Rising from the Ashes

By SeventhSam

The four Clans-GrassClan, OakClan, PineClan and WillowClan-have lived in relative balance since the Clans beg... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121

Chapter 31

7 2 1
By SeventhSam

Swanflight awoke that morning with a stretch and rose to her paws. Her gaze fell to the nest beside hers to see Thistletail sound asleep. Before she could stop herself, her tail whisked fondly over his pelt.

The deputy shifted and for a horrifying moment, Swanflight thought he would awake but to her great surprise, he purred instead, snuggling deeper into his nest.

Relieved, Swanflight left the den but not before she saw something else that was equal parts amusing and sweet. Hawkstar had pressed himself against Wildbloom, broad paws splayed over her sides and his head nestled on her shoulder. The GrassClan leader had remained in the warrior's den since the storm over a moon ago despite the fact that his den had long been repaired. Bumbleflight had generously moved his nest so Hawkstar could continue using his old one. Both he and Wildbloom slept soundly.

Swanflight had noticed the two of them getting close. Though, for some reason, they hadn't declared themselves mates. They made a cute couple and more than that, they matched each other well in personality. She wondered why but it also was none of her business. Not wanting to disturb them, she slipped out into the chilly morning.

It was no surprise to see Birchleg already up. "Hiya, Swanflight!"

Swanflight definitely couldn't match his energy, but it was welcome all the same.

Stonesplash joined them shortly after that, blinking blearily in the gray morning light.

Last of all came Wildbloom.

"You and Hawkstar look so cute together!" Birchleg exclaimed with a wave of his tail.

"Do you have to be so loud?" Wildbloom hissed to the mottled tom, hurrying across to join the rest of their patrol.

Birchleg looked confused. "I'm always this loud."

"You really do look sweet together," Swanflight ventured.

"Could we please stop talking about this?"

"It's time we left on patrol anyway," Stonesplash meowed.

Wildbloom fell in beside Swanflight as they left camp, Birchleg just behind Stonesplash as they headed down the river trail.

"Swanflight, can I ask you something?" Wildbloom asked.

"Sure, what is it?" Swanflight gave her a curious look.

"What's going on with you and Thistletail?"

"Wha-what do you mean?" Swanflight stumbled and Wildbloom quickly steadied her.

"I mean that ever since Thistletail saved you from the fox, you've been acting

differently around him," Wildbloom elaborated then her eyes widened. "Wait, that's it, isn't it? You've developed feelings for him!"

It was Swanflight's turn to be embarrassed. "Yes, I have but not how you

mean! I'm extremely grateful to him for saving my life. I-I didn't think he would ever go out of his way for us volunteers. So, when he did, I was shocked and a little ashamed. I've been afraid of him with his mean looks and meaner personality. Yet, Hawkstar and Hareflight treat him like a friend. They know he has something better to offer than what he shares with the rest of us."

"I realized that it didn't matter how Thistletail behaved. I decided to be bold like

how you and Duskflower and Brightwhisker all are. If I wanted him to be friendly, then I needed to be a friend to him. I wasn't sure whether it would work but it couldn't hurt to try." Swanflight raised her head to meet Wildbloom's gaze. "And it's working. He's not my favorite Clanmate and he's nowhere near as easy to get along with as Birchleg or Brightwhisker but I'm not afraid of him anymore."

Wildbloom looked stunned by her confession but before she could respond, they were interrupted.

"Hey, the flooding's gone down!"

Wildbloom and Swanflight had come to a halt as they talked but Birchleg's

excited yowl urged them on. They could see at once that he was right. The river was still flooded but only marginally now. The river trail was still submerged but it didn't extend any further beyond that. They stood at the edge of the water as it lapped at their paws.

Wildbloom whisked her tail with satisfaction. "This is great news!"

"The water is low enough to swim in now," Birchleg observed. He looked at

Stonesplash. "Can we try fishing?"

Stonesplash nodded. "I think we should."

"Wait, what about the rest of the border?" Wildbloom asked.

"The Clan needs to eat more than it needs borders marked."

"That's what hunting patrols are for."

"Right but the meadow isn't exactly prey-rich at the moment. Not like the river almost always is."

"Well, I can't argue with that."

"Besides, what cats, besides the three of us," here Stonesplash used his tail to

include Birchleg and Swanflight, "is willing to get their paws wet?"

Wildbloom stifled a shudder. "Alright, I see your point. I can't even argue that no one will eat it. The Clan can't afford to be picky."

"No, they can't," Stonesplash meowed. "Wildbloom, you'll stay here and guard our catch while we fish."

Birchleg splashed in without hesitation, Swanflight and Stonesplash right behind him. The cold water quickly enveloped them, but the sensation was a familiar one. The three of them took turns diving to the bottom of the river and coming back up with their catch. They ended up with four fish since Birchleg caught two. They met Bramblestripe at the head of a hunting patrol at the entrance tunnel.

"Did I get my patrols mixed up cause I thought we were the hunting patrol,"

Bramblestripe meowed.

Thistletail shoved his way to the front, gaze stern as always. "What is this?"

"When we discovered the river had shrunk, we decided to take the opportunity to go hunting," Stonesplash explained.

"So, you just decided to forget about the rest of the border, like you were ordered

to do?" Thistletail demanded with a twitch of his tail.

"The Clan needs to be fed. We can't turn down an opportunity to do that."

There was a tense silence as the two toms stared at one another.

Swanflight's pelt prickled with it and Wildbloom flicked her tail lightly across her side in a comforting gesture.

At last, Thistletail stepped aside. "See that the elders eat then. After that, do as

you please. Not like you listen to my orders anyway."

Stonesplash picked up his fish and slipped into camp. The rest of his patrol followed him into camp. They deposited their catch on the fresh-kill pile.

"More fish?" Shadowheart scowled.

"The elders will be thankful to have full bellies," Wildbloom chided.

"I'm sure they will. I just cleared out their old bedding for fresh. All they need now is a good meal," Bumbleflight meowed. "Perhaps they'll even share!" The young tom scooped up one of the fish and headed for the elder's den.

"I think I'm gonna go hunting again," Birchleg meowed.

"I'll go with you as long as you mean hunting and not fishing," Brightwhisker volunteered.

"Sure!"

Stonesplash yawned. "I'm going to get some shut eye. Dawn patrol and fishing

wore me out."

"Would you like to share a fish with me, Wildbloom?" Swanflight asked.

"Er, no thanks. Help yourself. I can wait for the other hunting patrol," Wildbloom meowed.

Swanflight nodded before choosing the smallest fish and beginning to eat with

neat, quick bites. Shefinished her meal and gave herself a good groom. Now that she had eaten, shewas feeling sleepy. It had been a long morning. Deciding to followStonesplash's lead, she headed for the warrior's den to get some shut-eye. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434 1 35
Roanfur was one of the greatest warriors of Fallclan. The leader had made him Deputy and everybody respected him. The young cat was having a good lif...
420 170 33
~A Fanfiction Inspired By Warriors~ Along with the four clans of the forest, there is a group of mediators that keep the peace between them. As they...
761 105 26
Peace has come in the Clans, but young Riverstorm is struggling to fit into RiverClan, while Brackenstar is finding it hard to keep a big secret. Sun...
61.2K 2.6K 36
"...The storm will twist the weeping tree..." Young Willowpaw is thrust into the middle of a prophecy that could determine ThunderClan's fate. With...