PLAY GOD ━━ jason grace¹

By -windwillows

annais min had everything to prove and no time to do it. as one of the five children of the underworld destin... More

PLAY GOD
o. epigraph
o. gallery
i. when the gods speak
ii. to storm or fire
iii. friend or foe
iv. by the devil
v. son of lightning
vi. daughter of darkness
vii. happy the dragon
viii. dead and gone
ix. melt the ice queen
x. through glass
xi. always
xii. bumpy skies
xiii. ghost
xiv. seen better days
xv. head under water
xvi. misfire
xvii. foreign land
xviii. dying light
xix. closing in
xx. play god
xxi. prize of war
xxiii. of monsters and men
INTERLUDE
xxiv. when in rome
xxv. chaos mode
xxvi. up in smoke
xxvii. sweeter than poison
xxviii. out of body
xxix. light switch
xxx. head on fire
xxxi. love affair
xxxii. greek tragedy
xxxiii. ship to wreck
xxxiv. false gods
xxxv. my blood
xxxvi. sometimes
xxxvii. lies of the damned
xxxviii. lamb to the slaughter
xxxix. i know the end

xxii. homebound

945 53 5
By -windwillows

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:
HOMEBOUND

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

JASON WAS STILL OUT of it even after several minutes had passed. Annais and Thalia tried their best to give him space, but every wince of pain that crossed his face had Annais frowning in concern.

"How are you feeling?" she asked at some point, hands subconsciously reaching out for him.

"Hot," replied Jason, looking red in the face. "Mouth is dry. And I saw something... really terrible."

Ezra smirked, seemingly thinking the same thing when Thalia scoffed out, "That was Hera... Her Majesty, the Loose Cannon."

"Oh, that is it, Thalia Grace," Hera boomed in rage. "I will turn you into an aardvark, so help me..."

"Wow, real creative, mother," Ezra snorted.

"Can everyone just stop it?" Piper snapped, glowering at the three of them in particular. Much to Annais' surprise, they listened, though none of them seemed happy about it.

"Do you want to stand?" Annais asked Jason once she was sure they were done. He nodded. "Right. Well, give me your hands."

Slowly, she helped him to his feet, gripping his arms as he struggled to regain balance. It was only after he ate the remainder of their ambrosia (which he was very reluctant to do after seeing Annais' bloody arm) that his eyes sharpened, far more alert than he had been only minutes before. Annais felt relief swelling up in her chest, like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

"I'm so glad you're okay," she murmured before she could think twice about it.

Jason smiled. If he was surprised by the affectionate tone, he didn't say it. "I'm alright, Annais," he assured her, just as his grin shifted into a smirk. "It's nice to know you care about me, though."

"Oh, shut up."

Still, she didn't deny it, and both of them had noticed. How could she when she had tear stains on her face?

The bickering of Hera and Thalia caught their attention again. It hadn't even been a minute since Piper stunned them into silence, and already they were back at each other's throats. With an impatient huff, Piper stepped between them, hands raised in warning. "Look, Hera, your Majesty... we couldn't have rescued you without the Hunters. And Thalia, you never would've seen Jason again, none of us would've met him, if it weren't for Hera. So you two play nice, because we've got bigger problems, okay?"

This time, they stayed quiet, until Thalia eventually spoke up. "You've got spirit, Piper," she conceded, Annais watching on curiously as she pulled a silver card from her jacket which Annais knew was imprinted with the symbol of Artemis. Wearing a hopeful smile, Thalia handed it to her. "You ever want to be a Hunter, just call me. We could use you."

At that, Ezra smirked. "Do you remember when you asked me to be a Hunter?"

Thalia let out a laugh. "I don't know what I was thinking."

Hera cleared her throat then, causing Ezra to go silent and lower her head. "Fortunately for this Hunter, you have a point, Daughter of Aphrodite."

"Wow," Ezra deadpanned. "Never thought I'd hear those words come from your mouth."

"I'm a woman of many wonders, daughter." Without so much as a glance in the girl's direction, Hera observed Piper, who shifted uneasily under her gaze. "You wondered, Piper, why I chose you for this quest, why I didn't reveal your secret from the beginning, even when I knew Enceladus was using you. I must admit, until this moment, I wasn't sure. Something told me you would be vital to the quest. Now, I see I was right. You're even stronger than I realised. And you are correct about the dangers to come. We must work together, the seven and the Mins--"

"Speaking of," Melanie cut in with a nervous little smile. Hera turned to her, blank faced, but didn't comment on her interruption. Fortunately for them. Annais had a feeling even Piper wouldn't have been able to stop Thalia then. "Do we get to know why we're involved in this? I mean, what's the point? Why us?"

Hera's eyes glinted with something, but Annais couldn't quite comprehend it. The Goddess' stare was one that she recognised, kind of like Annais and Hea when they laid eyes on someone who they just knew was going to die soon. It made her stomach twist uneasily, and Melanie, with all her ghosts, seemed to sense it too.

"You'll see in due time, Melanie Min," Hera eventually declared. "Unfortunately, I do not have the answers you seek."

"Then what do you know?" Leo frowned at her. "I don't suppose that Porphyrion guy just melted and died, huh?"

"No," she sighed. "By saving me, saving this place, you prevented Gaea from waking. You have bought us some time. But Porphyrion has risen. He simply knew better than to stay here, especially since he has not yet regained his full power. Giants can only be killed by a combination of god and demigod, working together. Once you freed me--"

"He turned tail and ran," Ezra finished.

"But to where?" questioned Jason.

No one knew how to respond. Porphyrion had escaped far too easily, but Annais was almost certain they hadn't seen the last of him. He'd come back for them sooner or later, for Jason Grace, the son of Jupiter that he lost, and wouldn't hesitate then. But Annais would be waiting at Jason's side, even if he insisted on facing him on his own. Even heroes were touchable. Even heroes could bleed. If Annais Min had her way, Jason Grace would've been immortal.

"I need to find Annabeth," Thalia declared into the sullen silence. "She has to know what's happened here."

Immediately, Jason's eyes were on her, beseeching. "Thalia, we have got to talk about this place, or..."

His words trailed off into helpless uncertainty. Thalia's face softened, though her eyes remained hard and grief-stricken. "I know," she said. "I lost you here once. I don't want to leave you again. But we'll meet soon. I'll rendezvous with you back at Camp Half-Blood." She glanced at Hera, forcing grudging respect into her eyes as Hera's own narrowed with suspicion. "You'll see them there safely? It's the least you can do."

"It's not your place to tell me--"

"Queen Hera," Piper interrupted with a pointed cough.

Hera hesitated, clearly not wanting to give in first. But in the end, she did. "Oh, fine... Yes. Just... off with you, Hunter."

Goodbyes were hard, Annais knew that firsthand. She couldn't help averting her eyes as Jason tugged his older sister into a hug and held on tight, wanting the moment to last just another second longer. But soon, Thalia had to pull away, whispering false promises of reunion before she and the Hunters faded into the shadows too. It was quiet now, too quiet, and Annais longed to call them back just to cave into the distraction.

"Jason," she heard Piper begin, clearly nervous. She looked over at her, catching Jason's confused gaze as he tilted his head towards Piper. "What happened here? I mean, I know your mum... abandoned you here. But you said it was sacred ground for demigods. Why? What happened after you were on your own?"

At that, Jason hesitated, clearly wary. "It's still murky," he told them, though Annais couldn't be sure just how truthful he was being. She frowned at him, and Jason was quick to turn away, knowing he'd give in if she asked. "The wolves..."

"You were given a destiny," Hera filled in the blanks with a strange sense of pride in her eyes. "You were given into my service."

"Like a pig for slaughter," Ezra couldn't help pointing out. Every statement felt like an open invitation to a fight, one that Hera just wouldn't breach. It was strange, like a game of cat and mouse, only the mouse was too quick in its evasion of the cat.

"You forced my mum to do that," Jason snapped at the Goddess. "You couldn't stand knowing that Zeus had two children with my mum. Knowing that he'd fallen for her twice. I was the price you demanded for leaving the rest of my family alone."

It was cruel, but that was Hera.

"It was the right choice for you as well, Jason," the Goddess insisted with a pensive frown. "The second time your mother managed to snare Zeus's affections, it was because she imagined him in a different aspect, the aspect of Jupiter. Never before had this happened; two children, Greek and Roman, born into the same family. You had to be separated from Thalia. This is where all demigods of your kind start their journey."

"Of his kind?" Piper and Annais echoed in unison, then shared a shy grin when they glanced at each other.

"She means Roman," Jason clarified, clearly troubled. "Demigods are left here. We meet the she-wolf goddess, Lupa, the same immortal wolf that raised Romulus and Remus."

"And if you are strong enough, you live."

It was barbaric, and left Annais with a sense of foreboding. In some ways, she'd also never had a choice when she came to Camp Half-Blood. Her mother died, the kids were put into foster care. Then Hea figured out the truth and brought them to a place that would fight to keep them alive.

But it wasn't like that with the Romans. Your destiny started the moment you were born. It was some kind of ritual entering the Roman demigod life, like training for the army the moment you left the womb. You didn't have a choice no matter the circumstances, and from the sounds of it, there wasn't a way out that didn't lead to an impending doom. It left Annais with a strange feeling, like she was standing with a knife to her neck, or a hanging noose already wrapped around her throat.

"What happened after that?" she couldn't resist asking.

"That's what I want to know," Melanie added. "We know you never made it to Camp Half-Blood, so where did you go?"

The answer was staring back at them, clear as day, just waiting to be spoken. Piper, with a paling face, breathed out, "You went somewhere else." And it wasn't a question. "That's where you've been all these years. Somewhere else for demigods. But where?"

Jason frowned, clearly attempting to dig up the name, but it just wouldn't break through to the surface. With an annoyed sigh, he turned to glower at Hera, who was watching them converse with interest. "The memories are coming back, but not the location. You're not going to tell me, are you?"

"No," Hera agreed, causing Annais to sigh. "Huff all you want, Annais Min, but this is part of your destiny, Jason. You must find your own way back. But when you do, you unite two great powers. You give us hope against the Giants, and against Gaea herself."

"Well, that's not pressuring at all," Melanie grumbled.

Jason shook his head in denial, like he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "You want us to help you, but you're holding back information?"

"Giving you answers would make those answers invalid," Hera insisted. "That is the way of the Fates. You must forge your own path for it to mean anything. Already, you three have surprised me. Even you Min girls, I must admit. I would not have thought it possible..." She trailed off, like the thought of actually complimenting them was taking it just that bit too far. "Suffice to say, you have performed well, demigods. But this is only the beginning. Now you must return to Camp Half-Blood, where you will begin planning for the next phase."

"The next phase?" Annais queried.

Hera merely smiled.

"You're not going to tell us about it," Ezra stated. "Go figure."

"And I suppose you destroyed my nice storm spirit horse, so we'll have to walk home?" Jason added, his exhaustion beginning to catch up with him at the thought.

Hera simply laughed, waving aside the question like it was amusing to her. "Storm spirits are creatures of chaos. I did not destroy that one, though I have no idea where he went, or whether you'll see him again. But there is an easier way home for you. As you have done me a great service, so I can help you... at least this once. Farewell, demigods, for now."

"Wait," Ezra began, but Hera didn't respond.

In a blink, the world had faded into darkness, just like shadow travelling only something entirely different. Annais' stomach swirled as her feet lifted off the ground. Her head spun with a lack of air. Seconds, minutes, hours went by in just one instant. The next time she saw light again, she was falling through the air in the Dining Pavilion at Camp Half-Blood. It was evening, and everyone had been sitting around for a peaceful meal when six demigods came crashing through the open air onto their tables. Piper had her foot in Drew Tanaka's pizza. Ezra and Melanie were sprawled out across the Ares cabin, Ezra sneering as they grumbled at her. Annais had landed right on Jason, groaning as she pushed herself off his chest only to come face-to-face with a stunned Chiron.

"Annais?" he breathed out, stumbling out of his wheelchair and to full height. "Jason?"

"Uh, hey, Chiron," Annais grinned at him, already beginning to fade at the edges.

"What... how..."

"It's a long story."

And with that, she promptly passed out on Jason's shoulder.

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THIS TIME, WHEN ANNAIS opened her eyes, her arm was wrapped up in a proper bandage and her head was much clearer. No longer did Annais Min feel like she was running on fumes, a second behind everyone else, struggling to keep up. She felt well rested now, and she had to wonder just how long she'd been out for. The sun was high in the sky right outside the Infirmary window. The radio was down low playing a song she didn't recognise, but it had clearly lulled Jason to sleep as he sat in the chair at her bedside. His hand was warm around her own, and he had his forehead pressed to her forearm as he leaned over the bed. Annais smiled, slowly moving her other arm to run her fingers through his hair.

"Jason?" she murmured. "Are you awake?"

For a second, there was silence. Then Jason groaned, muttering something under his breath as he cracked an eye open to look at her. Almost immediately, his senses came rushing back and he sat up, a beaming smile splitting across his face. Annais laughed and squeezed his hand.

"How long have I been out?" she asked curiously.

"Two days," he replied, eyes lingering on the clean bandage around her arm. "After you passed out, I insisted on carrying you here, and Will Solace fixed you up. Said he was surprised you hadn't passed out sooner."

"I'm surprised I hadn't too," she admitted. "My arm was going numb at the end."

"You should've told me."

Annais sighed. "When? You were dead for a while."

It was much easier to say this time. Thinking back on it, clutching his dead body didn't feel real. It was some sort of distant dream, a nightmare that would only come out when Annais' defences had fallen. Still, she averted her eyes when his own gaze softened, feeling awfully exposed as a faint blush bloomed on her cheeks.

"So," she said, clearing her scratchy throat. "We -- actually, can you get me some water? I feel like I just went face-to-face with Hera's power."

Jason rolled his eyes but stood up to pour her a glass anyways. Annais' hand felt awfully cold without his, but almost as soon as he returned to her side, he reached for her again. Annais didn't know what to call the feeling in her stomach, or the blush that appeared whenever he was around. She wasn't completely sure if she wanted to give it a label beyond the occasional attraction to him. But it was nice, just holding his hand, having someone wait at her bedside simply to make sure she was okay.

With Jason's eyes on her, she sculled down her glass then sighed with content. The blonde boy chuckled, taking it from her to put aside. "So," she repeated with a growing smile. "We did it."

"We did."

"I genuinely thought we'd fail, you know."

"Well, that's reassuring."

"I'm just glad we're home now," she let out a sigh. "I feel like I could sleep for another two days."

"Then sleep," he shrugged, gaze soft. "You might not have the chance in a few months."

Right. The Great Prophecy. How could she forget? They might've freed Hera, but they had so much more waiting just up ahead of them. Annais could sleep all she wanted, but she'd never be able to escape what was coming. The thought had her smile fading into a frown.

"I don't know if I want to do this," she murmured, refusing to meet Jason's stare and instead focusing on the loose threads of her blanket. It was blue, like the ocean. Or like Jason Grace's eyes in the sun... A beautiful sky blue. "I know that sounds bad..."

"It doesn't," he disagreed. "I don't think any sane person wants to risk their life everyday."

"Sometimes, I wish I never found out that I'm a demigod," she told him. "That I could've met my friends at a normal high school, met you and..."

Met you, Jason Grace, and wanted to explore what could've been.

"I get it," he said, but Annais wasn't so sure he did.

For a while, they just sat in silence, Jason occasionally speaking up to answer any questions she had about what happened while she was out. Apparently, Piper was now the head counsellor of the Aphrodite Cabin, but Annais had already seen that one coming sooner or later. It was nice to think about, though; the foul look on Drew's face when she realised she'd lost. Eventually, Annais' eyes began to drift shut, and Jason chuckled with a hint of fondness.

"I'm awake," she murmured when he went quiet. "You don't have to..."

"Just sleep, Annais," he insisted. "I can wake you up later. Leo wants to show us something this afternoon."

"Okay," she nodded, already drifting away. "Can... can you stay? I don't--"

She didn't know what she wanted, but isolation definitely wasn't it.

"Of course I can stay," he murmured, and Annais' heart skipped a beat when he pressed a lingering kiss to her knuckles.

Oh. Well, this was definitely different to a peck on the head, a danger-fuelled kiss. This was deliberate. He didn't have to, but he did. Gods, did he want to give Annais a heart attack? She knew if she opened her eyes and saw him kissing her hand, she'd lose herself completely. So she kept them closed, just sighing when he sat back in his chair to wait for her.

"Now sleep."

She didn't fight it this time.

For once, her dreams weren't of death and destruction and impending doom, but of a pretty blonde boy kissing her like he'd never have the chance to again, whispering promises of love and attraction into the hard lines of her lips that Annais would have listened to forever if she only had the chance.

Annais Min had once told Jason Grace that his words meant nothing to her. But hearing him say he loved her, even if it was just a dream... Annais knew it was her who was the liar, that some part of her longed to be a girl loved by the boy she used to distrust. Annais didn't need love in general, but everything changed when it came to Jason Grace.

She didn't mind, though. Annais could definitely get used to dreams like this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 8.4K 53
there must be more than this provincial life. [ percy jackson x original character ] [ book three in the belle series ] [ the mark of athena, the hou...
235K 5.8K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
44K 633 82
Introduction to "[Quick time travel] Blacken the villain, love the heavens" The new book "[Quick time travel] The sick and delicate male god, spoils...
25.6K 1K 26
a story in which althea knight goes on a quest to retrieve the lost goblet of dionysus. [unlovelies | book 1 of the GREEK TRAGEDIES series]