cherry flavoured

By thethreemusket3ers

Loneliness is nothing new to Elena Kinsley. She had to grow up pretty quickly when her dad left her to work... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40

7

80.1K 2.1K 1.3K
By thethreemusket3ers

I GET A message from Margot, telling me that herself and Mr Ashford are gonna be late tonight. Parker went out a while ago, so it's just Jack and I. They said I could sleep over in the spare room, or I could wait up and just go home once they're back. To be honest, I'd much rather stay the night. I hate driving in the dark. I only have my clothes from earlier and the clothes i'm wearing right now. Parker's clothes. I absolutely despise not being clean.

"Okay," I clap, standing up from the couch.

Jackson looks up at me, chewing on the straw of his juice box.

"Wanna come on a little trip to my house?" I give him a pleading grin.

He pouts, snuggling down in his paw patrol onesie.

"You can play angry birds on my phone." I hum.

A cheeky grin appears on his face.

"Deal." he jumps up, switching off the TV.

Once Jack gets his shoes and coat on, we get in my car. I don't know if 8 year olds need a booster seat. I don't have one either way, but I doubt I'll be checked at 7pm on a fifteen minute drive.

We pull up to my house not long after. It feels like a shoebox compared to the Ashfords'.

"Welcome to my house, Mr Ashford." I open the passenger seat door for him, helping him down onto the sidewalk.

Jackson looks up at it, smiling.

"I like it." he gives me a nod.

"Thanks, kiddo." I smile back, taking his little hand and leading him to the front door.

The house is dark since I've been out all day. I flip on the lights and we make our way up the stairs.

"Okay, you can... I don't know. I'm just gonna pack a few things." I look around frantically.

I don't remember the last time I slept away from home. Probably when I was around Jackson's age.

I walk over to my closet and pull it open, taking out a pair of jeans for tomorrow and packing them in my backpack.

Moving over to my drawer, I pull out long sleeve shirt, a t-shirt and a cami. I can't help but pack for any weather conditions. Finally, I pack underwear, socks and pyjamas. I shove my makeup bag in along with my skincare. I'm probably, definitely overpacking for a one night stay, but better heavy than... I don't think that's the saying but whatever.

"Elena?"

I turn to Jackson.

"Yeah bud?" I slip my hairbrush down the side and zip it up, not without a little struggle.

"Who's this?" He holds up a picture frame.

My heart aches, my throat catching.

I sit on the bed beside him. "That's my mom."

I take the frame from his hands, stroking the glass. We took this picture on my 11th birthday.

"Where is she?" he looks up at me innocently.

I give him a sad smile. "She got sick. And... she died."

"Oh." he furrows his brows a little.

"Yeah." I put the frame down on my bedside table.

"What about your dad?" he swings his legs a little.

"My dad works away. So I don't see him often." I shrug.

"So you live all alone?" he frowns and I nod.

"Oh." he says again.

"Oh-kay! I'm all packed up. Let's get you home in time for bedtime, kid." I clear my throat, standing up.

The car journey back to the Ashfords' is quiet, and once I park up in the drive, I realise it's because Jackson has fallen asleep. I pull my backpack on, next picking up the sleeping boy and taking all of us in to the house. I manage to get him upstairs and tucked into his little bed.

I find the spare room, which happens to be the room beside Parker's. Lucky me. I unpack my things, which doesn't take long considering, before getting ready for a shower. The fresh heated towels kept in the bathroom are pretty much the highlight of my month. I feel the best I have in days after the shower, and I change into my tank top and bed shorts.

My hair is still damp when I slip into bed. The sheets are crisp and I snuggle down beneath the covers, closing my eyes and letting myself drift off.

What feels like minutes later, I open my eyes. The time on my phone reads 4:27am and I groan, pulling the duvet from my body. The house is completely silent, and pitch black. I try my hardest not to make a sound as I walk out into the hallway and down the stairs. The marble is freezing cold an I begin to wish i'd but my socks back on. Finally, I reach the kitchen. The moon shines in through the window, the light illuminating the room a little.

I take a glass from the cabinet as I walk over to the island, taking the jug of filtered water and pouring some. Sighing, I pick up the glass and bring it to my lips.

"Hey, Kinsley."

I jump, the glass slipping from my hand. It falls to the ground with a loud crash and I gasp, stepping back as the water soaks my feet.

"Shit." I mumble, crouching down and beginning to pick up the glass.

"Let me do it." Parker crouches beside me, taking my hand as I reach down again.

"It's fine." I huff.

"Let me do it." he repeats, and I look up at him.

He takes the glass out of my hands and picks up the rest. I take a couple sheets of newspaper from the counter and hand them to him to wrap the glass with.

"What are you doing down here?" I sit on the barstool, swinging my legs a little.

"I was wondering the same thing." he glances up at me. "Or what you're doing here in general."

"Your parents told me I should stay the night." I explain.

He stands up, towering over me again.

"Oh?" he says.

"Mhm." I jump down from the stool, grabbing a kitchen cloth.

I bend down, wiping the water and attempting to scoop up the tiny remainders of glass on the tiles. When I stand back up, Parker is in my former seat. I throw the cloth in the trash and huff, turning to face him.

"Why do you hate me?" I blurt. I feel like his presence just makes me throw up words at this point.

He looks up at me. "What?"

"I try to be nice, but you shut me down." I tilt my head. "Why do you hate me?"

Parker looks slightly amused. "You're kinda adorable."

"What?" I snap.

"It's also adorable how you think everybody has to like you."

I falter a little. "Ouch."

He lets of a quick breath from his nose. Was that a laugh? I shouldn't have felt as much amusement from that as I did.

"I don't hate you Kinsley." Parker adds as he walks away.

I hate how much better that made me feel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
2.1M 58.6K 34
Gabriella lives a beyond perfect life with her mom, her sister and her boyfriend of two years. She's finally at a place in her life where she is hap...
495K 19.7K 35
A trail of Post-It notes leading her to the golden boy of Providence Prep. A girl who seems to have no other motive than to ruin her life before the...
243 59 13
Walking into school to find pages from your diary posted all over the walls seems like it could only happen in a nightmare. Except one day, this beco...