fifteen

Simon and I head into the village for the fair. Everyone has smiles and been rather nice to both Simon and I. We stand in front of a pen full of rather fat pigs.

I look to the man next to me. "And what is the prize for the winner?"

"Why, slaughter, of course," the man tells me.

I smile at everyone around the pen. "As the Duke has granted me the honor of opening our village fair with this contest, it is after careful consideration that I have decided that the rather rotund pig with the very coily tail shall be the winner."

People start to clap for the winner. An older man steps towards Simon and I. He bows. "Thank you, Your Graces."

I smile at him. "Your pig was the obvious choice. The fattest of the bunch."

The man smiles. "Thank you again."

Simon smiles at me as we continue through the fair. "You handled that rather well. I thought for a moment you might pick all three."

I shake my head. "You know I am aware that slaughter means providing pork for Clyvedon for the year." Simon looks slightly impressed. "It is not my first encounter outside of London. I do have some brains in my head."

Simon and I taste some of the pies made by the villagers. I smile.

"We must order some for Clyvedon."

The woman smiles at me.

A man with a wicker top hat steps up to Simon and I. "Does your patronage extend beyond pies, Your Grace? The harvests on the farm have been poor, and with the rents being tripled, we are struggling to put food on the table."

"The rents tripled?" Simon questions. "My steward did not inform me."

"He hasn't shown his face since your father passed, God rest His Grace's soul," the man informs us. "He always gave his tenants

what they needed, unlike some."

"Then it is a good thing indeed that we are back at Clyvedon," I tell the man. "I am sure we can find a solution to these difficulties, and I thank you for bringing them to our attention."

The man tips his hat at me. "Your Grace."

Simon and I come across a crying child. She seems rather upset as I pick her up in my arms. "Oh, there, there, there, child. No need to cry. All is well." The child settles slightly. "My! You have a strong set of lungs. They shall hear you all the way in London."

"If not all the way to France," a heavily pregnant woman tells me. I assume she is the girl's mother and that she has just realized who Simon and I are. "Oh, my goodness. I must apologize, Your Grace. Little Ada has just discovered her own voice and likes to use it as often and loudly as she can. Oh, um..."

The woman struggles to curtsy and I stop her. "Oh, please, stand. You should not be stooping in your condition." I turn to little Ada and smile before placing her down. "Well, it was lovely to make your acquaintance. Ada."

The woman laughs lightly. "Oh! Your Grace."

I smile as she walks off with her daughter.

Simon and I start to walk through the fields back towards Clyvedon.

"What can we do about the farmer's rent?" I question. "There must be something."

"I should have returned sooner to see that things were in order," Simon confesses. " I did not realize my absence would be felt this way." I nod my head. "Betty..."

"I hope that..." I start.

"Please," Simon tells me.

"I only meant to say, I hope it did not pain you too much to see me with those children," I tell him.