Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Arrivals
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Old Aquaintances And New
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Confusion
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
Doubts and Decisions
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Suspicion
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Narrow Misses
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Unleashed

366 41 92
By Avid_Rdr

Jaci's eyelids felt like they were loaded with lead. Her ears could hear everything in the room, but her eyes just struggled to open, and her body refused to move.

"Something is up with that pack, and I will get to the bottom of it."

Jaci heard the restrained anger in Zephyr's voice and she was glad she couldn't see his face.

"Why not just ask them?" Aydan's voice was low and quiet. Rustling of material and the mild creak of a chair told Jaci he had sat down.

"Perhaps because I dread the thought of them lying to my face and then having to do something about it. No, I will do this my way." Zephyr sighed.

Jaci felt the silence fill the room like a thick blanket. Her hands were still wrapped around Jungkook's arm and she felt the warmth emanating from them. He was still alive and she was happy about it.

"Plus, I think Ga-Eun, wherever she may be, wanted me to help these two somehow. But tell me, Aydan, what do I do if I find out they've betrayed me or lied to me somehow?"

"Obviously not what you would usually do, considering they're Ga-Eun's personal friends. I'm not sure, Master. We've been pulled into quite a pickle, I'm afraid."

"Hmm. Seems so. Alright," said Zephyr, slapping his knees, "I'm going to go downstairs and see if this place has any decent tea."

"Are you sure? I can go. You should rest."

"If I stay in the room any longer I might go completely mad, Aydan. No, I need some fresh air. Not the kind stained with blood and Hunter filth."

"Then I shall accompany you."

Another moment of silence passed. Zephyr seemed to be contemplating Aydan's offer.

"I suppose I cannot force you to stay. I doubt these two will wake up any time soon. Alright, let's go. If the vampires whine about it, just ignore them."

Jaci listened for several more minutes as the two men prepared themselves to leave the room. As the door clicked shut, her eyelids became free of their weight and flew open. Only a few lamps were on, casting a soft glow around the room.

She ran her gaze over the room for just a moment before locking it on the man beside her. His face was less pale than before, but there was still not enough color in his cheeks for her liking. Sweat lined his hairline and damp clumps of hair clung to his skin. His lips were dry, nearly cracking in places.

Jaci struggled to sit up, turning her weary body towards Jungkook. His wound was covered with gauze and taped to the sides of his torso. She trailed her fingers down one edge, willing him to be completely healed. It pained her to see him so broken and helpless. He was so healthy and whole in their little dreamland, nothing like what she was seeing now.

At the top edge of the gauze, nearly to the little indentation at the base of his throat, she saw the blackened edges of the wound. They seemed charred. Her eyebrows knit together as she pondered whether this was what caused him to scream and talk about feeling like he was burning. Her hand travelled upwards to delicately remove the chunks of hair from his face and press them back against his other hair. His skin was clammy and her nose crinkled at the feel of it.

She slowly stood up off the bed and walked into the small bathroom, finding one last washcloth and wetting it with cool water. She returned to Jungkook's side and sat down, careful not to jostle him too much. With gentle movements she washed away the sweat and grime from his face. She washed away the grit from the tears he had shed, and marveled at his beautifully long eyelashes.

"Feels good," he mumbled through his dry lips, startling her and making her withdraw her hand sharply.

"Are you fully awake?" she asked.

"Unfortunately," he groaned. His eyelids slowly opened and revealed bloodshot eyes that were dull and revealed his pain.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered, leaning over to brush back some more of his hair with her fingers.

"'S okay," he said, breathing deeply and then gasping in pain. "Bad idea."

"Looks like they had to do some brutal stuff to you," she said, her eyes traveling up and down the long wound.

"From the stinging, I'm guessing they cauterized the wound," he said through strangled breaths.

"Shhh. Just rest. I'm not going anywhere. I will help you heal as best I can. You're going to be alright. I promise," said Jaci, trying not to let her doubt of her own words show.

Jungkook watched as her eyes stayed in his wound a bit too long. Though it was a struggle, he raised one hand and rested his palm against her face. His thumb caressed her velvety cheek and he smiled as her eyes met his once more.

"Jaci, you are a terrible liar," he said, smiling weakly. "I'm pretty messed up, but I know that if it weren't for you, I'd be way worse. Just stay next to me. That's all I need. I need you," he said, his voice trailing off into a whisper.

His hand slowly slid from her face and she caught it in her hands. "I'm not leaving. I've accepted my place by your side, Jungkook. I'm just sorry it took me so long. When we're together, I feel like I can do anything. Even help lead a pack."

Jungkook's eyes slid closed and he smiled. "C'mere and snuggle with me. I need you."

Jaci's heartstrings were sufficiently tugged and she slid back down and curled her arm around the back of his head, and let her other hand interlock their fingers together. Raising his hand to her lips she kissed it gently and then made sure he was comfortable. He was already falling back into sleep and she also felt her eyes getting drowsy again.

She nestled her head against his, breathing in the comforting scent of pine and spring rain. Her heart slowed and the beat seemed to match up with the one she heard just under the surface of his skin. Her body may be at ease, but her mind was in turmoil.

What was this thing she and Jungkook had? No feelings had been revealed between them, even though their few kisses felt like there was affection of some sort just bubbling under the surface. However, the entire foundation to their relationship was simply based on her becoming a werewolf and Jungkook believing she was his fated mate.

She felt the call of duty to do everything she could to help him live up to his potential as Alpha. And she couldn't lie that she didn't feel a bit of obligation as well. But was that all there was? Obligation and duty? Curiosity of the unknown and the realization that she had nothing and no one to go home to had to have played a part in her willingness to become Jungkook's Luna.

Jaci's face settled into a frown. She was more than willing to do her part for whatever reason, but would she learn to truly love this man? There was no doubt that he was certainly handsome, respectable, and honorable in every way she could think of. She would need to do some serious soul searching and perhaps speak to Jungkook about it when he was well. She wanted this relationship to blossom into something more than just fate and duty.

She leaned her head up and watched him sleep. He seemed more relaxed, but definitely not peaceful. Laying her hand gently on his chest, she closed her eyes and willed everything within her to help his wound heal.

***

"If you're down here, who is watching over Kook and Jaci?" Sunny stared coldly at Zephyr and Aydan.

"Calm down. They're both asleep. Nothing has changed, I assure you." Zephyr settled down into the lounge area of the lobby and softly blew the steam from his teacup.

Aydan stood leaning his back against a wall, hands shoved deeply into the pockets of his slacks. His eyes darted between the vampires and his Master. It was always intriguing, if not nerve wracking to see the three engage in verbal spats. There was clear prejudice between them, but a fragile truce was being held between them as well.

"I'm sorry to inform you that I am fresh out of calm," muttered Sunny between clenched teeth.

"Taehyung, do something about your wife. Her American brashness is rather irritating." Zephyr took a cautious sip of the hot liquid in his cup, narrowing his eyes as the heat spread over his tongue.

Taehyung regarded him with a look of disdain. "I happen to love her American brashness. It's part of her charm. I cannot, however, say the same for your irritating arrogance."

Zephyr rolled his eyes and crossed one of his legs over the other. "I'm doing everything in my power to heal your friend. Believe me, I want you all gone as quickly as possible. You're bringing too much drama and attention to my quiet little world."

Aydan wanted to laugh but he stifled it. Yes, Zephyr was arrogant, but only someone close to him would know it was only a mask to cover up his constant concern for his species. He worked hard to keep the Society out of their lives so he could work on his research. For all of his flashy flamboyance, Zephyr was a man who simply wanted to live in peace and quietly go about his work.

Aydan watched as Zephyr's eyes followed a pair of men walking casually along the far wall of the large lobby. He followed the man's line of sight and quickly sized up the two men. They didn't seem to look like they were suspicious, but there were some oddities about them.

"You saw them?" mumbled Taehyung to Zephyr as he leaned over and picked up a fashion magazine he had absolutely no interest in.

"Mmm," hummed Zephyr.

Sunny leaned in and whispered something to Taehyung who nodded and eyed the men walking towards the elevators.

"Want me to head up?" Aydan meandered over to stand behind Zephyr's chair.

"I think we all should," said Zephyr, setting the cup and saucer down onto the coffee table.

The elevator doors slid open and the two men walked in, pressing a few buttons before the doors closed.

Taehyung and Sunny wasted no time rushing to the stairs and disappearing up the several flights before the door to the stairwell even closed. Aydan and Zephyr followed suit, using their own speed to hurry back to the room.

Aydan swallowed his concern and instead focused his energy into readying himself for a fight. Something was amiss, and he hoped it wasn't going to turn into an all out war.

***

Jaci's breathing began to match up to Jungkook's. She watched his chest slowly rise and fall with every breath he took. She hoped every breath brought more and more healing to him. From all of her research back at the University, she knew werewolves healed faster in their wolf form, but Jungkook was in no shape to shift.

She swallowed thickly, suddenly realizing her mouth and throat were burning dry. Getting up from the bed, she walked over to the bathroom sink and unwrapped one of the plastic covered cups. Filling it with cold water from the tap, she guzzled it and quickly refilled it, repeating the same actions several times over before she felt her thirst was sated.

Her muscles were stiff and she stretched her arms and legs, back and neck as much as she could, feeling more and more awake as she did so. But it wasn't long before she was seated on the edge of Jungkook's bed once more, watching for any sign that he was completely healed and ready to go home with her.

Home...

Had she just thought of Korea as her home? It would certainly become that if all went as planned. She smiled softly to herself as she imagined walking back up Blood Mountain and rejoining the pack she had so recklessly left behind. Hopefully, they would forgive her and accept her as the new Luna.

Her hand had found its way back into Jungkook's thick hair and her fingertips slowly massaged his scalp. A light smile flitted across his lips revealing his adorable bunny teeth. Jaci couldn't help but coo at the cuteness of it. Something in her was bubbling with excitement at the thought of her  life with Jungkook that was to come.

The door to the room clicked and Jaci turned to see whoever was coming in, a goofy smile pasted on her face. But the smile fell when two men she didn't recognize burst into the room, slamming it shut behind them and deadbolting it.

"What do we have here?" said the smaller man in a heavy French accent, his eyes full of disgust and something else so sinister Jaci didn't want to even acknowledge it.

"The Chairman said there was just one wolf, not two. I love a good plus one deal," rasped the other man, his thin hand reaching into his coat to withdraw a small pistol.

"Ay, she-wolf, don't give us any trouble." The smaller man withdrew his own larger gun, complete with a silencer attached to the end of it.

Jaci felt like a tightly wound wire, every sense she had thrumming with adrenaline and fear. She bolted to her feet and stood in front of Jungkook, trying to shield him with her body as best she could. "Get out. You have no business here."

"Au contraire, we do have business here. Loose ends are quite loathe some, no? They cause more and more problems. That's why our Chairman insists they be cleaned up. And sadly for you and your unfortunate friend, you are both loose ends."

Jaci felt intense anger rising within her. Her heart was racing and contrary to her normal tendencies, she felt no desire to flee and leave Jungkook vulnerable to these two men. She had no desire to die, but if she were, she would do it protecting the one who was becoming more important to her with each passing moment.

"We are not loose ends and you will be doing no harm to me or him," said Jaci, nostrils now flaring and jaw clenched.

The two men smirked and snickered. That only served to make Jaci more angry. She felt her chest heaving with each breath. Just then, the door was being pounded on as the others tried to break down the door.

Jaci knew it wouldn't take them long, but the two men seemed to be in no hurry, slowly stalking closer and closer to her. They didn't seem concerned at all that Jaci had reinforcements just on the other side of the door.

"Stay back!" she shouted, as the two men inched closer. She swung her arm back and forth and sharp stabbing pains afflicted the ends of her fingers and she looked down to see claws poking out from her fingertips. Her eyes widened but she quickly pinned the two men down again with her gaze.

"Sorry, you despicable piece of garbage. We cannot do anything less than that which we were commanded to do."

"My friends are going to bust in that door, and you will both be incredibly sorry you ever threatened to hurt us," snickered Jaci.

The two men looked at one another and laughed. "You think we have not fought vampires and werewolves before? You think we have not thought of every contingency? Stupid wolf."

Jaci heard the door creaking and she felt emboldened knowing help would be in the room very soon. "I'm not stupid," she growled.

The taller man whipped past her and was on the other side of the bed before she realized it. She spun around, trying to keep both men in her sights. The tall one poked at Jungkook's temple with his gun and Jaci felt something snap inside her.

As the loud roar ripped from her chest, the door flung open, and two vampires and two werewolves all in full rage mode burst inside.

"You scum have quite the brass balls to come in here and attack a defenseless woman and an injured man." Zephyr's nose twitched as he focused his eyes on the men.

Jaci's fear all but disappeared as the man pressing his gun into Jungkook's temple put his finger on the trigger. She saw nothing but her white hot anger and she launched herself over Jungkook's body and attacked the man.

Zephyr threw his head back and laughed. "If this was all it took, I could have saved myself so much trouble!"

Taehyung and Sunny wasted no time rushing the smaller man, swiping at him with their claws and gnashing at him with their fangs.

Aydan stood beside his Master, one breath away from shifting and ripping through any Hunter left standing.

Zephyr placed his hands on his hips and surveyed the scene with a maniacal grin. "Settle, Aydan. I think we have no need to get our hands dirty with this one."

Strangled screams came from the other side of the bed, as growls, snarls, and snaps came in rapid succession.

"You are all fools! There will be more to take our place!"  shouted the small man, just as Taehyung grabbed his head and jerked it to the side. With one fierce bite, Taehyung had ripped out the man's throat, spitting out as much of the blood as he could.

With one problem neutralized, Sunny spun to see what she could do to help Jaci, but she didn't see Jaci anywhere.

All she saw was a brown and white wolf, it's muzzle covered in blood and it's shoulders heaving. Continuous growls were coming from it, as if it wasn't sure if it's enemy was dead or not, and it wasn't going to move until it was sure. 

"Jaci?" said Sunny in disbelief.

"Finally! The girl has shifted!" Zephyr slowly clapped his hands, a proud smile spread across his face.

Sunny inched closer to the wolf, hoping if it was Jaci, she was able to be rational and listen to reason. "Jaci? Is it really you?"

Jaci's head snapped over her shoulders and she snarled at Sunny's outstretched hand. Sunny jerked it back and stopped in her tracks.

Zephyr was nearly giddy. "Careful, vamp, she's not learned to control herself yet. Right now, I would be surprised if Jaci was even able to hear a word we say. She's in there, of course, but her wolf has finally been unleashed."

The room grew quiet, the only sounds being the snarls and growls of the wolf. She wasn't giving up on her enemy. The man was clearly dead, but the wolf wasn't backing off.

Sunny walked over and wrapped her hands around her husband's arm. Aydan watched the wolf with a cross between interest and caution. Zephyr was still smiling like a proud parent, his arms folded over his chest.

"She's not going to leave the carcass until she's sure it's dead," he said with a chuckle, leaning over to whisper his words to Taehyung,

Taehyung slowly slid his gaze over to Zephyr and he scowled in disgust. "You're sick."

Zephyr shrugged carelessly. "I'm not called an expert for nothing."

The wolf tugged on the limbs of the assassin, snarling and growling as she pulled. Whines and whimpers were interspersed between the growls, as if she didn't want to do it but couldn't help herself.

Suddenly, a hand was pressing the fur down on the top of the wolf's head.

Everyone in the room stilled and quieted as Jungkook leaned up and reached down beside the bed.

"Shhh. I'm here. I'm okay. You can rest. Let him go." His hand slowly pushed the fur down, dragging his fingernails along the top of her head between her ears.

The wolf dropped the man's arm and she pressed her head into Jungkook's hand. Whimpers and whines filled the room as one sought comfort and the other gave reassurance.

"You did well, Jaci," said Jungkook softly. "You will make a wonderful Luna. You can relax now."

Jaci's muzzle was pressed against his chest and he groaned. She jerked her head back, whimpering loudly.

"It still hurts, but it's so much better. I have you to thank for that," said Jungkook, slowly reaching out to the wolf and caressing her ears. "Can you shift back?"

The wolf sat down on her haunches and snorted into the air.

Jungkook laughed and nodded. "I agree. That would be embarrassing."

The wolf leapt up onto the bed, laying itself down next to Jungkook with a heavy, shuddering sigh. Jungkook slowly moved his aching arm to wrap around the bloody wolf, pressing his face into the thick fur around her neck.

"Shhh, just rest. You did so well. I'm so proud of you," breathed Jungkook, his lips pressing into her fur.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 5.7K 40
taekook werewolf au book 2/2 ┊fetus writing┊ !¡ sequel to heaven's devil ¡! ↬ jungkook's memories are gone and his luna has to get him back ☕︎ ┊...
1.2M 67.3K 50
As a male omega, the rarest and most desired kind of werewolves, Kim Taehyung has grown up in the shadows, hiding his true identity by taking scent s...
1K 45 19
Jeon Jungkook, a young Alpha, looking for his missing piece. His mate. Will he find her? What if she doesn't want him? Will he ever be able to feel c...
3.2K 216 24
She's practically Vampire royalty. He's one of the most well known Vampire Hunters. Will different sides keep them apart? TRIGGER WARNINGS Alcohol us...