three

I sit in the dining room with my family. Mama has invited the Duke to dine with us. I do not know what her intentions for it are just yet. I can only imagine it has to do with Daphne.

"Haven't you heard what we're talking about?" Benedict asks.

"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury, of all places," Anthony offers.

"What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury? That people there actually work for a living?" Benedict says.

"She does seem to be someone with access," Daphne offers.

"Who knows if Whistledown is even a she?" Colin asks.

"Fair point," Anthony says.

"Because she is simply too good to be anyone but a man?" Eloise says.

"Well, I think it rather obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury," Francesca offers.

"Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down," I reason.

"Could it be Lady Featherington?" Hyacinth questions.

"No!" everyone says with a laugh.

"You have yet to read what Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, little sister," Eloise tells her.

Mama turns to the Duke. "You must forgive this rather unruly debate, Your Grace."

"Nonsense. I find it entertaining," the Duke tells her.

Mama looks surprised. "Oh!"

"All of you at one table, even the children," the Duke says.

"Well, I realize it may be unfashionable, but we like each other. Most of the time. You should join us more often, Your Grace. Perhaps when we travel to our country seat. You would be most welcome," Mama offers.

"Gregory! Ezra!" Hyacinth pounds her fists on the table. "Would you stop tossing peas at me?

"Those peas were already there. You cannot tell me what to do. I am older," Gregory tells her.

"And I'm taller," Hyacinth counters.

"Children..." Lady Bridgerton scolds with a chuckle.

I shake my head. "Ezra must you do everything that Gregory does?"

"I'm to spar with Jackson himself," Colin tells Benedict.

"You?" Benedict questions.

"Is that envy I detect in your voice?" Colin taunts.

"I think it judgement," I offer.

"I shall need to witness this," Benedict tells him.

Suddenly both Colin and Benedict turn to look at Daphne and the Duke.

"What are we looking at?" I whisper to Benedict.

"I'm unsure. Anthony just motioned for Colin and I to watch the two of them," Benedict whispers.

"Well I shall watch as well," I whisper.

Benedict chuckles.

"Hastings, I'm so glad you decided to join us this evening. It was most spontaneous of you," Anthony says.

"Not at all. With Lady Danbury accepting your dear mother's gracious invitation on my behalf... Well, however could I have declined?" the Duke reasons.

"You must stay for dessert. It's gooseberry pie, Your Grace," Lady Bridgerton tells him.

"Ah! Lovely!" the Duke says.