Mark of the Firefly (Tsukkiya...

Galing kay MementoMoriendum

Nothing much of interest ever happens in Yamaguchi's little scrap town on the outskirts of the habitable cont... Higit pa

The Storm
Reckless Company
Lying in Wait
Escapades of a Gambler
The Nekarasi
Looking Up
Of Research and Picking Locks
The Way to Tauveriin
Firefly in a Jar
Fly, You Fools
Espionage in a Box
Nighttime Synergy
Widowmaker's Gulch
Rest and Recovery
To Haibuichi
A Deal Finalized

Trespassing on Empirical Property

24 5 2
Galing kay MementoMoriendum

The massive train station was beautiful even in the darkness of night; it was perhaps the most impressive piece of architectural infrastructure Yamaguchi had ever seen. Despite the time, the platform was well-lit, with constantly burning lanterns of brass and translucent white glass strung out under the roof like flickering stars. The roof itself was another wonder, entirely made of multicolor stained glass in hues of deep blue and purple; the light surely looked stunning in the daytime. The floor was made of perfectly polished marble, and the walls were a sturdy dark wood, something expensive that Yamaguchi did not recognize. The entire thing instilled him with a sense of splendor and grandeur that made him feel incredibly small and insignificant.

There was no time to muse upon the futility of human existence, however, as Bokuto quickly ushered them off the train. Each one of them, Kageyama, Yamaguchi, Tsukishima, Yachi, and Hinata, who had insisted on tagging along for 'safety reasons', had been given a good winter cloak, simple enough for them to pass as plain workers and to hide their faces from anyone on the lookout for their band of barely-adults. The Nekarasi could stay for no longer than two days before they had to leave again; Yamaguchi hoped that he, Kageyama, and Hinata would be able to make it back in time, otherwise they would have to have Hinata fly them out, and Yamaguchi wasn't all that fond of the last flying trip the redhead had taken him on.

The city, much like its entry station, was absolutely beautiful, down to the last detail. Granted, they were in the wealthy part of the city, but these places rarely had a true poor section, at least not the kind of poor Yamaguchi was accustomed to. The streets were paved with clean and uncracked cobblestone. There was even a marked-off section for pedestrians to safely walk on, a notable difference from Tauveriin where they had needed to dodge the horse carts. On the topic of locomotion, the people of Haibuichi were evidently wealthy enough to afford automated vehicles. Shiny automobiles in black, blue, and the occasional dark green or red, frequented the street in equal numbers as the horse-drawn carriages, which themselves were of extravagant make. The buildings were, in many places, tall, built mostly of stone, and covered in beautiful vines. Where there weren't homes and businesses, there were green spaces, areas of moss and grass, full of both evergreens and what were likely flowering trees. Even in the dead season of winter, it was a beautiful sight. The way was lit by street lamps, of the same fashion as in the train station, and while the stars were dimmer in the city than in the outskirts, the air was the cleanest thing Yamaguchi had ever breathed. Even Yachi, who had grown up in the Firefly Empire, seemed speechless at the city's glory.

Slightly tainting the exotic beauty were the guards at every corner. The city was absolutely crawling with them, all walking ramrod with perfect posture and dressed in their black and moon-yellow regalia. They were not so outwardly hostile to civilians as Ticks were, but it didn't take a genius to tell they were on edge. The, surprisingly many, citizens out and about also seemed jumpy: they glanced to and fro and veered away from strangers. Their faces remained mostly calm and pleasant, but their eyes betrayed the subtly creeping fear felt by the masses. Yamaguchi was sure that their group, consisting of three tall men, dressed in hooded cloaks did little to ease the wealthy people of the city. Still, they made sure to keep their pace leisurely and unhurried so as to not raise any suspicion. The last thing anyone needed was to be arrested by the very people they sought to protect.

Finally, after a good forty-five minutes of deliberately casual strolling, they got their first, to everyone but Tsukishima, glimpse of the palace. It loomed over the city, illuminated at one end and casting a great shadow on the other: an ostentatious display of wealth and power. There had to have been at least seven levels, even more in the higher parts, built up with dark wood and whitewashed stone. The sloping and upturned roof wore elaborate garb of gold and copper, stained green by time, with gargoyle-Esque statuettes at each corner, ever watching. Vines of many varieties crept up the siding and dangled off the roof and parapets. Beyond the walls, Yamaguchi could see the skeletal frame of winter-dead trees, positioned perfectly to provide shade in the hot days of summer. Columns inlaid with gold and perfectly painted details lined courtyards and open-air corridors. Nearly every window had been blessed with a generously sized balcony, kept safe by perfectly polished brass railings. The sprawling building seemed as if it had been pulled directly from a storybook; if someone had asked Yamaguchi to describe what he thought a royal palace would look like, his imagining wouldn't have even been half as magnificent as the Firefly Palace.

Right to the left of the glorious building was a well-kept, although sparsely vegetated, green space that Tsukishima said to be the public gardens. There, Hinata split from the group and expertly clambered up into the tallest spruce tree he could find. He would wait there as backup; in case anything went awry, they agreed to run to an open area where he was to fly them out and to safety. If the plan worked out, as they hoped it would, then Hinata could take Kageyama and Yamaguchi back to the Nekarasi, assuming it would already be gone. Hinata was also the only one of them who could stand to stay out all night in the freezing cold of winter, him being a Kamelion and all.

With Hinata in his position, Kei and Yachi led them out to the back of the palace, the servant's entrance by the stables, which was still mostly unguarded and easy to sneak into with the right knowledge, which Tsukishima had. The servant's corridors were sturdy but had clearly been built for the sake of convenience over aesthetics. The walls and ceiling were close and made mostly of unpolished stone, lit only by hanging lanterns coated in a fine layer of dust. The three boys all had to stoop over somewhat as to not scrape their heads on said lanterns, and movement was slow going as Yachi and Tsukishima tried to navigate the maze-like corridors. The goal was to get as close to Daishou's room as possible. The servant corridors never led into the personal quarters of any of the elites that spent time in the palace, but Tsukishima insisted that there was an exit close to where the advisors stayed while on call.

Sure enough, at the corner of a hallway, there was a hidden door, made so the servants could be of use without being seen. Each door was guarded, with another soldier patrolling the hallway. It was painstaking, trying to sneak past each guard and hide in the ill-lit places of the hallway, but if they were discovered before Daishou was dealt with, he would poison the ears of the Empress and mark Tsukishima as a traitor and heretic. The snake's room was alone in its hallway, as all the other rooms for the advisors had been, so there were only four guards for them to take out: one for each person. Kageyama had wanted to kill the guards while they set up the plan, but both Tsukishima and Yachi had insisted on simply knocking them unconscious, insisting that they were all good men and women.

The four of them each made quick work of the guards, Tsukishima and Kageyama with brute force and Yachi and Yamaguchi with chemical-soaked rags. Once each guard was thoroughly bound and gagged, Kageyama made for Daishou's door. Here was where they parted with the black-haired boy. Kageyama was well equipped, courtesy of Bokuto and Hinata, with a knife, rope, and, most importantly, a handheld pistol with a full round of bullets. Expensive equipment, yes, but essential if Kageyama was to do his job properly. He would take out Daishou, render him unconscious and immobile preferably, but kill him if absolutely necessary. Over his time on the Nekarasi, Kageyama had grown even better at combat from his training with Yachi, Bokuto, and Hinata. He was well-rounded with all weapons and, most importantly, unafraid to take necessary actions and kill if needed. It may have just been Kageyama's disposition, or maybe it stemmed from the rough and tumble life of scrapper towns, but either way, he was the least squeamish, the coldest when it came to fighting. Daishou was likely asleep; Yamaguchi had full faith that Kageyama would succeed.

The party of now three snuck back into the servant corridors and made their way to the royal quarters. The Empress had a habit of wandering early in the morning in her royal gardens, so she would not be in the room with her husband. Akiteru, however, would be in his room and could easily request an audience with his mother without raising suspicion. So, through the labyrinth, they once again traversed, on their way to Akiteru's chambers. They no longer had the numbers to take out each guard at the door, so, instead, they snuck out to a viewing balcony. It was from that balcony that Tsukishima claimed to have climbed the vines and made his way into his brother's room many times before, all without the guards ever noticing.

In the chill of winter, the ivy vines were far more brittle than they had ever been when Tsukishima used them, but they were old and thick nonetheless; if they treaded carefully, they would hold. The three moved slowly, following the prince's lead and watching their step. In the time it had taken to reach the palace, subdue guards, and leave Daishou with Kageyama, night had slipped away and faded into dawn. It was still dark enough to cover their movement, but any more light would easily reveal their position. There was no guarantee the palace guards wouldn't shoot them if they were spotted. Even so, there was no space to rush their movement. Everything onward was a race against time.

Creeping ever closer to the older prince's balcony, Yamaguchi could hear the guards marching, changing shifts with the sun no doubt. Down below they chatted as they passed each other, splinters of conversation about family business and the increased military activity. Having stayed on the ground his whole life, Yamaguchi hadn't realized how far sound traveled upwards, but goddess, he could hear everything. He didn't dare look down, though; he was well aware that one wrong movement, one misplaced toe, and he would be but a splatter on the stone pathway below.

The frosted glass doors that led from Akiteru's balcony and into his room were luckily unlocked when they reached them. The room itself was piled to the brim with maps and books, as well as a few weapons, although none were within reach of the sleeping prince. Most of the plan from here on out relied entirely on Tsukishima; Yachi and Yamaguchi had no power in the palace. Tsukishima crept slowly toward his brother's bed, silent and determined. He pulled down his hood, making his face visible once more, and firmly placed his hand over his brother's mouth, and then grabbed his shoulder with the other hand. Then, steeling himself and widening his foot stance, Tsukishima's face split into a wicked grin as he shook the living daylights out of his sleeping brother.

Akiteru flailed and looked around wildly, like a panicked animal, before making eye contact with his brother and relaxing. Glancing about and only pausing momentarily at the sight of Yamaguchi and Yachi, the elder prince turned back to his brother and hoarsely whispered, "Wha-" he yawned and reached for a glass of water before carrying on, "What the hell, Kei?"

"I need an audience with mother, immediately."

"Okay? And do I at least have the pleasure of knowing who these other two strangers are doing in my room, brother dearest?"

"They've helped me get back. I have another... friend... too who has helped me, but we had to leave him behind to finish a task for us."

"Kei, that is the vaguest damn thing I've ever heard in my life."

"Yes, yes, but you will get us that audience with mother?"

"Who do you take me for, of course, I will. What, you think I'm not going to tell mom you've come back; she's been worried sick! You might be able to work that, uh, suspicion of yours on her, I'll wager anything that she's twice as receptive right now."

"That is the plan, Akiteru, and I have proof now."

Akiteru, now fully awake and significantly less grouchy, sent one of his door guards to request an audience with the Empress and gave the other three orders to not question anything that might happen in the near future. No one had the time, nor the want, to change clothes in front of the others, and so when the messenger guard confirmed the meeting with the Empress, everyone left the room as they were; Tsukishima, Yachi, and Yamaguchi in commoner clothes, and Akiteru in his pajamas. Yamaguchi was sure they were quite the sight.

Akiteru escorted the three of them to the throne room, cheerfully waving off the confused guards. At the entrance to the room, he slipped in with a promise to try and butter up his mother before Tsukishima burst in with two strangers. After about a minute, the blonde prince seemed to have no patience, Tsukishima flung open the towering doors, motioning for Yamaguchi and Yachi to follow. They strode into the room, hoods down and heads high, Tsukishima in the front and the other two flanking him on either side. Just watching the royal family, Yamaguchi began to understand just how at home Tsukishima was in such an extravagant setting. Once at the foot of the thrones, Yachi stooped into a deep bow, prompting Yamaguchi to follow in suit, albeit rather clumsily. Tsukishima, of course, remained standing, proud as ever.

The Empress ran down the steps separating her and her youngest son and embraced him in a deep hug as she sobbed relievedly. Yamaguchi, the guards, and Yachi, all stood around awkwardly unsure of what to do in the sight of such emotion from the empirical family. Tsukishima himself hurriedly shushed his mother, insisting that she hear him out before turning into a sob fest. Drying her eyes, the Empress agreed and sat once again on her throne, ready to hear what her son had to say.

Taking a deep breath, Tsukishima launched into his explanation. He detailed his discovery of Daishou's journal, his visions, and the theft of his items. There, Yamaguchi took over with the tale of how the box ended up in his possession and the journey up until he met Yachi. Yachi herself then filled in the rest, the attack on the Nekarasi, their collecting of Tsukishima, and their journey to the palace. She conveniently left out the information on Yamaguchi's synergy and the whole breaking and entering part of their plan, but that information was hardly important. To provide further backing for their accounts, Tsukishima pulled Daishou's journal out of a hidden pocket in his cloak. With a somber reluctance, the Empress took the espionage journal and began to read it, skimming over pages, her face growing more and more hardened and displeased with each page. Just as she reached the final pages, the throne room doors burst open once again.

There, lowering his foot from kicking the doors open, was Kageyama with Daishou in tow. Said man was bound with cording, his arms behind his back, and sported a rather nasty bruise across his face. His hair was a sickly green and oddly angular, and his sulfurous yellow eyes darted frantically around the room. Kageyama had his gun pointed steadily at the back of Daishou's head, finger on the trigger, and ready to pull at a moment's notice. The doors slammed shut as the Empress and Daishou made eye contact, one desperate and the other full of disdain.

The financial advisor wriggled in his ties and begged with a voice like curdling milk, "Your regency, this commoner insurrectionist is a menace! I told you your second son had gone and cracked under his own madness, now look where we are! Have-" he trailed off as the Empress lifted up his journal of treason, waving it slightly as if to taunt or scold him. She didn't even bother to look at the man as she ordered her guards to throw him in the high-security dungeons. Kageyama, relieved of his duty, strode forward to stand by the sides of his friends.

As the guards escorted Daishou out of the room, yet another person ran in, heaving with exertion. They were dressed in the simple cotton uniform of an empirical messenger, and in their hand was a letter. "Urgent correspondence from the Kingdom of the Iron Wall, your grace."

She took it, waved away the messenger, and took a minute or so to read over the message. When it became clear she had no intention to explain it to the others in the room, Akiteru took the liberty of paraphrasing it, "It's from prince Futakuchi; he claims to have been sent a journal of yours containing a mayday call. He has written to warn us that your words are true and that the Slithering Isles has indeed sent Daishou to spy on us."

"Damn, Futakuchi, couldn't he have sent that blasted letter a day or so earlier?" grumbled Tsukishima, although Yamaguchi could tell by the lack of real bite that he was grateful for the vouching from his ally.

The Empress turned to the four near-adults standing in front of her, "You three have done my family and country a great service by returning our son and sensitive documents to us. I shall forgive you for reading the personal affairs that belong to our family, as you three committed yourselves to proper action. I do believe a reward is in order for you two commoners and the Nekarasi crew. As for you, young miss Yachi, I quite think a promotion is duly earned."

Yamaguchi heaved a great sigh of relief as what seemed to be the weight of the world lifted off his shoulders. He and Kageyama were done with their end of the bargain; they could return to the Nekarasi with their coin, pick up Miwa, and live out their new and improved lives as train employees. Perhaps they could even convince Yachi and Tsukishima to visit once the whole impending war was cleaned up.

That joyous feeling was promptly shattered, however, as guards escorted Kageyama and Yamaguchi out of the throne room and further into the palace. Yachi shot the two an apologetic look, "We've got to stay here until everything is cleared up. You two are so intertwined with this now, and the Slithering Isles probably know you by face and name, it's too dangerous for us to leave quite yet."

"So, we're being held captive, is what you're saying." Sighed Yamaguchi, now more than used to his future plans being destroyed.

Yachi smiled in a way that seemed more of a wince, "Welcome to the Firefly Palace, I guess."

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

25.3K 917 18
This story is about Kageyama and Tsukishima finding each other on Wattpad and becoming close online friends. Practice keeps going, bickering continu...
99.5K 4.5K 9
"Hinata, do you like Kageyama?" "Uh.. yeah. A-As in, I like him as a teammate! A.. friend." "No, he meant like like. You know. Love." - Bot...
118K 4K 22
Kagayema never felt this way before. In his sixteen years of existance, he had never felt the slightest attraction to anyone. So why now? Why did he...
285K 12.7K 23
A story where Yamaguchi is in love with Tsukishima. Tsukishima, however, is not in love with Yamaguchi. In fact... is Tsukishima even friends with hi...