Rising From The Ashes (Book F...

Від WritersBlock039

With the fall of the Time Lords and the end of the Master comes the fall of the Tenth Doctor and the Second B... Більше

Rising From The Ashes (Book Five of the Bad Wolf Chronicles)
Prologue
11:03
Meanwhile on the Bus and the TARDIS
The Beast Below
Wolf and Pond
Victory of the Daleks
Time Tracking
The Time of Angels
Flesh and Stone
Flirts and Confrontations
The Vampires of Venice
Jessie's Takeover Days
Nightshade and Williams
Amy's Choice
A Tale of Two Time Lords
The Hungry Earth
Cold Blood
Remember
Vincent and the Time Lords
History Lessons
The Lodgers
Observations
The Big Bang
It's Christmas Time
A Christmas Carol
The Oldest Trick
Death of the Doctor and the Bad Wolf
A Scarlet Future
Epilogue

The Pandorica Opens

6K 166 226
Від WritersBlock039

Not my best screenshot for the episode, but I'm pretty proud of it. :) Also, if this cuts off in any place before the end of the story, PLEASE TELL ME!!!! IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!

Ahem . . . anyway. ;) In "The Pandorica Opens," it's not just one familiar face that pops up, and what happens when you put an Asgardian and a wannabe Cleopatra together?

Enjoy!

***

In the rain falling down upon Vincent Van Gogh's house, a young woman with dark hair pulled into a ponytail silently stepped through the mud, never making a single footprint. She poked her head into one of the windows, watching Vincent turn into a sobbing mess in front of one of his paintings. "Vincent, can you hear me?" his doctor asked. "Please!"

"It's not enough he goes drinking all round the town," Madame Vernet huffed, and the girl narrowed her eyes. "Now the whole neighborhood has to listen to his screaming!"

"He's very ill, Madame Vernet!"

Vernet just huffed and turned to the completed painting, and the girl's eyes widened upon seeing it. "Look at this. Even worse than his usual rubbish! What's it supposed to be?"

The girl just narrowed her eyes, a gold gleam in them . . .

***

"It was found behind the wall, in an attic in France," Bracewell was saying as he showed the painting to Winston Churchill, the same dark-haired girl observing from where she leaned against the wall, arms folded, her head tilted, obviously curious about what their next action would be. "It's genuine. It's a Van Gogh."

"Why bring it to me?" Churchill asked.

"Because it's obviously a message, and you can see who it's for."

"Can't say I understand it."

"You're not supposed to understand it, Prime Minister. You're supposed to deliver it."

The girl's lips curled upwards into a smile as the Prime Minister reached for his phone . . .

***

"Cell four two six . . . the Doctor? Do you mean Doctor Song?"

In her cell, River Song shot from where she sat and looked through the bars. "Give me that," she ordered. The guard just gave her a look. "Seriously, just give it to me! I'm entitled to phone calls!" The guard handed her the phone, and she took it, turning away. "Doctor?"

"No, and neither are you," Churchill answered. "Where is he?"

"You're phoning the Time Vortex. It doesn't always work, but the TARDIS is smart. She's rerouted the call. Talk quickly. This connection will last less than a minute."

River listened intently, her eyes widening slowly as she listened. "Doctor Song, are you finished with that?" the guard asked impatiently.

She slowly turned, a seductive smile on her face. "You're new here, aren't you?"

"First day," he nodded.

"Then I'm very sorry."

***

The same dark-haired girl was giggling into her hand as she watched more guards swarm the cell, the guard who had been watching River aiming his gun at a wall, lipstick smeared on his face . . . and his gun was aimed at a stick figure drawing with "Bye!" in a bubble.

***

River climbed up staircases in the Royal Collection, looking around for the one thing she was looking for. She found it with a smile, and she pulled the picture out of its frame. She turned to go, when the lights came on and she found herself staring at the barrel of a futuristic gun. "This is the Royal Collection, and I'm the bloody Queen," Liz 10 sneered. "What are you doing here?"

"It's about the Doctor and the Bad Wolf, ma'am," River answered truthfully. "You met them once, didn't you? I know they came here."

Liz narrowed her eyes. "The Doctor and the Bad Wolf?"

"They're in trouble. I need to find them."

Liz narrowed her eyes further. She'd heard stories about the infamous River Song . . . and none of them were particularly in her favor. Because what she would do to the Time Lords was horrific, and a sacrilege. "Then why are you stealing a painting?"

"Look at it," was all River said, and she turned the painting around. Liz's eyes widened in shock. "I need to find the Doctor, and I need to show him this."

Liz's gaze flicked to the corner of the room, and the petite dark-haired girl nodded encouragingly.

***

"Well, now," Dorium wheezed as he sat across from River. "Word on the Belt is you're looking for time travel."

"Are you selling?" River asked.

Dorium snapped his fingers, and a box was put on the table. "A Vortex Manipulator, fresh off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent." River raised an eyebrow when the box was opened . . . and the Vortex Manipulator was still attached to the wrist it was supposed to be off of. "I said off the wrist!" Dorium hissed. He shook his head and turned back to her as the box was taken away. "Not cheap, Doctor Song. Have you brought me a pretty toy?"

River smiled and took off one of her earrings. "This is a Calisto Pulse. It can disarm micro-explosives from up to twenty feet."

"What kind of micro-explosives?" Dorium asked as he took a sip of his drink.

River smiled innocently. "The kind I just put in your wine."

Dorium's eyes bugged out, and he looked at his drink in horror. River just smirked and winked at the dark-haired girl sniggering from in the corner.

***

"Vavoom!" the Doctor cheered, jumping into the console room.

Amy quickly snapped the ring box shut and looked up as Jessie ran into the room next, rolling her eyes. "Va-what?"

"Exactly what I said," Jessie smirked.

"I can't believe I've never thought of this before!" the Doctor grinned. "It's genius!" He adjusted the coordinates and beamed when the TARDIS landed. "Right, landed." He headed for the doors. "Come on!"

"Where are we?" Amy asked, running after them.

"Planet One," the Doctor answered. "The oldest planet in the universe. And there's a cliff of pure diamond, and according to legend, on the cliff there's writing, letters fifty feet high. A message from the dawn of time, and no one knows what it says because no one's ever translated it . . . till today."

"What happens today?" Amy asked.

"The TARDIS can translate anything," Jessie explained. "So we will be the first to translate it."

The Doctor opened the doors, and they stepped out, looking at the cliff face -

Jessie burst out laughing, and the Doctor's jaw dropped, looking absolutely gobsmacked. Amy just laughed as well, reading the massive words saying "HELLO, SISSY" along with weird symbols. "Vavoom!"

The Doctor just sighed. "Your sister. Definitely."

Jessie couldn't stop giggling as they went back into the TARDIS.

***

The trio stepped out of the TARDIS at the edge of a wood, looking around. "Right place?" Amy asked.

"Just followed the coordinates on the cliff face," the Doctor nodded, checking his watch, not seeing Jessie staring over the hill, a look of pure surprise on her face. "Earth, Britain, 1:02 am." He frowned. "No, pm."

"Uh, dear?" Jessie called. "Try AD."

He blinked and ran to her side, gawking down at the Roman camp spread out below. "That's a Roman Legion," Amy said.

"Well, yeah," the Doctor nodded. "The Romans invaded Britain several times during this period."

"Oh, I know," Amy grinned. "My favorite topic at school. Invasion of the hot Italians." She blushed at the amused looks she got from the Time Lords. "Yeah, I did get marked down for the title."

A soldier suddenly ran up and bowed with a salute. "Hail, Caesar!"

The Doctor blinked rapidly, then started when Jessie jabbed him in the side. "Hi?" he tried.

"Welcome to Britain. We are honored by your presence."

"Well . . . you're only human." He gestured. "Arise, Roman person."

"Why does he think you're Caesar?" Amy asked.

Jessie's eyebrows shot up at the lipstick smear on his face. "Cleopatra will see you now."

***

Jessie laughed again when she entered "Cleopatra's" tent. "All hail the wonderful Cleopatra!" she joked, giving an exaggerated bow.

River, dressed as Cleopatra, grinned back. "You may rise, sissy," she joked back.

"River," Amy grinned. "Hi."

"You graffitied the oldest cliff face in the universe!" the Doctor accused.

"You wouldn't answer your phone," River shrugged, sending her slaves off.

Jessie raised an eyebrow at the rolled up painting she was offered. "What's this?"

"It's a painting," River answered. "Your friend, Vincent. One of his final works. He had visions, didn't he? I thought you ought to know about this one."

Jessie unrolled it, and she let out a startled yelp, eyes wide. "Jez?" the Doctor asked worriedly.

"Bad Wolf? What is it?" Amy asked.

Jessie swallowed and laid the painting down, showing a version of Starry Night . . . with the TARDIS exploding. The Doctor narrowed his eyes, but Amy just looked confused. "Why is it exploding?"

"I assume it's some kind of warning," River answered.

"What, something's going to happen to the TARDIS?"

"It might not be that literal. Anyway, this is where he wanted you. Date and map reference on the door sign, see?"

"Does it have a title?" the Doctor asked.

"The Pandorica Opens," River answered.

"The Pandorica again," Jessie mumbled.

"The Pandorica?" Amy echoed. "What is it?"

"A box," River answered. "A cage. A prison. It was built to contain the most feared thing in all the universe."

"And it's a fairytale, a legend," the Doctor added. "It can't be real."

"If it's real, it's here, and it's opening, and it's got something to do with your TARDIS exploding," River shrugged. "Hidden, obviously. Buried for centuries. You won't find it on a map."

"Someone wise and very handsome once told me that the first thing you do with space travel is park somewhere you'd remember," Jessie said, thinking back to the Blitz. "Same thing here. If you buried the most dangerous thing in the universe, I know I'd want to remember where I put it."

***

The quartet rode out to Stonehenge not even an hour later and started investigating. "How come it's not new?" Amy asked, looking around at the stones.

"Because it's already old," River answered, scanning with her computer, the Doctor and Jessie their sonic screwdrivers. "It's been here thousands of years. No one knows exactly how long."

"OK," Amy nodded. "This Pandorica thing. Last time we saw you, you warned us about it, after we climbed out of the Byzantium."

River just smirked at her. "Spoilers."

"No, but you told the Doctor you'd see him again when the Pandorica opens."

"Maybe I did, but I haven't yet," River shrugged. "But I will have."

"Aren't tenses always funny?" an American voice asked, and Amy turned in surprise, seeing a dark-haired young woman running a hand up a stone, her eyes the color of alcohol with a gold tinge to them, wearing black cargo pants and a dark orange tank top. "I'm always getting them mixed up."

"Wh - ?" Amy's eyes widened.

"Shh," the girl held a finger to her lips and winked.

"Act like she's not there," River advised in a whisper. "She's only here when something's about to really go wrong."

"Who is she?" Amy asked in a whisper.

"The Bad Wolf, her first self," River answered just as quietly. Amy's eyes widened, realizing she'd seen the girl before, next to the version of the Doctor that had been in all leather. "Doctor!" River called, raising her voice. "I'm picking up fry particles everywhere. Energy weapons discharged on this site."

"If the Pandorica is here, it contains the mightiest warrior in history," the Doctor nodded. "Now, half the galaxy would want a piece of that. Maybe even fight over it. We need to get down there."

***

A few hours later, as the sky darkened and the moon rose, River and Jessie placed some devices on the corners of the Altar stone. "Right then," River nodded. "Ready." She used her computer, and the sound of machinery grinding sounded, before the Altar stone moved to the side.

Jessie smirked, seeing the staircase underneath. "The Underhenge," she identified, going down.

Amy was about to follow when she saw the First Bad Wolf staring at something with narrowed eyes. "You coming?" she asked quietly.

"Yeah," she nodded. "Go on." Amy frowned, but headed after the others.

The First Bad Wolf stared at the severed Cyberhead for a moment longer before following behind.

***

Jessie lit a torch from the wall quickly, doing the same for the Doctor and River before unbarring a huge door. The Doctor whistled, seeing the huge square object in the center of the room with circular designs. "It's a Pandorica," he remarked.

"More than just a fairytale," River nodded.

The First Bad Wolf's eyes flickered to a severed Cyberman arm lying just an inch away from Jessie's feet. "There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior," Jessie said, looking around. "A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day, it would just drop out of the sky and tear down this world."

"How did it end up in there?" Amy asked.

The Doctor huffed. "You know fairytales. A good wizard tricked it."

"I hate good wizards in fairytales," River rolled her eyes. "They always turn out to be him."

"So it's kind of like Pandora's Box, then?" Amy asked. "Almost the same name."

The Doctor blinked, looking up. "Sorry, what?"

"The story," Amy explained. "Pandora's Box, with all the worst things in the world in it. That was my favorite book when I was a kid . . . " She frowned when Jessie then stared at her suspiciously. "What's wrong?"

"Your favorite school topic," Jessie frowned. "Your favorite story . . . never ignore a coincidence."

"Unless you're busy," the Doctor told her. "In which case, always ignore a coincidence."

"Have they always been this bad?" Amy couldn't help but whisper to the First Bad Wolf.

"You should've seen the 10s," was all the girl said.

"So can you open it?" River asked.

"Easily," the Doctor nodded. "Anyone can break into a prison. But I'd rather know what I'm going to find first."

"Doesn't look like we'll have long," Jessie warned, looking at her sonic screwdriver. "It's already started opening. There's layers and layers of security protocols in there, and they're being disabled one by one, like it's being unlocked from the inside."

"How long do we have?"

"Hours, at the most."

"What kind of security?"

Jessie whistled. "Everything. Deadlocks, time stops, matter lines."

"What could need all that?"

"More of what I'm concerned with, what could get past all that?"

The Doctor looked at the Pandorica. "Think of the fear that went into making this box! What could inspire that level of fear?" He patted the edge. "Hello, you. Have we met?"

"So why would it start to open now?" River asked.

"No idea," the Doctor shrugged.

"Ahem," Amy coughed meaningfully. "And how could Vincent have known about it? He won't even be born for centuries."

"The stones," the Doctor answered. "These stones are great big transmitters, broadcasting a warning to everyone, everywhere, to every time zone - "

"Everyone," the First Bad Wolf said meaningfully, and River's eyes widened, and she hurried to pull out her computer.

"The Pandorica is opening."

"Doctor, everyone everywhere?" River asked, fiddling to get her device on.

"Even poor Vincent heard it, in his dreams. But what's in there? What could justify all this?"

"Doctor, everyone?" River insisted.

"Anything that powerful, I'd know about it," he ignored River, scratching his head. "Why don't I know?"

"Doctor," Jessie cut in, her eyes wide. "If everyone can hear this, who else is coming?"

The Doctor froze, eyes wide. "Oh," he said weakly.

"Oh?" Amy asked, looking around. "Oh, what?"

River swallowed. "OK. If it is basically a transmitter, we should be able to fold back the signal."

"Doing it," the Doctor nodded, using his sonic screwdriver on the stones.

"Doing what?" Amy asked.

"Stonehenge is transmitting," River explained. "It's been transmitting for a while, so who heard?"

"OK, should be feeding back to you now," the Doctor said. "River, what's out there?"

"Give me a moment," River answered.

"River, quickly!"

River's eyes widened in shock. "Anything?" Jessie asked.

She swallowed. "Around this planet, there are at least ten thousand starships."

"At least?" Amy echoed.

"Ten thousand? A hundred thousand? A million? I don't know. There's too many readings."

"What kind of starships?" Jessie asked.

"Maintaining orbit!" a familiar alien voice shouted, making Jessie stiffen, her eyes narrow, and her fists clench.

"I obey! Shield cover compromised on ion sectors!"

"Daleks," she sneered. "It's always the bloody Daleks."

"Scan detects no temporal activity."

"Soft grid scan commencing."

"Reverse thrust for compensatory stabilization!"

"Daleks, Doctor," River said.

"Launch preliminary armaments protocol!"

"Yes," the Doctor nodded, thinking quickly. "OK, OK, OK, OK. Dalek fleet, minimum twelve thousand battleships, armed to the teeth . . . ah! But we've got surprise on our side! They'll never expect three people to attack twelve thousand Dalek battleships!"

"Because we'd be killed instantly," Jessie pointed out. "Fairly short surprise, don't you think?"

He winced. "Forget surprise."

"Course correction proceeding," a robotic voice said.

River's eyes widened. "Doctor, Cyberships!"

"No, Dalek ships," he shook his head. "Listen to them. Those are Dalek ships."

"Yes, Dalek ships, and Cyberships!"

"This is a nightmare!" Jessie groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Well, we need to start a fight, turn them on each other," the Doctor said. "I mean, that's easy. It's the Dalek. They're so cross - "

"Sontaran, four battlefleets," River reported.

"Sontarans!" the Doctor huffed. "Talk about cross. Who stole all their handbags?"

"Terileptil!" River called out, following Jessie as she ran for the stairs. "Slitheen! Chelonian! Nestene! Drahvin! Sycorax! Haemogoth! Zygon! Atraxi! Draconian! They're all here for the Pandorica!"

"What are you?" the Doctor gawked at the Pandorica, pushing Amy out. "What could you possibly be?!"

***

The quartet - quintet, if the First Bad Wolf only visible to River and Amy counted - stared up at the mass of spaceships whizzing about in shock. "What do we do?" Amy finally asked.

"Doctor, listen to me," River hissed. "Everything that ever hated you is coming here tonight. You can't win this. You can't even fight it! Doctor, this one, just this one time, please, you have to run!"

"Run where?" the Doctor protested.

"Fight how?" she countered.

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe."

"What is?" Amy asked in confusion. "The Daleks?"

"Oh, no," Jessie grinned. "Amy, how would you feel about meeting some of your hot Italians?"

***

"So, what's this got to do with the TARDIS?" Amy asked as the Doctor and Jessie investigated the Pandorica more.

"Nothing, as far as I know," the Doctor shrugged.

"But Vincent's painting. The TARDIS was exploding. Is that going to happen?"

"One problem at a time," the Doctor sighed. "There's forcefield technology inside this box. If I enhance the signal, I could extend it all over Stonehenge. Could buy us half an hour."

"What good is half an hour?"

There are fruit flies living on Hoppledom Six that live for twenty minutes and they don't even mate for life . . . "

"Your point?" Jessie asked.

He winced. "There was going to be a point to that." He pointed at Amy. "I'll get back to you."

Amy took the ring box from her pocket and looked at it before telling Jessie, "Gorgeous engagement ring."

Jessie nearly dropped her sonic screwdriver. "What?!"

"This," Amy held up the box. "It's yours, isn't it? I'd've thought you'd keep wearing it." She frowned. "It . . . is yours, isn't it? I did wonder why it was in the Doctor's pocket, though . . . "

"No," Jessie swallowed, taking the box. "It's a memory. A very good friend. Someone I lost." She frowned at the look on Amy's face. "Do you mind?"

"It's weird," Amy frowned, looking confused. "I feel . . . I don't know . . . something."

Jessie bit her lip, trying to figure out what to say. "People fall out of the world sometimes, but they always leave traces," she said softly. "Little things we can't quite account for. Faces in photographs, luggage, half-eaten meals . . . rings. Nothing is ever forgotten, not completely. And if something can be remembered . . . it can come back."

Amy smiled. "So, was she nice, your friend?"

Jessie closed her eyes and turned away, steeling herself. The Doctor, thankfully, interrupted. "Remember that night you flew away with us?" he asked.

"Of course I do," Amy nodded.

"And you asked me why we were taking you, and we told you there wasn't a reason? We were lying."

Amy frowned. "What, so you did have a reason?"

"Your house."

"My house?"

"It was too big. Too many empty rooms. Does it ever bother you, Amy, that your life doesn't make any sense?"

An energy shot fired at them, and the three of them hurried behind the Pandorica. "What was that?" Amy gasped.

"OK," the Doctor nodded. "I need a proper look. Got to draw its fire, give it a target."

"How?" Amy asked.

"You know how sometimes Jez has really brilliant ideas?"

"Yes," Amy nodded.

"This is what happens when I come up with them." Amy's eyes widened as the Doctor jumped out into clear view. "Look at me, I'm a target!" he cried, then hurriedly jumped out of the way to avoid being hit.

"Nice!" Jessie shouted. "Real nice!"

"What is that?" Amy asked.

"Cyberarm," the Doctor panted. "Arm of Cyberman."

"And what's a Cyberman?"

"Not nice!" Jessie inputted.

"Sort of part man, part robot," the Doctor explained. "The organic part must have died out years ago. Now the robot part is looking for . . . well, fresh meat."

Amy gawked. "What, us?"

"It's just like being an organ donor . . . except you're alive and sort of . . . screaming. I need to get round behind it. Could you draw its fire?"

"What, like you did?"

"You'll be fine if you're quick. It's only got once arm . . . literally." He held up two thumbs up, grinning maniacally.

Jessie bolted out instead, ducking the shots. The Doctor pounced on the arm. "Come here!" he grunted, sonicking it.

"Doctor?" Amy asked, poking her head out.

"Scrambled its circuits, but stay where you are," he warned. "It could be bluffing."

"Bluffing? It's an arm!"

"I said stay where you are!"

Jessie was suddenly knocked out from behind, and she slumped forward, the Doctor scrambling to catch her. "Jez!" he exclaimed, before something shocked him extremely hard, and he collapsed as well.

***

"Sir? The lady's coming round."

Jessie moaned, tilting her head to the side . . . and wincing. "God," she mumbled. "What hit me?"

"I think you said Cyberman."

"Thanks, Rory," Jessie muttered, squeezing her eyes shut - before they flew open, and she stared in shock up at the familiar man standing over her, a wide smile on his face. "Rory?!" she gasped, sitting upright and hugging him tightly.

"Bad Wolf!" Rory laughed, hugging her just as tightly.

"Is the Doctor all right?"

"He's coming around."

"Amy?" the Doctor asked in a muffled voice as he looked up. "Where's Amy?"

"She's fine, Doctor," Rory answered. "Just unconscious."

"OK," the Doctor sighed in relief, going to check on her. "Yes, she's sedated, that's all. Half an hour, she'll be fine. OK. Romans. Good. I was just wishing for Romans. Good old River. How many?"

"Fifty men up top, volunteers," Rory nodded, looking over at the Pandorica. "What about that thing?"

"Fifty's not exactly a legion," Jessie commented.

"Your friend was very persuasive, but it's a tough sell."

"Well, she tried."

"Yes, I know that, Rory," the Doctor huffed impatiently. "I'm not exactly one to miss the obvious." Pilot and companion gave each other amused looks as the Doctor continued. "But we need everything we can get. OK. Cyberweapons. This is basically a sentry box, so headless wonder here was a sentry. Probably got himself duffed up by the locals. Never underestimate a Celt."

"Doctor?" Rory tried to say.

"Hush, Rory," the Doctor ordered. "Thinking. Why leave a Cyberman on guard . . . unless it's a Cyberthing in the box. But why would they lock up one of their own? OK, no, not a Cyberthing, but what? What? No, I'm missing something obvious, Rory. Something big. Something right slap in front of me. I can feel it!"

"Yeah," Rory nodded, raising an eyebrow . . . the Doctor was indeed right in front of him, and Jessie was sniggering in laughter. "I think you probably are."

"I'll get it in a minute," the Doctor sighed, taking the Cyberweapons and leaving.

Rory turned to Jessie. "Did he get even more oblivious?"

Jessie just held up a finger. The weapons fell to the ground with a crash, and the Doctor poked his head around cautiously. He slowly walked up to Rory and prodded him. He blinked. "Hello again," he said.

"Hello," Rory replied.

"How've you been?"

"Good," Rory admitted. "Yeah. Good. I mean . . . " He shrugged. "Roman."

The Doctor nodded before messing with his hands. "Rory . . . I'm not trying to be rude, but . . . you died."

"Yeah," Rory nodded. "I know. I was there."

"You died, and then you were erased from time. You didn't just die. You were never born at all. You never existed."

"Erased?" Rory blinked. "What does that mean?"

"How can you be here?" Jessie clarified.

"I don't know," he shrugged. "It's kind of fuzzy."

"Fuzzy?"

"Well . . . I died and turned into a Roman. It's very distracting. Did she miss me?"

Jessie wasn't ready to respond . . . thankfully, the Pandorica saved her from doing it. The circular designs turned green and started spinning like cogs. "What is it?" Rory asked in shock. "What's happening?"

"The final phase," the Doctor answered. "It's opening!"

***

River watched as Jessie rode up on her horse, the spaceships flying closer to Stonehenge. "Please tell me he has a plan," she sighed.

"He does," Jessie nodded. "But we need to get the TARDIS back over there."

River nodded, and they turned their horses and rode off as quickly as they could.

***

Rory joined the Romans up by Stonehenge, wondering how swords could fight against aliens, when a voice on a mic called out, "Hello, Stonehenge! Who takes the Pandorica takes the universe! But, bad news everyone!" The Doctor jumped on top of the Altar stone, holding his mic in his hands. "Because guess who? Ha!"

Rory smiled as the Doctor looked around, a bit annoyed. "Listen, you lot. You're all whizzing about. It's really very distracting. Could you all just stay still a minute? Because I AM TALKING!" The spaceships all buzzed to a halt, and Rory smirked. "Now, the question of the hour is, who's got the Pandorica? Answer: I do. Next question. Who's coming to take it from me?" He held out his arms, but no one made a move. "Come on! Look at me! No plan, no back up, no weapons worth a damn. Oh, and something else. I haven't got anything to lose! So, if you're sitting up there in your silly little spaceship with all your silly little guns and you've got any plans on taking the Pandorica tonight, just remember who's standing in your way. Remember every black day I ever stopped you, and then - and then! - do the smart thing." He smirked darkly. "Let somebody else try first."

Rory watched in surprise as all of the ships turned tail and fled. He blew out a breath of relief and nodded to the Doctor. "That'll keep them squabbling for half an hour," the Doctor grinned. "Romans."

***

"OK," River sighed, putting her blaster in its holster and going to the console.

Jessie put in the necessary coordinates, but the TARDIS jerked. "What's the matter?" she asked in surprise.

The TARDIS had never done that before.

***

"They're still out there," Rory reminded the Doctor as they headed back to the Pandorica. "What do we do now?"

"If I can stop whatever's in this box getting out, then they'll go home," the Doctor answered.

"Right."

The Doctor was about to turn when he noticed something behind Rory, and his shoulders slumped. "Rory . . . I'm sorry. You're going to have to be very brave now."

Rory frowned, confused, but then Amy stumbled past. "Oh, my head," she moaned.

"Ah," the Doctor ordered.

"Ah," Amy opened her mouth obediently.

"Just your basic knock-out drops," the Doctor told her, patting her on the shoulder. "Get some fresh air. You'll be fine."

"Is it safe up there?"

"Not remotely, but it's fresh."

"Fine," Amy nodded, turning, then brightened when she saw Rory. "Oh, you're the guy, yeah? The one who did the swordy thing?" She pretended to use a sword.

Rory swallowed, pain in his eyes. "Yeah . . . "

"Well, thanks for the . . . swording," she nodded. "Nice swording." She headed past him, going back up.

"No problem," Rory nodded, turning to her. "My men are up there. They'll look after you."

"Good," Amy waved at him. "Love a Roman."

Rory swallowed hard, turning to the Doctor. "She doesn't remember me. How can she not remember me?"

"Because you never existed," was all the Doctor had to say.

***

"What's she doing?" River shouted as the TARDIS flew along. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know!" Jessie answered, trying to figure out what had happened.

***

"There are cracks," the Doctor said. "Cracks in time. There's going to be a huge explosion in the future on one particular day, and every other moment in history is cracking around it."

"So how does that work?" Rory asked. "What kind of explosion? What exploded?"

"Doesn't matter. The cracks are everywhere now. Get too close to them, and you can fall right out of the universe."

"So I fell through a crack, and now I was never born?"

"Basically."

"Well, how did I end up here?"

"I don't know. You shouldn't have. What happened? From your point of view, what physically happened?"

Rory thought for a moment. "I was in the cave, with you, the Bad Wolf, and Amy. I was dying, then I was just here, a Roman soldier. A proper Roman. Head full of . . . Roman stuff. A whole other life, just here like I'd woken up from a dream. I started to think it was a dream, you and Amy and Leadworth. And then today, in the camp, the men were talking about the visitors, the girl with the red hair and the girl with the Viking costume."

"Viking?" the Doctor couldn't help but wonder.

"I thought you'd come back for me. But she can't even remember me."

"Oh, shut up," the Doctor finally said.

Rory frowned. "What?"

The Doctor tossed the ring box he'd gotten from Jessie to him. "Go get her."

Rory frowned, looking at the box. "But . . . I don't understand. Why am I here?"

"Because you are," he shrugged. "The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous, and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen, and we call them miracles, and that's the theory. Nine hundred years, and so far, there's only one I've seen, only one I've experienced, and both of them have to do with the woman I love. Now this would be number three. Now, get upstairs. She's Amy, and she's surrounded by Romans. I'm not sure history can take it."

Rory smiled and headed back upstairs.

***

The TARDIS suddenly jerked to a halt. Jessie squeaked and went flying. River, however, grabbed onto the console and avoided being thrown over. She frowned. "OK," she said slowly. "You OK now?" She patted the console and headed outside.

Jessie went to follow when she suddenly saw the date and location. Earth, 26/06/2018. "Oh, this is bad," she whispered, running after River.

The glass cracked into a V, and a rasping voice whispered, "Silence will fall!"

"Why did she bring us here?" River asked, looking up at Amy's house.

Jessie shone her flashlight down at the ground, seeing an alien symbol, before slowly raising her light to a door hanging off of its hinges. She looked at River. "Well . . . that's not good."

Both women pulled out their guns, heading inside and going up the stairs. They found nothing in Amy's room, but Jessie's attention was caught by the book by Amy's bed: The Story of Roman Britain. "Well, that's odd," she quipped.

"Bad Wolf," River breathed, holding up The Legend of Pandora's Box.

Jessie's eyes widened. "Oh, hell," she cursed before running to the TARDIS.

***

"Are you OK?" Rory asked, going up to Amy.

"Did the Doctor send you?" Amy asked with a frown. "I'm fine. He just fusses."

"You got a blanket," Rory noted. "That's good. Who gave you that?"

"One of the fellows."

"Which one?"

"Just . . . one of them. Does it matter?"

"No," Rory sighed, sitting down. "No, forget him. It. Forget it."

Amy tilted her head. She could swear . . . "What's your name?"

"Rory." He frowned when Amy's eyes widened. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Amy shook her head. "It's . . . just not what you expect Romans to be called. What's it short for, Roranicus?"

"Yeah," Rory chuckled when he noticed something. "You're crying." Amy checked to see she was indeed crying, tears sliding down her cheeks. She sniffed, and Rory frowned in concern. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," she whispered. "It's like . . . it's like I'm happy. Why am I happy?"

***

The Doctor sighed, using his sonic screwdriver to contact River. "The TARDIS. Where is it? Hurry up - "

"Don't raise your voice, don't look alarmed, just listen," River ordered.

"They're not real," Jessie said. "They can't be real. They're all right here in one of Amy's story books, those exact same Romans."

"The ones I sent you," River clarified. "The ones you're with right now. They're all in a book in Amy's house, a children's picture book."

The Doctor frowned. "What are you even doing there?"

"It's doesn't matter," River huffed. "The TARDIS went wrong. Doctor, how is this possible?"

"Something's using her memories," the Doctor mused. "Amy's memories."

"But how?" River asked.

"Something's been here," Jessie said. "There's burn marks on the grass outside. They have to be landing patterns."

"If they've been to her house, they could have used her psychic residue," the Doctor decided. "Structures can hold memories. That's why houses have ghosts. They could've taken a snapshot of Amy's memories. But why?"

"Doctor, who are those Romans?" River asked.

"Projections, or duplicates."

"But they were helping us. My lipstick even worked!"

"They might think they're real. The perfect disguise. They actually believe their own cover story, right until they're activated."

"Doctor," Jessie said quietly. "They even found a picture of Amy with Rory . . . and Rory was wearing a Centurion uniform."

***

"What's the matter?" Rory asked when Amy put her hand on his face.

"Nothing," Amy shook her head, still crying. "I don't know why I'm doing that."

"It's me," Rory pleaded. "Amy, please. It's me!"

***

"It's a trap," River said. "It has to be. They used Amy to construct a scenario you'd believe, to get close to you."

"Why?" the Doctor wondered. "Who'd do that? What for? It doesn't make sense." Something sparked by Jessie, and the engines went haywire. "Jez?" the Doctor called worriedly. "River? What's happening?"

"I don't know!" Jessie shouted, trying to figure it out. "It's something to do with the engines, Doctor! Something's wrong with the TARDIS, like something else is controlling her!"

"Maybe you're flying it wrong? Is River?"

"I'm flying her perfectly!" River huffed. "The Bad Wolf taught me!"

"I did?" Jessie asked in confusion.

"Where are you?" the Doctor asked.

River checked. "It's the 26th of June, 2018."

The Doctor's voice took on a panicked tone. "You need to get out of there now! Any othe time zone, just go!"

"We can't break free!" Jessie gasped.

"Well, then, shut down the TARDIS! Shut down everything!"

"We can't!"

As the two women worked, neither heard the rasping voice behind them. "Silence will fall. Silence will fall."

***

Amy shook her head. "But I don't know you! I've never seen you before in my life!"

"You have," Rory told her. "You know you have. It's me!"

"Why am I crying?" Amy sobbed.

"Because you remember me," Rory answered, taking her hands. "I came back! You're crying because you remember me."

***

"Someone else is flying it," Jessie panicked as the Doctor paced anxiously. "An external force. We've got no control!"

"But how? Why?" the Doctor asked, not paying attention to the high-pitched noise that echoed the chamber . . . nor the Romans slumping over before straightening slowly. "Listen to me, just land her anywhere. Emergency landing, now. There are cracks in time. We've seen them everywhere, and they're getting wider. The TARDIS exploding is what causes them, but we can stop the cracks ever happening if you just land her."

"It's not safe!" River shouted.

The Doctor would have answered, had the Pandorica not started to open. He smiled as white light spilled out. "Well, now . . . ready to come out, are we?"

"Doctor? We're down," Jessie suddenly said. "We've landed . . . somewhere."

"OK, just walk out of those doors. If there's no one inside, the TARDIS engines shut down automatically. Just get out of there."

"We're going," River answered.

"Run!" the Doctor shouted . . . when the Romans' fingers fell away to reveal weapons.

***

"Doctor!" Jessie panicked, trying to wrench the doors open and failing. "Doctor, we can't open the doors!"

***

"Argh!" Rory groaned, twisting back and forth. "No! No, please! No! I'm not going! I'm Rory!" He gasped, turning to Amy. "Listen to me, you have to run. You have to get as far away fro here as you can. I'm a thing! I'll kill you! Just go! Please, no, I don't want to go! I'm Rory! I'm - I'm - "

"Williams," Amy breathed, eyes wide and full of tears. "Rory Williams, from Leadworth . . . my boyfriend. How could I ever forget you?"

"Amy, you've got to run," Rory wheezed. "I can't hold on. I'm going!"

"You are Rory Williams," Amy said fiercely, grabbing his shoulders. "And you aren't going anywhere ever again!"

***

"Doctor, we can't open the doors," Jessie sobbed. "Doctor, please, we've got seconds!"

"Plastic Romans," the Doctor mumbled, turning to them. "Duplicates, driven by the Nestene Consciousness, eh? Deep cover, but what for? What are you doing? What's in there, eh? What's coming out?"

***

"No choice," Jessie whispered, running to hook the TARDIS engines to the doors, River scrambling to help her.

***

"The Pandorica is ready," one of the Romans answered.

"What, do you mean it's open?" the Doctor asked.

A white Dalek beamed in suddenly. "You have been scanned, assessed, understood, Doctor," it announced as a red and a yellow Dalek each beamed in behind it.

***

"The ring," Amy coaxed. "Remember the ring? You'd never let me wear it in case I lost it."

"The Doctor gave it to me," Rory nodded.

"Show it to me," she ordered. "Show me the ring!"

"Amy - !"

"Come on! Just show it to me!"

Rory swallowed, then pulled it out.

***

"Scanned?" the Doctor asked. "Scanned by what? A box?"

"Your limits and capacities have been extrapolated," the white Dalek said.

A group of Cybermen, Judoon, and Sontarans teleported down next. "The Pandorica is ready," the Sontaran in the lead announced.

"Ready for what?" the Doctor asked in confusion.

"Ready for you," the white Dalek answered as the Romans grabbed onto the Doctor.

***

"There it is," Amy smiled, showing him the ring. "You remember. This is you, and you are staying."

Rory's gun hand activated, and his eyes widened. "No," he whispered, but he was forced to shoot Amy, and she collapsed. "No! No! No!"

***

"Come on!" Jessie screamed, nearly in hysterics as they tried to get out of the TARDIS. "Come on!"

***

"You lot, working together?" the Doctor asked, stunned as he was fastened into the Pandorica, watching all of his old enemies. "An alliance? How is that possible?"

"The cracks in the skin of the universe," the white Dalek answered.

"All reality is threatened," the Sontaran leader added.

"All universes will be deleted," the Cyberleader said.

"What?" the Doctor asked, surprised. "And you've come to me for help?"

"No," the Sontaran denied. "We will save the universe from you!"

"From me?"

"All projections correlate," the Cyberleader said. "All evidence concurs. The Doctor will destroy the universe."

"No, no, no," he shook his head. "You've got it wrong."

"The Pandorica was constructed to ensure the safety of the Alliance."

"A scenario was devised from the memories of your companion," the white Dalek continued.

"A trap the Doctor could not resist," the Sontaran grinned.

"The cracks in time are the work of the Doctor. It is confirmed."

"No, no, no," the Doctor shook his head. "Not me, the TARDIS! And I'm not in the TARDIS, am I?"

"Only the Doctor can pilot the TARDIS."

The Doctor swallowed, realizing that they didn't know about Jessie . . . but she was still inside the TARDIS, trying to get out. "Please, listen to me!" he shouted.

"You will be prevented," the white Dalek said.

"Total event collapse!" the Doctor shouted, trying to get out, but he'd never gotten the hang of Jessie's phasing, and he was losing control of it. "Every sun will supernova at every moment in history! The whole universe will never have existed! Please, listen to me!"

"Seal the Pandorica," the Cyberleader ordered.

"No!" the Doctor screamed, even as it shut. "Please, listen to me! The TARDIS is exploding right now, and I'm the only one who can stop it! Listen to me!"

***

River flung the doors open, but her eyes closed when she saw they were parked next to a rock wall. "I'm so sorry," she breathed, turning to hug Jessie as the TARDIS exploded around them . . .

***

Rory cried, clutching Amy's body close to him . . . even as every star in the sky above him started to wink out of existence, just a wink to him . . . but exploding everywhere else.

***

Hello, First Bad Wolf! :D To clear up for those of you who just joined us (although, I sincerely hope not, since this series makes much more sense if you start from book one), when Jessie became Bad Wolf, she was scattered through time and space, and often shows up when something extremely horrible is about to happen, i.e. The Year That Never Was and "The Waters of Mars."

Wow. Just "The Big Bang," and Series 5 is over! Oho, but we're not done. ;) We've got "A Christmas Carol" AND the Sarah Jane Adventures episode "Death of the Doctor" to go through before we hit the next book. And I bet you guys want to know who's on that Lake Silencio, don't you?

So, to clear up any confusion if there's weird spacing in here, at least my reading pages are badly screwed up. It's a bug of some sort, because sometimes my Author's Notes are cut off. So please, if there's anything wrong, please let me know.

Anyway, "The Big Bang" will be uploaded ASAP!

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

35.8K 1.4K 12
The Battle of Demons Run has ended, but not without casualties. Melody Pond, the daughter of Amy Pond and Rory Williams, is in the hands of Madame Ko...
170K 3.7K 31
In the back garden of a big house housing two sisters, the newly regenerated Doctor tumbles in with his messed up TARDIS, he investigates the scary c...
10.2K 498 27
"I can't figure out how to show you how much you mean to me. You are my golden girl, my dearest friend. I am incredibly lucky to have you next to me...
77.9K 2.5K 115
Being alone is not so bad. It's when the loneliness kicks in that you realise how scared you are. You try to fill the void with all the friends you c...