Power of the Kings: Round Two

Von Buttercup-Rosie

Sakura Kururugi has had to play an act for the last year after the Black Knights revolution crumbled when Zer... Mehr

Prologue
Living a Lie
The Demon Awakens
The Return of Zero
Cooking with the Student Council
Spying
Rescuing Prisoners of War
The Knight of Seven Arrives
The School Festival
Slow Dancing
Little Fairy
Fireworks
Out to Sea
A Million Miracles
Kidnapping an Empress
Power of the Heart
A Bad Call
Cupid Day
Geass Limit
Destroying the Order
The C's World
The United Federation of Nations
Broken
Rejecting the Ragnarök
Emperor Lelouch
The Democratic Way
The Final Battle
The Zero Requiem
Epilogue: Loose Ends
Epilogue: School
Epilogue: Little Mountain Home

Crashing A Banquet

117 4 6
Von Buttercup-Rosie

+XXXXXXXX+

The Chinese Federation has been an alliance of nations boasting the largest population in the world since as long as I can remember. However, I have always known it to be like an old man when it comes to areas that matter. The symbol of their alliance is a young girl. The Empress Tianzi that is too young to even be thinking about anything the Chinese Federation makes her learn about. Her childhood is being taken from her, and I am someone who understands that more than anything.

There is also the ruling class, which is controlling society from within her shadow with a tyrannical hold that they never want to let go. Poverty and stagnation have sapped the light and life from the people of this nation. I've seen it over and over again when I dwell too long on the federation. This is where the Black Knights have sought refuge now that we have fled Japan.

The High Eunuchs, the most powerful men at the time, have lent the Japanese people the man-made island of Horai. This island was built for tidal power generation of the Jiangsu Providence off the coast of the Yellow Sea. The arrangement was worked out well in advance, with my political input when needed. The implications of this deal are slowly going to reveal themselves as everything settles into place.

As for now, I am looking out a window as kids rush around the streets with their belongings in their arms. My mask has been off since the shore of Japan disappeared, but the Infinity dress has remained on as I've had no time to change.

The room contains Kallen, Zero, and Diethard along with me. The Britannian man has been giving updates to us, but all I can hear are the giggles and screams from the kids below. A pang spreading through my heart as past me longs to run through the streets with them.

"We've finished picking out staff leader candidates," Diethard's voice finally snaps me out of my trance. "Should we assign them to the Ikaruga for now?"

"Yes," Lelouch answers. "That leaves us with the municipal leaders."

I look over to see Kallen at the computer in the room. It feels odd to be so close to her, but we are in completely different spheres.

"Correct," Diethard says. "Let's work with the intelligence section and get that set up. Now then, if you'll excuse me." His footsteps fade away as the door hisses shut.

Kallen looks up, locking eyes with me. "Are we sure that we can trust Diethard? He acts on his own, like he did with Sayako."

"I've thought the same thing," I look over at Lelouch as he steps up to the counter full of buttons that I have little idea of what they do. "Except, I always come back to trusting him because his motives make sense. Britannia have branded him a wanted man, so he's not selling us out to them."

Lelouch closes the windows to the room with a single button press. "On the contrary, he's easy to read."

"Huh?" Kallen mumbles.

He takes the Zero mask off, holding it in his hand. "In that man's mind, he's trying to turn Zero into a symbol for God, and Infinity into a sort of lover. Going from there, you can guess what actions he'll take."

"He also has quite the talent of manipulating information," I shrug my cape off my shoulders, folding it as I walk over to place it down on open counterspace. "Granted, he's been doing that for a long time with making Britannia and all the royals look greater than they truly are."

Lelouch steps up to me, running a hand over my side before setting his mask next to my cape. "No comment on being my lover," he whispers.

I hum, snatching his cape off his shoulders and start to fold it. "It was aimed at Infinity, but I thought it was clear I was your lover," I look up and bat my eyelashes.

He chuckles, pressing a quick kiss to my lips. "That is true. We need some time just for us, blossom."

I giggle, shoving him away, "Yes, we do, after the job in here is done."

He turns as Kallen climbs onto the table to reach a panel in the ceiling. "No visions regarding us taking down the capitol here?"

"All Chinese Federation visions are about Empress Tianzi, and all I really see is her being a cute little doll. My whole heart has to be invested in order for me to force visions of particular events. I fixed myself, so I'll never experience what I did when my Geass took over again. I'll continue letting my dreams be taken over, and random flashes in my waking life. That's how I have grown to live with it, and I wouldn't want it any other way."

"You seriously want to take down the Chinese Federation's capitol?" Kallen asks, messing around with the ceiling panel.

"In such a way that we won't be viewed as invaders," Lelouch kneels to open a panel in the wall under where Kallen is standing. "If we overthrow Luoyang, we clear a lot of conditions for defeating Britannia."

"Like a chess game, but on steroids," I add, looking up as Kallen looks away from the panel. Then a small smile spreads across her face, which causes me to giggle.

"What is it?" Lelouch firmly asks.

"Hm?" I blink, looking down at him.

"Wha?" Kallen snaps out of her trance a little, and her foot slips against the edge of the table.

"Kallen!" I reach out for her, feeling a burst of Geass as I push her out of Lelouch's way. She lands on her back right next to Lelouch who has fallen back on his butt. "Holy shit, sorry! I didn't think I could actually move a person!"

"No, thank you," she lets out a breath. "Lelouch, tell me something. Why did you come back to us?"

"Kallen, when this is all over, will you return with Sakura and me to Ashford?"

I softly smile, feeling a presence that I only know is C.C. "I look forward to actually being in school."

"You see, I-" Lelouch starts, but is cut off by C.C.

"Tabasco."

I look over to see the girl eating a piece of pizza, and her cheese character plushie in one arm.

"How long have you been here?" Lelouch looks over as Kallen pushes onto her elbows to turn her head enough to look at the girl.

"It needs Tabasco, but all we have is hot sesame oil," C.C. ignores his question. "What should I do?"

"I wouldn't know."

"I wouldn't either," Kallen says.

"Where did you get pizza?" I tilt my head slightly to the side.

A beep fills the room before my cousin Kaguya's voice rings out. "Master Zero, please come to the Ikaruga, hurry! We've got trouble!"

"As much as I know her to be dramatic, I think she's serious," I sigh.

"We'll have our time together," Lelouch softly smiles, standing up and grabbing my hand. "After we figure out what the trouble is."

"You really didn't think you could move a person, Sakura?" Kallen asks, fully sitting up.

I look over at her, "I mean, I can move anything. It is just that a person is different than an object, and I don't move people ever. Only Lelouch once, and now you. It didn't feel wrong, did it?"

"It was strange, but not wrong. Saved me from falling on your boyfriend."

"I appreciate that," Lelouch presses a kiss to my forehead.

"Hopefully Kaguya doesn't bring up how she's going to marry you in a few years," I grab my cape. "Or talks about how I'm part of some group of girls to please you while she can't," I roll my eyes.

"Hm, that's interesting," Lelouch hums, grabbing his mask. "Who is in this group?"

"Shut up!" I shove him. "That is not the point you were supposed to get from that comment."

"I'm teasing," he grins, leaning back towards me. "I'm just going along with her to keep her happy. You're the only girl I need."

I grin back, "I better be."

It doesn't take long for Lelouch to put his mask and cape back on, and then with his hand in mine, we head over to the Ikaruga. The room where everyone is gathered reminds me of a lot of the front room of the G1, with the front having various levels where different ranks of Black Knights members sit. There's a set of chairs like a throne at the top of these levels, which we sit down in. All the core members of the Black Knights are standing around waiting for the news.

"Master Zero!" Kaguya exclaims. "And Sakura, I guess I should have called for you as well, as our politician."

"You can call me Mistress Infinity even if I don't have my mask on," I intertwine my fingers with Lelouch. "Now, what is the problem?"

"There's going to be a political marriage."

My eyes widen as the words settle.

"What!?" Lelouch blurts out. "A political marriage?"

"Yes," Kaguya nods. "I received an invitation to the wedding through the Sumeragi Conglomerate. The bride-to-be is the empress, icon of the Chinese Federation. I'm her good friend, and she wants me to attend."

"And the groom is to be the first prince of Britannia," Tohdoh adds.

"That one they call Odysseus," Rakshata muses.

I give Lelouch's hand a squeeze, wishing I could raise it up to press a kiss to his knuckles.

"Its too soon to activate the plan we've set up," Diethard says as he is standing by Lelouch's side. "I didn't expect that the High Eunuchs would-"

"No," I shake my head. "This is a Britannian plot. I was wondering if they would make a move like this," I scoff.

"What do we do under this circumstance?" Ohgi asks.

I look at Zero, knowing that Lelouch's mind is running with the plans that he can no longer attempt.

"Aw, why worry about it?" Tamaki turns around from looking over a young girl's shoulder at the task she's working on at the front. "Its not like we're involved with Britannia anymore!"

"What!?" Kallen looks back at him.

"We were kicked out. Have you forgotten already?"

"Um, they haven't exonerated us of our crimes, have they?" the girl at Tamaki's side says.

"However, a political marriage," another girl speaks up.

"There's always a possibility that the Chinese Federation might attack us," one more girl speaks up.

"And what then!?" Tamaki shouts. "The Black Knights are wrapped up and given as a wedding present!?"

"Actually, that's an apt way to put it," Kaguya looks over at him.

"You're sure developing a useless ability there," C.C. speaks up, clutching her plushie to her chest.

"We're in big trouble here!" Tamaki shouts. "We are in no position to sit around and make jokes!"

"Which is why..." Rakshata waves around her pipe.

"We're discussing the matter at this moment!" Ohgi firmly states.

"Zero, Infinity, the one behind this," Diethard whispers to us.

"Yes, there's another person," Lelouch says. "The one who overnight made this fiendish move in order to reverse their embittered relationship with the Chinese Federation."

"I feel so bad for her," I sigh, thinking of the young empress. "She's so young, and I'm sure she's so scared at the thought of marrying. Especially someone so much older, and someone that she doesn't love at all. I want to save her and give her the childhood that she deserves."

"I always knew that your big heart would lead me in directions I never thought. Too bad you can't wear a sexy red dress or something to the banquet, but I think spending time alone is going to have to be postponed for a moment."

+XXXXXXXX+

"You're Infinity dress is cute, but a banquet like this should have you in something that shows everyone how beautiful you are," Lelouch steps up to me as I check myself out in the mirror of our room. "I guess that will be saved for another day."

The past couple of days have been a bit hectic as plans were made regarding the empress and her political marriage to the Britannian prince. It has felt strange to be away from school this long, but it feels so good not to be trapped.

I smile, meeting his gave in the mirror. "I've never been one for dresses. I've worn yukatas and kimonos because I love my culture and being Japanese so much, but a dress is so much different. They can show so much more. I've come to love this one," I run my hands down my sides, "to a degree I can barely understand."

"Then I will wait for the day you were a beautiful yukata or kimono that shows everyone in the room that you are beautiful, and I hope that I can stand by your side."

I lean back into him. "I'd like that a lot. You could wear a suit. I don't think I've seen you in a suit before."

"That can be arranged," he presses a kiss to my cheek. "Now, we have a banquet to go crash. Kind of."

I turn around and look up at him. "Remember all those years ago, how a marriage between us could have been political?"

"I do remember. What are you getting at?" he looks down at me, a small grin on his face.

"I still would like to marry you. One day. All this banquet and huge ceremony, though, that doesn't have to happen. We don't have to make a show of us."

"Simple, understood."

"I love you, Lelouch. It is baffling, but I truly do."

"I love you too," he pinches my sides, getting a squeal to burst from my lips.

The next twenty minutes are a blur as Lelouch and I put our masks and capes on, and then head out to meet Kallen and Kaguya at the car that will be taking us to the Forbidden City where the banquet is taking place since it is the night before the wedding. All kinds of important Britannians will be there, including my brother, Lloyd, and Cecile. The texts I received from all of them once I had a moment to check confirmed that.

Once the car reaches the Forbidden City, it is only a blink of an eye before the four of us are led into the banquet area. My little cousin leading the way.

"Miss Kaguya Sumeragi!" a guard announces to all the guests. "The representative of the Sumeragi Conglomerate!"

A gasp and murmurs spread through the crowd.

I look around, feeling the smile on my face widen. My eyes spotting the one person that Lelouch and I thought was behind this all: Prince Schneizel.

Multiple guards surround us from all sides with batons in their hands. With a simple thought, I could flick all their weapons far out of their hands.

"Kaguya!" the sweet voice of Empress Tianzi floats down to me. Her fear for her friend breaks my heart. She is a pure soul that deserves to be free of the tyranny of the eunuchs.

"Can we please stop quarreling now?" Prince Schneizel steps up to us with his personal knight at his side and a short old eunuch in front of them. "Today is a day of celebration, is it not?"

"Eh, but sir!" the eunuch spins back to shockingly look at the prince. His voice even higher pitched and annoying than I was expecting.

"Miss Sumeragi, will you refrain from having Zero and Infinity accompany you to the wedding tomorrow?"

"I suppose," Kaguya speaks up. "I don't have much of a choice, do I?"

"If that is the wish of the Prime Minister of Britannia, then withdraw!" the old eunuch swipes his hand to get the guards to stop surrounding us.

Schneizel takes a few steps toward us but is quickly cut off by Suzaku, along with a slowly approaching Anya and Gino.

"Suzaku Kururugi," Kaguya spins to be right in front of Suzaku. "Do you remember me? We're cousins, you and I, and Sakura, wherever she is right now."

"Of course, I do," Suzaku stares down our cousin. No lightness to his voice.

"The three of us are the last remaining survivors of the six houses of Kyoto, aren't we?"

"Taizou Kirihara and the others are supported terrorists. Nothing could have stayed their executions."

"But this is different," she tilts her head and closes her eyes. "Cousin, did you forget that Master Zero once saved your life?"

Suzaku lets out a gasp that takes the harshness off his face.

"Do you plan to execute someone you owe your life to?" She opens her eyes to look back at him.

His face scrunches up in a shade of anger. "There's no comparison!"

"Oh, how sad!" she claps her hands together. "It's a good thing we're not able to kill anybody merely with the words we say."

I barely shake my head, amazed at how sassy my cousin can turn.

"Prince Schneizel," Lelouch speaks up, crushing the conversation. "Would you care for a game of chess?"

"Chess?" Schneizel hums.

"If I win, I'd like to have Sir Kururugi."

"Huh?" Suzaku breathes out.

"What!?" Kallen blurts out.

"I want to give him to you, Lady Kaguya," Lelouch finishes.

"Oh, that would be an absolutely marvelous present," Kaguya turns to face him, her hands clasped in front of her.

"Enjoy your anticipation of it."

I sigh, shifting on my feet a few times.

"I'll agree to your terms," Schneizel says. "However, if you lose, I want you to remove your mask and show me your face. Let's add Infinity into the mix as well."

"I haven't even said a single word," I tease.

"Agreed," Lelouch says.

Kallen gasps, looking back at him.

"What a fine evening of entertainment this has turned into," Schneizel says.

"Wonderful," I raise my arms, letting my cape flutter around me. "This is going to be a delight to watch!"

"Your enthusiasm is a pleasure to witness," Schneizel's hard demeanor cracks for a moment. "Too bad you're on the terrorist path."

"I'm not a terrorist, your highness," I mockingly curtsey. "The word you are looking for is revolutionary."

"Maybe the two of us need to sit down and have a chat, Miss Infinity. Once I get to see the girl beneath that mask."

I scoff, "We'll see how this chess game goes."

"Please, come with me, Miss Sumeragi," the old eunuch motions for the young girl to follow him towards the table where Odysseus and Empress Tianzi are sitting with a few other eunuchs surrounding them.

"Anyone that wants to watch some chess, right this way," Schneizel turns and starts leading us out of the main hall.

It is always surprising to see someone other than Lelouch have a chess set, especially in this situation. A table and two chairs are set up with the chess board, and Lelouch chooses black for the color he will be using. Kallen is right next to Zero's side, while I am resting my arms on the back of Lelouch's chair as I watch the game unfold from right behind him. Suzaku is right next to Schneizel's side, while Anya, Gino, Lloyd, and Cecile are amongst the group standing behind him.

I've played enough rounds with Lelouch to know what losing and winning look like. Not that I have ever been on the winning side when playing against the real Lelouch. There's something about this game that I can't tell who has the upper hand. If my memory is correct, then Schneizel is the only person that Lelouch has never beaten.

"This is the ace of the Black Knights," Anya says, holding up her phone to record Kallen. "Pilot of the Guren."

"Yeah, the one from before," Gino grins. "She's a lot prettier than her wanted poster. That's my kind of woman," he casually salutes her.

I glance over at Kallen to see her avert her gaze from the Knight of Three. If the world ever is actually filled with peace, I will definitely be pushing those two together if I have the chance.

Chess pieces are placed with a firmness that drag my attention back to the game that holds my identity in the results.

"Oh, I didn't expect you to turn the tables on me so quickly," Lelouch speaks up, taking a pause before picking up his king piece.

"It's your king," Schneizel blurts out.

"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?" He firmly places the piece down.

"Impressive strategy. In fact," he grabs his king piece, "I'll do the same."

The tiny gasp that escapes Lelouch is barely audible as Schneizel places his king.

"Stubborn competition," Lloyd smiles. "Practically a fight!"

"So!" Lelouch moves his king once more. "You can't advance any further, can you?"

"Hm, we'll get into a threefold repetition at this rate," Schneizel rests his chin against his fingers.

"It wasn't my intention, but shall we declare this a draw?"

"I think not," he smirks, placing his fingers on his king.

"Hm?"

"You would do well not to underestimate the white king, my friend," he holds up his king.

"You wouldn't."

Schneizel places his king right down in front of Lelouch's, "Checkmate."

"But that means if Zero moves his king forward," Schneizel's personal knight starts.

"Then he'll capture..." Kallen adds.

"Prince Schneizel's king," Suzaku finishes the thought.

"You can't possibly be doing what I think you are," I say. This invitation for a victory is a trap for humiliation.

"What is this?" Lelouch asks. "You're simply handing me a victory?" After a moment of debate, he picks up the king and moves it backwards.

"With no hesitation whatsoever, the emperor would have grabbed it," Schneizel says.

A strained gasp escapes Lelouch.

"I've now learned just a bit about what king of man you really are, Zero."

"I could have told you that he was nothing like the emperor," I speak up, giving Lelouch a moment to process. "All you have to do is ask nicely."

Schneizel opens his mouth to respond but is cut off as a green-haired girl with a knife in her hand pushes through the crowd only for Suzaku to grab her wrist. She has a look of fear, anger, and sadness swirling in her eyes.

"Zero! Infinity!" Nina, a girl I had wished to never see again, screams at us. "Princess Euphemia will be avenged!"

Lelouch is quick to his feet, taking a few steps back to be behind Kallen. I stay in my place, refusing to let her cause fear to run through me. Schneizel also stands up and moves away, his personal knight standing in front of me.

"Stop it, Nina!" Suzaku snaps, raising her arm to keep the knife out of play. "Drop the knife!"

Nina lets out a painful scream, "Why are you stopping me!?" She is squirming around with all her might. "You of all people should understand since you were Princess Euphemia's knight!" The tears have begun to pour down her cheeks.

Suzaku's eyes go wide, but he does not release the hold he has on both her forearms.

"You're just an 11 after all, aren't you!?" She breaks free of Suzaku's hold, rushing right at Kallen.

"Nina!" Kallen grunts, disarming the girl before releasing her.

"Why Kallen? You're half Britannian, and yet you chose to protect these monsters!"

"No, that's incorrect. I'm Japanese, Nina."

"No, you're not," Nina's eyes have widened, and it is clear she has fallen into the deep end. "You're an 11. You're an 11 and you pretended to be my friend!" she swipes at the air. "Give her back to me! Give back Princess Euphemia! I needed her! She was a goddess to me!"

"Nina," Suzaku steps up to her, grabbing her wrists once more to settle her down.

"Zero...killed her, but you..." she collapses to her knees, sobbing as words can no longer come out of her mouth.

I push off the chair, looking at the crowd to see Milly walk to the front. She must be here with Lloyd and was talking with Nina before they both found their way here.

Kallen sinks to her knees, picking up the knife. "I'm sorry. About everything. However..."

Gino walks over, kneeling down and holding out his hand for Kallen to pass the knife to him.

Kallen stands back up, keeping her eyes trained away from Milly.

"My profound apologies, Zero," Schneizel looks over at us. "Let's put an end to our little game here. Now that I've confirmed my suspicions, I'd like to remind you not to attend the ceremony tomorrow. Otherwise, a game of chess won't save you next time."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hope you enjoyed reading! I cried watching Tianzi's backstory. She is so precious and I only want the best for her. Anyways, I would love to know what you thought! :D

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

1.1M 52.1K 73
The war is over. Yet, only one left alive is her. A girl, they never paid enough attention to. A girl, who is to be sent in time and change the whole...
4.9K 201 14
You are Y/N, a member of the Aeon Family. However, one day your family was attacked, and it left you with permanent injuries that you try to hide. mo...
96.1K 2.5K 33
❥ ↳ [KNY x F! READER.] ➵ Bandages are meant to unravel. Yet, she didn't want hers to. Holding remains of her past. Yet as truth unfolds, what comes o...
59.2K 1.9K 47
Lucia Sai Fante,Princess of the Fante Kingdom is forced into a marriage with Prince Schneizel who is a mass manipulator. Little does he know Lucia ca...