Without Her

By niaa_writes

"someone to hold his finger when I leave his hand" Hardin and Tessa learn the truth about Tessa's health, whe... More

chapter 1 - drifted
chapter 2 - not again..
chapter 3 - tired
chapter 4 - something is wrong
chapter 5 - alarmed
chapter 6 - a tumor?
chapter 7 - he's here
chapter 8 - changing
chapter 9 - results
chapter 10 - need to process
chapter 11 - he would do this for me?
chapter 12 - I didn't mean it
chapter 13 - a year into this
chapter 14 - impromptu plans
chapter 15 - road trip (1)
chapter 16 - road trip (2)
chapter 17 - checking off things
chapter 19 - new year party :(:
chapter 20 - forgive me?
chapter 21 - high risk
chapter 22 - blueberry or blueberries?
chapter 23 - perfect day
chapter 24 - anything for the list
chapter 25 - flip of time
chapter 26 - losing hope
chapter 27 - unprogressive
chapter 28 - and it begins
chapter 29 - s̶k̶i̶n̶n̶y̶ d̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶
chapter 30 - all too well
chapter 31 - misfortune
chapter 32 - dramatic, isn't it?
chapter 33 - temporary
chapter 34 - everything changes
chapter 35 - at the edge
chapter 36 - without her
chapter 37 - the end
epilogue

chapter 18 - surprises

1K 66 41
By niaa_writes

Hardin's POV:

We celebrated Tessa's birthday yesterday. We don't really do birthdays but this time I tried to make it a little special for her and since we're at this trip, it already is special. We spent the day in bed. I cooked for her, well I tried to, she says she loved it but I'm not sure about it. We watched reruns of her favorite movies and shows, and somehow I got a birthday cake around here, by which she was very happy. We then went for a car ride after sunset, she shopped a little for family and friends while I took some candid pictures of her in my camera.

The best part was the sex. It used to bug me that even after being married, we don't get to spend every night together the way we want. With work, her sickness and everything, we have surprisingly reduces our pleasure activities. But this trip- we haven't been this sexually active in so fucking long and it feels so great to be back like this with her.

Anyone can tell that we're enjoying ourselves more than we'd think by the glow on our faces. We've been here for 4 days now and gone out not more than 5 times to explore the city. The rest of the time we're inside our warm villa, either fucking or cuddling and enjoying the view with loads of food.

Tomorrow we'll be travelling back home, which I hate because once I enter that city, I'll have this mental pressure of my work and we'll eventually get back to our work lives. But I've decided to take such trips more often because it's refreshing for both Tessa and I to step out of our routine, just the two of us together every second for a few days. Surprisingly we got through this trip without any argument or fight.

*11 days later- New Year's Eve*

I had a long and frustrating day at work yesterday, I even came back home late because I wanted to get over with the work before New Year's. And when I got home last night, Tessa reminded me that we have to attend the brunch Landon and Nora have invited us to.

It's 9 in the morning right now and we're on our way to Manhattan because of course my wife wanted to reach there early and help Nora with everything. I don't even have the energy to argue with her beautiful face.

She's wearing a white off shoulder top that completely reveals her neck and shoulders, with bootcut jeans and accessories which include the bracelet I gifted her on her birthday. Her beautiful hair flowing back as she has her windows rolled down. She's staring out the window, her hand supporting her face at the window. I'd never have such energy to dress up this early in the morning, so I just have a nice t-shirt I wouldn't wear daily and normal jeans on.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask and she startles from her thoughts.

"Uh- nothing" she clears her throat and gives me a quick smile before getting back to the window. Weird.

She joins Nora immediately after we reach there, they both technically run inside the kitchen after Nora hugs me and small talks. Not having a choice, I join Landon in their lounge outside. He's like a typical uncle, hanging out wearing shorts and t-shirt in the gardens lounge on a holiday whilst his wife cooks for him.

"So how's that book tour coming?" he asks, handing me a cup of coffee and taking a place in the chair beside me.

"Good" I nod and he hums something, inhaling the fresh cold air.

Ever since we found out about Tessa's disease, I have not taken even one work trip or stepped out of city without her. I have suffered some loss of contracts because of my stubbornness of not leaving for tours, but nothing is more important than her.

But this time it is mandatory for me to go on that book tour Denise has organized. She promised she would keep it short and I'll be back home within a matter of weeks but my heart just isn't agreeing with the plan of leaving her here alone.

The tour starts a week after new year's and I haven't yet told Tessa that I'm going. I did tell her that Denise was insisting but I confirmed the trip just today and I have yet to tell her. I just hope she doesn't mind, I know she won't. Even if she will, she is too kind to refuse me on my face and that's something I hate and love about her.

"We'll be meeting mom and everyone after so long tonight" he says, referring to the new year party.

"Yeah us too" I sip the coffee which is surprisingly good, not as good as Tessa's. "As much as I'm dreading the whole party thing, it'll be nice for us all to meet. It's been months, hasn't it?"

"Yeah, I am really looking forward to it" he shows off his teeth and I shake my head at his silliness.

"How's Manhattan treating you?" I ask genuinely and he takes a deep breath.

"I fucking love it" he exhales a chuckle and I join him, "It is actually better than I thought, and work is great too" he adds and I nod my head.

"Good for you man"

He mentions the group trip Tessa ate my head about too. Both Tessa and him are so similar when it comes to trying to convince me. Both of them will start stating the good things about it and won't stop with the expressions and list until I say yes, or beg them to stop. I tell him that we can definitely go after my book tour and everything. Our group trips were really fun and I don't accept it ever but I do miss them too, as much as they do.

About 30 minutes later, we're called inside and we all settle around the dining table for brunch which smells absolutely delicious.

"Hardin was talking about the group trip" Landon purposely removes this topic, giving me a side smirk while serving himself the food.

"Yeah I was talking about it" I sarcastically nod my head, and he chuckles, preparing to argue with me.

"I have to work the New Year's week because it's packed at the hotel but after that the owner gave us head staff 2 weeks holiday" Nora dances her shoulders.

"I don't think I can" I say and I hear all three of them sigh dramatically. "this month" I add, rolling my eyes.

"So when can you?" Nora asks munching her food.

"April, May, maybe" I shrug my shoulders. These first few months are really packed for me and I can not think of adding one more thing to it.

"Works for me" Nora says simply, no trace of tension in her voice. "We could go to a beach or something" she suggests and I notice both her eyes twinkle.

I turn my eyes to Tessa but unlike always, she's sitting there expressionless, eating her food plainly. Just this trip's topic has always excited her so much but today when we're finalizing things, she's sitting so blankly.

"What do you say Tessa?" Nora asks her, bringing her attention back from wherever.

"Yeah yeah, sure" she gives her a quick smile and when she notices that I'm watching her mood off, she makes her smile wider, trying to make it look like nothing is wrong.

"Spring is the best time to visit Miami" Landon chimes in and I nod, trying to think what's bothering Tessa. Is she not feeling okay?

I ask her with my eyes, 'You okay?'

She responds in the same manner. 'Absolutely. I'm fine'

'You're not looking like it'

'I am, trust me'

We're brought back by Landon snapping his fingers in front of our faces. "You can talk out loud, you know? You both always don't have to talk like this, in indications or telepathy" he shakes his head and I ignore.

After we finish our brunch and planning a few things about Miami, Tessa and I decide to leave. We all have to meet again tonight anyways so we could always continue talking there. We bid our goodbyes and drive back home, again in silence.

Tessa's POV:

I took a small nap after coming back from Landon and Nora's and finishing a few incomplete things. I woke up about 30 minutes ago, it's 8 pm now. We have to be there by 9 anyhow.

Grasping the occasion's opportunity and a chance to watch Hardin drool, I decide to wear the sleek 90's Gucci lookalike gown. It's a long black silk gown, with one side slit that opens from my knee. Completely backless, fitting perfectly on my hips supported by two thing strings around my shoulders. I can't even wear a bra in this, so I just apply the nipple patches I hoped I'd never use but I feel so pretty tonight.

I've straightened and mid parted my hair, left them open on my naked back. I didn't go heavy on makeup, just a bit highlighter, perfect lipstick and maybe a bit eyeshadow, but I am very proud of the outcome. Not too much, not too less, very new years.

Hardin walks inside the room, wearing his perfectly ironed black shirt and pants with a crisp black blazer and a black tie in his hands and I literally catch him go out of breath when his eyes lock on me. His jaw is on the ground, as he feverishly rakes his eyes up and down my body.

"Fucking lord Theresa" he gasps, his voice cracking like it does when he's turned on.

"Keep it in your pants now, we're already so late" I check the time and it's 9:30 already- getting dressed took much time than I expected.

"You- you look incredible" he scoffs bringing his hand beside my face, still raking his eyes on me. His hands travel down my bare back and he inhales a sharp breath "You're not even wearing a bra" his voice comes out lower than a whisper, like I'm torturing him somehow.

"C'mon" I feel my cheeks going hot, like they always do with his compliments and reactions.

"Just a few minutes?" he pulls me into his chest, his breathing already increased.

"No" I bite my bottom lip and he buries his face in my neck while I inhale his scent. "Please" he breathes sucking the skin of my neck a little too hard. "Hardin no" I try to calm my breath but my heartrate has already shot up with his gentle assault.

"Listen" I hold his face and detach his mouth from my skin, making him look me in the eyes. "We will have the whole night when we come back" I say slowly and he gulps, "Now we'll just have to hurry but if you wait a few hours, we can stay in bed as much as we want"

"Fine, I'll also have something to look forward to and something that will get me through this night" he rolls his eyes and kisses my lips before walking towards the bathroom.

"I have to take a piss and wear this stupid tie, you make sure you're ready to go when I come out" he says while going inside and I nod standing in front of the mirror to fix my hair after he messed it up a bit.

My phone buzzes at the dresser and Kimberly's face flashes across the screen. She's obviously calling to shout at me for being late or to complain about something.

"Kimberly" I answer and take a deep breath.

"Tessa where are you both?! Do not tell me you guys ditched us and are in a bed or something, eating each other up because I won't-"

"Kim, we are not in a bed or anything, we are all ready" I tell her and she sighs.

"Well you better get here quickly" her voice shifts to somewhat calm.

"Yes we'll be there in-" I am thrown off guard when I spot Hardin standing behind me in the mirror, shooting daggers at me.

This is one of those moments when it hits me everything is going to go downhill, it could go uphill if the gods are in my favor but I know my fate just isn't that good. This is not how I wanted it to go, I can literally see everything falling apart in this very moment.

"I'll- I'll call you back" I hang up the call and turn around to face Hardin. My heart is beating faster and the air escaping my lungs at a frightening speed.

"You're pregnant?" he holds up the positive pregnancy test in his hand.

***

Author's note-

GUYS AUHBASJKN I hope you liked it!!! How do you think Hardin is gonna react??? My favorite part of the story starts from now on and

Everyone worrying about whether I'm going to kill off Tessa, all I can say right now it do not worry. Please don't worry about it now, I'm not gonna disappoint you, just keep reading and be patient with me xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 879 49
PART 2 OF REBEL HEART. Status: COMPLETE Michelle and Brook are back in a brand new adventure with the crew! As new threats rise against them, the Ni...
629K 7.2K 43
*I can make you feel amazing Sarah... Trust me.* he whispered into my ear. *Ashton, we can't do it, you're my brother's best friend. I'm not gonna l...
25.9K 475 35
Avery is a shy girl and she has a enemy what happens when she falls for him? read and find out
1K 83 8
Casandra just wants to focus on her self and graduate from college without any distractions.... Cassandra Wilson had her life all planned out - focus...