A Tender Kiss Could End A War...

By BeautyScriven

{NOVEL PREVIOUSLY NAMED: "PALE EYES"} 𑁍Julius Cadwell is a pauper from an impoverished village, Porlock of S... More

Author's Note/Cast List
Playlist ♪
Prologue
||One||-›The Arrival
||Two||-›Blind Boy?
||Three||-›The Brute
||Four||-›Le stratagème
||Five||-›Footman
||Six||-›Gulliver's Travels
||Seven||-›Drudgery
||Eight||-›Réfléchir
||Nine||-›Truce?
||Ten||-›Duke
||Eleven||-›Reuben (I)
||Twelve||-› Reuben(II)1⁄2
||Thirteen||-› Reuben(II)2⁄2
||Fourteen||-›Opium Den/Debauchery
||Fifteen||-›Miracles and Medallions
||Sixteen||-›Enlightenment
||Seventeen||-›A Privy Place
||Eighteenꨄ︎||-›Apple Seed
||Nineteen||-›Elizabeth
||Twenty||-› Reacquainted
||Twenty One||-›Clement Chapman
||Twenty Twoꨄ︎||-›Reverie
||Twenty Three||-›Soirée
||Twenty Four||-› Hugh Greenwood
||Twenty Five||-›L'arrivée
||Twenty Six||-› Grand Ball
||Twenty Seven||-›Indulging In Desires
||Twenty Eight||-›Lovers' Kiss(Divine)
||Twenty Nine||-›Sogno Ad Occhi Aperti
||Thirty||-›Presage
||Thirty Oneꨄ︎||-›Sub Rosa
||Thirty Two||-›The Perished Lady
||Thirty Four||-›Revertitur
||Thirty Five||-›Bazaar
||Thirty Six||-›Supplication
||Thirty Seven||-›Julius Cadwell
A Tender Kiss Could End A War
||Thirty Eightꨄ︎||-›Ache
||Thirty Nine||-›Typhus
||Fourty||-›Remiss
||Fourty One||-›Adorior

||Thirty Three||-›Departure

212 25 24
By BeautyScriven

dedicated to itsVelBiches & nihilari_an

❝There was no leaf upon the forest bare,
No flower upon the ground,
And little motion in the air
Except the mill-wheel's sound.❞

•Percy Bysshe Shelley.

Journeys can be scarring...

Worker's Quarter ꨄ︎

Eliza engulfed Julius in a tight embrace. Her heavy bust pressed almost painfully at his chest as her tears wet his clothed shoulder.

"I'll miss you greatly," she sobbed.

"I shall miss you too," Julius awkwardly reciprocated her hug. He was not holding her as tightly.

"That's quite enough," feigning annoyance, Ferguson pried the clinging scullery maid away from Julius.

"Do not be unkind, he is a dear friend," Eliza whined with a hiccup.

"Oh dear," Bartholomew scoffed.

Julius and the other three temporary workers to leave were surrounded by the other footmen and maids.

"Where is your house located in North Porlock, humph? I'll pay you a visit," Ferguson attempted to jest, but his sad smile betrayed his endeavour. "Don't look too down, be glad you get to travel about. Folks like me have been trapped in one town since the day we were born."

Julius could only afford a nod. He was cautious about how ruined he might sound if he were to speak.

"I won't deny it, I'll miss you and your oafish ways," Ferguson teased with a sad laugh and a gentle tap on Julius' shoulder.

"You will be missed, Julius," Batholomew agreed, barely meaning it. 

"I'll miss you as well," Julius' friend-foe, Morris, chimed in. "Who else has the ability to gain anonymous clothing from wealthy folks."

Julius' eyes landed on Rebekah, she was standing in front of a double flapping door. She quickly averted her gaze when she caught him staring. His heart sunk at the display.

Madame Marian walked in then, gaining the attention of everyone. "I am sure they have been showered with your well wishes but I must escort them to the iron gate, two carriages are present as we speak."

"Rebekah, won't you say your goodbyes?" Ferguson suddenly called.

"Of course," Rebekah nodded in agreement.

Julius' heart pounded and his breath hitched in his throat.

Rebekah slowly walked towards Julius till their faces were barely apart.  She paused, staring at him attentively. Suddenly, she held onto him and engulfed him in a gentle embrace.

Julius whimpered, breath shattering in his chest as confusion flooded his being. He wanted to sob in relief at the fact that one of his only good friends in Wellington did not completely loath him, or so he hoped. 

"I'll miss you," she mumbled, sounding as one on the verge of tears.

"Do you mean it?" Julius could not help but ask. He feared what was happening in her mind, what she was thinking. Was this mockery?

Rebekah simply nodded, her chin bunching his clothed shoulder.

"Will you not tell him of your departure? Will you leave without telling master Reuben?" Rebekah whispered to him.

Julius tensed, fear quickly rising in him. His heart throbbed. "W-Why would I? He wouldn't care," he lied.

Rebekah pulled away then. She stared into his eyes with an odd sadness.

"Rebekah, we know he is your dearest lover but please allow him leave," Bartholomew teased. Pulling both Julius and Rebekah from the formless world they briefly found themselves.

"Do you not know when to zip it," Ferguson countered, unamused. He knew how dear of a friend Julius was to Rebekah.

"Bartholomew, do not speak such nonsense, only the wedded can be lovers," Marian easily chimed in. "If that will be all your farewells then we will be on our way."

Julius gave Rebekah a final glance. She glanced at him in return.

~~~~

The sky was becoming a dull grey, signalling an impending rainfall.

"Mr Julius!"

Julius placed down his trunk at the odd sound of Hugh shouting. The brunette lad trotted to him.

"Hugh, Julius must leave now, his carriage awaits and the rain will begin to fall soon," Marian chastised.

"Please allow me a minute with him," Hugh pleaded.

Madame Marian looked reluctant.

"Please," he repeated with an expression that was difficult for anyone not to agree with.

"The others and I will be on our way. Julius make sure to follow soon," Marian offered with a sigh.

Hugh noded in a grateful stance.

"I wanted to grant you my farewell before you left to your village," Hugh looked like he wanted to touch Julius but quickly stopped himself.

Noticing, Julius placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Goodbye, Hugh."

Hugh's eyes seemed to water as he stared at the hand on his shoulder. "I promise to do as I said, I'll take care of apple seed and keep him away," Hugh whispered.

Julius' heart squeezed in his chest, he deviated. "I never got to ask. You are a recent worker yet you get to stay behind, how come?"

"Madame Marian is good friends with my Mother and since I live in Wellington, Marian allowed me to stay. If it wasn't for you then I would not have wanted to work here in the first place so thank you," Hugh shyly confessed.

"I'm happy for you, Hugh."

Wellington Estate ꨄ︎

Julius and Cornelius' belongings were loaded into the carriage, and soon it began to pull its way out of the Wellington estate.

Julius stared out of the window as the carriage began to move. He stared back at the manor, eyes lingering over the vertically adorned and entwined boston ivy on the grey walls till the building grew smaller and smaller as they moved further along. The carriage rocked as the wheel bumped over the cobbled street.

The sky was gloomy with rain now falling in a gentle pitter-patter. It was surely befitting for the occasion. Julius fished into the pocket of his breeches for his wallet. He examined the farthings and halfpences he had made over the time he worked for Lord Alfred. If he was clever with it then he could become a well off vendor. He did not want to think of his dreams as a lecturer, for he always knew it was an impossibility.

"I know you will miss Wellington, but take comfort in the knowledge that your family are happy to have you back in Porlock with them. Even if you plan to find a job that wouldn't allow you to stay in the same building as them, they will still be glad to have you in the same village, where you can visit your little sister. Little Rosina is truly the prettiest little girl in England," Mr Francis, who was seated beside Julius comforted. The man was just like his elder sister, Marian. They always believed they knew what others were thinking.

Julius nodded. Leaving Wellington would not have been dreadful if it wasn't for the fact that he was leaving Reuben behind, especially without a farewell and in such distaste. His heart ached unbearably. He found himself blinking frequently to not have himself burst into tears in the carriage. 

The carriage came to an abrupt halt just as they approached the iron gates. The three men lurched in their seats. Julius almost crashed into Cornelius.

"What's the matter? Do you want us to bust our knees!" Mr Francis peeked his head out of the window.

"Do not yell at me for the gate guards instructed I stop," the hot-tempered coachman countered.

"And could you not do so without having us bounce about in our seats?!"

Their banter was soon drowned out by the gradually intensifying sound of a horse galloping towards them. 

A handsome man donned in a red cloak appeared. "Does this carriage contain Mr Cadwell?" The man on the horse performing a piaffe inquired. His face squeezed as the rain drizzled on him.

"It is I," Julius peeked his head out in confusion.

"The Duchess has asked for you to return to the manor. She wishes to meet you at the drawing-room."

Julius' heart picked up pace. "W-Was the Duchess in bad temper?" Julius asked.

"I have no knowledge on that," the man offered with a frown.

Julius looked to Mr Francis like a lost child. The older man seemed distraught himself.

"Bad luck," the other man in the carriage mumbled.

"Do not fret, I am sure nothing is the matter," Mr Francis began, "I'll take Cornelius to Minehead. Write to me as soon as you are able to. I'll have my carriage back in a week or two if needed. I'll tell your parents about the happenings."

Julius absentmindedly nodded. He then looked back at the man in the cloak who seemed to hold no emotion in his eyes.

 "The Duchess awaits."

☘︎☘︎☘︎☘︎

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

King's Guard By kara

General Fiction

2.6M 108K 47
"Why are you staring at me like that?" "Like what?" "Like you want to tear off my clothes." "And what if I do?" ~~~ Kingsley didn't believe in love...
2M 69.5K 39
"Sorry, Sir! I'm really sorry!" The small figure apologised repeatedly as he stood frozen in his spot. "It's alright. Are you okay?" I stared down in...
255K 13.1K 83
Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As their bond grows stronger, they will do w...
245K 9.4K 44
Book 1 of the supernatural world series "Hey! Get down you may slip and die!!" . . "Don't worry about me I'm already dead!" _____ An ancient vampire...