The price of a mile (Second s...

By KennyMichels

May 12 1943 the attack on Kasserine Pass in Africa by the Axis has commenced. The men of war from Germany's w... More

Chapter 1- Test your metal
Chapter 2~ The metal horses
Chapter 3~ Evening the odds
Chapter ~ 4 Ally counter offensive
Chapter 5~ For whom the bell tolls
Chapter 6 - Raining fire
Chapter 7- First step into Hell
Chapter 8 ~ Men of war
Chapter 9 - Goodbye my Mina
Chapter 11 - Air raid
Chapter 12 - Italian shores we near
Chapter 13- Order of the Iron Cross
Chapter 14- Homeward bound
Chapter 15- Nightmares
Chapter 16 - Operation Husky
Chapter 17 - Into the breach!!
Chapter 18 - British Marines
Chapter 19- Over the hills and far away
Chapter 20- Centuripe
Chapter 21- There's no rest for the wicked
Chapter 22- Day one
Chapter 23 - Day Two
Chapter 24- Day three
Chapter 25 - Surrounded
Chapter 26- Sabateurs
Chapter 27- Run
Chapter 28- Once more into battle
Chapter 29-W.I.A.
Chapter 30- Epilouge

Chapter 10~ Sandstorm

154 14 5
By KennyMichels

In the escalating fight for the square and the mayors building where it marks the middle of town. The German casualties have been catastrophic but steady unlike the Commonwealth, and American forces that suffered heavily since the beginning of the counter attack a few days ago.

Looking up seeing a surge of power moving forward with sand being shot up the officer shouts out "Sandstorms coming from the North!"

Looking from the wounded to the krankenwagons, trucks, and halftracks Karl watches them being loaded up, and there Karl makes his decision.

"Begin pulling the men back, the 3 lines are to be kept until the last of the wounded are taken away" Karl says to the Company Officer. A grumpy old looking bugger at the rank of Captain that salutes and moves off quickly to spread the word.

"All lines are to pop smoke on the order, they're going to have to run like hell here to the trucks once they do so, make sure they're aware of that." Karl says to the Sergeant Major who then nods saluting and quickly heads offs to carry out his order of this retreat.

Taking some fire from the infantry Karl curses and ducks into cover holding his Lugar tightly then be crouches up returning fire. Keeping a soldiers head down as he does so before a shout arises from the back and Karl turns quickly to look back.

"Last of the wounded left on the Krankenwagon, we can begin withdrawing in 3 minutes herr!" The shout comes from the back not able to tell who it was from that it came.

Looking back to the main fight Karl inhales deeply with a anxious sigh of relief then he begins "Pull the flanks, all survivors are to merge in the middle here. Then we'll make our escape in the cover of the approaching sandstorm." Karl says sending another NCO on his way to pass word of the retreat.

A loud whistle quickly follows shrieking long and loud and quickly enough across the lines of the defense, whistles are blown for the communication part and. Karl can see more and more soldiers appear heading to the fall back point under gun fire as smoke has been popped for their retreat. An estimated 112 remaining survivors and wounded make their way quickly and a shriek erupts crashing into one of the final defenses.

"Los geh soldatens los!" Karl yells over the roar of gun fire and more fully loaded trucks are finally getting away. With 10 minutes passing the sandstorm has gotten nearer and it's nearly on top of them. There's a loud rumble of a Matilda as troops are advancing behind it using it for cover.

Panzerfaust scream and screech flashing from the remaining defense but it bounces off the armor of the tank or not hitting hard enough to do damage. Suddenly and without warning a terrifying boom sounds. Dust kicking up from the shock of the loud thundering roar of a Tigers main armament that was unleashed.

The A.P.H.E. shell shrieks forward slamming into the lower mantle of the Matilda annihilating the crew and tank nearly punching a hole through the metal beast but the engine stops the shell.

"Gunner load a H.E. shell and fire!!" Markus roars over the deafening sound of explosions and dense gun fire. Along with the loud rattling of the Mg42 that's in the front gun port of the tank. Markus's crew has survived the counter offensive 2 days ago that went from the near end of the other side of the pass to the crossroads of the pass yesterday.

The port mounted MG sitting next to the driver in the front yells and curses profanities to the Englishmen outside their tank. As he squeezes the trigger having the Mg42 blaze away spitting led down range mowing down the surprised infantrymen not quick enough to find cover.

Karls voice sounds in the headset of Markus's communicators headset and then his as it's static at first then a voice comes through.

"Achtung, Achtung panzer. Dass ist Maj Kriesser of the final sector defense here, your orders come as followed. Pull into the square and pull back to us, we're pulling out and we need the covering support so they don't over run us as we pull out! Acknowledge over?"

"Jawhol, meine menschen und Rotter Rot will cover you! Over and out herr!" Markus says giving the order to the driver and he nods pushing the levers forward and the mighty beast lurches forward into the square coming under fire. Bullets are pinging everywhere and even the bazookas that are fired down range at them are barely even enough to make the metal horse, Markus and his crew that are riding in to flinch from the ordinance fired at them.

"50 yards bazooka crew, H.E. shell. Fire!" Markus yells watching the turret move over then aiming the tank fires and the shock blast rattles the hull shaking the crew inside. As the shell that was fired shrieks forward with a loud boom slamming into the building slaughtering the men inside and out on the streets that's within the blast radius. From there blood has leapt up in a fury of a explosive movement painting the walls and streets with gore and blood.

The Tiger tank or named by the crew as Ritter Rot (Red Knight) has reached the German defense after pulling into the square and backing up. Luckily for them the remaining men are finally loaded on as the Tiger kept everyones focus on the lumbering beast instead of the infantry.

The sandstorm has struck and finally the remaining Germans had made their way to the regroupment point 10 miles East towards the shore. Including Kristian and the platoon of Panzer Grenadiers have made it in time into the last truck as well.

**

Few minutes earlier

"Nein!!!" Ben yells quickly stepping forward but a rifle is leveled at him stops Ben in his tracks as Phillip swings and the German he targeted ducks and springs back up. In a series of quick jabs to the stomach and jaw the German beats up on Phillip before he finishes him bringing all his weight up as he bends down. Springing upwards the German uppercuts Phillip with all his might sending him crashing to the sandy floor blood slipping down his lips from the beating.

Before the German has a chance to kill Phillip with his drawn knife a whistle down the road blares and as Ben noticed. All the Germans here stopped what they where doing freezing as more whistles sound. After they glance at each other a soldier steps up helping Kristian to his feet and they leave quickly making their way down the road to the calls of the whistles.

**

Karl climbs into a buschwagon and a officer quickly puts the pedal to the medal following the tail lights of the convoy with Markus and his crew bring up the rear.

Back in town Ben is holding his wounded side and he makes his way over to Phillip that's lying unconscious on the ground. Fearing the worse but to double check he presses his fingers to Phillips neck searching for a heartbeat. Feeling for what he was after he sighs in relief and quickly he looks up hearing voices down the street.

The fellows with these accents are of Australian and quickly Ben calls out "I need help over here, Gerry got my squad leader. This is Corporal Ben Wellington." He says yelling down the street.

Confirming his suspicion the lot that quickly comes along are within the Desert rats of the Commonwealth force and there. A Lieutenant approaches with 8 of his subordinates in toe alert and on the ready just incase of another ambush that happened to them.

Ben looking up at the approaching men he waves and calls out "Germans knocked him out, we got into a scrap sir," he says standing up to salute.

Returning the salute and quickly taking a judgmental glance at him he speaks up"Gerries pulling out lad, that's the good thing. We'll help you and your mate here back to the field hospital and in return you help us look for wounded and collect the dead." The officer says as Ben agrees with a nod and he moves over to help him lift Phillip up.

Later in the morning light with the sandstorm slowly fading away after 3 hours of looking and retrieving most of the bodies that are lying dead have been recovered and the wounded. Have been brought back to the field hospital as well where they're currently being treated and where Phillip is with a minor jaw fracture.

Briskly walking a Major has been taking in the numbers of the dead and wounded making a estimate in the end and with that in mind he enters the commanding officers building 'office'. Heading up stairs past other high ranking officials the major knocks on the old wooden door leading into the makeshift office of the Brigadier General in charge of this half of the army.

With permission to enter the major turns the handle and walks in closing the door behind him then he salutes. Looking up the grumpy old looking Brig Gen nods saying "At ease Major."

With a tiresome sigh he looks up at the Major and nods. Standing the Major begins looking down at his clipboard.

"Alright sir, I got the death count if you want to hear it" He says watching and waiting until the General nods leaning forward in his chair to listen.

"Estimated casualties of 10,000 from her majesties army, along with 6,500 American lives where lost including 183 tanks sir. They may have retreated back, but they won this fight.... Estimated enemy losses are at 2,000 with 34 confirmed tank kills." The major says reading off the numbers of his clipboard then he stands at eased waiting for the Brig Gen to say or do something.

"2 miles worth in the Grand Dorsal chain and the Germans fought for every square inch of this hell hole, Mike. But at the price of a mile we lost that much?.... This was catastrophic from the beginning but now this was more like man slaughter on a large scale...." He says shaking his head in disbelief.

"With the successful counter attack, I'm sad to admit it. We've pushed Rommel and his boys to the shores, they're most likely going to pull out by sea and try to flee to Sicily." The middle aged man says mapping out the impending attack route with a pencil to the border where the last major sea port sits just south of Sicily.

**

That's the end of the chapter ladies and gents, hope you enjoyed it!:)

If you enjoyed this chapter don't forget to bayonet that vote button!

Thank you for those who've voted and commented, thank you as well silent readers who've read my book so far means a lot:)
A.P.H.E. ~ Armor piercing high explosive shell

H.E.- High explosive

Stay tuned for the next update coming up on Wednesday

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265K 14.5K 53
A star-faring religious cult has created an army of robotic zealots designed to follow holy scripture. As the robotic menace spreads across the galax...
720K 8.3K 5
Cass doesn't understand why people think she is crazy. She leads a normal life. As normal as it could be while dating a gang leader, that is. Enters...
1.2M 70.9K 39
This is Book 3 in the Light as a Feather series. Book 1: Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board (available on Amazon & iTunes) Book 2: Light as a Feath...
3.2M 106K 34
This is the sequel to Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board, the first book in the Weeping Willow High School series.