My Mistake ⌲ River Phoenix

By starrymccartney

❝Wait,❞ I spun around to him - soon noticing the gap between us had been closed. ❝Stay.❞ It was the only w... More

2; my mistake
3; my heavy heart cannot hold its weight
4; i'm tired of listening
5; for the wind through
6; a crack in the door
7; so you're invisible
8; i wish i was seeing you more
9; that night i watched you walk
10; from my porch
11; you carried just a match
12; instead of a torch
13; i'm tired of listening for a whisper through
14; a crack in the wall
15; so, you're invisible
16; i still don't know who you are
17; oh at least i wasn't there
18; oh when it was sinking in
19; when the hours returned to sand
20; in the glass
21; oh what a day to not be there
22; my mistake
23; the end

1; don't tell me it's my fault

1.9K 29 10
By starrymccartney

THE BEGINNING

Everybody likes to be something they're not. It's the trouble with our world, really. All the glitz and glamor of the 80s' isn't truly my scene - but more of a sad excuse to get high and act as if the world doesn't matter, well in my sister's eyes anyway.

If you insist on knowing, she basically raised me. I love my parents - but they weren't around when I was a kid and they sure as hell aren't around now. They were the kind of parents that never hugged me, never showed or gave any love of any shape or form. I like to think that maybe they are the reason I refuse to show emotion.

If anything good came out of my childhood, it would be the way my parents read to me. You know, the one week out of the year they were in town. Each week each year would be a new book, some of the most notable consisting of The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye. They like to credit my sister's behavior to Daisy Buchanan because she is in love with the idea of money, ease, and material luxury. As for me, they like to say that I am the embodiment of Holden Caufield - who in my opinion, is simply misunderstood.

Anyway, my sister Carmen, Carm for short, is the reason I'm still in this city of Gainseville, Florida. It's truly wretched living here except during the month of April - as colorful blooms of azaleas and redbud complement a usual cloudless blue sky. But, unfortunately, it's October. October 16, 1989, to be exact.

The whole reason we even live here is because my sister ran out of her wedding. True story, by the way. She had just turned 22 and had been with her high school sweetheart for what seemed like forever, well until she became a runaway bride. Boy, was everyone upset. My parents even came down and help pay for practically everything. You could probably guess that they virtually disowned her after that.

Carm hates talking about that night. I'm guessing it's because she had abandoned the life she used to live. One she calls now "an imprisonment of the century."

As much as I love Carm, I envy her. She has the type of elusive beauty you only see in the movies. She had long blonde hair that she always burned straight every morning. She looked over me - catching me in the midst of my gaze.

"God, lil sis. You've got a real staring problem. It's creepy," she spoke quickly as she tied her hair into a ponytail. She was getting ready to go out on her 7th date of the week. While, for me, I was getting ready to go to work.

I have been working at THE HARDBACK CAFE for 3 years now. When we first moved here, Carm secured me the job when she strutted in the establishment with a tube top and stone-washed jeans. And when I say that I mean she slept with the manager. Ever since then, I work there 5 days a week as a waitress.

I stumbled into work with my disheveled hair and unkempt apron that was way too big for me. The cafe was packed tonight, not sure why, but frankly, I couldn't care less. This job was practically a chore for me now, and if I wanted to continue living with the freak I call my sister, I had to start pulling my weight.

"Ah, it wouldn't be a night at the Hardback without Amoreena running late with two different colored socks," my friend, Asher joked. He was the bartender of this whole joint. He was the kind of guy who always wore a black leather jacket with some ripped jeans. Not to mention, he made some pretty rad drinks to forget your troubles. Anyone and everyone loved him. All the regulars come for him and only him.

"Are you the sock police now?" I asked as I kneaded my eyebrows together. I looked up at the dark silhouette of his face. He let out a small chuckle as he looked down onto his next alcohol concoction. He had a type of beauty to him that made all girls be immediately enamored within the second of meeting him.

"Hey, Reena, I can be anything you want me to be," he laughed and I rolled my eyes as I walked into the kitchen.

"Table 10 through 14 all need drinks, Amoreena. Chop, chop!" My manager, Rick yelled at me the second I stepped into the server alley. I then grabbed my drink tray and walked onto the floor.

"What can I get for you guys today?" I asked a table of 2 lanky-looking guys. They both had long blonde hair that fell over their eyes.

"Just two waters please," The one on the left answered as the other one snickered to himself. I didn't know what was so funny. "I don't think she knows you," the one on the left spoke quickly to the other. I turned back abruptly.

"What was that?" I asked, not really sure what they said in the midst of the loud music.

"Nothing, it's just, your apron is untied. Wouldn't want you tripping on the strings now would we," the one on the right laughed as he glanced up at me. He had these bright green eyes that I found myself glaring at. "Here, let me tie it for you." He then proceeded to get up from the booth and walked behind me. I've never had anyone in my entire life tie my apron strings for me, so when he did, I kind of just stood there in shock.

"Um, thanks," I mumbled, suddenly feeling my head get heavy. I couldn't lie to myself knowing that the feeling of him behind me gave me butterflies. As I turned my back to go get their water, he stopped me and proceeded to look down at my name tag.

"Now... Amoreena, that's quite the big apron you've got on yourself. Let me call the manager for you so we can guarantee you aren't dropping our waters on your way back," he spoke quickly, and before I could even respond to his sly remark, he yelled out, "Can I get a manager over here?" Out of my luck, Rick made his way over here.

"What can I help you with?" Rick asked as he glanced over at me then eyed the two mischievous boys up and down. I stood there dumbfounded, not exactly sure what was going on.

"You see, Amoreena here nearly tripped! You've got to get her a new apron, one that's actually her size," the green-eyed boy teased. Rick wasn't having it though. He let out a scoff and squinted his eyes at the two boys - potentially trying to contemplate if they were pulling a prank. Why did I have to be in the middle of this?

"What are you, her boyfriend?" Rick asked curtly and the two boys exchanged raised eyebrows at each other. The way Rick said that gave off a feeling that maybe they had met before.

"Yup, you have a problem?" the green-eyed boy on the right smiled. My jaw hit the floor - and apparently so did Rick's.

"He's not my-" But, before I could finish my sentence, he grabbed my hand, and I felt some sort of electricity run through my whole body.

"The customer is always right, the customer is always right," Rick chanted to himself as he walked away - presumably to get me a new apron. The two boys let out loud laughs as I stood there completely silent - not even trying to understand their little game.

"My name's Josh, by the way," the quiet one that remained seated said. I then looked at the emerald-eyed boy who seemed to have no trouble getting me in trouble with my manager. He smiled to himself, creating little creases on his cheeks.

"And you are?" I asked rudely.

"Rio, and look, I do apologize about that whole fiasco - I'm trying to get into the mindset of this character," he spoke softly then pursed his lips.

"What, you've got multiple personalities or something?" I joked and his face exhibited an unreadable type of confusion.

"It's a Holden Caufield marine type of role," He explained. Holden Caufield?

"The Catcher in the Rye is my favorite novel," I said confidently. Rio's eyes widened, then he looked down at his watch. Josh then nudged his arm - prompting him to pick up his guitar case that was seemingly hidden underneath the wooden table.

"Nice meetin' ya, Amoreena, but we got to get on that stage," Josh said as he motioned for a group of 3 others to follow his lead. They were playing tonight? I watched as they set up on stage. I then walked over to the bar stand, trying to fully understand what had just happened.

"The weirdest thing just happened," I said as I watched Asher clean off his glass cup.

"Yeah?"

"That fucking lead singer somehow managed to get me an apron that fits me... I've tried asking Rick for years and he never listened. Why does it work now?" I asked with a defeated sigh.

"Well, I think it's your own fault you're this slow," he chuckled as he turned his back to me.

"Don't tell me it's my fault - you sound like my sister," I rebuffed.

"How is Carms doing anyway? Does she ever talk about me-"

"Asher! That's not the point. I've got a real problem on my hands right now," I said as I walked behind the bar and poured myself a drink. "Everyone seems to know that kid except me."

"Reena, that's River Phoenix there who tied your apron."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 669 36
Everything started the night before we moved out of our town. I decided to take a late night swim at the lake I love the most. It was sort of a goodb...
219K 3.7K 100
THIS BOOK IS COMPLETED! <3 ❝ life moves pretty fast. if you don't stop to look around once in awhile, you could miss it. ❞ ❝ stay gold. ❞ have you...
2.7K 29 12
𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕍𝕖𝕣𝕟 𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝔼𝕟𝕚𝕕 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕠𝕪𝕤 𝕛𝕠𝕚𝕟 𝕙𝕚𝕞 𝕚𝕟 𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕡𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝕗𝕚𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕠𝕕𝕪 𝕠𝕗 ℝ�...
89.3K 4K 17
Growing up in a large, middle-class (if not lower) family had its challenges. More than I can account for actually. I had five older sisters and two...