The Shrewd Wolves (H&HP Serie...

By shruthii

"You don't want a mate and neither do I. So for the sake of our wolves, let's just complete the mating proces... More

Description
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Epilogue

Chapter 21

57.8K 1.7K 316
By shruthii

21st chapter and it is dedicated to @najlabaccar98 :D

And Ladies, swoon over Lucas's pic up there ^^^

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO @Lujoca :D

****

"The true value of communication is often not so much what you say to each other but the simple, powerful fact that you care enough to say something to each other so often."
― Johan Bruyneel
, We Might As Well Win: On the Road to Success with the Mastermind Behind a Record-Setting EightTour de France Victories

DARYA P.O.V

There was something warm and fluffy above me when I woke up and I am sure it was not my comforter because comforters aren't this heavy. I was still in my wolf form and I whimpered softly hoping it would wake up Quillon, who was sleeping over me. We were lying on the ground in some weird position. His one forelimb, which I had used as my pillow last night, was still below my head and rest of the body was above me.

It was like he was shielding me in his sleep. I liked it, a lot and so I gave up trying to wake him up. I looked up to see that it was very early in the morning. Even though the sun was up, the sky was a shade of dull blue. As my gaze travelled around, I was startled to find a camera pointed in our direction. My eyes widened to fullest extent when I saw a human, standing at least 30 feet away from us and clicking our pictures.

What the...? Is he going to put it up as a cover of some animal magazine?

He might be a wildlife photographer because he had that look plus he owned a professional camera. I don't know why he was in the woods so early morning but I guessed he had come to click pictures.

When the guy realized I was watching him, he slowly lowered his camera and stared at me with wide eyes. He was scared because he lost color but he wasn't moving either. When I made no move, he probably thought I was harmless, so he raised the camera. It made me furious and I growled murderously at him.

Quillon woke up after he heard my growl and slipped off me. His dark eyes clashed with mine and I couldn't help but remember our kiss last night. It was a good thing I was in my wolf form because that way my blush was not visible. Slowly, I turned my head to see if the guy had gone but the dude had some real audacity because he was still there and focusing his lens at us.

When Quillon noticed it, he stood up to his full height. His tall imposing wolf could make other wolves tremble; then what match was a human? When I looked again, the guy was not there.

But I still think he had clicked our pictures and I just hoped he wouldn't publish it. If he did, I am going to kill him... kidding!

Sighing, I glanced at Quillon, I found his eyes focused on the mark below my ear. The fur covered my mark but I could still feel it. It was fresh. He stepped closer and the moment his breath fanned my fur, I snapped my jaws near his muzzle. An earth shaking growl erupted from Quillon while he glared at me in warning and I seethed. I didn't know what we were going to do now but I sure as hell would kill Quillon if he continues with the part-away-as-friend's proposal.

This time I am definitely not kidding.

After I stood up, Quillon started running and I followed him because I know we were going home.

Twenty minutes later, we reached home. Since it was early in the morning, we did not encounter any other pack wolves on the way. Quillon pushed open the door to his house with his big blue head and while he went to gym room, I went upstairs in my wolf form.

Once in my new room, I shifted back, picked some clothes and rushed to take a shower.

After shower, I wrapped a towel around myself and checked my reflection in the mirror above the sink. My gaze involuntarily drifted towards the mark in my neck, which looked like a big hickey at the moment. I have seen other marked she-wolves and so I knew the redness of the skin around the mark would fade soon. But not the mark! It wouldn't fade until Quillon rejects me or I reject him. It would forever be there, connecting us as well as torturing us.

I touched the skin there and gulped when I felt how sensitive the mark was. While I kept stroking my fingers there, I was thinking what the hell I am going to do now? This was not in the plan... actually what the hell was even in the plan?

Oh right! Staying in the same house for sixty days. Quillon broke the rule first by asking me to share a room and then I broke the rule by letting him mark me. Is it bad or is it some progress in the relationship?

God! I don't know even know what the fuck is going on between us. We are not friends. Certainly not lovers. Not acquaintance. Not mates either because no mates behave the way we do.

What the hell are we? Roommates? Yes, I think! That's better. Yes. Quillon and I, we are roommates.

That. Is. It.

Taking a deep breath, I looked away and after brushing my teeth, I put on my clothes. I then found my platinum bracelet in the counter and smiling, I put it on. Thank-God! I did not put it on last night because if I had then it might have broken when I shifted. The bracelet was very important to me because it made me feel safe, loved and also reminded me that I was never alone. Five Alphas' were always there for me through thick and thin.

I did not want to go to college today because the moment Nick or my other guards see the mark in the neck; the news would spread around like a fire. I am not ready to face that furor today.

So I am going to skip college today and be cooped inside like a hen demanding answers from my... roommate about what is he going to do next.

While I came to the room, Quillon was not there. I thought he would be downstairs, but he was not there either. When I closed my eyes and tried to sense where he was, I heard the shower in a bathroom near the gym. Sighing, I went back upstairs.

It was seven in the morning and since I am not going to college, I decided to sleep.

I woke up at ten in the morning and stared at my surroundings in confusion until I heard Quillon's loud voice from downstairs. That was what woke me up!

Grumbling under my breath, I got up and opened the room door to hear the argument.

"I had told you no more than seven glasses" Quillon angry voice boomed around the household.

"It was my birthday" Quinn protested irately while I was going down.

"That's no bloody excuse" Quillon snapped. "You had school today-"

"Darya is skipping. Why cannot I?" Quinn said pointing at me the moment he saw me.

"She does not have attendance shortage like you" Quillon retorted.

"How do you know that?" Quinn asked with wide eyes after few minutes of silence.

"The next time I get a letter from your school, I will send it to dad" Quillon threatened and Quinn paled. I was not surprised to hear that. Quillon always covers for Quinton.

"It will not happen again" Quinn mumbled in a low voice with a guilty look.

"It better not" Quillon added while I sat on the couch and looked at Quinn, whose eyes were red and swollen. I inhaled sharply when I saw that and Quinn scowled at me.

"I am not stoned" he growled and I looked away. "It's due to lack of sleep" he added with a yawn.

"Then go to your room and sleep" Quillon said frowning at his brother. Since he was drunk, Quinn walked away like a drunkard. When I saw him, I realized that he was wearing the same clothes he wore to the party last night.

"He was out all night?" I asked Quillon, who looked at me with the same frowning face before nodding.

Just when I was about to ask him something, he disappeared into the kitchen. Sighing, I sat in the living room lost in my thoughts. I squeaked like a mouse when something dropped on my lap. It was a box of cookies and I looked at Quillon, who had thrown it there.

"There is no breakfast" he said walking towards his office.

Shaking my head, I went to the kitchen to search for milk carton. While I was waiting for the milk to boil, Quillon came to the room, with his phone.

"Your brother wants to talk to you" he said keeping his cell phone on the stool.

"Duncan? What's wrong?" I asked after placing the cell phone next to my ear.

"You tell me what's wrong. I called you at least twenty times and so did others. Why did you skip college today?" Duncan demanded from the other side.

"My phone is upstairs and I... I am not feeling well... headache" I lied.

"Darya?" his tone was suspicious.

"Yes... I am fine just a little headache. Went to Quinn's birthday party yesterday and it was late at night while we returned" I said and gulped.

"Party in that rain?" Duncan asked startled.

"We went before that" I corrected and Duncan sighed.

"Alright. Keep your phone with you. I will call to check on you later" he added before ending the call.

I turned off the heat, drank the milk and then went to Quillon's office to give him his cellphone.

Quillon was so into his laptop that he did not even notice me entering. But when I kept the phone on the table, I saw the change in his posture but he still didn't look at me. My eyes narrowed and a growl emanated from my throat because I knew he was purposely avoiding me. Quillon's eyes darted upwards and when they met mine, they shone like black diamond.

A perfect dark brow rose upwards when I glared at him.

Gritting my teeth, I tucked my hair away and bared my neck so that he could see his art work. "Explain" I stipulated.

Color flared his prominent cheekbones when he saw the mark but his face, like always, remained devoid of any emotion. "Explain what?"

"Explain this" I snapped poking his mark on my neck. "What the hell is this? And what the hell am I going to do with this?" Quillon did not have any answer because he stared at me without uttering a single word and with that stupid blank face which right this moment, I wanted to punch badly. "You know what this is going to do to us... right?" my voice was wobbly and Quillon noticed it too.

He nodded slowly and I inhaled sharply. His lack of response was getting to me and I clenched my jaws. "Good. Then you must also know that, if I die then I am going to kill you too" I hissed and Quillon smirked.

He smirked! It was like he was expecting me to say something of this sort and that made me see red.

"I hate you so much right now" I muttered glaring at him.

"What do you want me to do? Apologize?" he asked frowning.

"If you are regretting it, yes" I retorted.

"Do you regret it?"

"I asked you first" I growled.

"No"

His answer took me by surprise and I gasped. My wolf stopped pacing and wagged her tail. No- Just one word, with two alphabets but it was enough to send my heart racing like a Formula One engine. For endless moment, I just stared at him at a loss of words.

"Your turn" Quillon said and I slowly shook my head. Maybe I was sad yesterday, but I was sad because I was happy he marked me. I was upset and shocked at my own confusing feelings. My cheeks turned warm after I admitted the truth and I looked at his pen collection in the pen-stand. "Then what the hell is the problem?" his asked in a loud voice standing up.

"The problem? The problem is this-" I poked my neck once again and winced because it was sensitive. "-is permanent. It does not expire after forty-nine days."

"And who wanted that expiry date?" he accused and my mouth dropped down.

"The fuck" I gasped. "Are you blaming me?" I questioned narrowing my eyes into slits. And in the drain it goes... all my hopes of us being mates. My wolf was hurt too but she was angrier than hurt.

When there was no response from him, I moved towards him. "Don't you dare blame me" I imparted furiously pointing my index at him. "I was not the one who phoned you at night asking to try it for two months" I reminded bitterly.

"Really? Then who was it who told me to go to hell when I came up with the easiest solution" Quillon spat. His words made my wolf furious and she dropped her mouth to bare her fangs.

I reacted instantly as usual. Swinging my hands back, I lifted it all the way up. But Quillon caught my hands before I could strike his cheek.

"No doll-face" Quillon said shaking his head with a cold smile. His eyes were dark and his tone, threatening. I have never seen him like this before and I don't wish to see him like this ever either. His cold smile was dreadful and it chilled me to the marrow. "I let you get away once, but never again" he added tightening the hold on my wrist.

"Let go. You are hurting me" everywhere. I added silently in my mind.

Quillon dropped my hands and I clamped down the sob threatening to erupt from my throat. My wolf was infuriated and she refused to give up. So taking a deep breath, I looked up to meet his eyes. "I swear on God, until you apologize for that offer Quillon, I will never agree to be anything other than your roommate" I declared and turned to leave so that I could curl like a ball and cry as much as I wanted to without him seeing it.

But Quillon caught my arms and whirled me to face him. "Look, I am sorry. I should not have said that" Quillon mumbled uncomfortably.

"But it's exactly what you were thinking about" I shot out in splintering fury. "What am I, a piece of meat that both of you want to feast upon?" I bit out in distaste, only later realizing what I blurted out.

Quillon's whole stance changed almost immediately. It turned dangerous and rigid with tension. He pulled me closer to his body. "BOTH?" his voice was animalistic and I did not miss his clenched jaws, curled fists or the dark eyes.

"I... I don't know what I am ta-talking about" I stuttered shakily.

"Don't you fucking dare lie to me Darya" Quillon warned encircling hands on my arms and compelling me to look at him.

"Konrad" I forced out.

"HE. WANTS. YOU?" Each word was spelled out lethally.

"My blood" I whispered closing my eyes shut. Konrad has drank the blood of other four like me, but after drinking my blood, he could get complete control of all the elements. And when I say drinking my blood, I also mean tearing apart my body and feasting on it like a horrendous monster that he is.

"Not going to happen" Quillon said letting go of my arms. "Never going to happen" he said and I looked at him to see him shaking his head, but his body was trembling in rage. "Nobody takes what's mine away from me" his last sentence was told in a rough voice before he finally shifted into his midnight blue wolf.

I sucked in a breath when I stared at the powerful beast in front of me. Before I could touch him and provide him comfort, Quillon ran out of the window.

I walked towards the window and stared at his retreating figure until it vanished from my view. For a long, long time, I stood there and kept staring until I heard his howl. A howl of anguish. It disturbed my wolf, but she did not want us to run after him. She wanted to stay away from him for now and go close to him only after we finish our talk.

I sat in his office and patiently waited for him to come. After the first ten minutes, I started looking at the shelf in one end, where there was a various collection of books and files. The files, I supposed were confidential and hence I did not touch them, but I started reading the books and groaned when I realized they were all business and stock market related.

While I was looking, at the photos in the shelf, my eyes gleamed and I smiled, when I saw a photo of Quillon as a little boy. Gosh! He was very cute and chubby with his thick mop of curly hair and as usual he had a grumpy look on his face. But even then no one could deny that he was adorable. Quinn's photo was also there and he too was very cute.

In the wall beside the shelf, there were photo's of all male members of Sander's family... probably former Alphas' of Serene Pack. Quillon's dad, his grandpa and... my lips parted in surprise when I studied the photo of Quillon's grandpa's elder brother, Stephen Sanders. Quillon and Stephen Sanders looked like identical twins. The only difference was that Stephen Sanders was comparatively lean and had straight black hair along with a pencil moustache, unlike Quillon. But other than that, one couldn't tell any difference while staring at their photos.

Duncan had told me that the then young Alpha, Stephen Sanders, had left the pack after he was humiliated by my grandpa and other two Alphas'.

Well, Stephen Sanders departure was one of the main reasons why Serene and Emperor were enemies and I wondered how long it would take for Quillon to consider me as his mate than an enemy pack member.

As I thought about it, all I wanted to do was sit in my room and sulk, but then what good it would do. Instead, I went to the garage, picked up my gardening tools and got down to work in the garden.

_________

Meanwhile at Grier Pack...

Parking his Volkswagen near the gates of the school building, Ekon waited patiently for the bell to ring. There were many other people near the gate, waiting for the bell to ring, just like him. But the only difference was that those people had come here for their children, while Ekon had come here for the teacher of those children.

He had come here often before, just to catch a glimpse of his mate, Meryl. One look at her beautiful face and all his problems would vanish. He would savor a picture of her face in his mind until he would see her for the next time. It was the only thing in this world that had kept him sane.

After talking to Darya, he had realized his mistake and he decided to set things right. He had come here to apologize to Meryl and beg her for a second chance. He would not give up on her. He refused to give up on her because it was plain and simple that he could not live without her in this world. She was his sun.

Ekon had not seen Konrad after his talk with Darya. He had not informed Konrad that he was leaving for good. Not informed Konrad that he would never work with him again. Ekon had already decided that he was leaving to start a new life. And the only aim in this new life was to keep his mate happy.

His life was fucked up badly. He had killed innocent wolves and the families of those wolves had vowed revenge. He knew they would come for him. Which is why placing a stone on his heart, he had rejected Meryl. A cold shiver ran down his spine and he gritted his teeth.

Was he doing the right thing now? He did not know. All he wanted was for Meryl to be happy. She was the only one he cared about other than... Konrad!

Even though Konrad was bad, Ekon still could not hate him because Konrad was created to be the way he is. He was not born. He had no childhood like all others. He does not know, does not understand feelings. It's not his fault he is this way. It's his creators fault. His father- Leo, Serge and Isadora Hampton, these three were to be blamed. They are dead but what they made is spreading poison around because he was told that was the right thing to do. So, is it right for others to blame Konrad when all he does is follow his father's orders without even knowing it is the wrong thing?

A growl caught Ekon's attention and he turned his head to look at two she-wolves, who were waiting for their children, frowning at him. Ekon tensed the moment he saw them. They would surely inform their Alpha Tyler Grier that he was present here.

For a second Ekon wondered what would he do if the Grier Pack wolves come to capture him. If they do, it was okay too but he refused to be taken away before talking to Meryl. It had taken a lot of courage for him to come here and now that he was here, he would not leave until he had his say. Moreover, he had not come here to hurt any pack wolves, just to talk to one- his mate.

The bell rang and Ekon leaned forward in his seat. Soon the children would be out and Meryl would come out to drop them too. He knew it.

The school watchman opened the gate and soon parents stormed inside. Slowly, one after another the children came out of their classroom, like a mini train. The moment they spotted their parents the children would rush towards them.

Ekon nervously tapped his feet, keeping his eyes glued to the door of the classroom. His mouth curved to form a smile when he saw a woman come out, but faltered when he realized that it was not his mate. The woman had blonde hair, while Meryl had rich auburn hair.

Ekon frowned wondering if Meryl was in school or not. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath. His wolf jumped in excitement and Ekon's heart skipped a beat when he took in Meryl's scent. She was here.

Slowly, he opened his eyes and gulped when he spotted Meryl coming out of the classroom, holding hands of two little girls. His brows hitched together when he saw that her skin was pale and there were dark circles under her eyes. Ekon winced as he realized he was the cause for it. Ever since he rejected her, she had lost all her liveliness.

He muttered a curse as he recalled that fateful day when he had rejected Meryl as his mate. Even though he did it for her protection, he knew he had hurt her very badly. She had cried, begged even asking him not to do it but Ekon had not listened to her. He just wanted her out and away from the bad world he was living in.

As he climbed out of the car, Ekon once again wondered if he was doing the right thing or not. He felt he was giving Meryl false hopes, dreams. His past would never leave him... what if it seizes Meryl too?

He stared at Meryl, who waved at the girls, once they sat inside their father's car. She smiled, but her smile did not reach her eyes.

"If you walk away from her now, she will be bitter about it for the rest of her life. If you choose to be with her, then you can provide her that happiness which she will cherish for the rest of her life. That's one more decision you have to make on your own"

Ekon couldn't help but recall Darya's words while he saw Meryl. Darya was right! Meryl was losing herself... she was becoming cold and Ekon would not let that happen. While Meryl turned to go to her class, Ekon strode towards her.

He stopped in his tracks, the same moment she stopped in hers. Ekon sucked in a breath because he knew she sensed him.

Slowly, Meryl turned her head to look at him. Ekon felt the world around him stop the moment his eyes collided with Meryl's icy blue ones. Her lips parted in surprise when she saw him and Ekon gulped.

For a long, long time neither of them moved. They stood where they were and just stared at each other. Ekon's wolf whimpered when he saw tears on Meryl's cheeks.

"Ekon" she said in a barely audible voice, as if she could not believe he was standing in front of her.

Ekon nodded slowly.

Meryl gasped, sobbed and then ran ahead to close the distance between them. As she flung herself into Ekon's arms, he locked her in a tight embrace and buried his face on the crook of her neck. His wolf closed his eyes and howled loudly calling for his mate to which she responded almost immediately.

"Forgive me" Ekon whispered while she sobbed against his chest. "I will never hurt you like that again" he swore feverishly.

While Meryl continued sobbing, Ekon pulled away from her and cupped her face with his large hands. His heart clenched in pain when he saw her tear stained face. With his thumb he wiped her cheeks and then leaning forward rested his brow against hers.

"Promise?" Meryl asked crying.

Ekon closed his eyes and nodded a reply. "I love you" he said the words against her mouth.

Meryl sobbed loudly and then wrapping her arms around his neck, she pressed herself closer to his body.

Tyler Grier sat in the back seat of his car and watched the reunion of the mates while unwarily toying with his cell phone. Even though he did not like Ekon- who worked for Konrad- he was happy for Meryl. The poor girl deserved some happiness in her life.

'Alpha' one of his pack wolves, who had surrounded the area to attack and capture Ekon, called him. 'Do we attack now?'

Narrowing his eyes, Tyler watched Ekon who was whispering soothing words to his mate. The rogue had come here alone without any one and without any weapon. Looking at him, it did not take a genius to figure that Ekon had no intention of attacking the pack wolf. He had come here only for Meryl.

Tyler's cell phone started ringing and he answered well aware who the caller was. She had been calling him ever since he informed her that the rogue was in his territory.

"Well?" Darya demanded from the other side.

"He apologized to Meryl and by the looks of it, she is going to go with him" Tyler mumbled while he watched the couple kiss.

"I told you, he would not attack your pack" Darya said and Tyler smirked.

"You always were a smart cookie kiddo" he told her.

"Thanks" Darya said and he knew she was smiling on the other end. "So you are not going to capture Ekon right?" she asked hesitantly.

"No"

"Thank-you so much for this. It means a lot to me" Darya gushed.

"I hope it means a lot to the rogue too" Tyler couldn't help but say.

"He loves her" Darya stated confidently. "Ekon does not seem like the type who would hurt his mate" Darya mumbled sadly at the end. Tyler stiffened the moment he heard the sadness laced in her tone.

"Is everything alright there?" he asked in concern.

"Yes... yes, everything is fine... great actually." Tyler was unconvinced by Darya's answer. Something was not right. Did that Quillon hurt her? If so, Tyler swore he would kill him with his bare hands.

"I have to go... cook lunch... bye" she said and hung up.

"Cook lunch?" Vanessa, Tyler's mate, who was seated beside him in the back-seat, said unimpressed. "She is as bad as Sel when it comes to cooking. Something is wrong. She sounded sad" Vanessa stated the obvious and Tyler gritted his teeth.

"I know" Tyler said with a growl. It has to be Quillon's fault! "I will tell Sel to check on her" he muttered dialing his cousin-sister's number.

While he waited for Sel to answer the call, his pack wolves called him, waiting for his command.

'What do we do?' the same wolf asked.

Through astute eyes, Tyler watched Ekon, who was holding Meryl's hand and striding towards his car.

'We leave' Tyler commanded the very moment Sel answered the call.

_________

DARYA P.O.V

I dropped my phone on the seat next to me and silently thanked God. I was very happy Tyler did not kill Ekon, like he had planned to when he came to know Ekon was in Grier Pack. Meryl and Ekon deserved to be happy and I hope they find that happiness.

I was about to go out and continue my work, but stopped when I spotted Quillon's wolf jumping over the compound wall. Sighing, I pulled the main door wide open so that he could come inside. I then went to garden, picked up my tools and kept it back in the garage.

While I entered the house again, Quillon was already dressed and heading upstairs. "Quinn did not wake up yet?" he demanded and I shook my head. It was almost two in the noon and my stomach was growling in hunger. So, I picked up my phone and ordered lunch from the same restaurant that Quillon does. It belonged to an elderly wolf from the pack and the food there was simply appetizing.

I was checking my mails when Quillon came downstairs. "I ordered lunch" I informed.

"From Ryan's right?" he asked and I nodded without looking at him.

My eyes opened to their fullest extent when Quillon sat near me in the couch. There were place all around, but he was sitting right next to me, our arms slightly brushing against each other. My wolf growled not appreciating the gesture, instead wondering what he is up to. Oh my! She was really pissed with him.

"I am sorry" he muttered and my lips curved to form a smile at first, but then I remembered that I was supposed to be angry at him.

Compressing my lips, I asked, "For what?" in an impassive tone.

"For earlier" his voice was barely audible.

"For being an ass?" I decided to be helpful but unfortunately, Quillon did not feel the same way because he growled and moved a little away from me.

"I did not mean it that way, okay? I was angry because you were counting days" he breathed out harshly.

"Counting days?" I was confused.

"We have fifty-one days left. We have forty-nine days left" Quillon mimicked in a high pitched voice, which I think was how I sound according to him.

"I do not sound like that" I scowled.

"It's like you are trying to remind me every single time that after sixty days you are returning to Emperor" he continued as if I had not spoken.

"Forty-nine days" I corrected and immediately closed my eyes shut as I realized my mistake.

"Understood what I meant?" Quillon was glaring at me and I flushed in my seat. He kept on glaring at me and I lost my nerve.

"What else do you expect? I am protecting myself" I shouted standing up. I needed distance from him... to be in control. "My wolf and I are hesitant to trust you after that fabulous offer you made to us that night?" I reminded curling my lips. Mate and part-away like friends... really? I get angry every time I think about it.

Quillon lowered his head and caught it in his hands. Growling, he looked up, "Fine. I am sorry. Alright? It was stupid of me and I wouldn't have gone through with it even if you have accepted it."

"Forgive me if I find that a little difficult to believe" I said sarcastically placing a hand over my heart.

"I apologized. What else do you want me to do? And besides why are you being so judgmental? I bet your first thought when you first came to know I was your mate was to run away" Quillon said glaring at me and I pursed my lips because he was right.

That is exactly how I felt. Knowing that someone from enemy pack is my mate did not exactly made me happy the first time.

"I am right, aren't I?" he said when I looked away. "That's exactly how I felt."

"But I did not ask you to mate and walk away" I reminded resentfully. "Why did you do that?"

"It's what you said earlier... protecting myself from... I was protecting myself" he hesitated and I scowled at him.

"Protecting yourself from what exactly?" When there was no answer from him, I clenched my fists. "Quillon" I snapped in serious frustration. "Protecting yourself from what?"

"Protecting myself from you" Quillon yelled at full force making me jump back in fright.

"Me? What would I do to you?" I gasped in a whisper.

"I want you" Quillon said looking me in the eye and I inhaled sharply and felt my cheeks warm. Oh God! "I wanted you even before I came to know you were my mate" he said and I gulped.

Oh!

My wolf raised her ears in interest and I almost frowned at her. That female is crazy! The thought of Quillon with other girls before he met me, riles her up. But the thought that Quillon wanted me, even before he came to know I was his mate, makes her feel incredibly proud of herself. Does she even make any sense?

"That has never happened to me before" Quillon growled out glaring at me as if it was my fault and I stood gaping at him, unsure on what to say. "I am always in control. Especially when it comes to emotions... but with you... it's difficult. I feel your every single emotion. It is hundred times stronger than compared to others. All rational thoughts fly out of my mind when I come close to you" he continued talking while pacing around.

"It's the mate thing" I said after sometime... actually after my wolf finally decided to stop flying in the air. "Happens to me too" I mumbled weakly, while staring at the floor.

"Yeah?" Quillon asked doubtfully and looking up, I nodded grudgingly. My brain stops functioning when I am with him... That is not good.

Sighing, both of us sat on the couch... next to each other and this time, my wolf hummed happily. I swear I will kill her one day!

We were in a strange situation. Both of us are attracted to each other, but we don't like the fact that we are attracted to each other. I should not like him and he should not like me. Yet, we cannot help ourselves.

"Is it good or bad?" he said and I blushed all the way to my chest. It was a good feeling because it is something I have never experienced before and when I do... I like it because it makes me happy.

"Good" I said staring at my own feet. "You?"

"Good" Quillon said and I smiled, but I still did not look at him.

There was complete silence for a long time. Breathing in, I sat straight and asked, "So you really do not regret marking me?"

"No. I could have pulled back if I wanted to" he said and I gaped at him.

"I could have stopped you if I wanted to" I told him.

"But you didn't"

"So didn't you" I countered.

My mouth dropped down and Quillon's eyes widened as we realized what we said just said. Closing my mouth, I turned my head to look at the window. Quillon, who was sitting beside me, too kept staring at the same window.

Why didn't we stop? That was the main question here. I knew the answer why, but I gulped as I realized why Quillon did not stop.

My heart was racing in my chest and I bit my lip to stop the smile but couldn't stop the color marring my cheeks.

I was right.

We were working on being mates, in our own weird way!

The sound of doorbell buzzing was a welcome distraction and Quillon stood up to take the order. "Serve this. I am going to call Quinn" he said keeping the parcel on the dining table. Sighing, I got up and went to kitchen to bring extra plates.

While the brothers came down, the food was already served.

"Are you alright?" I asked Quinn, who was yawning in his seat.

"I am good" he said smiling lazily.

While we were eating, I got a mail from Granel. Taking a sip of my water, I read the mail.

The glass clinked against the table when I placed it with a growl. "What's wrong?" Quillon, who was sitting next to me, demanded taking my cell phone.

"Konrad's next victim" I said while Quillon saw the pictures of the hotel room covered in blood.

"He belongs to Supreme Pack?"

"A pack fighter. He is survived by his mate and two children" I said with a gulp. I have lost my appetite after seeing that picture. I couldn't eat anymore.

"There is nothing left of the body" Quillon said giving me my cell phone back.

"It's always the same way. The more blood Konrad drinks, the stronger he becomes. An Alpha blood is like gold for him and..." my blood is like nectar of immortality.

"And?" Quillon probed when I did not continue.

"And a gifted wolf's blood is like a diamond" I said instead. "That's how he survives. Feeding on our kind" I mumbled taking another large sip of the water, thus emptying the glass.

"While he feeds on another wolf, he gets their powers" Quillon said and I nodded.

"It need not be gift. It can be just physical strength"

"I know. He has killed fighters from my pack" Quillon said with a growl. "How many Alphas' has he killed so far?"

"Two. Alpha Peter Moreland and Alpha Andrew Coast. Duncan had said he had seen Konrad bathing in Alpha Peter's blood" I whispered with a gulp.

"You knew Alpha Peter?" Quillon asked turning to look at me.

"Yes. He was a good man. It's because of him, five pack Alphas' are so good friends now" I said softly.

There was another clink sound and gasping, I turned to look at Quinn, whose head dropped down to his plate, while he was dozing in his seat.

"I swear he is adopted" Quillon murmured from beside me, while we watched Quinn who was sleeping on his plate of noodles. Tilting my head, I chuckled lightly, wondering how can one sleep with food stuck on their face.

After Quillon took Quinn to his room, I cleaned the mess on the table. My cell phone rang while I was removing my gloves. I tensed when I saw the caller name.

"Hi" I said chirpily.

"You skipped classes" Sel said from the other side and I gulped.

"Yeah... head ache"

"Uh-huh" she said and I closed my eyes shut. How does she do that? It's like she knows me better than I know myself.

"I am not lying"

"You are lying again" she said.

"Your name should have been Sherlock Holmes" I hissed through gritted teeth.

"Come home now-"

"I cannot" I frowned.

"-Or else I will come to Serene" she finished silkily and I clenched my fists.

"I will be there before 4" I spat and hung up. I slapped my phone against my forehead and groaned loudly. They are going to flip when they see the mark on my neck.

"Going to Emperor?" Quillon asked and when I faced him, I saw him smirking at me.

"I will put the blame on you" I threatened.

"I think you said you could have stopped me if you wanted to" he reminded meanly.

"I lied"

"Really?"

"I hate you" I breathed out.

"Feelings mutual doll face" he said.

But instead of growling or glaring at each other, we were trying to suppress our grin.

****

I hope this made up for the long gap :)

Please share with me your views on this chapter. Next will be posted on 2nd April and those who are waiting for a fight scene... it will be in chapter 24... yes! You have to wait a wee bit for that chapter!

Please vote, comment and follow!

Love :-*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 4.4K 26
If you enjoy this story please check out my rewritten version on my profile. Landon stood up and pressed Lyla against the wall so she couldn't escap...
543K 15.4K 37
"What do you want now?" she said gritting her teeth as he got closer and closer by every second. "I want nothing else but you Angel..."he whispered...
3.1M 70.4K 43
To grow up in a world where female shifters are rare, being one is a big deal- and thats why Cassidy hides that she is one from the rest of the pack...
13.2M 362K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...