Aramora

By Medianoki

(Imperium Saga, Book 2) Naomi Morris lives an average, boring teenage life. That is up until a strange old ma... More

Chapter 1: Rift in the Clouds
Chapter 2: No Man's Land
Chapter 3: What Lies Beyond
Chapter 4: Shifting Forces
Chapter 5: Emissaries
Chapter 6: Live Today
Chapter 7: The City of Thieves
Chapter 8: Innocence
Chapter 9: Outside the Walls
Chapter 10: Rat
Chapter 11: The Fragment
Chapter 12: Narvadin
Chapter 13: No One is Innocent
Chapter 14: The Heart
Chapter 15: Kept in the Dark
Chapter 16: Calm Waters
Chapter 17: Nobility in Spirit
Chapter 18: Small Piece of a Big Game
Chapter 19: Worth Fighting For
Chapter 20: Memories
Chapter 21: Was it Worth it?
Chapter 22: Side Quest
Chapter 23: Invitation
Chapter 24: Sowing the Seed
Chapter 25: Fallible
Chapter 26: The Warrior's Test
Chapter 28: Trial of Courage
Chapter 29: Trial of Aptitude
Chapter 30: Trial of Honor
Chapter 31: Teeth and Blood
Chapter 32: Cursed With a Blessing
Chapter 33: Waves and Sand
Chapter 34: Die Tomorrow
Chapter 35: The White Wolf
Chapter 36: Prophet
Chapter 37: See You Soon

Chapter 27: Restoring Honor

34 5 0
By Medianoki

Amazing cover image made by Shreya_VA <3

__________________________________________________

The anxiety in the air heavily weighs down on everyone who was forced to wait outside the fortress of the Kirix Tribe while Nesosa and Malachi went inside to speak with the leader of the Kirix Tribe, Evgenia Val'Kirix. If this is the extent of the apprehension they are feeling, they can't imagine how it must feel to actually be in there face-to-face with the leader of the tribe you've been shunned by.

Nesosa's father, Galian, had to leave not long after they all woke up due to some issue that they don't know much about as it seemed pretty confidential. In his absence, Jerair, Naomi, Nisha and Lavern are forced to babysit Corb and Todo while they wait for the missing members of their party to return.

Jerair has to swiftly rush over to the edge of the cliff to catch Corb as Todo nearly knocked him off, but unlike in the canyon, the top of a mountain at the edge of the Recharn Sea is not exactly an ideal place to fall. Maybe it would be if the sea was clear, but the Recharn Sea is notorious for its jagged rocks and violent waves.

"Boys, please, settle down! We are in front of the Kirix Fortress so we need to show the proper respect. So let's all just take a deep breath and relax. I know you kids have a lot of energy running through you right now, but how about we turn it into positive energy, okay?" Jerair says as he pushes his sons away from the edge of the cliff and back towards Naomi, Nisha and Lavern where they're standing closer to the fortress entrance.

Corb steps away from his dad and bangs his fist on his chest. "Alright, Father! With my positive energy I am certain I can survive dropping off that cliff!" he says and rushes around Jerair to try going over the edge of the cliff again.

Nisha sighs. "Hey kids," she calls to them.

Mid-sprint, Corb skids to a halt and turns to look at her and Todo does the same. "Yes, oh mighty Lioness?" Corb asks with his hand over his heart.

Nisha snickers and nods to Lavern, "I don't think Lavern, here, has passed the Warrior's Test," she hints with a grin and elbows Lavern's shoulder.

"What are you doing?" Lavern whispers viciously.

Nisha rolls her eyes. "You're a Cle, they'd be lucky to be able to catch you. Just keep them busy and don't let them get themselves killed, alright?"

Lavern sighs and throws his head back as the two boys look him over intently.

"Hm... It seems the Lioness is correct, Brother!" Todo exclaims.

Corb firmly nods to accentuate his agreement. "Indeed, Brother! Let us put this elf through the Warrior's Test! If he makes it out without losing his entrails, he is worthy! Brother, charge!" the boy shouts and they both start sprinting full-force at Lavern, who swiftly dodges out of the way of their attempted strike.

Before running off, he glares at Nisha. "I hate you," he deadpans which results in a playful wink from the Tus'Felnis.

Naomi and Nisha watch Lavern run off with the centaur boys charging after him with their fists in the air and Corb finds and grabs a stick, wielding it like a greatsword.

Jerair sighs with relief and walks over to them. "Oh, thank you. I hope your friend will be alright. My boys can get pretty rough sometimes," he says and sits down with his horse legs folded under him.

Nisha shrugs and stretches her arms back. "Don't worry, I know how to deal with violent preteen boys. My little brothers were a lot like them, only a bit less bloodthirsty, and that's saying something coming from a family of pirates," she chuckles and brings her arms back down to rest her hands in her lap.

Jerair smiles. "Well, whatever the case, I'm grateful for the help," he says.

Nisha nods and they sit in silence for a moment while they wait. But as Nisha starts to look around in idle boredom, her gaze finds itself cast onto Naomi. She is sitting against a rock with her head down, staring at her hands as she taps her fingers in her lap. Downcast isn't the word Nisha would use to describe the look on her face. Maybe inquisitive with a hint of frustration, if she's reading her right.

Curious and bored, Nisha gets up and walks over, sitting atop the rock Naomi is leaning back against. Naomi didn't seem to notice her, so Nisha leans forward so her head is hovering directly above her, and the shadow catches Naomi's attention and she looks up to see Nisha's face fill her view.

"Somethin' up?" Nisha asks and tilts her head.

Naomi sighs and shakes her head. "Nah, not really. Just... thinking," she says and looks forward again.

Nisha sits straight with her legs crossed and narrows her eyes at her. "About what?"

Naomi shrugs and shifts to turn towards the rock to look up at her. Again, there's really nothing wrong. But that doesn't mean that everything's fine. Something isn't right. Maybe. It's hard to place, but maybe Nisha will be able to provide some insight that might help her.

"The past two nights, I've had these... weird dreams," she starts.

"Were you naked and being carried by a giant seagull?" Nisha asks with a tilt of her head.

Naomi was going to comment on the specificity of her example, but she decides to leave it at that. Pirate dreams are fucking weird.

"No... Not that kind of weird. Weird as in, like, vivid. Where I'm fully aware that it's a dream, but I have no control... Like watching a movie. You know you're watching it and that it's not real, but it feels like you're really there, but you can't do anything," she explains.

"What's a 'movie'?" Nisha asks.

Naomi sighs and pats Nisha's leg. "Oh you poor thing..." she closes her eyes and shakes her head. "A movie is a sequence of moving pictures that show a story. That's what these dreams have felt like. Images in my mind that are showing me a story, but they don't seem to be the same story. Or maybe they are? I really can't tell," she says and looks down as she tries to think about it some more.

"What do you see?" Nisha asks and slowly slides down the rock to sit next to her on the stone ground.

Naomi doesn't even need to stop and think about it. It's still so vivid in her mind. "In the first one, I was surrounded by darkness and I could see fires burning all around me, but I couldn't tell where I was or where the fire was coming from. Then, everything went dark and I saw the rift to Eutria glowing, but before I could reach it, there was a white flash," she recalls easily.

Nisha hears her words and tries to envision what she's describing in her head. She can kinda see it, but it's not giving her that same dreadful feeling that Naomi had. Maybe that's what made it so memorable. The feeling.

"What was the second one?" Nisha asks as she returns her focus to the present.

Naomi closes her eyes as the images come back to her. "I was in a house made of wood. There were more fires both inside and outside the house. I was a child in a bedroom, hiding under a desk while hearing fighting coming from outside. Swords and shouting. Then a person came into the room, and then the white flash happened again and I woke up," she explains.

"Did you see what the person looked like?" Nisha asks. Naomi sees something in her eyes change, but she can't tell what it is.

Naomi shakes her head. "No. I could hear that they were wearing heavy armor by the sound of their footsteps, but after they saw me under the desk, they lowered down to look at me, but before I could see who it was—"

"The flash returned," Nisha finishes for her and Naomi nods.

Nisha looks down as she thinks, trying to piece some kind of puzzle together in her head, but is missing too many pieces to even get a general idea of what it's supposed to make.

"You said you were in a child's room, yeah? Did you see anything in the room that might be able to tell you where you were?" she asks.

Naomi closes her eyes as she tries to remember. The larger pieces of the dream were easier to recall, but tiny details like that are a bit more difficult. She remembers seeing the dark blue bedsheets. The desk. The books on the floor next to the bed.

She tries to focus hard enough to see what those books were called. She could tell they were fairytales, but she doesn't know what fairytales are common outside of Eutria.

Blocking out everything in the present, Naomi focuses only on the moving images.

________________

She's back under the desk in darkness, in a house surrounded by fire. She blocks out the sounds of clashing swords and shouting and the flames and darkness, and only focuses on those books.

They are piled on top of each other, making it so that she can only really see the one on top. A fairytale called 'When Kingdom Comes'. It's not something she's ever heard of, not that she's spent much time in the libraries of Aramora.

She hears the footsteps coming again and tells her mind to snap out of the memory of her dream, but she can't pull herself out.

The door breaks open again and the person walks in. Again, this child she's become in the dream tries to be silent, but it's not enough.

The person starts to lower to see her again, but the white flash snaps her out of it before she can see their face.

"Naomi!" Nisha shakes her shoulder.

"Should we go get a paramedic?" Jerair asks.

Nisha glares at him. "I'm a Life Mar. I'm the best paramedic around, asshat," she says and keeps her focus on Naomi to see as she opens her eyes and looks around at the two in question.

"Paramedic? What happened?" she asks.

Nisha huffs and allows herself to loosen up. "You completely turned off. Your face went more pale than it already is and you just... left. I don't know how else to describe it," she says and shakes her head. "Are you okay? What was that?"

Naomi shrugs. "I don't know, I was just remembering my dream," she says, unbothered as if nothing happened. Because for her, nothing really did happen.

Jerair sighs and takes a step back to give her some room to breathe, even though she feels perfectly fine. "From what it looked like, you seemed to be experiencing an out of body experience. Seems you really get into it when you remember stuff, don't you?" he asks.

Naomi scratches the back of her head. "Not really?" she chuckles and rolls her eyes. "Jeez, you guys need to relax. I'm fine," she says.

Nisha narrows her eyes as she tries to decipher if she's bullshitting, but she doesn't seem to be lying. She really is unfazed by whatever just happened and she isn't feeling at all weird after seemingly having her ghost be sucked out of her body.

"Well... did you at least remember whatever you were trying to remember?" Nisha asks with a sigh, not exactly happy with letting that brief moment of panic slide but can tell that there's really nothing Naomi can say that would make it more understandable.

Naomi nods. "Yeah. In the dream, I saw some books. I could only see the name of one, though. 'When Kingdom Comes'. Is that a fairytale here or something?" she asks.

Jerair shakes his head. "Not exactly here. If I recall, that's a Manatria fairytale. I don't remember what it's about, but I've heard it's pretty common over in the Maanitel Isles."

Nisha looks down again as she thinks, now having a new piece to fit into her brain puzzle, but she can't figure out where it's supposed to click into place. "So... lemme get this straight," Nisha starts. "You had a dream where you were in Manatria, where you have never been before, and saw a book that you've never seen before. Correct?" she stares Naomi in the eyes, trying to take a peek into her soul to find the rest of the missing pieces, but something tells her that she won't find them there.

Naomi nods. "Yep, pretty much."

Nisha sighs and holds her head in her hands. "Outsiders are so confusing..." she takes a deep breath and brings her hands back down. "I've got nothing on these dreams. Maybe once we get back to Ecrin, you should ask Athemar or Magister Renéyus, who specializes in Mind Magic. Other than that, I've got no clue," she says.

Naomi nods and stretches her arms out. "Cool, I'll do that if I get a chance. Though, it's nothing urgent. I think we should probably focus more on the impending doom than some weird-ass dreams," she says and chuckles.

Leaving it at that, they just sit and continue waiting for Nesosa and Malachi.

________________________________
__________________

There's nothing Nesosa hates more than bowing her head in shame as she's forced to bite her tongue and just take the scorn. She supposes she should be grateful to have even been allowed in the fortress, but she's not. She doesn't want to be in Kilead, let alone in the Kirix Fortress. She doesn't want to take the Warrior's Test.

But for the sake of Aramora, she's gotta suck it up long enough to get the fragment.

"Nesosa. Two years ago, when ye were going tae take th' Warrior's Test, ye were one o' th' few who ah saw great potential in. Which ye should ken is nae something ah see often. Ah saw th' potential fur ye tae be one o' th' greatest Kileyan warriors our people have ever seen. But instead o' living up tae yer destiny, ye ran from it," Evgenia Val'Kirix's voice sends shivers down both Nesosa and Malachi's spines. The raw power it sends echoing through the long stone hall from where she sits atop her throne of rock.

Nesosa has to resist lashing out at hearing this all over again. As if she doesn't already know what she did. Everyone acts like it's such a surprise that they want to believe she was also unaware of what she was doing when she decided to run. But she knows damn well what she did and she would do it again in a heartbeat.

Evgenia continues, staring down the length of her hall at the two heads bowed to her. "But now, as th' world turns 'n' threatens tae stop, ye return. Nae only dae ye come crawling back, but ye bring outsiders who demand mah cooperation in aiding th' Order, which ah would have nae part of. Sae tell me, why should ah consider hearing ye out 'n' nae send ye tae th' Pits right now?" she demands, asking the question intended for Nesosa, but watching expectantly as Malachi slowly lifts his head at meet her empowering gaze.

"Your grace, I won't lie and say I completely understand centaur culture, but I do know that strength is what your people value above just about everything else. Strength and honor. While the Dev'al Ordon may not be an ideal model for this continent, you can't deny that they are strong. Now, don't mistake this for me defending the High Order. I'm not happy about this either, but like Nesosa being here right now, there are just some things that we have to do for the greater good, even if it stabs us in the pride," Malachi goes on, making sure to choose each word with care. Normally talking to leaders isn't so intimidating, but centaur Tribe Leaders might decide to decapitate you if you say the wrong thing.

Evgenia slowly nods and looks down with a smirk and a small chuckle. "Well said. Very well, ah will hear ye out but only 'til ah have decided ah'v heard enough," she says and motions for him to stand.

Malachi takes a deep breath as he slowly rises to his feet, throwing a quick glance to Nesosa who keeps her head down in silence.

He returns his focus to the Tribe Leader. "As I'm sure you're aware by now, Athemar believes Aramora is in danger of being destroyed. I'm no fan of the self-righteous Grand Master, however what I am quite fond of is living. Which is something I'm sure you can relate to, your grace," he speaks slowly, seeing her eyes watch him closely as he seems to pique her interest with his word choice.

He continues, "In order to prevent this destruction, we need to be sure the Schism Fragments are in the hands of the Dev'al Ordon. We would ask for the fragment now, but I understand how important honor is for you. Which is why we want to do whatever it takes to restore Nesosa's honor, first, before expecting to make any kind of deal. She has come here in good faith to make amends for her betrayal, and wishes to restore her honor," he makes sure to never let his eyes break the intense gaze of the Tribe Leader. A gesture of respect but also assertiveness.

Evgenia examines him carefully, intrigued by his confident demeanor of both showing respect, but also commanding it. She always enjoys meeting people who do not show any fear of her, especially from a human. As he said, strength and honor are valued above all else, and he wears both on his sleeve.

She finally lets her eyes break his gaze, impressed he wasn't the first to look away. She looks down at Nesosa and narrows her eyes as she slowly rises from her throne.

Nesosa hears the clacking of hooves approaching her, but she fights to keep her head down and not make this all go to shit. Just keep it together for a little bit longer and this can be over soon.

The hooves stop directly in front of her, just within eyesight of Nesosa's downward gaze. Her whole body tenses, but she remembers to show strength and respect, however she is not to command respect of her own. Not yet.

The Tribe Leader reaches down and cups Nesosa's cheek, lifting her head and forcing her to look up at her and meet her threatening glare. She breathes steadily and forces herself to keep the eye contact long enough for Evgenia to speak.

Val'Kirix removes her hand from her face and watches her expectantly, "Dae ye still remember th' vows, Nesosa?" she asks.

Nesosa only nods once with her eyes locked in place. Evgenia says nothing and just stands firm as she waits to hear her say something. Nesosa stifles a deep breath that would calm her down, but it would also show her anxiety.

"Th' blood on my blade is th' honor o' my path. My tribe; blood o' my blood, 'n' bone o' my bone. Ah give tae thee my strength, fur my tribe is my sacrament 'n' my fidelity is my gift. Ah swear by my sword tae live, breathe 'n' die tae honor th' Kirix name," she recites and bows her head again as she finishes.

Evgenia smiles and hums her approval. She takes a step back which gets Nesosa to look at her again to see her motion for Nesosa to stand.

She rises to her hooves and stands at her full height, which is only a little shorter than the Tribe Leader. She remakes the eye contact and keeps her gaze stern, resolidifying her vigorous prominence.

Evgenia holds out her hand with her palm flat and faced up, still watching Nesosa with expectancy in her daunting stare. Nesosa automatically places her hand in the Tribe Leader's with a blank expression on her face.

Evgenia reaches down to her leather belt around her waist with her free hand and grabs the hilt of a golden dagger. Nesosa manages to keep their eyes locked, even as Evgenia turns Nesosa's hand over and slices the dagger across her palm.

Nesosa doesn't flinch and simply lowers her hand back to her side. Evgenia takes the blood-coated dagger and walks back up to her throne. Beside the throne is a golden box with a thin slit in the top sitting atop a stone table and she inserts the dagger in the slit. The box illuminates for a moment, and at the same time, Nesosa glows and grunts as she feels a pulse course through her body.

The light goes away and Evgenia turns back to face the pair with a smile on her face. "Th' blood contract has been made. Tomorrow at dusk, Nesosa Val'Dernak will take th' Warrior's Test. Th' three trials include th' Trial o' Courage, th' Trial o' Aptitude, and th' Trial o' Honor. She is tae be accompanied by someone o' her choice who is tae observe her test, but nae intervene in any way," she states and looks directly at Nesosa.

"Who dae ye choose tae monitor yer progression through th' trials?" Evgenia asks.

Nesosa wants to look down as she thinks about her choice, but she is determined to remain firm and confident in both her gaze and words. So instead, she says the name that comes the most naturally to her.

"Lavern Dev'Alrich," she answers simply.

Malachi nods to back up her decision. "As a Cle, he will be able to easily observe without getting involved in any fighting or activities that the test entails," he states.

Evgenia sits back down on her throne with a smile on her face. "Mr. Wood. Go retrieve this Cle 'n' bring him 'ere sae we can let him ken wha' is going tae be expected o' him," she waves her hand back towards the towering wooden doors.

Malachi simply nods and turns to leave, trying to move quickly enough to get the hell out of there so he can breathe again, but slowly enough to not make it seem like he's running.

"So... Your Court Mar is going to cast a spell on my brain that lets you all watch what I'm seeing with some kind of magic image projection so you can know how Nesosa is doing on the 'Warrior's Test', but I'm not allowed to help her fight or figure anything out while I'm there? Is that about right?" Lavern asks, not giving two shits about the intimidating presence of the Tribe Leader or the palace.

He's spent the last hour running away from small terrifying children who wanted to throw him off a cliff, he feels much safer in here.

Evgenia chuckles and simply nods. "Correct," she says.

Lavern shrugs and tucks his hands in his pockets. "Sounds good to me. Anything to get out of babysitting those demon children. I'll leave that job to Naomi and her cat. So, dusk?" he asks for confirmation from the Tribe Leader.

"Dusk," she turns to Malachi. "And as fur th' Schism Fragment, in honor o' th' meaning o' this display o' th' Warrior's Test bein' th' salvation o' Aramora, th' reward Nesosa will be tasked wi' retrieving at th' end o' th' final trial will be th' fragment itself," Evgenia explains.

Lavern snickers. "Well that's convenient."

"If that concludes our meeting," Malachi turns to the two members of their group. "We should get back to the girls and explain to them as well as Jerair and the..." he shakes his head, "Never mind, we won't tell the boys," he says and looks back to Evgenia.

"Thank you for hearing us out and giving Nesosa a chance to make amends," he says with a respectful bow that Nesosa copies and Lavern realizes a bit too late that he probably should have bowed too, but he doesn't and instead offers a short nod.

The Tribe Leader nods back and says nothing as she simply watches them as they leave.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 776 33
(Book 1 of The Zoshan Chronicles) What would you do to save the only family you have left? How far would you go? On a cold night, tragedy struck the...
Rift By Med

Science Fiction

902 87 38
(Imperium Saga, Book 6) This is what it all comes down to. Nearing the end that could result in either unity for the world or being left forever divi...
7.2K 385 32
~Lesbian romance & Mature language~ *Second book in The Haven Series* *Cannot be read as a stand-alone book* Here we are five years later, fighting f...
7.8K 827 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...