π‘…π‘’π‘€π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘‘π‘‘π‘’π‘› - 𝐡𝑒𝑛𝑗...

By DWeber02

Her whole life, Dahlia "Lia" Day has been abandoned as a child, an orphan, adopted daughter, a sister, and a... More

π‘ƒπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘“π‘Žπ‘π‘’
π‘ƒπ‘™π‘Žπ‘¦π‘™π‘–π‘ π‘‘
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑂𝑛𝑒
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ π‘‡π‘€π‘œ
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ πΉπ‘œπ‘’π‘Ÿ
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝐹𝑖𝑣𝑒
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑆𝑖π‘₯
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑆𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ πΈπ‘–π‘”β„Žπ‘‘
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑁𝑖𝑛𝑒
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑇𝑒𝑛
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝐸𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑇𝑀𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑒
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ π‘‡β„Žπ‘–π‘Ÿπ‘‘π‘’π‘’π‘›
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ πΉπ‘œπ‘’π‘Ÿπ‘‘π‘’π‘’π‘›
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝐹𝑖𝑓𝑑𝑒𝑒𝑛
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑆𝑖π‘₯𝑑𝑒𝑒𝑛
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑆𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑒𝑛
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ πΈπ‘–π‘”β„Žπ‘‘π‘’π‘’π‘›
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑁𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑑𝑒𝑒𝑛
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑇𝑀𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑦
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑇𝑀𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑦-𝑂𝑛𝑒
πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑇𝑀𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑦-π‘‡π‘€π‘œ
πΈπ‘π‘™π‘–π‘œπ‘”π‘’π‘’
πΏπ‘’π‘‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ π‘‘π‘œ π‘Œπ‘œπ‘’

πΆβ„Žπ‘Žπ‘π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿ π‘‡β„Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘’

155 12 10
By DWeber02

The quiet, viewable place in England is Devon. I remember when I was 11 and my mom drove to her house, I knew I would belong here.  Meeting my family for the first time is a sense of joy I have. I remember young Della said to me that she was glad to have a sister in the family of two brothers.  Even though the quiet place turns into a nightmare whenever Edward is around. The reason I want to live in a house I live in Devon is for my family; hoping that they will be ok in their lives. When my mom got her divorce, she told me the stories about Edward abusing her in their marriage for so long. I really wish at that moment I would tell her the truth, but she was heartbroken from Marsha who's been having an affair with Edward for a year.

I stop at my beautiful house beside the Brownstone Chic for business meetings or living a time for myself in London. My home is a Victorian-style brick with 5 bedrooms and 3 restrooms including my office/library by the woods with no neighborhood for my privacy and protection. I went to my library to find a book to spare with Hazel and found a good one for her, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Edward was planning to put her in the nursery home, but I argue for hiring a good nurse to help her. Her nurse is Belle, a college graduate with good experience ahead of her and hoping that she will get her future as a nurse in the hospital.

Hazel is a good woman. She taught me how to write stories of my own when I was little. She gave me motivation for her words to become a writer when I showed her my short stories in my diary. I still have it to this day. Now seeing Hazel blossoming at her home, and seeing her reaction when I give her a book gives me joy.

After my lunch with Hazel, she realized there was something different about me. "Dahlia, where have you gone?"

"What are you talking about, Hazel? I'm right here."

"There's something that changed you, sweetheart, I haven't seen you bloomed in ages ever since we wrote our stories together." Should I tell my grandma about Benjamin? Would she tell Edward? I just want to focus on my family more than myself at this moment. "Well, I shouldn't pry..." She grabs my hand. "You can tell me whenever you feel comfortable..." This is why I love her, she understands and listens to me besides the fact she's made the best Victoria sponge. "Have you written lately? I just finished reading your diary of short stories."

"Over a few days ago, I wrote poems and I had a meeting with Anna today and she loves them. So she will discuss it with the company and hope they will publish it."

"'Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, Write all the words which I have spoken to you in a book.' - Jeremiah 30:2 I keep praying every day that you will write more stories and reveal them to the world, fictional or not. You have a voice to shout."

"That should be my headline, Hazel." I laugh.

I hear the door open and slam, and look at my hands. Knowing who it is... Hazel read my expression and ask the person, "There's something wrong with the bell?"

"Hello, mother. Nice to see you, too," said Edward

"I have a visitor." I keep looking down.

"Dahlia..." I couldn't stay, the way he says my name. It still haunts me to hear his voice and see him in person. I sent my goodbyes to Hazel and let her to give me her feedback on the book I gave her and left abruptly without a word to Edward. But it didn't go as planned when he started to follow me to my car. "Dahlia! Dahlia!" He's faster than me, he stands in front of my car to keep me from driving away from him.

"Move, Edward...", still looking down on my feet

"Please for the love of God, look at me when I'm talking to you!!!," Edward grabs my arms harshly and makes me look at him with his scary, blue eyes.

The flashbacks came back when I was little when he was watching me undress, terrified, after a night out with my sister. I heard the car door open and Edward's eyes were looking behind, knowing that it was Marsha.

"You better let me go before I scream. I am sure your girlfriend would love to hear facts about your sexual desires for children; better yet her teenage daughter even."  I look at him with no remorse. His face was filled with humiliation for him knowing that I would without hesitation and he let me go.

After seeing my mom's reaction when I told her the good news about me writing my book, it is the best reaction I needed for a day after my encounter with Edward.

"Darling, I knew you would do it." I smile. "So what is the plan for your book?"

"I had a coffee with Anna and she said that she will discuss with the company and let me know soon. If I get it to publish, I'm wondering if you would like to tell my readers about you and our story... if you're willing to get that attention?"

"I will be happy to! Nothing can suppress our mother-daughter relationship..." We laugh together and let her have a copy of my poem. I give her a hug and hope that my second-youngest brother, Leo, is here so I can see how he's doing. When I'm going upstairs, I receive a hug from the back, knowing that it is Leo.

"Hiya, sis!"

"Leo! You almost scared me... have you learned no manners around women?", slowing teasing him.

"You're hardly a woman, Dahlia, you're an adopted sister." One thing I really don't like about my family is that they still see me as an "adopted sister", not knowing hearing those words gives me pain in my stomach. "While you have time in London, there is nothing to eat in the fringe. Light bulb's gone in my bathroom, and the kitchen sink smells like a dead badger." I laugh and I shush him to be quiet, so our mom can't hear him.

As he finished his thought, "Good news. Curt's got a load of bricks for the pizza oven. He's said he'd give me the lot for 500 quid, which I said I was good for, obviously, but I'm, well, short."

Of course... I ask him knowingly, "So, you want money?"

He smiles at me, "Thanks, sis. You're the best."

"Remind me again how much money you spend dyeing your ridiculous-looking hair?" My brother dyes his hair from brunette to platinum blonde, knowing it was more than 500 quid...

"I get it. It's about our mum's birthday," No, it's just not about that...

Ever since I became a writer, he basically shut me out. Knowing that he's jealous that he's 3 years older than me having a successful career aside from him working at the pub. From now, he has been asking me about money for two years and is not able to keep up for himself. I understand why Mom said that I have self-control from our dinner.

"I'm sorry that I forgot. I have a lot going on at the moment, and I'll make it up to you at our mum's fast-approaching 70th." He laughs. My brother was not the same when we were little before he has the worst role model to look up to, his father. "Oh, come on, sis, I'm joking. Have a little sense of humor, will you?"

"Not everything is always about you, Leo. Have a little sense in life, will you?" I left him alone in the hallway, thinking about my statement.

Onto the train to London, I'm very excited to see Benjamin again. Hopefully, tonight will be a great night together. I'm still worried about my family. Patrick has been worrying about Mom, calling and calling her, when she wants to be left alone. I understand what my oldest brother has been to, but he needs to be a father to his beautiful daughters and a husband to his wife first. Even though she's alone with her baby son.

I hop off my train, looking for Benjamin. There he is, waiting for me with a smile on his face; glad to know that he has been wanting to see me too. We exchange our hellos and he is hiding something behind his back, leaving me in curiosity.  "I know flowers are a more traditional reunion gift but-"

He gives me a postcard that reads "Lia, now there is nothing to escape from... Benjamin." I look up and I see he's still hiding something from his back. I point out, "You're hiding something..." He smiles and gives me a gift from his back.

Pride and Prejudice. My own book! "No, you didn't! No, you didn't! Benjamin..." I look at the beautiful blue covering of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen with gold-painted pages. "This is-" I look up at him smiling and give him a big hug. "Thank you so much! This is the best gift I ever have..." Benjamin welcome him back my thanks and we were on our way for our night together.

While we were waiting for our table by the bar, the place is filled with people. Benjamin and I are laughing about my reaction to his gift while we're waiting for someone to give us a table somewhere less busy due to my insecurities. Benjamin finds a waiter, "Excuse me, sorry. Is there somewhere we can sit? Somewhere that is a bit hectic?"

"Sure, follow me" We grab our stuff including my water. The waiter comment to Benjamin, "Damn, man, I never thought you would date a child."

My face was full of rejection and I'm completely fed up with this situation.  I look at Benjamin as he looks at me, I grab my coat and start to leave the place.

As I walk out abruptly on the street, I hear Benjamin yelling my name, "Lia! Lia, wait!"

I turn to him, "Look, Benjamin, I have been having an urge not to ask you this. Now I can't control it. Why do you want to be with me? Why you aren't with someone your own age?"

"So that's off to urge, then..."

"I know nothing about you, nothing concrete..." I look down at my Jimmy Choos. I laugh, "Not even your last name..."

"My last name is Greene." I look at his begging eyes and want to leave at this moment. It's triggering me that I know nothing about him, not what his feelings are with me. "Lia, please just stay with me..."

"Benjamin, no..." I start to leave and put on my coat until Benjamin interrupts my leaving.

"Ok, fine, fine! I was born in Royal Surrey hospital. I'm a Virgo. I'm an only child. Always wanted a brother, somebody who could look out for me, but in the end, who really looks out for anybody in this life? My parents, they, let's just say they don't really factor into the story. To answer your question, I was with somebody else. I was with someone my own age. I even thought I was gonna marry her, but it turns out that she had a very different plan.'

I feel guilty for being paranoid about him, he was just a normal guy with a past he didn't want to tell. Including mine. "I thought that's me, done. And then there's you. I forget about her and I forget everything about my past. At the library, touching your hand. I feel chills up to my arms and that moment just clicks for me. It just happens with a connection I can't describe, not even with Ali... I knew at that moment I was curious about you and wanting to be here with you. I can't explain my feelings because I never had such feelings before, so strong, so clear, and confusing. Yes, we're different, in terms and views. Doesn't matter..."

I look at him, knowing that there is someone out there for me and I found him. His name is Benjamin Greene. I walk to him and kiss him. I pull away to see him and he returns the kiss with passion. I feel him pull me closer to deepen the kiss. All of the surroundings in my life are gone, the only surrounding I have is with him.

Finally, I pull away to take a breath while his right hand is on my cheek, gazing at me with his eyes. I have an idea, "Do you want to get out of here?" Benjamin smiles and laughs as he nods.

Time flies, when Benjamin and I stop at my home. He's amazed by my home. We cooked Steak and Kidney pie together. We spend some time together talking, looking at my library, goofing off, and making a huge mess for two miniature pies and mashed potatoes. I invite Benjamin to sleep with me so he doesn't have to go home late. Feeling someone beside me when I'm sleeping is the best thing I want today in my so-called life.

Alarm rings. Sunny is up. See Benjamin sleeping peacefully and so I decided to look at his handsome face. Benjamin starts to wake up and smiles at me. I smile, "Morning..." He kiss me good morning. He wants to go out to buy some chocolate croissants.

In a short while, I look to see any emails from Anna, and surprisingly there is not. Maybe this time, Benjamin can meet my family... I think they would really like him as I do.

Benjamin enters my room with delicious croissants and coffee on a tray. He set the tray on my bed, "Ta, da!!"

"Yum!! Thank you so much..."

He puts cream in my coffee and hands it to me, "Any updates from Anna...?" I shake my head as I drink my coffee. "Lia, don't worry, they will publish your book."

"You haven't read my stuff, you don't know what you're talking about..." We laugh together. "So I was thinking, maybe, we can reveal ourselves to the world? Maybe in a real-life scenario?"

Benjamin does some thinking for a moment, and he sits on a chair beside me, "Ok... So what can we do?"

I look at him shockingly accepting my thought and I smile, "Um, we can tell people? My family? I will plan a dinner together tonight since it's my mom's belated birthday dinner to celebrate. I was thinking it is time for you to meet." I grab his hand, "They will love you..."

Benjamin smiles at me with the agreement. I called my mom to tell her that I will be planning dinner and finally told her that I met someone, wanting our family to meet him. She said yes. Tonight will be a great night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 81.1K 58
Twenty-one and ready to take on the world, orphan Lizzie Gold didn't expect her chance encounter with a stranger to lead to a damnable task - to take...
18.3K 458 60
"I'm the most eligible bachelor of America I'm a billionaire and you're rejecting me" "YES" "Tell me what you want I'll give you anything" " Anything...
Ophiuchus By rainshine03

General Fiction

6.1K 370 19
Matthew and Camille, Camille and Matthew. That's how things have always been. Despite living with an abusive father and an emotionally unstable and a...
1.4M 45.4K 50
⚠ Warning sexual content!!! ⚠ *Book 1 of the "Unexpected Lovestory" Series* She loved her husband more than her last breath. She was blinded, deafene...