fly to the time of day//simon...

By stephie177

fly to the time of day: wise to the ways of the world Beatrice "Betty" Blackmore is certainly wise to the way... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one

ten

7.8K 225 0
By stephie177

Mama, Daphne, and I are at court. It is rather boring to just stand around and wait for Her Majesty to arrive. I would much rather be anywhere else, but when you are invited to court you simply cannot say no.

People talk as we walk into the room.

"Is that her?"

"The incomparable who captured the prince's eye."

"A mere wisp of a young lady, and a commoner at that."

"Everyone seems to have quite an opinion," Mama states. "How long do you think it will be before Her Majesty arrives? I may very well faint from hunger." Mama picks up a pastry from the table.

Daphne looks at her in shock. "Mama! We are at court!"

"No one is looking at me, dearest," Mama assures before taking a bite.

"Mama!" I say.

"That's quite delicious," Mama states. She turns to Daphne. "My darling, you seem a little strained. You have been that way

for the past few days."

"I have much on my mind," Daphne tells her.

"You do, indeed," Mama agrees.

The doors to the hall open. "Her Majesty Queen Charlotte and her esteemed nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia."

Mama, Daphne, and I walk towards Her Majesty and the Prince. We all curtsy before them.

"Miss Bridgerton, I find myself in raptures over your acceptance of my invitation to the palace," Prince Friedrich tells her.

"You flatter me, Your Highness," Daphne says.

"I cannot help it. You are perfection itself," Prince Friedrich says.

"Offer her your gift," Her Majesty tells him.

"I have brought you a gift," Prince Friedrich tells Daphne. He pulls a rather large and beautiful diamond necklace from a case. He fastens it around Daphne's neck. Suddenly Daphne turns to face him. "Miss Bridgerton, are you unwell?"

"I am perfectly well. Of course," Daphne assures him. "This necklace is... quite well too.

"She will make a lovely princess, will she not?" Her Majesty states.

"Of course, Your Majesty."

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed. But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud. Though this author cannot dismiss the Duke of Hastings quite so soon. He may have let the diamond slip through his fingers for now, but I shall wager he is not a man to ever hide from a fight.

Upon arriving home I start up the stairs with Daphne. I smile at Ezra as he plays jacks with Gregory. Hyacinth rushes down the stairs from the other direction.

"Is it true? Am I to be the sister of a princess?" Hyacinth asks.

"Calm yourself," I tell her.

"I am not yet engaged to the prince," Daphne reminds her.

"Will you have to wear a crown?" Hyacinth asks.

"Perhaps for special occasions, but only if I should marry the prince," Daphne says.

"Will you have to learn Prussian?" Hyacinth asks.

"It is German," I inform her.

"And perhaps, but only if I should marry the prince," Daphne adds.

"Will you have to move to a castle far, far away?" Hyacinth questions.

"Should you not be off somewhere with your governess?" Daphne remarks.

"I should. My governess has the very same questions as me!" Hyacinth tells her before running off.

I sit in Daphne's room with her.

"Are you to see the prince today?" I ask.

"Anthony is taking me to a boxing exhibition," Daphne tells me.

"Where does the Prince come in?" I question.

"He will be there," Daphne assures.

"Is a boxing exhibition truly where you should be courting the Prince?" I ask.

"I cannot see why not," Daphne offers.

"Do you think Anthony would agree to let me join you?" I ask.

Daphne looks at me curiously. "Why do you want to go to a boxing exhibition?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Why not? If you can charm a Prince there, maybe I can find my own suitor."

"And since when did you want a suitor?" Daphne questions.

I sigh. "So maybe I do not want a suitor, but there are still some nice gentlemen to look at in the ton."

I walk into the boxing exhibition with Daphne and Anthony. It is very loud and a little dirty. I can hear people shouting bets all around us.

"If Mama knew I were here, of all places." Daphne starts.

"Trust she would have more to say to me than you," Anthony assures.

I spot the Prince next to one of the men I assume is fighting today. "There's your prince now."

"With your fancy well in hand, Betty and I shall make ourselves scarce for the final blow," Anthony tells Daphne.

I smile at Daphne as I walk off with Anthony. We sit along the top row of seats. We are joined by Colin and Benedict. I cannot help but to notice Simon standing by the side of the ring. I can see he has decided to stay in London after all.

"Why did you wish to come along?" Anthony asks me.

I snap out of the daze I am in. "I should like to experience new things from time to time."

Anthony nods his head. "And watching men fight is something you wish to experience."

I smile. "I wish to experience everything dear brother."

People shout and cheer as the match continues.

"Who are we cheering for?" I ask Anthony.

Anthony points to the darker skinned man in the ring. "That one there. Mondrich."

"And did we bet money on this Mondrich fellow?" I ask.

Anthony looks at me surprised. "It is improper for a lady to talk of such things."

I chuckle. "Here you are assuming I care what society thinks of me."

Mondrich knocks the other man out.

"Go on, Mondrich!" Anthony shouts.

Mama is rather angry to hear that Anthony took Daphne to the fight. "Your brother took you where?"

"He kept close watch the entire time, Mama," Daphne assures.

"I was there watching out for Daphne as well," I add.

"It does not matter. A boxing exhibition is no place for any young lady," Mama insists.

"Is it a place for a prince? Was he at today's match, Sister?" Hyacinth asks.

"He certainly was," Daphne tells her.

"It is a loathsome and barbarous form of entertainment," Mama insists.

"What about the Duke?" Mama and Daphne ask at the same time.

"Was he also present?" Hyacinth asks.

"I do not know," Daphne tells her. "If the Duke was there, I did not see him."

Anthony walks into the room. "Mother. Betty. Daph."

"Did you truly take your sister to a boxing match?" Mama asks.

"Your admonishment will have to wait. I have news," Anthony tells her. "Prince Friedrich has asked for my permission to propose."

"So soon?" Daphne asks.

"Well, what did you tell him?" Mama asks.

"That I know better than to answer for my sister. I have no objections to the man. People speak well of him. Whatever you decide, Daph, you shall have my support," Anthony says.

"I... uh... I..." Daphne stumbles.

"You need not decide now," Mama tells her. "You certainly. have not known him long."

"Let me know when you have an answer, and I shall convey it," Anthony says.

"Indeed," Daphne agrees.

I sit with Daphne in her room. She has seemed off all day since Anthony told her of the Prince's proposal.

"Do you not wish to marry Prince Fredrich?" I ask.

"I do not know," Daphne confesses.

"You are not over the Duke," I state.

"No," Daphne admits.

"I think you should follow your heart," I tell her. "But I also know the Duke will not marry and you cannot force him. Prince Fredrich wants to get married and more importantly he wants to marry you, Daph." I take a breath. "I just do not want you to stay stuck on the Duke if he does not feel the same for you."

"It was not real," Daphne says. "And well, it... It is over now. I do not have to pretend any longer."

I can see Daphne getting choked up. I pull her towards me into a hug.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.7K 699 60
"When I said 'I will find you'. That was a promise" When the world turned to sh*t, Malia Rain only had one objective and that was to keep her and he...
10.5K 349 14
Please Read My First Team S Book!! Sorry. The first one isn't my best. Sarah Baker has been through a lot already. She got through a murderous alpha...
2.8K 89 8
A Groupchat, Created By Daniel Ricciardo (Obviously). I'll Try Update This As Much As Possible
187K 5.6K 22
𝐓𝐇𝐄 π‡π”ππ†π‘π˜ πŒπ„π‘πŒπ€πˆπƒ ━━ βœ§Λ–*. | ❝Humans are monsters.❞ | βœ§Λ–*. The real version of 'The Little Mermaid.' Zia was just a teenager. She wan...