Faustine the Sensible

By Tseales

Princess Faustine, a secret, self-taught sorceress, must leave her all too conventional kingdom in order to p... More

Faustine the Sensible (A Synopsis)
Prologue
Ch. 1~ Woman in the mirror
Chapter 3 Shock
Chapter 4. The Departure
Chapter 5. The Forbidden Enchanted Forest
Chapter 6. The Permitted Enchanted Forest
Chapter 7. The Lunar Festival
Chapter 8. The Watcher
Chapter 9. The Royal Apothecary
Chapter 10. Dinner in the Treehouse
Chapter 11. The Heart of the Forest
Chapter 12. Pranks and pixie dust
Chapter 13. R&R
Chapter 14. The Curious Case of Leif
Chapter 15. Popping Fizzle Berries
Chapter 16. The Dappled Grove
Chapter 17. Kitchen Escapades
Chapter 18. Weeks End
Ch. 19 Cinder Fever
Chapter 20. What about the attic?

Chapter 2 ~ The rabbit trail ends and another begins

81 7 30
By Tseales

...In which a powerful new spell is cast and a princess' life is altered....

The clock struck 9 PM and my work had begun. I grabbed my black cloak off of my coat rack, swung it about my shoulders, and dashed off into the night. With yet another stealthy departure, I snuck down the hallway of the west quarter sticking to the shadows. These halls were less traveled at any time of day but even less so at these hours.  Perfect. 

I had managed to successfully sneak into the old abandoned laboratory yet again.  My parents, mistakenly of course, believed they could hide its existence from me by covering the halls that led to it in a weighty tapestry. Mistaken indeed. The old, Abandoned lab was among one of my favorite rooms in the entire palace rivaled only by the Grand Library and, of course, the secret rooms within it that seemingly no one knew of.  None of these being secret to me, although I pretended they were, as long as it suited me to do so.

Once inside the lab, I began gathering my ingredients. I placed my spell book on the table top along with the Luminous Purple Posey flower neatly pressed between the pages.  I began my work. First order of business was to extract the magic from the Posey. The lab had everything I needed to do this. I dusted my hands on my navy skirts and open up my book. Page 13. Drawing a deep breath I carefully removed the flower.  It glowed with a faint purple aura meaning that the full moon magic was now in effect. "Excellent" I said and placed it into a small vessel and began to pour glistening, silver moon water over it until it was fully submerged.

There was a gentle tinkling sound, like the music of bells ringing. Fairy magic. 

When the moon magic of the water and the fairy magic of the flower met a created a song. "How lovely," I thought out loud to myself. Just then I heard a sharp rustling sound from the shadowy corner of the room. 

"Revo lumo magnus!" I said and a lantern in the corner lit. I saw nothing, then my cat Onyx came slinking out from beneath a table. He looked at me meaningfully  with his big yellow eyes. He always accompanied me during spell work. His black coat broken by a delicate silver chain lined with rubies and our royal house symbol about his neck. 

"Onyx!" I exclaimed, "you scared me! I almost over poured my precious moon water from the moon lake! You know how precious it is!"  He waltzed over and sat on the oak table next to the water pitcher and stared at his reflection. I had kept it in a silver pitcher and hidden it in my lavender bush in my greenhouse. No one tended to my greenhouse. I wouldn't allow it. I enjoyed growing many a sort of magical plant life in the t. I only trusted Chester to help me. He had all the makings of a powerful young wizard and I wanted to help him grow.

Chester was a young boy of age 10 whom I had met one day when I was in town buying linens at a tradeshow for my secret renovation of my laboratory. We became fast friends when he helped me escape my brother Leonard, and his pernicious, opportunistic girlfriend, Hydrangea. I didn't want to be discovered by them at all.

As I was shopping around I noticed the royal procession. This could only mean someone of my household was approaching in the streets. Quickly, I pulled my cloak over my curly head and ducked into the shadows. I was halfway behind the linen sellers stand without even noticing.

"You need help?" Came a young boys voice.  Looking sharply over my shoulder, I saw a Chester, my soon to be friend.

"Yes," I said. "I don't want to be seen by Prince Leonard. I know him and let's just say he would have too many questions about my being here."

"Hmmmm...Well I can help you. Follow me." He slowly back inside of the dark shop. I followed.

Inside I was surprised to see the shop in a frenzied state. There was an ominous spindle standing in a candlelit corner. Heaps of linens were strewn  about the workspace.  A disorganized table was perched against the back wall, covered in sewing patterns, pin cushions, and untidy spools of thread.

The walls were decorated in shelving dripping in old melted candle wax that  hardened into pools on the tile floor.  A worn red rug was laid out by a fireplace with an old oak rocking chair. Then, in a dark, cold corner was a sad looking mat on the ground with a sorry excuse for a pillow at the head and tattered, fraying blankets.  I hoped that was not this young boys bed.

"This way," the boy said and directed me towards a back window around the corner. It was large enough to fit through.  Chester went through and I followed.

"I'm Chester by the way," he said as I pulled my leg through the window.

"Fastsudtine," I replied as I took in my surroundings. We were in a small alleyway between buildings. Dashing to the end of the alley I peaked around the corner. "Dammit!" I need to get my linens today but that procession is blocking the way. If I go now I'll surely be spotted.  I really need to get back home before I'm missed. I skipped lessons for this trip today."

"HMMM. What did you need today? If you tell me I can grab it for you and you can pay me and I will give it to my master."

I thought it over. It wasn't a bad idea. "It's a pretty big order," I began "I'm renovating my laboratory in the Palace."

"You're the princess?" Chester bellowed.

"Yes yes, but please hush. I don't want anyone knowing right now." He looked at me admiringly but said nothing.

"OK," I said, "I have an idea. I'll place an Order on the linens but I'll need help getting them back home. Also -"

"Home?! As in the royal palace?!" He interjected.

"Yeah." I said in reply as I rummaged about for a pen.

"I'll help!" He cried hopping up on his toes.

"OK, OK." I replied, "But remember, hush. No one can know about it for now." I was beginning to formulate a plan, one for me, and one for Chester.

Just then the shopkeep shouted from across the house, "Chester where are you! I swear you're such a worthless weasel! The Royals are close by! We should stand a chance to actually make a good earning for once. Get here before I make you sleep on the street again!"

Chester rolled his eyes and as he crawled through the window I heard him say, "yeah, I wish it." Once through he looked back at me. I handed him a parchment with my order on it out of the leather pouch on my utility belt.

"Here," I said.

"Thanks. I'll be right back." And he vanished into the darkness.  I popped my head in the window to look after him. I did not like the sound of the shop keep in the least. I couldn't see much or hear clearly what Chester  was saying to the man. I could hear a rough voice calling out insults. I heard Chester call the man master several times. Then the man started yelling and I couldn't miss it if I tried.

"I didn't have to pick you up off the streets you know! Orphan or no orphan you are an ungrateful brat! You're lucky to have a roof over your head!" Chester tried explaining he had a customer place an order and had to go. "The Royals are coming!"The man exclaimed in frustration.

"I know, but you will have to tend to them yourself this time. This is a big order and it is needed right away.  I must go now."

I could see Chester's shadowy figure scurrying about the shop packing my order. I wanted to help him so he could get away faster from the shopkeeper. I knew just how I could.

I heard grumbling and moments later Chester came into view. I smiled and got out of the way.

"How much do I owe you?" I asked.

"____ 347.99" he replied.

I nodded and handed him a small pouch of gold and silver coins "keep the change."

"Thank you. That's very generous."

"You've helped me tremendously today...and you're about to help me more... That is if you want to.  It'll be fun, I promise...well, my kind of fun at least." I explained. 

"I'm game!"

"OK great! Right this way," I waved and began leading him down the alley in the opposite way of the busy streets.

"When we get to the palace we will enter through a secret entrance... I can't let you see it OK?  I'll have to blindfold you for a few minutes."

"Aw! I really can't see?"

"No Chester, not today."

"Fine but only for a few minutes right?"

"Right," I said reassuringly.

We pressed on unseen by anyone, ducking behind ledges, hedges and the occasional Brambleberry bush all the way there.

The palace was coming into view . I veered off the path to approach it from the west side where the gardens were. Once off the road, and under significant tree cover, I blindfolded Chester and walked on a bit further. We came to and iron grate opening in the castle wall heavily covered in moss and climbing Ivy. I recited one of my favorite incantations that allowed one to open something with a simple locking mechanism without a sound.

"Opificus narro!" I said with a flick of my wrist. To my delight the iron grate yielded in absolute silence.

"Was that a spell!?" Chester asked barely daring to whisper with a blindfold on.

"Well... Yes. Now come on. Right this way."

We entered a dark tunnel large enough to walk comfortably side-by-side. Moss grew on either side and made the walk surprisingly refreshing rather than dank and gloomy as one might expect of an underground tunnel.

We scurried along together keeping a decent pace. After a few turns or so I decided to relieve Chester of his blindness. We came upon the gate to the gardens. The noon day sunlight hit my eyes as I step foot into the garden. Once recovered I began to lead Chester along the walls towards the nearest wing of the palace. Not much would arouse suspicions at this point but I still wished not to be noticed if I could manage it. I was disappointed.

"Your majesty's Princess Faustine!" A voice called not far from us. I looked sharp and saw Gregor the groundskeeper. He was friendly and kind. A slight, brown man with salt and pepper hair and a mustache that looked like a prickly caterpillar.

"Hello Gregor." I said and turned to walk towards him. I motioned for Chester to come along too, letting him know it was alright. "This is my new friend Chester."

The groundskeeper looked somewhat amused. "Oh lovely!" He exclaimed, "hello there."

"Hello," Chester said as he bowed slightly and shook hands with him. "These are the most amazing gardens I have ever seen in my whole life!"

"I certainly hope they are! These aren't just any gardens! They are the royal ones!" He piped beaming with pride.

"I know sir," Chester replied happily. "I've just never had a garden of my own to tend to. You see, I always wanted one but I doubt that my master, the shopkeeper, will ever allow it."

"That's too bad! I can see a young boy like yourself could have a marvelous garden! Hey, I just remembered that I've been on the lookout for an assistant of my own. An apprentice if you will. I'm not getting any younger myself and I could use the help around here. There is a lot to tend to and it can be a lot for an old man like myself. What do you say? You up for the job?"

"Are you offering me a job? Here? At the palace?! Why of course, I'd love it!... But my mast-"

"Don't you even worry about that. All palace employees live here on the grounds. You'd live with me in my house just over the garden wall. That is, if you want the job."

"Yes! Yes I'd love the job!" Chester said overjoyed. I smiled knowingly. Happy accidents.

That was how I met Chester. He's been here now for nearly a year. I gave him a spell or two to help with the gardening work and that was all it took. He took a steep interest in the magical arts. The grounds have never looked better and Gregor has never been happier. Neither has Chester for that matter. And all are none the wiser to the magic thriving right under their little noses.

Whoops! I nearly knocked over my flame dust lost in thought. Clever Onyx caught it just in time.

"Thank you Onyx," I said

He gave a soft purr in response. It was nearly midnight and my spell work was moving right along. Perfect timing because that was the last ingredient I still needed. I added the flame dust To my cauldron and instantly all the contents turned deep red in color. A bright red puff arose from the bowl and began billowing over the table.

"It's ready," I said allowed and carried my cauldron, cold to the touch, over to the fire. I sat myself comfortably on the rug and drew a deep breath. Now I need to focus on the incantation. I drew the words up from deep within me and put voice to the incantation.

A face emerged from the fire as I spoke the last of the words. I had summoned the fire salamander to the earth successfully. Here's to hoping all went well. But I knew that this spell was nowhere near the pinnacle of my magical potential. If I were to pursue my practice and further my skills I couldn't remain here long. Here meaning the palace. Here meaning my home. And if I were being completely honest, here meaning the kingdom too. That was the only real way for me to pursue my magic. The only real answers for me lie elsewhere and I knew that. I had been formulating a plan for quite some time. Concocting all sorts of devious plans. But, when it really came down to it, I was stalling.

"Yes you have been," Said the salamander.

I jumped taken aback by His addressing my musings.

"Did you just -"

"My name is Sylvester and I know exactly why you are here."

"Really? How so?"

"I've been expecting you. You have been foretold."

"OK," I stuttered, "um ... Well then...The cloaked woman? Do you know of whom I speak of?"

"I do. She has been foretold also, but she is nothing like you. Not at all."

"But who is she?" I persistent. "I've been longing to know more for so many years. I've learned so much just trying to discover the truth. I must know."

"She is not who you think she is, Faustine," Sylvester replied seriously, "this woman is powerful. And she is not your friend."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369K 10K 37
"Suddenly, I found our faces so close together, I could feel his warm breath caressing my face. It smelt slightly of mint, and an undercurrent that w...
18 0 16
A Young Woman: Twenty-two year-old Eva Mallory has never felt truly herself. But that's normal, right? Especially given that her only remaining fami...
216 70 14
As a young girl, she never once felt alone.. As her parents split, she goes to live with her aunt. Finding out her mother has kept some pretty import...
2.2K 186 37
In a far away Kingdom where the concept of evil has been blurred, there is one witch who has decided to take back the story. Prince Charming wasn't t...