Under The Mask ๐ŸŽญ (a Miraculo...

By lazywriter8

Cat Noir squeezes her hand. "Please... I need you to stay." A tear sneaks down Marinette's cheek. "Kitty, th... More

Prologue
-1- Each Other's Company
-2- Sweet Irony
-3- Bookworm
-4- Curiosity Killed The Cat
-5- Realization
-6- The Cat's Meow
-7- A Baking Disaster
-8- Art Galleries and Jealousy
-9- Paris at Night
-10- More Than A Friend
-11- Late Night Calls
-12- Daddy's Approval
-13- Secret Gifts and Fashion Shows
-14- Detective Plagg
-15- Evillustrator 2
-16- Cat's Intuition
-17- Seventeen
-18- A Close Cataclysm
-19- Blue Eyed Nightmares
-20- Kissing The Wrong Lips
-21- Double Sided Confessions
-22- Lila
-23- Looks Can Be Deceiving
-24- Patrol With a Bug & Cat
-25- Voicemail
-27- Just Friends
-28- Ladybug's Mistake
-29- Parting Ways
-30- Plagg, Claws In
-31- The Reveal
-32- Playing Mom and Dad
-33- London Boy
-34- Switch and Bait
-35- The Butterfly Lair
-36- Kagami's Instinct
-37- Through The Looking Glass
-38- Loyalty
-39- Sudden Fists
-40- Caught and Captured
-41- Family Ties
-42- Dark Wings Fall
-43- Hero's Day Gala
Epilogue- Emelie's Garden
Other Stories
Author's Note
100k

-26- Exposed

1.5K 47 45
By lazywriter8

The Next Morning

Marinette walks alone to school, dragging her feet on the sidewalk. She didn't want to face Adrien after leaving that voicemail for him last night. He never got back to her, and she's quick to assume he ignored it and wants nothing more to do with her. "What if Adrien hates me, Tikki?" The sad girl wonders out loud.

"Adrien doesn't hate you," The kwami reassures her for the fifth time that morning.

"But what if he does?"

"He doesn't, Marinette."

"But—"

Tikki raises her voice and shouts, "HE DOESN'T HATE YOU!" The two blink at each other and the kwami hides in shame. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you."

Marinette reaches in her purse and pats her on the head. "It's okay. We all shout sometimes. I'm just really nervous."

"About what?"

"I don't want Adrien and I to stop being friends." She frowns and adds, "But I also don't want him to get the wrong idea."

"What wrong idea?"

Marinette looks down at the kwami. "That we're getting back together, or might."

"Even if Adrien wants to?"

She shakes her head. "Trust me, he doesn't."

Tikki rolls her eyes. She ducks and hides in the purse.

Eyes still glued to the sidewalk, Marinette runs straight into Adrien's back, causing them both to fall on the ground. She lands on top of him as their bags' contents spill out. They stare at each other with wide eyes, their pounding hearts beating in sync.

"S-Sorry, Adrien," She whispers, embarrassed.

He shakes his head. "No, it's my fault, Marinette."

Marinette climbs off of Adrien and they sit side by side, sharing a sad smile, and laugh. They start gathering their papers and textbooks. She looks at the model, desperate to say something, but she doesn't know how to start the conversation. "Umm... it's been a while since we've talked. In person, you know. How are you doing, Adrien?"

Adrien opens his mouth to speak and pauses. He didn't know how to answer that question honestly. "I've been better," He admits.

"I'm sorry."

"I got your voicemail," He suddenly adds, helping her stand. "Last night."

Her eyes widen. "Oh, r-really? You heard it?"

Adrien nods. "I'm not mad at you for believing Lila. That picture was pretty convincing on its own. I'm just glad you believe me now." He grabs her hand. "Maybe we could—"

"Adrien..." Marinette pulls her hand free. "I'm glad you're not a backstabbing, cheating, jerk-bag, but you deserve someone better than me. I really want us to be friends, though, if that's okay with you."

"I can do that." He shakes her hand. "Good morning, friend." Any excuse to hold her hand.

She smiles and shakes back. "Good morning, friend. See? We're good at this already." She stares at his hand and notices he hasn't let go yet. "Uh, you can let go of my hand now."

Adrien blushes. "Oh? Sorry."

They walk into school together. Everyone starts glaring at the model, whispering to each other, and that's when Marinette remembers that because of the cheating drama, all his friends turned their backs on him.

"I forgot something in my locker," Adrien whispers with a sad frown and he walks off.

"Adrien!" Marinette calls, but he ignores her.

"Was that Adrien you were talking to?" Alya asks, giving a disgusted look in his direction.

"Yeah," She answers, shrugging. "So?"

Nino's eyes widen. "Dude!"

"Why are you talking to Adrien?"

"Because we're friends?"

Alya laughs. "They must have changed the definition for friends because I didn't know boys who cheat on you and lie about it could still be your friend, Marinette!"

"Adrien didn't cheat on me!" Marinette grabs their arms and drags them to the side of the gym, away from everyone. "Remember when I asked you to tell me everything you remembered about Adrien and Lila kissing?"

She nods. "Yeah, what's your point?"

"You said that 'Adrien' had said he broke up with me, but Adrien never did! It wasn't him!"

Nino raises an eyebrow at her. "If it wasn't Adrien, then who—"

"Felix!" Alya growls, angry.

Marinette nods. "Exactly! It was Felix!"

"Oh, those two jerk-bags!"

"Because of that picture, all of Adrien's friends turned against him." Marinette frowns. "We need to prove Lila lied."

Nino snickers. "Good luck with that."

"I actually have a plan." She looks at Alya. "Got your phone charged?"

The reporter smiles. "Always, girl."

In the locker room, Adrien sits on the bench, shoulders slouched, and frowns. "All my friends hate me, Plagg," He whispers to his jacket. "They think I'm a jerk."

The kwami offers reassurance. "No, they don't."

Max and Kim walk out of the bathroom. They notice the model sitting. "Well, look who we have here, Max! It's Adrien the jerk Agreste!" They chuckle as they leave the locker room.

Adrien glares at his kwami.

"Okay, that was just bad timing," Plagg mutters.

He rolls his eyes.

"Ignore them, Adrien! They're not your true friends if they would turn on you like that. Besides, Marinette's still your friend."

Adrien smiles at the mention of her name. "Mari..."

Plagg groans in disgust.

***

Marinette stands at the sink in the bathroom and washes her hands. The door opens and Lila walks in. She looks over and frowns. "What do you want, Lila?"

"I saw you looking so sad yesterday in class, so I wanted to check on you," Lila explains, walking closer to her classmate. "How are you and Adrien?"

"You know how Adrien and I are, Lila," The girl spits back, grabbing a paper towel to dry her hands. "I don't know how you got Adrien to go along with your plan, but it was cruel."

Lila snickers. "What's cruel is your outfit, Marinette. Aren't you supposed to be a fashion designer?"

"How did you even do it, Lila?" She asks, her eyes glistening with fresh tears. "How did you convince Adrien?"

"Because it wasn't Adrien, Marinette." Lila steps forward and backs her into the wall, leaning in her face. "It was his cousin, Felix." Marinette's eyes widen. "I'm surprised you were dumb enough to fall for it. The entire school fell for it!"

Marinette shakes her head. "They'll find out the truth soon, Lila."

She smirks. "No, they won't. No one will believe you. They haven't believed you, yet, why would they now? Everyone thinks I'm the victim. Besides, with the rumors I've been spreading about Adrien, they'd soon rather cast him out before making the mistake of trusting him again."

Marinette's angry now and steps forward. "What did you say about Adrien?"

She shrugs. "Nothing much, just that Adrien only joined the play to get close to me. He's very manipulative, you know." Her face changes as she pretends to cry. "H-He forced me to kiss him! I didn't want to, I swear!" A smirk grows back on her face. "See you in class, bestie," She parts with a wink before walking out.

Marinette smiles. "Did you get that, Alya?"

Alya steps out of a stall, waving her phone. "Every frame."

They share a fist bump before returning to class. Marinette distracts Miss Bustier as Alya sneaks over to the projector and connects her phone. Adrien walks in, head low, and takes his usual spot.

Nino scoots over to him. "Marinette explained everything, dude, and I'm sorry for being a horrible friend. It wasn't cool. Can you forgive me?"

Adrien smiles, glad t have his best friend back. "Always, dude."

As everyone settles into their seats, Miss Bustier stands at her desk and claps. "Alright, class. Today is our first dress rehearsal for the play, so after school make sure you guys have your costumes—"

"How did you even do it, Lila? How did you convince Adrien?"

"Because it wasn't Adrien, Marinette. It was his cousin, Felix. I'm surprised you were dumb enough to fall for it. The entire school fell for it!"

"They'll find out the truth soon, Lila."

"No, they won't. No one will believe you."

Lila's eyes widen and she jumps out of her seat. "Turn this off! Now!"

Alya shakes her head. "Not a chance, Lila."

"No!" The liar screams, watching as she's exposed in front of her classmates. This wasn't supposed to happen. "T-That video... it's not what it looks like!"

"Wait, so that isn't you admitting to kissing Adrien's cousin to fool everyone, Lila?" Marinette asks, standing up to look at her. "Admitting to spreading rumors about him? Because that's what it looks and sounds like to me."

Lila shakes her head, desperate to keep anyone on her side. "T-They forced me to say all of that! I swear!"

"No one put a gun to your head, Lila," Adrien finally speaks, glaring at her.

"Lila, is this true?" Miss Bustier asks, arms crossed.

Nino points at the screen. "You just saw the proof, teach!"

"UGH!" Lila stomps her foot and grabs her bag as she storms towards the door. "I don't have to take this!" She turns and glares at the pig-tailed girl. "This isn't over, Marinette Dupain-Cheng!"

"Oh my gosh, do you ever shut up?" Chloe shouts, standing up as she rests her arm on the desk, the other on her hip. "No one here even likes you, you second-rate, hand-me-down, prima donna. Your voice is squeaky and annoying. Your orange jacket makes me gag. Your hair is greasy and by the way, bangs are so last season! You have the personality of a wet paper bag and trust me, no one cares who've you met or where you've been, if everything that's come out of your mouth hasn't been a complete lie. Even if I don't like Baker Girl, she's a better person than you'll ever be, whatever your name is."

Lila glares at the blonde. "UGH!" She leaves.

Marinette stares at Chloe with wide eyes. "Wow, that was actually nice."

Chloe rolls her eyes, whipping her ponytail. "Whatever. I can be nice when I want to be." She looks her classmate up and down and groans. "That blazer is so not in anymore. Time for an upgrade, Dupain-Cheng."

"There's the Chloe I know and don't love."

The two share a secret smile before sitting.

The rest of the class comes to the model's side and begins apologizing, asking for forgiveness, and offer gifts, treats, and promised hangouts.

Adrien glances back at Marinette—the only person who mattered right now—and smiles. From the beginning, he only cared if she believed him, and she did, and that was enough. Even if Marinette wanted to stay friends, Adrien could live with that, because being just friends is better than being nothing at all. Besides, she was in love with him before.

It wouldn't be impossible to make her fall in love—again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.2K 1.6K 46
โI've been hiding this from you but... I am actually a rock starโž โSeungmin, it's 2 am, shut upโž She thought she was no one among all those peopl...
75K 1.5K 46
In a world where Ladybug doesn't exist, Chat Noir and the rest of the team are branded as Paris's most wanted criminals. But what will happen when...
609K 37K 101
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
363K 6K 28
During an akuma attack, a strange gas is released. After defeating the akuma, Chat Noir takes Marionette home and they both cannot really remember wh...