๐“๐‡๐„ ๐†๐”๐€๐‘๐ƒ๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐Ž๐…...

By Miss_Nightingale

๐“๐€๐‹๐„๐’ ๐Ž๐… ๐€๐‘๐†๐€๐๐“๐„: ๐๐Ž๐Ž๐Š ๐ˆ - ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐†๐ฎ๐š๐ซ๐๐ข๐š๐ง ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐“๐ซ๐จ๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ก๐ฎ๐ง๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ "๐‘ซ๐’†๐’”๐’•... More

๐“๐‡๐„ ๐†๐”๐€๐‘๐ƒ๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐Ž๐… ๐“๐‘๐Ž๐‹๐‹๐‡๐”๐๐“๐„๐‘๐’
๐‘ณ๐’Š๐’› ๐‘พ๐’‚๐’๐’Œ๐’†๐’“
๐‘ช๐’‚๐’”๐’• ๐‘ฉ๐’๐’‚๐’“๐’…
Episode I | Becoming: Part 1
Chapter 1 | A New Dawn
Chapter 2 | The New Student
Chapter 3 | Tracking the Amulet
Chapter 4 | New Friend, New Trollhunter
Episode II | Becoming: Part 2
Chapter 5 | Mourning
Chapter 6 | Destiny Awaits
Chapter 7 | Don't Think. Become!
Chapter 8 | Bular the Butcher
Episode III | Wherefore Art Thou, Trollhunter?
Chapter 9 | Trolls, Meet Human Trollhunter
Chapter 10 | Down for Dinner?
Chapter 11 | Training the Trollhunter
Chapter 12 | Changed Forever
Episode IV | Gnome Your Enemy
Chapter 13 | Saved By The Bell
Chapter 14 | Missing Rehearsal
Chapter 15 | First Mission
Chapter 16 | Romeo's Understudy
Episode V | Waka Chaka!
Chapter 17 | Always Be Afraid
Chapter 18 | School Field Trip
Chapter 19 | Night at the Museum
Chapter 20 | Changeling
Episode VI | Win Lose or Draal
Chapter 21 | Trouble Brewing
Chapter 23 | Rematch
Chapter 24 | Unlikely Partnership
๐‘ด๐’Š๐’…-๐‘บ๐’†๐’‚๐’”๐’๐’ ๐‘บ๐’‘๐’†๐’„๐’Š๐’‚๐’ | ๐‘ธ&๐‘จ ๐‘ช๐’๐’Ž๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐‘บ๐’๐’๐’!
Episode VII | To Catch a Changeling
Chapter 25 | The Vanishing Bridge
Chapter 26 | An Offer He Can't Refuse
Chapter 27 | Attack of the Gaggletack
Chapter 28 | Study Date
๐‘ด๐’Š๐’…-๐‘บ๐’†๐’‚๐’”๐’๐’/๐‘ญ๐’Š๐’“๐’”๐’• ๐‘จ๐’๐’๐’Š๐’—๐’†๐’“๐’”๐’‚๐’“๐’š ๐‘บ๐’‘๐’†๐’„๐’Š๐’‚๐’ | ๐‘ธ&๐‘จ
Episode VIII | Adventures in Trollsitting
Chapter 29 | Baby-napped
Chapter 30 | Undercover Babysitters
Chapter 31 | Changeling Reveal
Episode IX | Bittersweet Sixteen
Chapter 32 | Birthday Bane
Chapter 33 | Surprise Demise
Chapter 34 | Return of Romeo
Chapter 35 | Skydiving with a Stalkling
๐‘ด๐’Š๐’๐’†๐’”๐’•๐’๐’๐’† ๐‘น๐’†๐’‚๐’„๐’‰๐’†๐’… | 50๐‘ฒ ๐‘น๐’†๐’‚๐’…๐’”
Episode X | Young Atlas
Chapter 36 | Charm Crisis
Chapter 37 | Arrogance Gets You Killed
Chapter 38 | Bravery Is Not Without Fear
Chapter 39 | Adamant Oath
Episode XI | Recipe for Disaster
Chapter 40 | Bonded Revelations
Chapter 41 | Dinner Plans
Chapter 42 | Dessert or Disaster
Episode XII | Claire and Present Danger
Chapter 43 | Acknowledgement
Chapter 44 | Go Fetch
Chapter 45 | Gang of Goblins
Chapter 46 | Whistling Woe
Episode XIII | The Battle of Two Bridges
Chapter 47 | Gatekeeper
Chapter 48 | Trollhunters
Chapter 49 | The Final Act
Epilogue
๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’”๐’”๐’‚๐’“๐’š
A/N: Thank You!
๐‘ด๐’Š๐’๐’†๐’”๐’•๐’๐’๐’† ๐‘น๐’†๐’‚๐’„๐’‰๐’†๐’… | 100๐‘ฒ ๐‘น๐’†๐’‚๐’…๐’”
( ~*-*)~ ๐‘ป๐’ ๐‘ฉ๐’† ๐‘ช๐’๐’๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’–๐’†๐’…
๐๐‘๐„๐๐”๐„๐‹ - ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐๐ž๐ ๐ข๐ง๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฌ
๐๐Ž๐Ž๐Š ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐‡๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ญ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐’๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐‚๐ก๐š๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ข๐จ๐ง๐ฌ
๐‘ฌ๐’™๐’„๐’๐’–๐’”๐’Š๐’—๐’† ๐‘บ๐’๐’†๐’‚๐’Œ ๐‘ท๐’†๐’†๐’Œ
(๏พ‰'ใƒฎ')๏พ‰*: ๏ฝฅ๏พŸ๐š‚๐™ฟ๐™ธ๐™ฝ-๐™พ๐™ต๐™ต๐šœ
(โ„ โ„โ€ขโ„ฯ‰โ„โ€ขโ„ โ„)โ„ ๐™พ๐šƒ๐™ท๐™ด๐š ๐™ต๐™ฐ๐™ฝ๐™ต๐™ธ๐™ฒ ๐š‚๐™ด๐š๐™ธ๐™ด๐š‚: ๐™ฒ๐š›๐š˜๐šœ๐šœ๐š›๐š˜๐šŠ๐š๐šœ ๐š˜๐š ๐™ณ๐šŽ๐šœ๐š๐š’๐š—๐šข
(๏ฝกโ—•โ€ฟโ—•๏ฝกโœฟ) ๐‘จ๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐‘จ๐’–๐’•๐’‰๐’๐’“

Chapter 22 | The Letter

1.1K 67 24
By Miss_Nightingale

Liz Walker POV

While training Jim, Liz asked AAARRRGGHH to send Toby home for the night as it was getting late. Toby was reluctant at first, but in the end, he gave in, trusting Liz that she would escort Jim home safely while believing it to be a good time for quality bonding between the two. Unaware of Toby's wiggling eyebrows at Jim as he left with AAARRRGGHH behind her, Liz assures Jim that his best friend would be fine before resuming the rest of their training.

Another hour of training passed with Jim lying on the floor, gasping for breath as the mechanical obstacles receded to the walls and floor of the arena. Liz walked towards Jim's exhausted figure until she stood next to his head, looking down at him. "You okay there, Jim?"

Busy catching his breath, Jim could only offer a nod as his armor and sword evaporated from his form. Seeing that Jim needed a moment to collect himself, Liz sat down beside him. "You did well."

"Thanks," Jim mutters a reply. He was silent for a bit afterward until he spoke again. "I thought I was going to have to figure out how to fight Draal all on my own tomorrow, but I feel better now that I'm prepared."

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst," Liz recited by memory, remembering Kanjigar's words from long ago, but in the corner of her eye, she notices Jim frowning to himself, and she knew what he was thinking. The worst possible outcome: death. Hoping to ease his mind, Liz explains. "Don't focus too much on the worst outcome. It would only worsen your fear. Yes, fear heightens the senses and keeps you alive, but it could also keep you from reaching your full potential as the Trollhunter. To become a true Trollhunter, one must also learn to face their fear and rise above it. In every fight you come across, remember this: always be afraid, but be strong and have courage in the face of fear. It's what the last Trollhunter used to say."

Upon hearing her last words, Jim instantly thought of Draal being the son of his late predecessor and sat up with a frown. "This fight – the match between Draal and me – only one of us can live. To survive, I would have to – I don't want to – you know."

"I understand," Liz said, her brows furrowing at the thought of either Jim or Draal meeting their end by each others' hands. She knew Draal would be more than glad to finish the fight. As for Jim, his human morals may be their best chance in keeping both himself and Draal alive to the end, but she could only pray that Jim would have the upper hand to make it work. Hopefully, her last-minute training session will help tip the scales in Jim's favor. "All I can say is that if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to finish a fight, just remember that true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

As Jim absorbed her words, Liz glanced down at her watch, noticing the time. "We should go before It gets too late. You're going to need all the sleep you can get."

Standing up, she pats away the dust from her denim pants, then offers a hand to Jim. "Wouldn't want you falling asleep on your feet during the match, now do we?"

"If I did, I'd probably upset Draal even more." Jim chuckled, grabbing onto her hand. As soon as Liz pulls him up from the dusty ground with a heave, Jim stumbles forward. Quickly, she steadies him, their arms locked on one another as they stand to their full height, only to look up at each other and notice their faces inches apart. Instantly, they let go of each other, stepping back to put some distance between them.

Ignoring the flutter in her belly at the closeness, Liz remains calm and speaks up. "Alright there, champ?"

"Y-Yeah," Jim replies, rubbing the back of his flushed pink neck, chuckling nervously. "Guess you make me weak on the knees."

Liz quirks a brow at that, but a smirk spreads across her lips. "Oh? Is that so?"

Realizing what he said, Jim blushes harder and immediately waves his hands in panic. "No, no. That came out wrong. Sorry, that was – What I meant to say – "

Liz holds up a hand, making Jim pause mid-sentence.

"Say no more. It's been a long night for us and you must be tired, so let's get you home," Liz said before turning around and walking away, leaving Jim flustered than ever. Shaking his head, Jim slaps his cheeks with his palm and jogs after her. "Uh, hey! Wait up!"

Unbeknownst to Jim, Liz, too, was just as flustered as he was.

***

They were silent throughout the entire way to the Lake House until Liz decided to stop her motorbike from going further at the edge of the court road, where the residence stood. "I think this is far as I go. Don't want Barbara noticing me here late at night when I should be at home."

Pausing his bike beside her, Jim leans his foot on the ground as he glances at the brunette. "That's fine, Liz. Um, thanks again for training me tonight and getting me home safe. Though, I wish I were the one to see you home safely instead."

"No problem, Jim. Once you get your training completed, I'll let you take me home anytime." Liz said with a wink, shrugging afterward. "It would save me some gas."

Jim doesn't know whether to laugh or blush, but Liz doesn't notice as she turns her motorbike around to head back. Before she decides to speed off into the night, Liz looks over her shoulder at Jim. "If you happen to have free time, take a look at the Brief Recap book Blinky assigned to you. I know it's quite long, but it will help you in the future, no doubt. And if there's anything in there that you cannot read, use your amulet. Oh, and one more thing...." Liz revved her engine. "We forgot our rehearsal with Ms. Janeth tonight, so be ready to face her wrath when we return to school."

Instantly, Jim's face turned pale, making Liz chuckle.

"Get some sleep, Romeo. I'll see you in the morning."

Jim Lake Jr. POV

After sneaking back into his room, Jim plopped down onto his bed, his eyes gazing towards the ceiling. In his mind, he processes everything from the moment he and his best friend broke into the museum to last-minute training with Liz. Too many things have happened tonight. At first, he had Bular and his match with Draal to worry about. But after tonight, it seems there are more significant problems to deal with: the Killahead Bridge, the changeling, and the possibility of more of them walking among them. He needs to show Blinky proof that what he and his friends claimed is true. If he survives the match first, that is. Jim exhales a long, shaky breath. Guess he better start writing his farewells just in case...

As Jim sat up from bed, muscle aches coursed through his body, making him groan in pain. Slowly, he moves his right arm around, hoping to relieve some tension from his back and shoulders as it reminded him of his last-minute training session. Remembering Liz's words, he felt his anxiety over the match with Draal dim. If it were not for her, he would have been utterly restless by now, and perhaps...maybe, just maybe, he can survive through this. 

Then, he also remembers his close proximity with Liz, making Jim flush in embarrassment. Why is he reacting this way? He only met her a few weeks ago, but it feels like he knew her forever. Maybe his past feelings for his lost childhood friend are getting to him. He rapidly shakes his head. No way. I can't do this to Liz. She does not even remember her past or him.

Jim moves over to one side of the bed, his gaze wandering across his bedroom until it zeroed in on a picture frame displayed on his bookshelf. Getting up from the bed, he makes his way toward it. Looking at it closely, he notices the layer of dust disturbed on its glass surface as though someone had picked it up recently. Maybe it was his mom.

Carefully, Jim removes the frame from the shelf, wiping the entire surface to reveal the picture underneath, and his mouth turns into a soft smile. He remembered how this picture was taken. It was the last picture taken of them together before – his smile droops slightly – his father left, and Lizzie and her parents went on their weekend picnic trip, never to be seen again. But now, Lizzie - Liz, he corrected himself - has returned, but she doesn't remember the past.

Jim releases a sad sigh, placing the picture frame back in its original spot. He stood there, staring at the picture for a silent moment, his hands gradually clenched against his sides as a thought came to mind. He should tell her. It's the least he could do. After all, he did promise to help recover her memories.

Then, with a small nod, he heads over to his desk and begins to write his letters.

***

Morning finally came as indistinct voices echo across the Hero's Forge as trolls gather into the arena, their heavy footsteps trembling the ground as they make their way to the enclosed balconies.

Gazing at the crowd from behind a wooden gate, Jim mindlessly fidgets his hands. Hearing the crinkle of paper, he looks down and notices the envelope wrinkled in his hands. Attempting to straighten it, he glances at the name labeled on the front and looks up at its owner a few feet away from him as she stands with arms crossed over her chest, her eyes staring out at the crowd.

Taking a deep breath to calm the nerves, Jim pockets the letter and walks over to Liz. Noticing his approach, she relaxes her arms against her sides and smiles. "Are you ready, Jim?"

Stopping beside her, he shrugs but offers a smile of his own. "Ready as I'll ever be."

She nods. "Just remember everything Blink and I taught you and apply them when you're out there. Draal may have the most fighting experience, but there are some things he lacks."

"Like the amulet?" Jim answered with a small grin. Liz chuckles, rolling her eyes playfully. "Obviously, Trollhunter. What else?"

"Patience? Humility? His sense of—" Jim began listing. Raising a hand, Liz stops him. "Okay, I'll stop you there. Those are correct, but there's one thing that is most important."

"And what is that?" Jim asked her. Then to his surprise, Liz steps closer to him. His breath caught in his throat when she hovers a hand over his chest, where his fast-beating heart lies beneath undetected as she finally answers. "A human heart."

"A...human...heart?" Jim repeated breathlessly. Liz nods, withdrawing her hand from over his chest as Jim suddenly finds himself breathing again.

"Yeah. It is said that a true hero is measured by not the size of his strength but by the strength of his heart. That is why you were chosen, Trollhunter. Not because of your strength, but because of your heart, Jim. That is the difference between you and Draal. That is your key to winning."

Strength of the heart. Jim repeated to himself, absorbing her words. So it wasn't a coincidence. He wasn't chosen because he was there at the right place and time. He was chosen because he has what it takes.

"Exactly." Liz's voice pops in, jarring him from his thoughts as he realizes he spoke them aloud.

"I'm glad to hear that." Jim rubs the back of his flushed neck. "I've been thinking whether or not I have what it takes to win – to be a Trollhunter."

"You do have it. You just have to see it in yourself, as I see in you." A faint blush crosses over her cheeks a second later before she corrects herself, gesturing to the gang behind them, who are busy talking amongst themselves. "I mean as we see in you."

Jim smiles at her flushed reaction, taking solace in her words. "I think I just might."

Liz's turquoise eyes fell from his gaze, hiding behind long dark lashes when something caught her eyes. "What's that?"

He looks down and notices a white corner of an envelope sticking out from his jacket pocket. Taking it out, he straightens out the wrinkles before handing the letter to Liz. "This is for you."

Liz analyzes her name written across the envelope before looking up at Jim. "What is this for?"

"It says everything I want to say and — remember when I said that I would help you recover your memories?" Jim asked. Liz nodded slowly, a look of confusion settling across her beautiful face. He sighs, continuing. "The answers. It's all in there."

Liz blinks, seemingly trying to process his words. "I-I don't understand. The answers? To my memories? How would you –"

"I know it sounds confusing, but just in case I don't make it, at least I wrote what I know," Jim responds, rubbing the back of his neck.

"What you know...." Liz repeated nonchalantly. Jim waited, observing her, feeling the wheels turning in her head as he wondered what could be going through her mind. Did she realize that perhaps he knew her in the past? Does she find him familiar somehow? Is she upset with him for not saying anything to her until now?

"Liz, I – " Jim began.

"Gathered trollkind!" Boomed Vendel from the enclosed balcony above, interrupting him. "The Trollhunter has laid a challenge before the son of his predecessor, and you shall bear witness to the ensuing battle, which will be one for the ages."

The audience applauds loudly across the Hero's Forge, the battle soon in their midst. Jim shudders slightly, then takes a small step backward. "I-I gotta go. I need to give something to Toby."

Before Jim could entirely turn around, he felt a hand grasp onto his wrist, making him pause. Confused, he glances back at Liz, who looks up at him with a determined gaze. "You promised me you'll help me with my memories, and since you said you have the answers, then I'd rather hear it from you personally."

"But Liz, what if I – " Jim started, but Liz raised a hand to stop him. "I believe in you, Jim. You can do this. Just promise me that when you're out there, you will believe in yourself and fight with your heart, okay? Promise, Jim?"

A little girl's voice echoes in his mind. "Promise, Jimmy?"

Not wanting to let her down, Jim nodded with a small smile. 

"Promise, Lizzie."

Readers' Question: How late do you sleep at night?

Also, please don't forget to vote or comment if you liked this chapter. I would love to hear what you all think. Happy reading!

- Miss_Nightingale

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7K 384 28
Following the events Trollhunters: The Written Future Watching their show Fanfic Watching 3Below React Series ALL RIGHTS GO TO DREAMWORKS -- Life...
64.5K 1.7K 25
Your name is Y/N and you have a job as a reporter.You go to Arcadia Oaks high school along with your best friend Hannah. One day you come across a pu...
3.4K 105 7
[๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ฉ๐™ช๐™จ: INCOMPLETE. ongoing, slow updates !] ๐”๐๐Ž๐‘๐“๐‡๐Ž๐ƒ๐Ž๐— โ”โ” "I'M THE BEST OF THE BEST EARTHEN WITCHES EVER! DON'T YOU JERKS EVER FORG...
100K 3.1K 75
(originally) tales of Arcadia: Trollhunters x male reader Y/N is the older brother of jim, but also the Eternal Knight, a servant/slave to morgana...