No One Else Like You

By camrenruinedmylife

(Book 3/3 of Club Echo) A path she didn't think she would ever take, Y/N is tested yet again with the trials... More

Oceans
Cherry
Space Song
Grow As We Go
Little Things
Lights Are On
Something About You
Infinity
Sparks
Here with Me
Where Have You Been
The Way You Look At Me
Turning Page
Pretty Boy
When I Look At You
Every Kind Of Way
Watercolor Eyes
I Like Me Better
So High
Video Games
All Too Well
A Soulmate Who Wasn't Meant To Be
When She Loved Me
Love Affair
Enchanted
The Moon Song
Happier Than Ever
Lost
Sorry
Photograph
Heart Like Yours
I Won't Give Up
Until I Found You
Dance with Me
Beginning Middle End
Nothing
Doin' Time
Haunted
Revenge, And a Little More
Pray
Hold Her While You Can
j's lullaby
red love
Iris
Can't Help Falling in Love

exile

19.4K 366 1.3K
By camrenruinedmylife

"I think I've seen this film before, and I didn't like the ending."

- Taylor Swift, Bon Iver (exile, 2020)
________

Y/N's POV

It felt like eternity when the ambulance finally arrived. Lizzie was unresponsive as she was rushed in the back of the vehicle. I held her hand tightly, and hoped with every bone in my body that she would make it out of this alive. I couldn't make out what the paramedics were saying, questions they were asking me that I can't seem to answer. All I could hear was the worrying, weak, and faint sound of her heart monitor. Seeing her in such a fragile state, shattered me in ways I didn't think possible.

When the ambulance came to a stop, everyone came in a hurry to wheel her inside of the building, where were met by at least a couple of trauma doctors asking what happened. I paid them no attention as my gaze remained on Lizzie's unconscious body as we entered the hallway frantically. With my vision glossed over from the tears that doesn't seem like it wants to stop from pouring, I repeatedly prayed internally, enough to where it would buy me some time to make myself feel better.

It was a long shot, but I was hoping to get some sort of response, maybe a sign from her that she'll be okay, and that this won't be the last time I'll see her. But, the seconds I spent with the medical team wheeling her inside the hallway, I received nothing. No response. It was almost like there's no life left in her. She's merely a body without a soul. And that was a dagger in the heart.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but you'll have to wait out here." One of the nurses told me as she stopped me from going inside of the ICU alongside the doctors.

Before I even had time to react, I watched them disappear behind the door as it slammed shut. I stood there, feeling empty. Lifeless. Like, I have no purpose. Maybe, I'm right. Maybe, I don't have any purpose anymore. If something were to happen to her, I don't know what I would do. This can't be how our story ends. I won't let it.

I sat on the ground with my knees pushed against my chest as tears poured out of my eyes like there's no tomorrow. It feels as though, with every drop, it takes every bit of energy I could muster to let it all out, rendering me exhausted. But, that's all I could. Cry. Play the blame game. It is nothing new that I have yet again faced another heart shattering predicament because that is all what the world knows to throw at me. I could never be happy and that's a fact.

My gaze followed Lizzie's blood that dried over time. I never knew how much she lost until I sat there, my eyes completely glossed over, but enough to where I'm easily reminded of what happened not too long ago. The memory recalled to me like wildfire, and it flooded my mind like high tides that didn't seem to want to calm down. I wish I could forget it all. I couldn't bear remembering seeing her body aggressively colliding with the car, and how lifeless she looked after.

I've lost track of time. I don't know if it's only been fifteen minutes or hours since she was rushed inside, but to me everything felt like eternity. I've cried my heart out and it doesn't seem like there's going to be a stopping point for me. It stings, and with every breath that I take, it brings unexplainable emotions that keep gnawing at me from the inside.

"Y/N... What happened?"

I looked over to my right, and saw MK approaching me carefully. The fear in her eyes as she stood before me, brought me to my limit. Without even realizing it, I started to cry again, but this time it felt different. I felt guilty. It took a moment to pull myself together before I told her what happened.

It was a story I would never have any sort of pleasure telling. I could barely tell her what happened coherently without breaking down into pieces. But, when I did, the horror in her eyes as tears began to escape her eyes became unbearable for me to handle. I was trembling uncontrollably as my gaze remained fixated on the blood that covered almost the entirety of my hands.

"This is all my fault." I muttered under my breath. "If I had just—"

"Stop." MK interceded sternly. "Don't do this. Don't play the blame game. You weren't the one behind the wheel driving. It's some asshole who doesn't know their alcohol limit. None of this is your fault."

"I know, but—"

"No buts." She sighed. "Why don't you take a break and go to the bathroom. I'll come and get you if something changes."

A little hesitant, but eventually, I stood up and made my way inside of the bathroom. I stopped in front of the mirror, not realizing how bloodshot my eyes looked until now. It doesn't take a second look to notice how exhausted I must be feeling. Both physically and mentally. But, none of that mattered. All I care about is her wellbeing.

The longer I gawked at myself in the mirror, the angrier I felt. It should've been me. I should've been the one on the operating table fighting for my life instead of her. She doesn't deserve any of this. Frustrated, I turned on the faucet with force as I aggressively rubbed her dried blood all over my hands. I didn't care that it was hurting me, but the tears that began pouring out of my eyes sent me over the edge. I kept going even when I cleaned them off completely.

Eventually, I grew tired of rubbing my hands. I sunk to the ground with my legs slightly apart. My heart wrenching sobs came out of nowhere, setting me up for failure. I don't have any emotional control over me, and the more I think about the accident, the more it comes for me. It feels suffocating, like someone is choking me to death because I deserve it. But, above it all, my heart hurts more.

Images of Lizzie's lifeless body as she was rushed inside the ICU remained engraved in my head. I wanted to punch the living shit out of the wall, preferably breaking my hand in the process, but inflicting pain on myself will not change the fact she's fighting for her life right now. I wish I could do something to make myself feel better, but that's completely out of the window. The only way I can ever feel that way is knowing that she's okay.

It's been eight hours since Lizzie was rushed inside with nothing but the time ticking by. She's been in surgery for so long that I'm starting to lose hope. Every time the double doors would open, my head would immediately divert its undivided attention toward the direction, hoping to get some news regarding her condition. But, just like the previous hours, nothing.

MK insisted I should head home, and she'll let me know if anything changes. There was only one viable decision for me. I stayed because there's no place I would rather be than here. She understood my choice, and didn't say anything to persuade me. In the meantime, I played with the imprint of the ring inside of my pocket, mindlessly drawing circles, the negative thoughts winning against me.

I pulled the piece of jewelry out of my pocket, and a single tear immediately escaped my eye as soon as I gained sight of it. Suddenly, a flash-like memory came flooding to me like a movie. I watched all of my favorite absolute moments with her. With my eyes closed, I remain focused on the feeling as it's giving me a sense of hope that I need. But, darkness slowly starts to creep its way inside of the little hope I manage to muster. From there, I'm back to square one.

I sobbed brokenly as I let the piece of me, or what could've been a piece of her touch my lips as I try everything in me not to break down completely. But, it's hard. I don't think I'm strong enough to gain some type of control over what I feel anymore. All of the 'what ifs' ran through my head repeatedly.

I don't know what else to do with myself. I feel so useless, sitting here, doing nothing while she's over there fighting for her dear life. It shouldn't have to be like this. All she ever wanted was for us to have a life together. To be happy. But, I took my time to find my way back to her, and when I did, it was a little too late. She was in front of me, happy, and reaching for my hand. But, just like any good things in my life, it was stripped away within the matter of seconds.

More hours passed by with no news. Rosie and Margot came a little over an hour ago for support, which was definitely needed. Lizzie's parents are currently in dispose, so they don't know about the accident. It's probably because they're out of the country for a business trip. Maya is still in music camp for about two more weeks, and thinking about how I'll eventually have to tell her of what happened breaks me. And as for Ashley, she's currently a few hours away from us.

• • •

Hours ticked away with nothing but waiting for someone to tell us of Lizzie's wellbeing. Despite persistently asking a few of the attending nurses, it didn't help simply because they didn't know anything. I could sit still anymore, so I spent the last thirty minutes pacing around my space, in my own little world because I couldn't be bothered to speak. I have no energy for that.

I was way in over my head that I didn't even realize that a doctor had come to tell us news regarding Lizzie until Rosie called for me. I wasted no time as I eagerly shuffled my feet toward them, hoping to hear some good news. I need it. Hell, we all do. I was spacing out that I missed her introduction, but luckily, I pulled myself just in time to hear what I have been waiting for.

"The patient lost a lot of blood, and she suffered a tremendous amount of injuries all over her body, which is why it took so long for my team to get her to stabilize." Dr. Grey informed us. "She also had a major swelling in her temporal lobe. The brain stem is severely damaged, but luckily we were able to control the bleeding."

"So, does this mean she's okay?" MK asked.

"She's stable for now." Dr. Grey continued. "But, unfortunately, since her brain suffered so much damage that we were left with no choice but to put her in an induced coma so it could heal at its own preferred pace."

I wanted to say something, but I couldn't physically bring myself to do so. MK did all the talking, and I just stood there, taking it all in. I'm finding it hard to believe that this is all happening. It feels like it's something out of a movie. It feels surreal, like someone is controlling my own fate.

"Y/N." MK pulled me out of my thoughts. "Why don't you go and see her while I tell my parents the news."

"I'll go get you something to drink." Rosie said.

"I'll call the precinct to see if they have the guy behind bars." Margot added as we all went our separate ways.

My feet feel like they're being dragged down my anchors. Every step is weighted, like I'm buying myself some time before I would have to look at her comatose state. Thinking about it already hurts. I can't even begin to think about the type of pain and whatever it is in between that will come for me later. For what seemed like forever, I finally made it in front of her room.

I couldn't bring myself to open the door. I stood there with my hand hovering on top of the handle, waiting for the courage to open it completely. My heart is beating out of my chest the longer I wait while my hands begin to feel clammy thinking about it. I'm physically and emotionally incapable of doing anything but standing here and prolonging the inevitable.

Eventually, I was able to muster enough energy and courage to open the door. With my gaze still attached to my feet, I made my way inside, the only source of sound in the room was the constant beeping sound of her heart monitor. When I finally diverted all of my attention toward her, I felt a cold, eerie-like shiver on my spine, something I have never felt before.

Tears began to cover my eyes while my lips quivered in pure sorrow and defeat. I felt paralyzed. I couldn't feel any of my limbs as my gaze remained fixated on her unconscious body. It broke me having to see her this way. Her face is covered in multiple stitches as well as minor cuts and bruises. It doesn't take a second look to know the amount of pain she must be going through.

If I could, I would switch places with her in a heartbeat. I would rather go through hell than have her go through it. And the more her accident is sinking in, the more I'm hating myself for wasting so much time trying to figure my feelings out when I already knew what I wanted in the beginning. I wasted so much time away from her, and I'm afraid that I won't ever get to make up for lost times.

When I made it beside her, I carefully gained a hold of her cold hand, which was also covered with a few minor cuts and bruises. A single tear dropped on her bed sheet as I sniffed my tears back so I could say something.

"Hey, baby." I started out slow. "I don't know if you can hear me, but I just want you to know how sorry I am for making you wait. I wish I could trade places with you because you don't deserve any of this. I love you so much, and I hope you're doing okay. Wherever you are." I pushed the tears away from my face. "I'll be here when you wake up, so, please, come back to me as soon as you can."

I pressed my lips against her hand, praying from anyone above that she'll be okay. I wept in silence as more tears poured out of my eyes as if it was the easiest thing to do. But, above it all, I made sure to tell her that I love her despite not knowing if she could hear me or not.

• • •

Five months have passed by, and Lizzie is still unconscious. There has been no change in her body that could indicate that she would wake up anytime soon. And just like the previous months, I remained by her side through it all. Just as I promised. I won't leave her side ever again.

When Maya came back from camp, I had no choice but to tell her what happened. She was hysterical at first, and cried in my arms all day and night before exhaustion would take over. It took a few weeks before she could finally see her mom without breaking into pieces. It pains me having to watch her crumble every once in a while because I know that the bond they created over the years was something special. Lizzie treated her as if she was her own, and Maya felt that in ways she could not even fathom.

Over the course of a few months, I've established a routine every time I would pay her a visit. I would always make sure to eat all of my three meals with her, and I would tell her what I have going on for the day, and any current events that I know she would want to know. It's almost like I'm actually talking to her, and for a moment I would forget that she's not awake.

"And so they say the universe will expand forever, every point of light will eventually fade into everlasting darkness like the embers of all that we were. But, my love, this is not the end. I promised I would love you forever. So, as long as a part of this universe exists, I will go on loving you endlessly." I read one of the poems that I wrote just for her.

I collected quite a few over the few months. Every chance I get, I would write her something new, hoping that one day, she'll get to read them because I know how much she loves her poetry books.

I gave her a warm smile before reading the next one, "What a perfect ending it was, to love you to the fullest and never regret a single moment we were together."

I didn't mind in the slightest that I'm getting no response from her. All I really wanted to do is be around her as much as I possibly could. Reading to her, eating with her, and everything else in between, I'm doing out of love because that is all I could do. Even if she doesn't respond to all the things I tell her despite it coming from the deepest part of my soul, I'm okay with it.

"Maya is doing so well in school." I said, closing the book. "She's the smartest in her class, and quite possibly in her entire school. Her principal talked to me a couple of days ago about having her take a test where if she gets a certain amount of questions right, she could skip grades." I teared up a little. "God, she's so smart that she doesn't even need my help with her homework. You raised her well. I wish that I was there to witness it all."

I licked my lips together as I gained a hold of her hand, caressing it carefully, "I wish it's not too late for us to raise her together, because we're a great team. You and I."

I wish I could say that I didn't shed any tears telling her of Maya's achievements over the time span of five months, but I did. I couldn't help myself. Maybe it was the fact that she wasn't there to witness the many awards that Maya received, and a few minor soccer games that she missed, but everything about our situation and her predicament is a dagger in the heart.

"As you can tell, I didn't go back to London." I spoke once more, but this time, with a hint of happiness in my voice for a change. "There was nothing waiting for me back there, and plus, you were right about location wise when it comes to opening my own recording studio, which brings me up to my next point." I stopped for a second for excitement even though she'd not awake to feel them. "It took a lot of talking with the right people, and an endless amount of signing documents, but I've finally achieved one of my goals for this year. I opened my own recording studio, alongside Miles and Ronnie, who also stayed. Athena is also flying next month to help with accounting. You haven't met her yet, but she's cool. You two will get along."

It felt like I gave her an entire speech regarding my own recording studio. I got caught up with one of the few things that's been helping me cope with the accident that I actually allowed myself to let loose for once. It feels refreshing for a change, and I'm glad that I've gained some control with my emotions these past couple of weeks.

"Oh, and don't even get me started on Scarlett." I told her excitedly. "She won three oscar awards for her new movie, which she told me to tell you that we need to watch together when you wake up."

I felt a slight pang on my chest when I realized that I don't exactly know when we'll be able to do that. I try to remain positive every time I start to think of how long she's been in a coma for, but some days are harder than others. In this case, I'm in one of the bad ones.

I kissed her hand gently, "I hope you're doing okay, my love. Wherever you are."

The door swung open, making me jump a little. I turned around and saw Ashley approaching me cautiously, "Are you going home for the night?"

"No, I'm staying." I answered. "How's Maya doing at your parents' house?"

"I just got off the phone with my mom and she said she's sleeping already." Ashley took a seat close to me. "How are you doing, Y/N?"

I smiled weakly, "I'm hanging in there."

Ashley stood up from her seat excitedly, "Are you hungry? Please tell me you are because I'm starving and I don't want to eat alone in the cafeteria."

I nodded and followed her outside. I took a quick glance at Lizzie before leaving her room completely. I didn't do much talking on the way to the first floor, and let her do all the talking because I don't have the energy. When we got our food, Ashley chose a spot outside where we began to eat our food.

I thought I was hungry because when she mentioned food, my stomach made all kinds of monstrous noises. But, as I sat here, with my food in front of me, I barely made a dent on the lasagna. I thought I could do it, but all I could think about is Lizzie and how it's been five months since the accident and there's no sign of her ever waking up. And that's when I fell into a pit I like to call; 'the blame game.'

"Liz is strong." Ashley said softly. "She'll make it through this alive. And when she wakes up, she'll remember your cute, adorable face that she loves so much."

I chuckled lightly, "I sure hope so." I lowered my gaze to my food, then back to her. "It's all my fault. If I had—"

Ashley squeezed my hand, "No, it's not. None of this is your fault. Don't do this to yourself."

"But, why do I feel like it is?"

"Listen, I don't know, but I know that in the deepest part of my soul and the same goes to my family, that none of this is your fault. No one is blaming you."

I nodded, before forcing myself to take a generous bite of my food so I wouldn't break down and cry. Ashley spent the rest of the night filling me in on her and MK's fashion brand achievements. It made me feel better because I know how hard they worked for it.

• • •

Another month ran by. It's still the same on her end. No response or anything the doctors could use to let us know of any good news that we obviously need. I barely left her side despite my hectic schedule with the recording studio being a success. Fortunately, I have caring, competent smart friends that are willing to do all the work that I've been slacking with.

"Why didn't you go home?" MK woke me up from my sleep. "You know, you don't have to be here 24/7. We'll let you know if there's any changes. And plus, I know how busy you've been these past couple of months since your recording studio opened."

"I know, but I don't think I have anything in me to leave her side." I answered truthfully. "I know it sounds selfish, but there's no place I would rather be than in this room."

"I understand." She nodded. "You don't want to miss her waking up. I would do the same if I was in your shoes."

I let the silence win between us as my gaze remained fixated on my lover. All the things I want to say, I can't. I mean, I guess I could, but there are some things I want her to know when she wakes up. I'm hoping that one day, I'll get the chance to tell her.

"You don't have to worry about picking Maya from school tomorrow or any days for that matter." MK said. "Ashley and I are going to be around for a while, so, you can stay here, beside my little sister for as long as you'd like without you having to worry about you guys' kid."

I nodded, and gave her a warm smile, "Thank you."

"It's no problem." She returned the favor. "I know how tough these last six months have been for you. I can feel it. Despite the many sleepless nights, and endless amount of coffee cups, you're still here. I'm happy knowing my sister has someone like you."

Her words comforted me. I thought it was going to bring me to tears, but instead, it made me smile. I needed this. She's right about everything. These last six months have been tough. And it got me thinking of one thing. The heartbreak and endless nights I've spent crying my heart out four years ago was nothing compared to this. This was different.

• • •

It pains me to leave the next morning, but I had to. I went back to my place to take a quick shower, which was needed because I've been cooped up in her room for the entire day without leaving, and seeing the sun. Rosie also took this as an opportunity to ask me for breakfast. I would usually try to get out of it so I can have more time with Lizzie, but I knew how much she's been dying to see me, let alone to know if I'm okay.

After ordering our food, Rosie gave me a look, "How's everything with Lizzie? Any progress?"

I shook my head, "No. She's still the same, unfortunately."

"I'm sorry."

My eyes begin to gloss over, "I'm starting to lose hope, Rosie. I don't know if she'll ever wake up or if I'll even get to tell her all the things I've been dying to say six months ago. It's hard and it hurts and I don't know how much more of this I can take—"

Rosie situated herself next to me as she draped her arm around my shoulder, "Listen to me, don't lose hope, okay? I know this is a tough time for you and her family, but just know that everything will work out in the end. I'll make sure of it."

I nodded as I broke down completely. Rosie took me in, engulfing me with a warm embrace that I clearly needed. I closed my eyes, hoping that I would run out of tears to shed, but they keep coming like they are meant to. My index finger played with the imprint of the ring in my pocket, finding the tiniest hope that one day, maybe one day, I'll get to ask her to marry me.

• • •

When I went back to the hospital, I stopped on my tracks when I saw Maya inside of Lizzie's room. I watched as she held her mother's hand carefully while she prayed. It brought me to tears. I wish there was something I could do to make the three of us happy.

I entered the room quietly enough to where she didn't even notice I'm in the room. I remained making my presence unknown as I stood in the corner, watching her talk to Lizzie.

"I miss you so much, mom." Maya whispered. "I hope you're okay and that you come back to us. I know that I cause trouble sometimes, and I'm sorry for all of them. I promise I won't do them anymore if you wake up. Y/N and I will make sure to make you the happiest person you could possibly be."

It felt like I was being invasive, so I left the room and gave Maya her alone time with her mom. I came back a couple of hours later and found her sleeping on the couch. I grabbed the folded blankets near Lizzie's bed, and tucked her in so she could be warm.

When I was done, I sat next to Lizzie before grabbing her hand, and taking her in with all of my heart, "I love you, baby. Always and Forever." I kissed her hand gently.

• • •

Night time came rather quickly. I went outside to get some air because everyone was sleeping. After Maya and I ate dinner and told Lizzie about everything we could possibly think of, she fell asleep. I looked up at the stars, and all I could think about is the love of my life and how every single star up in the sky reminds me of her. That's when I came up with another poem for her.

'We have watched the stars together so many times. It's impossible to look up, and not think of you'

I wrote it down with a smile on my face. For the first time in a while, my heart fluttered. And for a moment, hope finally touched my heart in ways I fought so hard for. And that's when I started to reminisce of the times we spent watching the stars. A moment I definitely took for granted.

I felt a blanket cover me, and when I turned around to see who it was, I was surprised to find Maya awake. I gave her a thankful smile as she sat next to me. She slid her tiny hand, squeezing my own gently.

"How are you doing, Y/N?"

"I'm okay." I lied, but she didn't buy it.

"It's okay to not be okay." Maya spoke softly. "You love her so much. You're concerned. But, she will be okay. I'll make sure you two get your happy ending. You are each other's soulmate. I'll do anything and everything even if it's the last thing I do."

Maya wrapped her arms around me and gave me the warmest hug I've had in a while. I buried my face against her shoulder while a few tears managed to escape my eyes.

I pulled away, surprised by my own action when I realized what I was doing, "Do you think your mom will like this ring?"

Maya's face lit up with excitement, "Of course, she will! She'll love it."

"That's good." I cheered with her.

"Does this mean we'll finally have our one big happy family?"

"Yes it is, little bear." I squeezed her cheeks, causing her to scrunch her nose.

• • •

I wish I could say that I remained positive through it all as I promised Maya, but another nine months passed by, about a year and three months in total since the accident with nothing but the same results over and over again. They kept telling me that she'll wake up one of these days and everything will be okay. But, as more time passes by, it hurts to think that she may never wake up.

Here I am, mindlessly stacking up vinyl discs inside of my recording studio, drowning in my own thoughts. I've missed enough time away from work, so I decided, what better way to ease my mind of the possibility that she may never wake up by surrounding myself with things I enjoy doing. My passion. Music.

"Y/N, did you hear what I said?" Miles' voice rang repeatedly, pulling me out of my trance.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean?"

"You should be at the hospital." Athena chimed in. "With Lizzie."

"Yeah, you know we got this under control." Ronnie added.

"I don't want to abandon you guys." I said with a heavy heart. "I've left you guys long enough and I—"

Miles gained a hold of my shoulders, leading me toward the door, "I'm going to stop you right there and push you out the door so you could be with the love of your life instead of here." Before I could say anything, he interrupted me once more, "I will change the locks if I have to and you know I can do that. I know people."

I chuckled and waved my imaginary white flag before leaving the premises. I drove my motorcycle back to the hospital and made my way inside of her room where I found her the same way I left her.

"Did anything change?" I asked MK as I entered her room.

"No, but the Dr. Grey came in earlier and checked her vitals. The same old stuff."

I listened as she told me a few things that happened during the time I left. I gazed at Lizzie longingly, hoping for a sign, maybe even a slight movement that she's still here, fighting to wake up. Just as the previous months before, nothing. No response.

"I've missed you so much, my love." I held her hand like I always do. "Please come back to me."

"I'm going to the cafeteria for something to drink." MK said. "Do you need anything?"

I shook my head, and diverted my undivided attention back to Lizzie. I slid my hand, filling in the cracks of her hand as I placed it in front of my lips so I could give it a kiss.

"There's a new season for our show, Lucifer and I've been dying to watch it." I chuckled, not letting the tears win this time. "I don't know how long I can wait, and try to avoid as many spoilers as I possibly can until I watch it. So, please, don't make me betray you like that, and wake up so we can watch it together."

I laughed to myself, finding the silver lining in the moment I created with her. It's not much, but it made me smile, knowing that despite everything, there were things that could still make me happy.

I read her more of the poems I wrote wholeheartedly as if she's awake. I made sure to pour my heart out in each and every single one of them as I'm reading it, and added a few that came my way because of the moment I found myself in. Hopefully, one day, she'll get to read it herself and understand how powerful my emotions and feelings for her can be.

• • •

When I woke up from my nap, I looked at the time on my watch telling me that it's a little past midnight. I took a quick glance at Lizzie then at MK before seeing myself out to get some air. I went to the rooftop to watch the starry night sky, my thoughts drifting to her.

I've lost track of time. I don't know how long I've been looking up at the sky until someone comes into the picture. I looked beside me, and found MK offering me a cup of coffee. I gave her a thankful smile before I sipped on the hot beverage, lifting me up a little.

"You haven't been sleeping, haven't you?"

"I couldn't. No matter how hard I try." I played with my cup. "I would always wake up in a panic, and it would remind me of the accident and how terrified I was watching her take in her last breath before she fell unconscious."

"I'm sorry.."

"I just want her to know how much I love her." I said tearfully. "I want her to be my wife, build a family with her and Maya, and do all the things we've always wanted to do." I took a moment to gather myself. "I've been taking a couple of construction management classes so one day, I could build a house for us to live in."

MK nodded as she listened to me talk about my future plans with Lizzie and all of the things I want to do to make sure she's the happiest person in the entire world. I got so lost in talking about the future that I didn't even realize how happy I look right now.

"I can't remember the last time I've seen you smile." MK made note of my sudden burst of happiness. "It's good that you—"

"Guys, Lizzie's awake!" Ashley shouted from afar, catching us off guard.

• • •

I almost stumbled on my own feet as I rushed inside of her room, where I found Dr. Grey standing beside her bed, assessing her vision and asking her a couple of questions that I can't quite hear because I couldn't believe what I'm seeing. I almost couldn't move from where I'm standing as they were all talking amongst themselves. I thought I was imagining things, and maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but it's real and she's finally awake.

Tears covered my sight, but they didn't escape my eyes just yet. A smile slowly formed on my lips as I slowly made my way toward her, relieved to see her conscious and talking. I never knew how I missed her voice until now. I'm overwhelmed with emotions rushing all throughout my body.

"I swear to god, Lizzie, don't ever do that again!" MK pretended to cry. "You slept for over a year and three months. Never again, understand?"

Lizzie chuckled weakly, "You act like I have a choice." She struggled to talk but managed to form a coherent sentence.

"But, anyway, there's someone who has been waiting for your slow ass to finally wake up." MK made my presence known, and my heart lit up. I didn't even realize how she had yet to look at me ever since we came into the room. "Y/N, come here."

I felt shy coming into the picture like I'm disturbing their sisterly love and interaction. But, when her eyes finally met my gaze, my heart stopped. Oh, how I've missed being looked at by those mesmerizing emerald eyes of hers.

"Hey." I started with a smile as a single tear finally escaped my eye. "I'm glad you're okay. I've missed you so much."

"You have no idea how long she stayed by your side, Liz." Ashley said.

"This was basically her home for the past year and a few months." MK added. "I guess you could say that she's—"

Lizzie looked at me like I'm a stranger, "Who is she?"

——————
A/N: Welcome to Book 3 🥳 I can't believe I was able to pull the biggest prank on y'all and made you guys believe that Book 2 was the final book of the series. This story, the series, it was always going to a series from the beginning even before the first book ended. I disappeared on purpose to keep y'all on your toes. I hope it worked. I'm excited to tell you guys that their journey is not over just yet. There is much more to address, and it will be fun!

Just like the previous books, I created another spotify playlist for Book 3, so make sure you check it out. This is is the link to it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5g71QBGsKrtdQ74GLRTpxY?si=0skWoQ9yT_i5wZ-n0J7qFA

See y'all in the next chapter besties!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.8K 3.1K 27
This is a new Lizzie book. Will be updated every Thursday Y/N and Lizzie meet at school and become fast friends. They love and support each other wh...
1M 28.8K 71
Y/N is no longer a normal twenty something year old working her way through life in New York City. Well she is, but she's also figuring out to be in...
71.3K 3.7K 85
(Book 2 of Photograph) It's been 2 years since Elizabeth and Shannon's relationship faded into nothing and with the countless events that had happene...
705K 19.9K 31
RECONSTRUCTION - 2017 "I didn't want to walk away, but you forced me to. You're the one who didn't want me, what was I supposed to do?" Lizzie Carpe...