Unguarded Love

By daywrites9

Persephone Porter just so happens to be Asa Brookes partner on a project, oh, and the coaches daughter. Those... More

Aesthetics/Authors Note
1-Class Interrupted
2-Dinner Disaster
3-Percy
4-Timeslot
5-Phoenix
6-Hey Neighbor
8-Books
9-Mamma Foster
10-After Party
11-Brendan Gack
12-A Club? I'm In
13-Oh Sh*t It's Our Song
14-A Project With My Quarterback?
15-Times Are Crazy
16-The Accident
17-Career Ending
18-He's Quite The Looker
19-Thanks For Throwing Me Under The Bus Janet
20-Spin It Percy
21-Jealous
22-Clearing The Air
23-Locked In
24-Tiny Terrors
25-Peyton And Phoenix
26-Sleep Over?
27-Dog Fight
28-Introducing My Dad To My Boyfriend
29-Escape Room
30-Rocked My World
31-I'm Happy
32-Miss. Porter Looks Funny
33-Sibling Bonding
34-An Apartment
35-The Girls And Phoenix
36-Laundry Day
37-Cheers To Love
38-Wedding Bells
39-Lovin' On You
40-You're Just Like Your Father
41-Coward
42-I Do Love Her
43-I'm An Idiot
44-Gutter Ball
45-Everything Changes

7-On The Ice

11.1K 202 45
By daywrites9

Persephone 

Today is my first day as a student teacher. Whoop whoop, someone pop the champagne.

I decided to actually dress nice for my first day. That just means I wore something teacher friendly. 

I put on a green and white short sleeve sundress and my white van slip ons. 

Heck I even curled my hair and applied mascara. My hair was also in a ponytail and all the wisps had been gelled back. 

From what my advisor told me I'll be doing classes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the next three months. 

"Have fun and watch out for ankle biters." Peyton jokingly says as I leave the dorm. 

I ordered an über to take me to the elementary school. 

* * * 

"Hi you must be Seph, I'm Kelly Cartwright." The raven haired woman says as I enter her class. 

The room was filled with different posters and decorations and it smelt like crayons. 

We shake hands. Oooh look at me being all professional.

"The kids will be here soon. Today I want you to more or less shadow me, watch how I run things. Now I know everyone has a different teaching style and it might take a while for you to find what works best for you and your students...."

She goes on about how she sets up the beginning of class and I listen closely. 

About a half an hour later the kids begin to trickle in as their parents drop them off. 

They take a seat at their assigned tables. Each of them know where to sit based on the colored square on the corner of their desk. 

I guess it matched the cubbies they put their backpacks in. Kind of a interesting idea, I am so stealing it for my own future classroom. 

Once everyone is here Kelly starts class. 

"Ok class I have some fun and exciting news. We have another teacher joining us today, say hello to Miss. Porter." She says and all the students shout 'Hi' to me. 

It was the most adorable thing ever. I don't know why people hate working with kids, they're so cute. 

Then I watch a kid sneeze and wipe the snot on his leg and I remember why.

Kelly hands me papers to pass out and I make sure to keep a good distance from me and the snot kid. 

"Ok so today we are starting the class with a fun exercise. I want you from memory to write out the alphabet."

All of the little first grades get to work on writing out the alphabet. 

"Mrs. Cartwright what comes after Q?" A little boy asks from the blue table. 

She smiles, "Good question Cory, how about we all sing the alphabet together and when we get to Q we can try from there to see what comes next."

Everyone sings the alphabet and she stops once we go from Q to R.

Cory, a little red headed boy thanks her before writing the answer down. 

After they all finish writing out the alphabet - or best they can -  Kelly writes the word 'Cat' on the board. 

"Ok so now we have Cat, can anyone tell me a word that rhymes with cat?"

A curly headed girl with thick rimmed glasses raises her hand. 

"Go ahead Mari."

She smiles and I see she's missing a front tooth. 

"Bat."

"Good job." Kelly says before writing it on the board. "Anyone have another word?"

"mat." A boy calls from the back. 

Kelly writes it down, "Correct but remember to raise our hand next time Tyler."

This goes on for a while before we switch up activities.

At one point I am helping a girl draw different shapes when Tyler points to my scarred knee. 

"What happened to your knee it looks funny with the lines."

I look down to the criss cross jagged scars on my knee. Not only from the accident but from the surgery to repair the damage. 

Usually I stick to pants so I don't have to relive what happened every time someone notices. Still if someone brings it up I just say a car accident, which is true. 

"Tyler we don't point and make fun of people." Kelly says and he frowns, then he says something that has both Kelly and I gasping. 

"Fuck I'm sorry." He says softly. 

"Tyler we don't say bad words like that." Kelly says and he furrows his tiny brows in confusion .

"Well why not? My mommy says it all the time."

I have to hold in my laughter. 

Kelly sighs, "Well we can't say it in class ok?"

He nods before going back to his work. 

"Sorry about that." She laughs awkwardly and I shrug it off. One thing you can always count on when it comes to kids is they don't have a filter when it comes to the wild stuff that will come out of their mouths. 

After a long day of watching kids learn I can't wait to head back to the dorms. Still, it'll only be for a moment because I have somewhere to be. 

It feels like its been years since I've been on the ice, in real time it's only been two weeks.

Luckily my knee is feeling better so I am doing the two hours, which makes up for missing my time last week. 

Peyton is no where to be found when I open the door which is odd since she said she had nothing to do. 

I expected to find her passed out on the bed, hell, if I weren't headed to the rink that is exactly where I would be too. 

I send her a quick text asking where she is as I change and leave to head to the rink. 

When I get there I say a quick 'hi' to Mary before going and lacing up. She smiles at me and I know she still feels a bit bad about last week but it wasn't her fault. I missed it and she can't bend the rules for me, no matter how much I wish she could. 

Once I finish lacing up I open the door that separates me from home. 

There is something so satisfying about the first step onto the ice. 

The feeling of the blade gliding against the ice. 

My mom was my number one fan when it came to my figure skating. I guess it's almost poetic how I lost her and my career on the same day. 

I get warmed up, doing some practice jumps and turns, before starting the song I have queued. 

Then I get lost in the music as I glide along the ice. 

I may still be able to skate and do some of the tricks I used to but it's not the same. 

I'll never be back to where I was at thirteen. Sure they saved my knee but I no longer have the full motion I used too. 

Not only that but I can't work the hours I would need to compete again. If I tried the injury could flare up again. 

I shake my thoughts off of that as I continue the routine. 

The routine that was supposed to help me secure my spot in the big leagues. Some of the skills are watered down of course but it's the same routine from start to finish

I go through it a few more times trying to perfect some of the moves that are still a little shaky. 

Gosh I miss the feeling of competitions. The little flutter of butterflies in your stomach when they call your name. 

The routine that flows from you effortlessly as the music surrounds you drowning out the crowd.

Time is nonexistent on the ice which is why I don't hear my alarm on my phone coming until it's blaring cutting through the music.  

By the time my two hours are up I am more than exhausted. 

I unlace my skates and put the guards back on before shoving them in my bag. I wave to Mary on my way out knowing she already has me down for next Wednesday. 

Once I am back in the dorms I see Peyton sitting on her bed working on something for one of her classes. 

"Where were you earlier?" I ask her as I peel off my sweatshirt. 

She flits her eyes up to me then back down to her spreadsheet. 

"Uh out." Her pitch is high so I know she is keeping something from me. 

I laugh, "Mhm I know that, but where?"

"At the library." She says a little too quickly. 

"With who?" I can't stop myself from asking. 

What? My best friend is acting sketchy as hell and I want to know what has her all twisted up like this. 

"Alone now let me study." She grumbles and I roll my eyes as I put on a t shirt and get into bed to start my own work. 

I wonder what she's hiding from me. 

____

Edited

A/N I have no idea how the whole student teachers things works so whoops. 

There was no Asa this chapter but don't worry the next chapter is focused completely on their first study time together. 

Also fun fact my first word was 'Fuck' yep I remember it like it was yesterday. Not really but my mom tells the story all the time. 

See the screen on the backdoor of our house had broken and my dad was fixing it. He thought he had gotten the sides of the screen snapped in but he didn't and it fell out. Of course he yelled 'fuck' and I laughed and started screaming the word as loud as I could. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 40.4K 47
He's a legacy at UNI, and he can have any girl he wants. Dylan 'D' Darcy is used to getting what he wants. He has money, status and looks. His famil...
172K 2.3K 50
Saylor moves to Massachusetts for college with a clean slate after a traumatic past. She has all the intentions of starting over, but sometimes thing...
299K 9.4K 38
Book #4 of the "Falling" book series Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #41 in Romance 2023 #10 in Nerdy 2023 #27 in Sexualtension 2023 #25 in Banter 202...
79.8K 4.6K 56
Perrie Lancaster has zero plans after college. No dream job she's working toward, no one to impress, and no care for anything other than making her l...