Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Arrivals
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Old Aquaintances And New
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Confusion
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
Doubts and Decisions
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Unleashed
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Narrow Misses
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Suspicion

372 36 97
By Avid_Rdr

"This is where they're staying. That's all I know." Jiho slid a slip of paper across the makeshift table, then slouched back against the rough wooden chair.

"Good enough. You've done well. Now, go home. I don't want you involved in this any further. Your identity is compromised until we eliminate them."

Jiho nodded and rose to her feet. She hooked her bag over her shoulder and walked towards the door of the ancient abandoned Victorian factory.

"However," piped the man.

Jiho froze and looked ahead, not wanting to turn and hear further instructions.

"Know that if you dare disobey me or interfere, I will not hesitate to wipe your existence clean away."

A chill ran up Jiho's spine. With a slight nod to let the man know she understood, she hurried out of the dismal place. Once outside, she gasped in fresh air and looked towards the darkened sky.

She was the lowest of the low. Not only was she a useless halfbreed, but she was a traitorous one as well. After tonight, neither species would even give her a second look. She would become a bigger outcast than she already was.

She deserved it.

She had done awful things to both werewolves and vampires. But it was her only way to survive. She was practically living on blood money. The thought of it turned her stomach.

With short, clipped steps, she hurried away towards her apartment.

***

"You've seen my wolf. Can I see yours?" Jaci, sitting with her legs folded up on the ground, looked towards the darkened tree line. The playful noises had dissipated and only the occasional growl was heard.

Jungkook's head that had been laying on Jaci's shoulder shifted a bit. "Only if he wants to," he said with a yawn.

"Are you doing okay?" asked Jaci, looking over at him. His skin was becoming pinker with each passing moment, but he was moving about with more lethargy.

"'M jus' tired..." he mumbled.

Jaci nudged him upright and patted her lap. He eagerly slid into position and rested his head on her lap. She slowly caressed his hair, letting the black locks flow through her fingers. "I'm worried about you," she murmured.

"I'll be okay," he said. His eyes were closed and moans of pleasure emanated from him at varying intervals. He was happy. Or at the very least, relaxed and at peace.

Jaci looked back at the darkness. Her curiosity was nagging at her, but she kept pushing it aside in favor of keeping close contact with Jungkook. She looked down at his face and smiled at the way his black eyelashes fanned out over his rosy cheeks. His jaw muscles were not clenched, and so his face had a boyish look to it.

She watched him drift into a deep slumber and it bothered her a bit. Was he healing? Or were things going sour out in the real world? Though it was frustrating, all she could do was lend what strength she could and wait to wake up.

She nudged Jungkook and he leaned his head up so she could lay down next to him. Their limbs tangled with one another as their subconsciouses tugged them towards each other.

Just as Jaci's heavy eyelids began to close, the feathery touch of silky fur brushed up against her arm. A large black wolf curled around Jungkook's upper half, while the white and brown wolf curled around Jaci. The wolves' heads leaned against their host and the little group settled into a deep sleep.

***

"How on earth can he keep losing blood?!" Zephyr flung another blood-soaked towel into the garbage bin next to the bed.

Aydan frowned and pulled another towel from the stack on the coffee table and handed it to his Master. "It seems like his body is trying to heal but the anti-healing agent is fighting it. It's two steps forward and one step back."

Zephyr growled in frustration and flopped back into his chair. He yanked his phone from his pants pocket and stared at the screen for a moment before pecking it a few times, then holding it up to his ear.

Aydan furrowed his brow in question, but only received a dark look from Zephyr. His question was refused and he would have to wait on his Master to learn of the call.

"Yes, hello. I need to speak to Ga-Eun," said Zephyr gruffly.

Aydan's eyes grew wide as he listened.

"What do you mean she isn't there? Hoseok, give the phone to Ga-Eun. This is not time to be enraged with your jealousy. Keep lying to yourself... No, I am not trying to start something over the phone... I need her intellectual input, of course... How preposterous! Of course I am smart enough without her help. Listen, you puny Alpha, I am not in the mood! I'll tell you what has me so upset. I have a wolf from your pack here on death's door. Some Hunter tried to gut him with a weapon laced in an anti-healing agent and monk's hood. Yes, I believe his name is Jung— EXCUSE ME? I will not be threatened like that! Tell your wife to call me asap. I am sick to death of hearing your voice— hello? Hello?"

Zephyr threw his phone across the room and laughed darkly as it hit the wall and shattered.

Aydan sighed and went over to pick up the pieces. "How will she reach you now?"

Zephyr ran his hands down his face and sighed. "I don't know. That stupid Alpha can't accept the fact he won but also that Ga-Eun and I still speak sometimes. He's so full of jealousy that he wouldn't even let me speak to her. Kept repeating over and over that she was gone. What a complete and utter moron."

Zephyr leaned closer to Jungkook and leveled a steady gaze on the younger man. He frowned as he saw more blood slowly bubbling up from the partially healed wound. This would not do. Jungkook had little blood left to lose before he was past all hope.

"Aydan, hand me the torch."

Aydan paused and stared back at Zephyr. "You can't be serious."

Zephyr's cold eyes slid over to focus on Aydan. "I never joke about the torch. You did bring it, did you not?"

Aydan swallowed. "I think it's in here." He turned and began rummaging through the bag of supplies and tools.

Zephyr sighed and got up from his seat. He stomped over to the bag and reached in and snagged the torch with his hand. "I can't believe this would make you squeamish.

Aydan sighed and dropped his gaze. "It's just... the smell..."

Zephyr waved his words off. "So you would rather he die because you have a sensitive nose? Good grief. Call the vampires back in here. We need their strength."

Aydan nodded and quickly exited the room.

***

"I'm bored..." mumbled Taehyung, watching people walk back and forth through the hotel lobby. He swallowed as a man completely unaware of who was staring at him walked past the two vampires.

"Tae," said Sunny in a warning tone. "C'mere." She patted her shoulder and leaned her head to the side.

Taehyung looked around and then back to his wife's alabaster neck. He swallowed again but shook his head. "Not right now."

"Then stop looking at the clientele like they're walking buffets," chided Sunny, shaking her hair back around her shoulders.

"Excuse me, Master requests your help." Aydan spoke from behind the two vampires and they quickly turned to see him looking haggard and somber.

"Help means he's still alive, correct?" asked Sunny carefully.

Taehyung quickly stood to his feet. "Let's go," he said, pulling his wife up by her hand.

They both sped past Aydan and into an available elevator. The werewolf was left behind, and he wasn't sad about it. What Zephyr was about to do to that wolf was going to be very difficult to watch and he didn't envy the vampires having to lend their help to it. He headed to the stairwell and reluctantly raced up the stairs. Zephyr would torch him as well if he wasn't back soon.

***

Sunny and Taehyung walked slowly into the room, the scent of coppery blood flooding their noses. They both were battling their emotions as well as their hunger.

"Get over here and hold him down." Zephyr barked his order without even sparing the couple a glance.

Aydan hurried in right after he spoke and rushed past the vampires. He took a deep breath and did as his Master commanded. He leaned over Jaci's body as he pressed his arms down on Jungkook's torso.

Taehyung and Sunny each held one of Jungkook's legs. "What are you doing?" asked Sunny.

Zephyr glared at her and quickly lit his torch. The bluish light flickered across his face and Jungkook's gaping wound.

"Wait!" shouted Sunny as she realized what he was going to do, but it didn't make the Alpha stop his movement.

Soon, a searing hiss was heard as Zephyr slowly moved the flame down the center of the wound.

Aydan closed his eyes as the smell of burning flesh assaulted his nose.

***

Jaci was startled when Jungkook shot upright, screams ripping from him as he arched himself backwards trying to get away from the pain. His wolf bounded to its paws, whining and howling in pain.

Jaci's wolf whimpered and hovered around its mate, helpless whines coming from her.

Jaci looked around Jungkook, seeking the source of the pain. His hands were rigidly flexed and his fingers were stretched out tight. His eyes were opened wide and tears streamed down his cheeks, while his mouth was hanging open as he panted through whatever pain was afflicting him.

"Jungkook! What's going on?" cried Jaci. Her hands fluttered around him helplessly. "Talk to me! Tell me what's happening!"

The tension assaulting Jungkook finally released and he wilted forward. Jaci grabbed his shoulders and slowly leaned him back. His forehead was speckled with drops of sweat and he was breathing heavily. His eyes frantically searched around and finally settled on her, breaking her heart in the process.

"Kook, tell me what's wrong? What's happening?" sobbed Jaci. Seeing him in pain had broken her and filled her with fear. They were still trapped in this strange otherworldly place and she felt so helpless.

"Burning," gasped Jungkook, clenching his eyes tight as his hand fumbled around his chest.

"Burning? But you weren't burning!"

"So hot," he breathed, his hand now sliding up and down his chest. "What is happening...?"

Jaci shook her head and pulled him to her chest, clutching him close. "I don't know, but please don't do that again. You scared me to death."

The black wolf slowly approached Jungkook and apprehensively nosed his cheek. The female laid next to Jaci and put her head down between her paws. Soft whines continued to be heard from her.

"I'm...okay," Jungkook sighed against Jaci's shoulder. His arms wrapped around her and held her like she was his life saver. "Don't worry."

"I can't help it. I don't know what's going on out there," she said waving a hand towards the sky, "but I don't want to lose you."

Jungkook leaned up and sat in front of Jaci. He smiled softly and reached out to wipe her tears away. "I'm sorry I scared you. I promise you aren't going to lose me. I'm not going anywhere. Look at me, Jaci."

Her heart soared at the sound of her name coming from his lips. Her eyes shot up to meet his, and she smiled at the clarity she saw in them. Her hands reached up and cupped his cheeks "You promise?"

"Mm hm," he hummed, nodding slowly. He leaned forward and pressed his forehead to hers.

"Please don't cry. It hurts me," he whispered.

"Seeing you cry hurts me too," she responded.

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her up into his lap. "Just relax with me. Hopefully we can get out of here soon. " He pressed her head down to his shoulder and breathed in her sweet scent.

Once again, peace and quiet reigned over the clearing.

***

"You're hurting him!" shouted Taehyung. He grit his teeth as he fought to hold down Jungkook's flailing leg.

"Stop!" screamed Sunny, tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

Neither Zephyr or Aydan appeared bothered in the least. Zephyr continued cauterizing the wound and Aydan looked stoic as ever.

Jungkook's eyes flashed open for just a moment while his mouth also opened in a silent screen. His body flinched and tried to back away from the heat of the flame but the hands holding him forbade him from doing so.

Jungkook's body collapsed back against the bed as Zephyr removed the blue flame and put it out. Zephyr sighed and wiped the sweat from his forehead. He stood back up and let out a heavy breath. Aydan also released his deathlike grip on Jungkook.

Jaci remained peaceful and seemed totally unaware of what had happened to her mate.

Sunny loosened her grip on Jungkook's leg and shoved Aydan out of the way. She pressed a cool hand to Jungkook's forehead and down to his cheeks. She did the same to Jaci, and then when she was satisfied they were both stable and okay, she stood up and glared angrily at Zephyr. "Why on earth would you do that without anesthetic or something?"

"He's a werewolf. He can handle it," mumbled Zephyr. He walked back to his bag and dropped the torch into it. "I did what needed to be done. He hasn't stopped losing blood since I got here."

Taehyung's nostrils were flaring and he was glaring at Zephyr. "You're walking on thin ice."

"Yes, yes. Listen, I'm so sorry I had the balls to do what needed to be done. I guess I should have just let him lay there and continue to bleed out." Zephyr rubbed his hands up and down his face. He turned and spoke to Taehyung with exasperation when he received no comment.

"He was near death, Taehyung. What would you have had me do? I needed to stop the bleeding. I let the mate bond do what it could, but it wasn't stopping it all the way. Those blasted Hunters poisoned him. Drastic measures were necessary. So get off my back." He huffed out his anger and flopped down into the chair, scowling into the floor.

But then, his head popped back up. "Of course, this may have been avoided if that idiotic Alpha had let me speak to Ga-Eun. I'm sure with our combined intelligence we could have come up with a less painful intervention for this kid."

Taehyung and Sunny exchanged glances.

"Well, for all your cockiness, I thought you would have had the cure within no time," said Taehyung.

Zephyr breathed in deep and closed his eyes. "Insult me one more time, blood sucker. My patience is rather thin at the moment."

Sunny grabbed her husband's arm. "Let's go. Even I can see the bleeding has stopped. We can't do any more for him right now."

Taehyung smirked at Zephyr as Sunny pulled him from the room.

Aydan watched them leave and after the door was closed, he stood quietly for a few more moments. Then he spoke. "They're hiding something."

Zephyr, who had his head resting in his hand, never moved a muscle. "You don't say."

"Wait, you could tell?" Aydan sat down in a chair on the opposite side of the bed. His eyes wandered over Jaci and Jungkook and a tinge of jealousy trickled across his chest.

"Aydan, you can be both highly intelligent and daft all at the same time. Yes, of course I noticed. I heard Jaci comment about how she wasn't ready to be the Luna. I've noticed the skirting around the issue and the looks. Something is up with that pack and I will get to the bottom of it."

***

Jiho had foregone going home and instead sat in the back of a city bus, riding to wherever it was headed as long as it was nowhere near the looming fiasco. Her hands nervously clutched her bag and her left leg bounced up and down rapidly.

It wasn't like her to be this anxious. She had informed for the Society before and it had never bothered her. She always did her job as was expected of her, then walked away without a second thought of the targets. She was stoic, remorseless, and in the business for the protection it gave her.

However, that protection seemed to be dwindling.

The Chairman of the Hunter Society had walked with her that night not too long ago. His overwhelming presence sent Jiho's nerves on a race to see how long they could last. He was commanding in his presence, demanding with his words, and relentless when it came to what he felt was the right thing for the world - total and complete annihilation of all supernatural beings.

Jiho knew it would only be a matter of time before he found someone else to do what Jiho did. She was never secure in her position, but she never expected her time would be up so soon. She had to tiptoe around the dizzying maze of politics, species loyalty, informants, and snitches. She needed to trust no one. Not now. Not when a target could be put on her back at any moment.

Don't cross the Society.

She repeated this mantra to herself as the bus rolled down London streets. She needed to be good, to toe the line separating her from life and death.

When her phone buzzed in her purse clutched tight in her rigid fingers, Jiho startled and fumbled with her purse to find her phone. Pulling it out she groaned as she read the name. Taking a deep breath, she answered.

"Hoseok! To what do I owe this great pleasure?"

"What's going on there, Jiho?"

"Huh? I don't know—"

"You do too know. You know everything that goes on in that city. Stop hedging. Zephyr called to say he had an injured wolf, a pack mate of mine."

Jiho smiled widely so it could be heard in her voice. "Look, I gave your friends the info they needed and we parted ways. I haven't seen them since they got here."

"I know you're lying. But I'll deal with you later. I have to go."

Jiho heard a cluttered noise in the background of the call as Hoseok hung up. Her smile dropped quickly into a frown. Her hands fell to her lap and her head lowered. She was truly the lowest of the low. She was a liar, a two-timer, and she earned every title she had the hard way.

Leaning her head against the cold window, Jiho watched the cityscape pass by through her tears.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314 13 32
"𝑴𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒉𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒎 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔" . . . . . . Many years ago in a world filled with chaos, ther...
875 75 14
[COMPLETED] Jungkook and Jimin had to stay with Ji Ah and her family but they are not ordinary human beings. They have to hide the fact that they are...
4.9K 148 6
Joon:Y/N...please...g-get out of here. Don't worry...about me. J-Just go. He raised the knife in the air and jabbed it in Namjoon's heart. Y/N:NAMJO...
3K 287 26
A vampire, a werewolf. the werewolf has a mate and so does the vampire. Of course, it was each other. But what if the werewolf had another mate that...