chapter 13 - a year into this

*A year later*

Hardin's POV:

*I'm at Moo's. Be back in sometime :)* Tessa's text reads.

She has been spending awful lot of time in that damn ice-cream shop. She says it gives her serotonin. I'm just glad she has a comfort place. Marlee, the owner, and Tessa have become the best of friends somewhat.

The past year has been so... different, hectic, life-changing, tiring, and what not. Tessa's condition is thankfully stable. It does gets worse at times but we manage through it. She is so particular about her health, she never misses her sessions or meds or exercises. I am learning a lot from this too.

Both of our jobs are going great, I usually work from home and so does she. We have gotten pretty closer than we were.

Time has been flying by and Christmas is already here. On my way back home, I decide to stop by at a jewelry shop for her.

I can't give her the thing she wants so badly, but I try to give her every thing possible just to see that smile on her gorgeous face.

We haven't talked about it in months but I know how badly she wants it. She wants to grow a family but I'm afraid we can't.

It's not like I don't want kids. Ever since I had this dream once, a mini version of Tessa with us. We all were so happy and my life felt complete in that. I try so hard not to let those feelings take over. I wanted to grow a family too, with Tessa, I wanted it more than anything but I act tough because one has got to take the blame.

I am making it seem like I don't want kids but I am only acting like this just for Tessa. Just so she doesn't feel that it's because of her sickness that we aren't able to have children. I would never want her to take that guilt.

Tessa's POV:

"Thank you" I grab my cone from the person behind the counter and make my way to my table. Marlee almost named this table after me because this is my usual spot. It's in the corner, just beside the window.

Whenever I feel low, I grab one of my favorite books, and my usual order of ice-cream and just sit down in this corner. I watch the beautiful city of New York from the glass and the simple yet magnificent people passing by, going on with their life. I feel like home here, I don't know why.

It's around 9pm, I still have one more hour before they close. I take a deep breath and continue to watch outside when my eyes fall on Hardin walking down the street in this direction.

He's looking stunning as hell in that black overcoat and a black turtleneck sweater underneath. He shoves his hands into the side pockets and heads towards here. He spots me and changes his route to come this side instead of the door. He places his hand on the glass, giving me a smile, and I bring my hand to match his.

Very cliché of us, I know. But this simple moments make me fall in love harder.

He mouths that he's coming inside and I nod, waiting eagerly.

"Marlee, Buenas noches" he waves at her, wishing her good evening in Spanish. Another sexy language with the sexy accent of his, oh dear.

"Buenas noches, mi querido" she chuckles, adoring him as we walks inside towards me.

"It's freezing outside but in here it's so warm" he rubs his hand together and exhales, taking a seat in front of me after removing his coat and hanging it behind his chair.

"Good evening my dear" I greet and his eyes go wide in response of my accent and a laughter break through him.

Old him would have bickered with me about how I'm eating ice-cream in this freezing weather but now he's just used to it.