

     Before I knew it, Gwen had wrapped her arms around me and laughed with joy. "I never thought I would see you again!" She said. "And look at your hair! It's gotten darker! You used to be blonde."

     I blushed and subconsciously ran my fingers over my hair- making sure the thick locks fell over my ears.

     With an unmentioned agreement, we continued on together. Gwen spoke of her father and his smithy, about Elyan who she hadn't seen in a few years, her job in the castle, and the current gossip of Camelot- that Lady Helen, a singer, was coming for the king's banquet.

I, in turn, shared what life was like living in Londinium as a commoner, how Catina was doing, and shared my own experiences of working in a forge.

     As our pair meandered through the city's roads, laughing and enjoying each other's company, we were soon sidetracked by children's laughter. Following after it, we found a group of people in a small square throwing rotten food at some sad sod in the stocks.

     I grimaced for the sorry poor lad. I, unfortunately, was quite familiar with the humility of the stocks. As a child, if I wasn't the one stuck I them, I was throwing snowballs at my friends as they shivered in the cold for a few hours.

     Making to move along, Gwen gripped my arm in excitement, halting my exit. "Wait a moment, I recognize this man. Just give me a second to speak with him."

     Without protest, I followed Gwen up to the man when the food throwing paused.

     The boy's dark hair was plastered to his head with rotten tomatoes that dripped down the planes of his face. He shook his head and tilted it back as he tried to get a particularly stubborn piece of tomato off of his chin.

     Upon seeing his pale, juice covered face, I stumbled to a stop, unable to contain my laughter. "I thought Gaius was going to get you out of jail?"

     The young warlock's eyes shot toward us. His bored expression brightened as he saw our approach.

     "He did, and in return, he figured I needed a bit of a lesson." Merlin spat out a bit of wilted lettuce that had gotten stuck on his bottom lip. "He was just by to laugh at me as well."

     I smiled mischievously, "Rather you than I."

     Gwen coughed lightly at my side, "I don't mean to interrupt." She said with a shy smile. "I'm Guinevere, but most people call me Gwen. I'm the Lady Morgana's maid."

     "Right," Merlin responded, a bit dazed. "I forgot to thank you for saving me back there."

     I cocked a brow as I looked between the two. "When was this?" I asked.

     "When you went back to give that knight the right potion, I managed to get myself lost in a woman's corridor-" Merlin's face grew red. "It's a long story. Anyways, I'm Merlin." He pushed a shackled hand out towards Gwen as best as he could. "Although most people just call me 'Idiot'"

     "No! No, no. I saw what you did!" Gwen interrupted. "You're so brave."

     "It was stupid," Merlin said.

     I picked a small piece of rotten tomato up from the ground and rubbed it into his slime covered hair. "Glad you've finally come to that conclusion. What was it? The night in jail, the rotten fruit, or the humiliation of not getting a single hit in before being pinned down?"

     Merlin gave a mocking laugh as he shook his hair out as best as he could. "Neither. It was Gaius' nagging."

     "Lucky you," I chuckled. "he got to me first. I wore him out for you."

     Gwen sighed. "I'm glad you walked away, Merlin. You weren't going to beat him."

    "I wouldn't say Merlin walked away. I, more or less, was about to drag him back by his hair when he decided he would rather let the prince take him to jail."

     Merlin scuffed, a hesitant smile on his lips. "Come on Elwyn- I could've beaten him."

     "You think?" I inquired with a small smile.

      Gwen jumped in. "Because you don't look like one of these big muscly kind of fellows."

     Merlin's smile slowly turned into an offended frown as he shifted his gaze from me to Gwen. "Thanks."

     A small burst of laughter bubbled forward as I laid a proud hand on the girl's arm. "That's very blunt of you, Gwen."

    "No! No." Gwen's eyes widened as she saw the error in her words. She looked down at her hands as a pink tint colored her cheeks. "I'm sure you're stronger than you look. It's just- Arthur's one of these real rough, tough, save-the-world kind of men and, well..."

     "I'm what?" He asked.

     "You don't look like that."

     Merlin looked Gwen up and down before motioning for her to lean in.

     "I'm in disguise," he stated. A pause laid between them before the two shared a laugh.

     "Well," said Gwen. "It's great you stood up to him."

     "You think so?" Merlin asked.

     "Arthur's a bully. And everyone thought you were a real hero."

     "Oh, yeah?"

     Gwen hummed a confirmation.

     "I'm not surprised," I said decidedly, with my hands clasped behind my back. "I've seen his type plenty of times before. Shallow, whinny," I scoffed as I looked about the square. "More like a Piggish Prince than any."

     "The Pompous Prince of Camelot." Merlin added with a jesting smile. The two of us shared a laugh as Gwen shook her head.

"I would be careful. Arthur doesn't take kindly to being called names." The girl warned.

     "You're the one who called him a bully."  I pointed out with a light chuckle.

    Gwen lifted her chin slightly, a whisper of a smile on her lips. "I was only stating the truth."

     The sound of sharp laughter interrupted our conversation as a gang of young kids parade up to the stocks, rotten fruit at the ready.

     "Excuse me, ladies," Merlin said. "My fans are waiting."

     We quickly said our goodbyes to Merlin before scurrying off; tomatoes, lettuce, and other rotting vegetables splattering behind us.

✧✧✧

"I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice- sire. If you want your subjects to respect you, I would try to show a bit more compassion. If that's too much trouble, I would recommend you grow a pair and learn to deal with it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

352K 10.6K 43
Based on Series 1 of Merlin. Blue hues dance unforgiving circles, fiercer than the deepest seas, turning golden in the wake of unforgivable fear. Th...
135K 3.1K 48
Pls do read this! It starts out bad but I get better at writing as time passes! This is a merthur one shot book it is going to be almost all fluff m...
12.4K 339 35
"It takes a village to raise a child." And when the village turns its back on said child, the child will raze it. Morgana Pendragon, Camelot's belo...
1.2K 56 7
𝓣𝓱𝓮 young princess of a long forgotten kingdom sets off in search of answers after finding an old Prophecy. Arthur Pendragon x OC Merlin BBC Sea...