Brielle

By busyreadding

Brielle Yves is the new girl, except she's not actually new. She's been to Langston before, but only when she... More

a/n
one
two
three
four
five
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
fourty five
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter

six

73.5K 1.4K 3K
By busyreadding

BRIELLE

The wind blows my hair from side to side, getting in my eyes as I stare out into the sea from the edge of the pier.

I didn't even know Connecticut had piers, but seeing as my brother wanted to come to the arcade before going back home, we ended up here.

But the arcade is filled with whiny little kids who get in your personal space, which I'm not dealing with today.

It's not like I don't like kids, they just gross the shit out of me. And freak me out with the whole birth thing.

"How come you're not playing some dance game in there?" A deep voice comes from next to me, scaring me a little.

Looking back into the arcade that's filled with bright red and blue colours, shaking my head before turning back to Grayson next to me.

It was a few days later now, and Grayson has weirdly come back to my house every single day after-school. Staying until late, before trudging out of the house looking like an unhappy shit.

"You think I'd play a dance game?" I ask, using my arm as a prop to hold my head up so I can look at him.

Grayson stares into the sea, the wind lightly blowing his light waves around. But that's until he pulls his hood up.

"Maybe," He shrugs, pushing both hands into his pocket.

Turning back round, I look back out to see, watching waves brake onto the sand and on each other. Some people are swimming, swimming.

In this weather.

"How come you're not freezing?" He asks, looking down at me from his stupidly tall height. His eyes slightly hooded as he watches me.

It's only know, I notice a small bruise under his eye, I swear that wasn't there before? Maybe it's from hockey, seeing as Ben came back with a lump on his head.

Simply from head butting a wall in the changing room.

"England was cold all year around, you get used to it after a while," I answer back, looking into the sea.

Plus this jumper is actually quite thick so I'm not freezing, but just a little cold. But it's fine, it's better than getting attacked by screaming kids.

"Right," Grayson nods, moving his eyes off me and back into the distance.

We fall silent, the sound of waves is the only thing we hear for the next few minutes. It's calming, listening to the sea, I don't know why: it just is.

"What's your favourite colour?" I ask, even though it is pretty obvious. This boy constantly wears black, his phone case is black.

"What's yours?" Grayson counters, completely ignoring my question.

I narrow my eyes at him, "Red or sage green."

I can see him slightly nod from the corner of my eyes, still not making an effort to answer my question.

"Favourite Artist?" I question, trying to make some kind of conversation. But it really isn't working.

Turning on my feet, I lean against the railing to look at him. But again, Grayson doesn't answer me, his eyes just flick down to me before looking out into the distance again.

"You really love answering questions don't you," I mumble sarcastically, watching his lips slightly turn upwards.

"Yep."

Rolling my eyes, I sigh loud enough his eyes linger on me for a split second. Giving me access to see the small black eye.

"How'd you get that?" I ask, pointing to his face, I know it's probably wrong, but I love hearing about my brothers injury stories when he plays hockey.

They're always so dirty.

Grayson's lips turn back down, until their back into their usual shape. Unhappy and grumpy looking, but he looks kind of uncomfortable.

From the way he shifts from one foot to another, leaning back slightly.

He begins to walk backwards, "My favourite artist is Dave." Finally, he answered one of my many, many questions I asked him.

My whole body freezes, as in Dave from the UK. One of the best rappers in England, I love him.

"Wait the one from England?" I shout back, but he's already entering the arcade again. Huffing, I think about all three questions I asked him, and how he only answered one.

I mean surely saying your favourite colour isn't that hard, but maybe he doesn't have one. But I'd doubt that.

Well it is what it is.

~

Three days later, I'm watching Grayson sit himself down on the couch, next to nona who enjoys herself in his 'godly' presence. Just as she's done the past week.

Which is basically how long Grayson has been coming to ours for dinner and staying until like 11pm.

Meanwhile, Ben is doing god knows what in the kitchen- last time I checked he was trying to get alexa to whisper back to him.

I wonder sometimes how he's my twin, but I guess one of us had to be the smart one, aka me.

Even though I can't do maths for shit, but who cares? It's just maths, my future job is not going to involve algebra. To be honest, I don't know any job that uses algebra at all.

"Boo!" Ben jumps up from behind me and I gasp holding my chest. "Stop staring at my friend weirdo."

My cheeks heat up and I spin around on my heels, okay yes maybe I accidentally zoned out looking in the direction of Grayson and nona.

But I wasn't staring, no.

When I brought up the subject of why Grayson is currently at our house everyday, Ben shook his head and waved a hand in my face.

So I just let it be, if he wants me to know he'll tell me right? I'm not going to go interfere in someone else's business.

Especially if he doesn't want people knowing just yet, but from the way him and nona are currently deep in conversation and she has glossy eyes. I'm starting to think I'm the only one who doesn't know.

"Family announcement!" Nona shouts, standing up from the sofa. Using Grayson's shoulder to prop herself up.

The older woman wiggles her eyebrows in my direction when I notice she's currently holding onto the younger brunette below her.

Gross.

"Si," Ben nods and I screw my face up at him. We speak French and Albanian, not Spanish, but whatever.

"Lovely Grayson," Nona goes on, giggling, "Will be staying with us while I take Dielle to Albania."

"What?" Me and Ben both say in unison.

Grayson spins around, sending me a sly smirk before giving nona one of those 'gentlemen' smiles he does when he wants to charm someone.

"I'm taking Dielle back to Albania for a while, you two are old enough to look after yourself," Grayson nods sincerely and I narrow my eyes at him.

"Grayson can take my room," I roll my eyes, of course he can. But I have to warn him, it will smell of piss and old people- not the best.

I always knew my nona liked younger men, she's going on seventy-six and she's crushing on Louis Partridge and now Grayson- whatever his last name is.

"Hell yeah!" Ben cheers, I can already sense what's going through his mind, parties galore.

Back in the uk, Ben got arrested every single time he went to a party by doing some stupid shit while either high or drunk; I'm surprised he didn't go to jail.

"Seriously? Dhe nuk interesoi të na tregonit?" I ask, placing two hands on my hip hoping to look somewhat intimidating; but I know I don't.
(translation- And you didn't care to tell us?"

"It didn't pop up in conversation Brie," Nona scolds waving a finger. "And speak english poor Gray can't understand you."

"Yeah Brie, I can't understand," Grayson mocks earning a glare from me. Which only makes him smirk.

"Good boy," Nona pats his head and I scoff.

"Stay out of it, Gray," I return raising my eyebrows. Nona looks as though she's going to kill me.

"Brielle! That is enough, you treat our guests nicely and with care," She shouts back, sending me a very stern look.

"Brielle, stop being so moody my best friend is living with us! The game is afoot!" Ben smacks my back making me wheeze slightly.

God how is he so strong?

All that boy does is sit around on his phone, listen to music and dance in the shower- nona told me after she accidentally walked in on him, I had to stop her washing her eyes out with bleach afterwards.

With that, I squint my eyes at the brunette still being patted on the head by nona, and then the older woman with grey hair.

"Good, we've got it sorted," Nona smiles as I spin again heading into the kitchen.

God this is going to be a nightmare.

~~~

This is a bad idea, very bad idea. But I've only just fucking worked that out now. Obviously, exactly when I'm right outside some random building Grayson just went inside.

It's not my fault, for the past week he's been going out in the evenings. Waking me up. Which was fucking annoying, so I followed him.

And now I'm here, in front of this warehouse place.

Grayson's jeep is parked by the front of this creepy building looking thing. Where I'm currently stood by the big metal doors.

I hesitate before opening the doors, what if he's part of a gang and then they find me and kill me? Or what about if he's in some mafia shit and then they also kill me?

My eyes flick to a poster hung on a window, just left to the door.

It's a band. I think at least, well there's a guitar and drums along with a microphone in the middle.

"Hm," I hum before opening the door, walking inside. Maybe Grayson just likes the band and he's watching them play or something.

Fun times.

A gush of warm air hits my face as I walk inside, quietly shutting the door behind me. I can hear people talking- lots of people talking.

There's no music playing yet. It would be a bad gig if there wasn't any music from the actual band, but whatever suits them I guess.

I was right, there's actually quite a few people inside. All wearing very different clothes to my jeans and knitted sweater.

Now I know why it's so hot in here, girls are stood in small skirts and crop tops in freezing weather. They probably asked to turn all the heaters on so they don't freeze to death; or get 'hypothermia' as Grayson said.

I push my way through the crowd, earning a few looks from a few people, mostly men as I send them fake smiles.

"Want me to take that for you?" A man with dark hair asks as I reach the bar.

He's pointing to my coat and I shrug before pulling it off, it's damn hot in here. If he steals it, it's not the end of the world. But it kind of is, so I'm hoping he doesn't.

The man smiles as I hand him my coat and he disappears hanging it on a rack over the other side. Many other coats and jackets lay along there as well.

"Drink?" The man asks again, and I raise my eyebrows looking at all the different options.

"Don't worry about ID darling, we're all good here," He adds, rubbing two hands together. I nod before pointing towards the malibu.

"Mocktail please," I respond, he sort of frowns before moving on getting me the drink. Probably confused why I declined the 'No ID'  kinda thing.

"So what's your name? Haven't seen you from around here," The man starts as he makes my drink.

I shake my head, "Brielle."

The man freezes mid pour. His eyes flick up to mine as I raise both eyebrows. "What?"

"Like as in that chick that Grayson talks about?" The dark haired man coughs and I screw my face up.

"The one he's living with."

I nod, "Yup that's me, didn't know he talked about me though."

"Only bad things I assure," He grins before shaking up the drink in one of those black tin things- I can never be bothered to learn the names of stuff, it's just alcohol.

"I'm Carlos," The man nods and I smile. He pours the drink into the glass as I fish around my back pockets looking for spare change.

"Don't, it's on the house," I shrug, that was weird.

Placing the thin straw between my lips, sucking in the liquid. My eyes widen as I hear Carlos laugh from behind me.

"Good enough for you?" Carlos chuckles before leaning over the bar.

"Yup," I say, making the p more effective than ever.

This was probably one of the best mocktails I've ever had in my life, I was used to the rushed ones at the british parties where practically anything was thrown in- except those were drowned in alcohol.

"I'm surprised Grayson told you, he never tells anyone about this," Carlos points around the building lit up with several lamps and fairy lights.

I laugh, "Oh no, he didn't."

Carlos's face screws up, "How'd you find us then?"

I stay silent, biting on the straw before letting a small smirk appear on my face. I'm not about to let some guy who knows Grayson know I just followed him.

He'd think I'm a stalker.

"Secretive I like that," Carlos grins and I shake my head at the dark haired boy with almost black eyes.

"Bet you do," I respond before looking around the room, my eyes trying to find a familiar brunette probably making out with one of these girls on a wall somewhere.

As if he can read my mind Carlos speaks up, "If you're looking for him, look up there."

His finger points to a little raised platform in the center of the building, showing a guitar, drum set, another guitar and two microphones.

I screw my eyebrows before laughing slightly, "Pardon?"

"Sweetheart, you didn't think that if you turn up to a band gig the guy your following wouldn't be someone watching right?" Carlos says.

"I'm not following him," I murmur, only to be cut off by the guy with a smirk.

"I'm sure."

"Anyway, your man plays in the band," A hand hits my head before I can answer.

The lights switch on and people cheer as three figures make their way onto the stage.

I tilt my head before turning back to Carlos, "He is not my man."

There's no response.

I turn around to find the once filled space empty, what?

Well that makes me look stupid, like I'm talking to an imaginary ghost or something. I groan as I rub my forehead, god that was embarrassing.

Suddenly a song starts playing from the stage and the lights fully switch on.

My eyebrows practically hit the ceiling as I stare at the three people on the stage.

A practically white haired boy with a beanie stands at the front, holding onto a guitar and a microphone. His green eyes follow around everyone in the crowd as he sends boyish grins to many squealing girls.

My eyes widen as I see the familiar brunette I've been looking for; standing to the left, a guitar hung over his body as he adjusts the microphone in front of him.

A pair of jeans fit his lower half, as a black hoodie covers his top half while the hood is pulled up as light waves fall onto his forehead.

I can make out a small chain hanging from the front of the hoodie, as a ring matches a finger as he pulls the microphone up to his height.

Which by the way, he nearly towers over the guy at the front who's currently telling the crowd something as they cheer.

Grayson's eyes meet mine as I freeze, the straw staying in my mouth. His jaw clenches and I spin around facing the bar again.

My cheeks heat up as my heart beats out of my chest, why am I getting so worked up about this?

Oh because he's just seen you at somewhere you're not supposed to be.

After about two minutes, I turn back around only to find Grayson not standing on the stage anymore. My eyebrows furrow as I tilt my head trying to find him.

My arm is pulled and I gasp, being tugged out the main room and into a small corner.

A body presses against mine, nearly crushing the poor mocktail inbetween us.

"Hey watch the drink!" I whine, pushing the man slightly backwards so I can slide the drink out from the middle of us.

A scent fills my nose and I instantly recognise it, the smell of a very strong cologne, mixed with wood?

Grayson.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He growls, taking a step closer to me, our bodies pushed up against each other.

"Watching a gig," I say unsurely, it's not like I was actually going to say 'I followed you here in my car'.

Grayson takes a deep breath holding his nose, "Brielle, let me ask you again. Why the fuck are you here?"

I roll my eyes, "What, I can't watch a gig?"

"Tell me about the band then," He starts crossing two arms across his chest.

"Uh, they're a band," I nod sarcastically before sucking on the straw.

"For fuck sake Brielle," Grayson grumbles, hitting his head on the wall behind me.

My eyebrows furrow as I stare at him, taking another drink.

"Stop fucking drinking that," He orders and I scoff throwing my hand on his chest.

"Firstly, do not tell me what to do. And secondly dipshit, I can do what I want and if that's watching a band play it is." I return in the harshest way possible.

"It's alcohol," Grayson groans, rubbing his eyes, which only make my eyebrows furrow.

But it's not.

"There's a bunch of horny teenagers in here, and you getting drunk is like a puppy to them. They would be attracted to you in a second Brielle, it's dangerous."

My eyebrows raise, "Awh you care." But I only put the straw back in my mouth, watching his face turn into a scowl.

"Besides it's a mocktail, there's no alcohol in this," I shrug, watching his face relax slightly. But he looks like he almost doesn't believe me.

"You don't drink alcohol?" Grayson asks, narrowing his eyes at me, and then the drink in my hand.

My answer is quick and short, simply so I don't have to go into any detail.

"No."

"Anyhow, so you're in a band," A smirk fills my mouth, but Grayson only scowls at me again- forgetting the whole alcohol thing.

"We're leaving," He snaps, grabbing ahold of my free arm and dragging me out of the small corner.

His large hand takes my drink out of my hand before placing it on the bar. I make a sound but he only glares at me before pulling me out of the building.

"What the fuck? Grayson?!" I shout when he pulls me outside. "My coat."

His jaw clenches again, "Fucking stay here."

With that, he disappears into the metal building again and comes out only a minute later holding my coat.

He holds out it out for me, opening the arm holes so I can slide my arms inside.

"What a gentlemen," I mumble before grabbing the coat from his grip and putting it on myself.

Grayson chuckles before pulling his hood up again, crossing his arms across his chest. The small chain falling from the front of his hoodie.

"You're going to miss your gig," I break the silence, pointing towards the building again.

"I don't fucking care, they can do it without me," He returns, looking me up and down.

"What a shame! I wanted to see you strut your stuff," I laugh as an unamused look flashes across his face.

He doesn't appreciate my jokes as much as he should have, dickhead.

We both stay silent, as he looks anywhere but me as he rocks on his heels every now and then.

Maybe it was a bad idea following Grayson tonight seeing as he's just gone and thrown a whole tantrum after I show up.

What's wrong with me showing up? Besides I didn't even know it was his band- or a band at all.

"So," I trail out, pulling my lips into a straight line as his eyes snap to me. "Your band huh?"

"Yup," He replies, making the p sound very loud as I nod slowly.

"Cool," Who the fuck says cool?

"Yup," He says again and I roll my eyes, so much for talking Grayson.

"Go home Brielle," Grayson sighs and I screw my face up.

"Please."

This time I sigh before shrugging, "Fine, but it's two am so if you think I'm going to school tomorrow you can kiss my ass."

His face lights up for the first time this evening, amusement glistens through his eyes.

"Oh fuck off, as if," I shove a hand his way as he chuckles lightly.

"But seriously, you can call the school and say I'm not going in cause I am sleeping in," I announce before walking back to my car.

Grayson watches as I jump inside, starting the car. I drive about two inches before stopping and doing the window down.

"I don't know the way home."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70 0 6
After experiencing the ultimate tragedy, Grace finds herself uprooted from her familiar surroundings and forced to move across the country to live wi...
204K 4.9K 25
*fast paced book* Lilac Leilani: An innocent and sweet girl who loves everyone and has a dark past wishes to see the outside world. Kaiden Nightingal...
13.1K 1.3K 44
What could possibly go wrong when a demon who enjoys following the rules and an angel intent on breaking them get assigned to the same human? They en...