It All Started With The Butte...

By Cyberspace_Girl

The sky couldn't be seen from the dining room window. All that could be seen was the millions of pearly white... More

Chapter 1
Author's Note
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Cast of Characters
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82

Chapter 25

82 55 25
By Cyberspace_Girl

Chapter 25: Soulmates

My eyes fluttered open, but I immediately shut them again. My head was pounding. I groaned. It felt as if my brain was trying to break out of my skull. My mouth was dry, and my breath tasted funny, stale. I groaned and pulled the duvet over my head, only to have it gingerly ripped away again.

"You ok?" Caspian sat next to me. He was wearing a white T-shirt with a grey shark on it, its large teeth ready to eat me up.

"Caspian?" I tried to sit up.

"I'm glad to see you remember my name," he chuckled.

"What happened?" I rubbed my eyes.

"It's better if you don't remember." He handed me a glass of water and an Aspirin.

I popped the tablet into my mouth and waited for it to work. "What did I do?" I moaned, recollections of dancing on a stage making their way into my mind. "I don't even remember having any alcohol." I tried to recall what I had consumed, but the only thing I could remember was a cherry soda.

"Is there alcohol in cherry soda?" I asked Caspian.

"Maddie, it's a soda." He took the empty crystal glass out of my hand.

"I didn't drink," I tried to convince him.

"I didn't think you did," he replied. The sun streamed in through the windows, making him look like a Greek god.

"He spiked my drink?" I asked.

"Probably," Caspian confirmed. "But who was he?"

"Why? Were you jealous?" I enquired, trying to read his expression. I expected him to outright deny his jealousy.

"Of course I was." His blue eyes met my brown ones. "The girl I love was all over some dude who, might I add, was an absolute..." his voice trailed off. I was grateful I didn't have to hear him cuss.

"It was a double date. Chrissie..." I stopped. "Is Chrissie ok?" I asked, not remembering if she had left with Caspian and me.

"She called," Caspian explained. "I told her you were safe with me."

"Did she argue with you?" I enquired.

"I didn't give her a chance. I cut the call after I had said my bit."

Chrissie was safe enough to phone me, that was enough for now. I hoped that after last night, Chrissie would think twice about throwing herself at the first guy she saw. Especially if the guy was significantly older than her.

My migraine was beginning to subside, and I was able to take in my surroundings. The room was painted black, which was weird even for a boy's room. It was spacious, with enough place for a wooden desk, two pedestals and a large steel cupboard. The bed was massive: it looked like it could fit about five people.

"Where am I?" I enquired.

"My room," Caspian clarified.

The room was neat and devoid of any unnecessary possessions. All I could see was a couple of cans of deodorant, a bottle of shampoo and a pair of jeans that hung over a chair; nothing else that said anything about his personality or character.

"Your parents?" I asked, wondering about mine at the same time. Had they figured out I had lied?

"You're in Stinger headquarters." Caspian helped me stand up. "The new recruits stay here, until training is finished."

"I thought you were already with them for like a year."

"Training is three years."

"Almost as bad as high school," I joked. "Do your friends know I'm here?"

Caspian shook his head.

"Ok." I hoped I wouldn't have to climb out of a window or anything like that. "So?" I looked to Caspian for further instruction. "How do I get out?"

"You can head out through the front door," he suggested. "It's Saturday, everyone sleeps in."

I walked towards the door. "Thanks so much." I wasn't entirely sure what else to say.

Caspian gravely nodded his head.

"One more thing, how did you know where I was?" I enquired, out of sheer curiosity.

"Someone saw you and told me my girl was with another man," Caspian replied.

"Who?" I asked. I didn't know Caspian had told anyone about our short-lived relationship.

"Doesn't matter," Caspian replied, turning his face away from me. "I shouldn't have come anyway, you're not my girl anymore."

"You wish you hadn't come." I tried to keep my voice low, but I wasn't very successful.

"That's not what I..."

I didn't give him a chance to finish. I flung the door open, only to meet a pair of piercing green eyes. "Oh, my giddy aunt," a woman before me exclaimed, with her hands on her hips. She was not someone I expected to be a Stinger. She wore a long floral dress with off-shoulder sleeves. Her salt and pepper hair was braided and settled on one of her shoulders. Permanent wrinkles veined her cheeks. Her mouth was bare of any lipstick, and was cracked and dry. She was old, maybe in her late forties. She looked like she was strict. While I was examining her, she was doing the same to me.

"Morning," I greeted.

"And who might you be?" she asked, not returning my greeting.

"Madelyn Cote." I should not have given my real name, since we were in a gang's headquarters. Oh well, too late.

"Cote?" She seemed to jump back a bit. It seemed like she had recognised my surname and was shocked at hearing it.

I nodded my head.

"Cote," she repeated, her green eyes wide.

"She was just leaving." Caspian put a hand on my shoulder, lightly pushing me past the old lady.

"Who was that?" I asked Caspian.

"Victoria," he replied.

"I need to ask her about my brother." I looked over my shoulder; Victoria was making her way down the hall. It was only a couple of seconds before she disappeared into one of the many rooms, each marked with a large oak door.

"No," Caspian very plainly stated, tightening his grip on my arm.

I was in no mood to beg. I was grateful to Caspian for saving me last night, but he had no right to tell me what to do. Plus, he regretted rescuing me. I brought my foot down onto his, digging my flimsy sandals into his sneakers. It wasn't enough to even slightly hurt him, but it was enough to shock him into releasing me.

I ran in the direction Victoria had gone. I was about to yell out her name, but was stopped by a hand on my mouth.

"You're going to get yourself killed," Caspian hissed into my ear.

I brought my teeth down into the flesh of his palm. Without making a sound, he pulled his hand away from my mouth and put pressure on it to stop the bleeding. His hand wasn't the only thing bleeding. My heart bled as well, I never wanted to hurt him. Tears threatened to spill as I swiped my sleeve across my eyes.

"Why don't you see if Amber will bandage it up?" I harshly suggested. Great, now I was the jealous ex; but technically he was a jealous ex as well. He was the one who came running when he found out I was with another guy. It kind of made sense for both of us to get back together, just for a little bit. I still didn't believe that we were endgame, but it couldn't hurt to be his girlfriend for just a wee bit longer. But I wasn't going to suggest it, especially not when I had just bit him.

I stood there looking at Caspian's bloody hand. I wasn't sure what to do with myself. I walked past him and proceeded towards the exit, since I was too dispirited to talk to Victoria. This place was like a cage with metal walls and barely any windows.

"What the hell happened to you?" a gruff male voice asked.

I turned my head away from the voice. He could help Caspian, whoever he was.

"I chopped my hand off," Caspian told him, with no humour in his voice.

"I bit him." I spoke without thinking and turned to look at the newcomer.

To my surprise a tall, bulky man burst into laughter, which only made me burst into fits of tears. He had chestnut-toned skin, with a black beard that covered half of his face. His eyes were black and mysterious. He wore a plain, white T-shirt with sweatpants. He was clutching his stomach when he walked up to Caspian.

"It's just a scratch." He took Caspian's hand in his. "Hey, Madelyn," The stranger smiled at me.

"Hi." I dried my tears, wondering how he knew my name. "I'm sorry," I apologised to Caspian.

"It's ok." Caspian didn't meet my eyes. I longed to look into his ocean eyes and longed to press my lips to his.

"I should leave," I decided, not wanting to cause anyone more trouble.

"I'm so sorry about Asher." The stranger ignored my suggestion.

"You knew my brother?"

"That's why I sent Caspian after you, when I saw you with a man that looked like he wanted to..." his voice trailed off.

Who was he? Was it rude to ask, now that we were in the middle of a conversation? I should have asked when he said my name.

"I'll never forgive you for that, Lewis," Caspian muttered.

"Aren't you glad you saved your girl?" Lewis winked at me. I squirmed, hoping Caspian didn't confess that he regretted it.

"She's not my girl." Caspian looked at me. I tried to keep my face expressionless.

"I don't know. It looks like the two of you are made for each other." Lewis shrugged and began walking away, taking long strides.

"I wonder how he knew my brother," I thought out loud.

"Oh boy," Caspian mumbled. "Here we go again."

I glared at him and he held up his hands in defeat.

"You know you kissed me last night?" Caspian looked down at the floor. I wasn't sure if it was a question or not, so I remained mute. "You kissed me long and hard, just like old times." He slowly wet his lips.

"I really am sorry for biting you," I stated, trying to escape this uncomfortable conversation.

"I know you are." Caspian moved closer to me and I started moving backwards. I looked at his hand that was still red, but it didn't look like any new blood was surfacing.

"Are you saying we should get back together?" I gulped. I couldn't kiss him now, I had morning breath.

"When did I say that?"

My back hit something hard and rough, the wall. I had nowhere to go.

"Lewis was right, we are soulmates," he grinned, his blue eyes swimming with emotion.

He waited for me to say something, but I didn't succumb. I kept my lips sealed.

"Let's just forget about the fight," he breathed on me. His hands were against the wall on either side of me, holding me captive. His face was inches away from mine. "Let's solve this mystery together." My face fell, he wasn't talking about our relationship. "And if we kiss every time we get a new piece of evidence, well, who cares?" He finished speaking and waited for my verdict. "I want to call you mine, Maddie."

I nodded my head and closed my eyes. Waiting. Nothing happened. I reluctantly popped my eyes open.

Caspian's eyes met mine. "Waiting for something?" he whispered into my ear.

"I can't get out," I lamely stated, gesturing towards his hands.

Caspian ignored me. Instead he pressed his lips against mine, with a ferociousness that caused me to gasp. He gathered my body into his. I marveled at how perfectly our bodies fit together, like puzzle pieces, as cliche as that sounds. Caspian's lips parted against mine. His hands sunk into my hair, I didn't even care about the blood that stained his hands. I clutched a fistful of his shirt, causing it to crease.

"I missed this," I told him, pulling away. No one had ever made me feel like this before, and I highly doubted anyone else could. Maybe we were soulmates after all.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 610 19
Rumors. Infidelity. Lies. Secrets. MURDER. And all before lunch time. Who knew being a socialite in 1951 could be so thrilling? ~~~ On a lovely June...
Daniella Rose By Lexi

Mystery / Thriller

5.9K 506 50
In the quaint cottage town of Red Grove, Daniella 'Rose' Elliott longs to escape her miserable life and pursue a brighter future. Yet, her dreams are...
802 39 13
This book is for all the girls who want to be an angel in the street but a hellion beneath the sheet. Prepared to be treated like a good girl, but fu...
112K 2.4K 24
He loved me, He loved me not He loved me, but not, in the way I needed him to say. "When you lose someone who use to be your everything it's like...