Chapter 43 | Acknowledgement

For the first time, Liz was at a complete loss for words. So he knows.

She stared at Jim in surprise, her expression reflecting in his clear blue gaze when he asked softly, "Why didn't you tell me that you remembered, Lizzie?"

Hearing her old nickname on his lips, Liz blushed as she struggled to speak. "I-I–didn't think you would believe me if I had told you."

"Are you kidding me?" Jim said, making Liz flinch slightly. Then, to her astonishment, he laughed, shaking his head. "I've wanted to tell you everything since you last had dinner with Mom and me, but it was hard to tell you with everything that's been going on."

"What?" Liz blinked in confusion at first but then began recalling the multiple attempts that Jim had made in the past —

"Hey, Liz. I have a question."

"What is it?" Liz asked, continuing with her homework. Jim continues. "Have you ever thought about looking into your past and recovering your memories? If you did, would you search for them since you've returned to Arcadia?"

Liz's head slowly lifts at the question, her turquoise eyes gazing back onto the screen. "That's more than one question you just asked. But anyway, I have always thought about it. Constantly, I might add. I guess I've been so focused on helping you become the Trollhunter, adjusting to school, practicing for the play, and working to pay rent that I didn't have time to act on it since my return."

"Sounds like I'm not the only one struggling to keep up with two lives," Jim responded, happy to hear that Liz had considered recovering her memories. Now, he just has to help her recover them. "If you want, I can help you get your memories back."

Eyebrows raised in surprise at his offer, Liz asks. "You would do that for me?"

"Of course, I would. You're already helping me with training and studying for my exam. It's the least that I could do for you."

"Wow, that's...that's really great. I appreciate that. Thanks, Jim."

"Anytime, Liz."

Liz analyzes her name written across the envelope before looking up at Jim. "What is this for?"

"It says everything I want to say and — remember when I said I would help you recover your memories?" Jim asked. Liz nodded slowly, a look of confusion settling across her beautiful face. He sighs, continuing. "The answers. It's all in there."

Liz blinks, seemingly trying to process his words. "I-I don't understand. The answers? To my memories? How would you –"

"I know it sounds confusing, but just in case I don't make it, at least I wrote what I know," Jim responds, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I–I should have told you earlier since the moment I first saw you in class, but I wasn't sure until I got to know you a little more. Until I know for sure that you– that you're her."

"Her? I don't understand, Jim. Who is this you are referring to, and what does she have to do with my past?"

"After all this time..." Liz said breathlessly, shaking her head. "You knew?"

Jim shrugged his shoulders, rubbing the back of his neck once more. "Yeah. Since the moment I laid eyes on you on your first day of class. Even if you couldn't remember your past, without a doubt, I knew that you were her – that you are Lizzie."