The Gift of the Princess (HTT...

By PedePaulie

Princess Eira of Torvald is pleased to have found her place in the archipelago. She is doing good work on Ber... More

Daily Struggles
The Dragon Trappers
Gathering Information
Little Progress
Working it Out
An Old Friend
Dragon Training
An Unexpected Turn
Clashing
The Search
Critical Choices
Discovered
Reunion
Fading Fast
New Plan
Recruits and Setbacks
One Step More
Final Preperations
The Brawl
A Stronger Power
A New Chapter
Cut Off
Obstacles
Adjusting
Conversations
Village Life
A Chief's Predicament
Protection
Disappearances
Insights
Getting to the Bottom of Things
The Truth
Figuring Things Out
Striking Back
Roadblocks
Changes of Heart
The Right Way
Hostile Welcome
Working Hard
Differences of Opinion
Options
The Meeting
Brave and Bold
Taming
Conquering Fears
Drago's Plan
Wild One
The Second Attempt
Moving Forward
Pressure Mounting
Lingering Doubts
Taking Charge
Going All Out
Dwindling Chances
Redemption
Taking Sides
Brewing Storm
Fully Prepared
New Beginnings
Epilogue

Showdown

72 2 0
By PedePaulie

Chapter 59: Showdown

"Don't worry, bud," Hiccup said softly to Toothless as the first rays of sun appeared in the sky. "We'll get through this. No matter what happens, we will work together to get out of this." Toothless pressed his nose against the bar of his cage whined softly. Then his demeanor changed complete as Grimmel approached.

Grimmel paid no heed to the snarling dragon and instead addressed Hiccup, "It is time."

Hiccup glared at him. "You will never succeed."

"Let us let history be the judge of that." Grimmel opened Hiccup's cage and immediately wrapped an arm around him, using his free hand to hold a dagger to his throat. "Come quietly, dragon. There is no need for anyone to get hurt."

Toothless had no choice but to ferry both of them back to Night Fury Island. It seemed Grimmel had taken over development of the island. Drago's defensive structures had been moved near the caves, where there were countless men already hard at work. A stage had been erected right in front of the entrance to the Hidden World. It was here that Grimmel made Toothless landed. The Vikings carefully dismounted the dragon, Grimmel keeping a close hold on Hiccup.

"I am sure your friends will be here momentarily," Grimmel said. "Then we can get this show on the road."

Hiccup eyed him suspiciously. "What exactly do you plan to do?"

"If they will not listen to reason, I will have no choice but to eliminate the threat they pose through force. It is the way of the world, after all."

"It does not have to be. We can learn to live in peace."

"To the detriment of human progress."

Hiccup thought about all the ways Berk had changed since they accepted dragons and all the improvements they had made. "That's not true. Real progress is made by interacting with those who are different from us. Innovation cannot thrive when new ideas are stifled by those who seek control."

Grimmel's eyes narrowed slightly. "It appears we have a different definition of 'progress.'" He turned his head away. "It is irrelevant. My forces are already gathering. Soon I will prove I am right."

Hiccup also swept his gaze across the island. In addition to the soldiers, dragons were now landing in front of them, forming a large circle around the clearing. The Night Furies took up post in a line in front of the stage. Lastly, the Bewilderbeast sat just off the stage to Hiccup's left, his intimidating stare threatening all those who might otherwise wish to oppose Grimmel. Toothless could give the uncertain dragons the strength to resist the large dragon's control, but he would never risk it if Hiccup's life was in danger.

The young chief noticed the ships sailing towards the island. Heart sinking, Hiccup realized these must be representatives from the other villages. Had all of his work really been for nothing? Was Grimmel right that fear and violence were the rulers of human nature and could not be changed? His gaze fell to Toothless, and he knew he had to do everything he could to protect him and the other dragons. He needed to look for the first opportunity to strike. Even if that ultimately got  killed, at least then there would be no reason for Toothless to hold back. He would be safe.

Then he spotted something more encouraging: dragons leading the way for several Berkian ships. As they grew closer, he spotted his riders on some of the dragons' backs. From other directions came ships from Outcast Island and Defenders of the Wing Island. Hiccup was sure there were some Wingmaidens mixed in there as well. They had come for him. Now he prayed they had a sufficient strategy to evade Grimmel's plan, whatever it was.

"Your friends know how to follow directions," Grimmel said. "This makes things easy."

Hiccup chose not to respond. Grimmel's soldiers allowed the dragon riders to land in the middle of the clearing. Astrid, Gobber, and Fishlegs dismounted and strode forward with their dragons behind them. The Night Furies growled at them as they stepped up onto stage and got in the way of the dragons to prevent them from following their riders.

Astrid gave Hiccup a relieved look before glaring at Grimmel. "We came just as you asked," she said. "Now let Hiccup go!"

"Certainly," said Grimmel, "after we discuss a resolution to our conflict."

"What kind of resolution do you have in mind?" Fishlegs said uneasily.

"It is simple. You will release all of your dragons to my control. In exchange, I will instruct my armada to leave you in peace. And I will encourage all villages to resume trade with your islands. It is a rather generous offer, if I do say so myself."

"We'll never give up our dragons!" Astrid shouted. She withdrew her axe and took a threatening step forward. "But you will release Hiccup now."

"Astrid, don't do anything rash," Hiccup said. Speaking of rash, were was Dagur or anyone else from Berserker Island?

Grimmel let out a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry you want to do things the hard way. You must know that if you attack me, I will kill your beloved chief."

"And Toothless will kill you," said Gobber.

"Yes, if my dragons do not manage to get to him first. Do you really think he stands a chance against my flock of Night Furies?"

"He doesn't need to fight them," Hiccup said, "just convince them he's right. I do not think that will be too difficult."

"You overestimate your dragon's abilities in the face of the Bewilderbeast."

"Hiccup, we can't risk it," Fishlegs said. "Even if you're right, Grimmel believes he's right. That means he's willing to kill you if we do anything."

Hiccup held in a sigh. "You should have known that from the start. Didn't you come here with a plan?"

Gobber scratched the back of his neck. "Well..."

"We do have a plan," Astrid. "Overwhelming force. I understand what you're saying, Fishlegs, but we don't have any other choice. We have to risk it. I believe we can win!"

Hiccup's eyes widened at her implication. She really was willing to go all out for him, but he could not let her do it. He could not let her risk the safety of everyone for a victory that they had no way of knowing they could win. With a heavy heart, he knew the only solution. "Wait!" He took a deep breath and turned his head so he could see Grimmel. "I am willing to consider your offer."

"What?!" Astrid, Fishlegs, and Gobber exclaimed.

Hiccup gave them an apologetic look. "I'm sorry. I'm chief, and it's my choice to make." He looked to Grimmel. "We'll give up our dragons, but you must give up yours. They will all go to the Hidden World... er, that cave behind us." His friends gasped, and Toothless snarled.

"It seems your dragon does not agree with that plan," said Grimmel.

"Let me talk to him. I can convince him."

Grimmel stared him down for a long moment. Finally, he released him. "Do not try anything, boy."

Toothless grew quiet when Hiccup approached him. The chief wanted to touch him but feared that would irk Grimmel. "I'm sorry, bud. I don't know what else to do. If you're not willing to lead a resistance, Grimmel can coerce us into doing anything he wants. Who knows what kind of destruction he can cause with this many dragons? Going to the Hidden World is the only way to stop him from abusing dragons and controlling people. I know his army can do a lot of damage on its own, but they're limited and don't rely on harming other creatures. I don't want to think about what he would do with you. This is the only way to keep you safe... and it's the only way to keep me safe."

After this last point, Toothless lowered his head in resignation. Hiccup gave him a half-hearted smile. "I wish I could say we can beat the bad guys through the power of our friendship like always, but this time our friendship is the problem. He's using me to force your compliance. Even if we somehow defeat him, news of this successful tactic will spread and there will be others. There will always be people willing to harm you to get what they want."

Hiccup took a deep breath. "Maybe - maybe humans don't deserve dragons. Maybe it would be better for you to go into hiding until the world is ready for you. I promise I will fight for such a world, but right now it is too dangerous. We have to do what is best for dragons, even if it means being apart." Toothless whined softly as Hiccup's vision blurred. "I'm sorry. I have to do this. I have to protect everyone. I have to send you away. And you must lead everyone to safety. It is time for both of us to grow up and look after our own."

"That is a nice sentiment, Hiccup," a voice echoed from behind them, "but that is not your decision to make."

Hiccup looked toward the Hidden World with a gasp. "Eira?"

***

Eira instructed Luna to stop flying when she heard Hiccup speaking at the mouth of the cave. Drago hovered beside her, and they both listened. Finally, she had heard enough, she decided it was time for them to make their entrance. She flew out of there after speaking, and her companion followed.

While Luna hovered just outside the entrance, Eira took in the scene. Grimmel's men and dragons surrounded Berk and their allies. If a fight erupted now, Berk may be trapped. Grimmel stood dangerous close to Hiccup, who stood near Toothless.  In front of them were Astrid, Gobber, and Fishlegs. All six appeared shocked at their entrance. Luna called out to Toothless, who responded in kind.

"Drago?" Hiccup said. "And Shattermaster? What's going on?"

"We're here to rescue you!" Drago growled. He paused. "This was the only dragon available." Duskscales cried out and leapt onto the stage, but two bigger Night Furies blocked her path. Drago narrowed his eyes at Grimmel. "What kind of trickery are you engaged in?"

"None at all," said Grimmel, who did not seem phased by the presence of the intruders. "They simply realized their best interests lie with me."

"No, they realize the Bewilderbeast will only control them if they act against you," Hiccup said.

Drago finally set his eyes on the giant dragon. "Well then, we'll have to fix that now, won't we?" He pat Shattermaster's side. "Come on, dragon."

"What do you think you're doing?" Grimmel said as he flew over to the Bewilderbeast.

"Just offering him a change in perspective!"

"No, don't irk him!" Astrid exclaimed.

"Try all you wish," Grimmel said nonchalantly. "It will not make a difference. You could not beat me before, and you will not do so now."

"I will win this time because I'm on the right side," Drago said. Shattermaster hovered in front of the Bewilderbeast, who eyed the man with disdain. "And I'm not alone."

"What are you-" Grimmel narrowed his eyes when Dagur and Viggo flew out of the Hidden World.

"Never fear!" Dagur exclaimed. "We are here!"

"What do you imbeciles think you are going to do?" Grimmel moved slightly away from Hiccup towards the Bewilderbeast.

"Just watch us!" The newcomers flew on either side of Drago.

"Hiccup, you have to listen to me," Eira said in a low voice, taking the opportunity to converse while Grimmel was distracted. She had to speak louder than she wished, but she did not want to risk moving closer to him. "You can't send the dragons to the Hidden World. There is another way we can win."

"Eira, I told you we can handle this," Astrid said in a firm tone.

Eira gave her an exasperated look. "Your plan hasn't worked, has it? It's time to try mine."

"Astrid, let her talk," Hiccup said. He glanced back at Grimmel before looking at Eira. "You better make it quick."

Eira took a deep breath in preparation. "You don't have any right to send all of the dragons away; that is something they should decide for themselves. Even if you could somehow know what was best for them, they still have a right to choose. And you're wrong about what they need. This isn't about whether humans deserve dragons or not. Haven't you learned that there are good and bad dragons just like there are good and bad people? Dragons terrorize other dragons just as humans terrorize each other. If humans and dragons learn to work together, that is proof that both sides can also live in peace with their own species. I think that is what threatens Grimmel the most. His problem is that he wants control, and if you force the dragons to leave against their will, you're using coercion for your preferred outcome, making you just as bad as him."

Hiccup nodded slowly, pain showing in his eyes. "I get that, Eira, I really do. But what other choice do I have? Grimmel wants to force Toothless to control our dragons."

"If that happens, it's Grimmel's fault, but if you willingly concede, the responsibility falls on you. And there is no need to be so hasty. Sending the dragons away is a permanent solution. As long as there are Vikings who love dragons, there will be a way to free them."

"How long are we supposed to wait?"

Eira smiled. "Not long at all. Have faith in those you've taught. Aren't you wondering how we got here undetected? That cave Vidar was protecting on Torleif Island leads to the Hidden World." She implored him to understand with her eyes, not wanting to give away their plan.

Hiccup gazed at Toothless, who growled lightly. After a long moment, he dipped his head. "Alright. I trust you. I will fight for what is right."

"And so will I," Astrid said. "I'm sorry for doubting you, Eira."

"We tried to stop her," Fishlegs said.

"That's not how I remember it going down," said Gobber.

Eira smiled at each of them. "Thank you, everyone. I can't say too much, but follow your instincts and look for open opportunities." She glanced at Hiccup. "Get ready." First order was business was making sure he was safe, which would free Toothless. Then the real fight would begin.

"Enough of this!" Grimmel growled, finally turning back to Hiccup. "We were making a deal."

Hiccup narrowed his eyes at him. "The deal is off. You will release all the dragons from your control and stop terrorizing the other villages."

"You think you can make demands of me? I have the power!" Grimmel turned to the Bewilderbeast, who was still staring down the three intruders. "Control their dragons now! They have refused my generous offer, and I do not need their help to get what I want."

Eira turned to Toothless. "You have to help the dragons resist, Toothless. I know Grimmel will threaten to kill Hiccup, but you have to trust us." Luna growled in agreement. Toothless hesitated, appearing torn. The Bewilderbeast let out a thunderous roar, and the surrounding dragons started to get a glaze look. Even Luna shook her head back and forth as she struggled.

"She's right," Hiccup said. "If Grimmel doesn't kill me, one of these dragons will. You have to risk it!"

"Whoa!" Eira held on tightly as Luna began to try to shake her off her back. She did not know if they had a strong enough bond for her to break through the control. Their friends in the sky had similar problems. The, suddenly, Toothless glowed alpha blue and roared. Luna calmed down, and when she stopped moving, her eyes returned to normal.

Hiccup grinned at them. "Great job, Toothless!"

"No!" Grimmel exclaimed. "You will not resist. Dragons, attack!" The Night Furies, Death Grippers, and other Northern Alliance allied dragons leapt into the air and aimed at the riders' dragons. "Oh, and get the boy too." One Death Gripper seemed to take this suggestion to heart, but before he could strike, he was blasted by a dragon emerging from the Hidden World.

"I don't think so," Krogan said while Ruby growled. Beside him flew Reidun and Vidar, and behind them emerged many more riders.

"What?! You will never win!"

"Come on, Astrid," Dagur said, flying down beside her. "It's time to fight!"

Astrid nodded before hopping onto Stormfly. "I'm on it!"

Eira, however, kept her eyes trained on Grimmel. When she saw him advance on Hiccup with a raised dagger, she alerted Luna. "Look out!" Hiccup turned too late, and Toothless was aiming at another Death Gripper  closing in on his partner. Eira kept her body pressed close against the Light Fury as she leapt forward. The white dragon scooped up Hiccup with her limbs as she landed, enclosing him safely inside against her belly. At the same time, she spread her wings, and Grimmel's dagger bounced off her scales.

Eira jumped to the ground with her axe raised. After shooting the Death Gripper, Toothless joined her, snarling at their adversary. For the first time, Grimmel looked afraid. Before Eira could corner him, he grabbed onto the talons of a passing Death Gripper, who flew him away. She decided to let him go for now and turned to Luna. "Great job!"

The Light Fury uncurled herself, releasing Hiccup. The chief looked at her with wide eyes. "Wow, thank you!" He turned to Eira. "You really did manage to train her."

Eira smiled. "Toothless helped."

The Night Fury pushed past he rand nuzzled into Hiccup's chest. Hiccup laughed as he rubbed his head. "Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry; I won't let anyone separate us again, including myself." Toothless grunted in satisfaction. Hiccup climbed onto his back and then looked to Eira with a determined expression. "It seems like the fighting began while we were distracted. Shall we join them? There also may be more dragons we need to free."

Eira nodded and returned to Luna's back. "It would be our honor." Luna let out a battle roar, and Toothless with one of his own.

***

A/N: Are you ready for the final chapter?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 23 5
Hiccup had won the honor of killing an agressive Monstrous Nightmare. Since, he wouldn't kill a dragon, his only option: To run away and leave Berk f...
23.5K 1.1K 17
OneArtsyGamer03 here, lovelies... Republishing of "How to Fight for Your Dragon" :) ... Ah, Berk. The seasons are mostly cold, the people are a bit...
24.6K 315 21
It has been nearly three years, Dagur has been sent behind bars. The gang is all finding their roles back at Berk, and peace is restored once again...
76.5K 2.5K 61
The vikings of Torvald have always been friendly with dragons, and when they learn Berk has also accepted dragons, they send Princess Eira and her Wi...