Destination Reached

By imacrazyangel13

One plane ride could change your life. SOPHIA RANDALL likes her routines. She plans everything, down to the v... More

Destination Reached
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
JAKE
SOPHIA
JAKE

JAKE

66 4 11
By imacrazyangel13

I pulled back the curtains to reveal the sun rising steadily above the ocean. Unlike Sophia, I'd taken to waking up before my alarm even rang. Between the rooster crowing and the soft sound of the waves washing over the sand, it was as if my body had decided to attune itself with the nature surrounding it. I didn't mind. I'd always been an early riser. Both of my parents were, and to be honest, it was one of the few traits I didn't mind sharing with them.

In fact, some of my fondest memories with them, which were few and far between, had been on those weekend mornings when we'd all get up with the sun. My dad would make pancakes while my mother and I did the crossword at the kitchen table. Sometimes we'd go on a hike, and even though my dad would bring along the football, and my mother would quiz me about the different flora and fauna of the area, I didn't mind because it was fun. For me, mornings have always meant opportunity.

Besides, I enjoyed waking up before Sophia. It gave me a chance to make my bedhead look presentable, and more importantly, catch a glimpse of her adorable, half asleep, and exceedingly grumpy self when I dragged her out of bed. And I got to see her grateful smile when I handed her a cup of coffee.

After I got dressed in my typical work outfit: board shorts, loose t-shirt, and a generous layer of sunscreen (I was not making that mistake ever again), I checked my phone. I was pleased to see a slew of messages from Danny, and a text from Brooklyn. I was decidedly less thrilled to see emails from both Cambridge and BU, and seven missed calls altogether from my parents.

Danny: BABYSITTING?!

Danny: you must really be in love dude

Jake: Its not like I volunteered myself

Jake: you make me sound like a lovesick puppy or something

Danny: duh

Danny: you literally are

Brooklyn: call us! bea misses you! (and i do too i guess)

I sighed, feeling guilty as I read my stepsister's message. I know it would mean the world to her if I went there for university, and I didn't want to disappoint her. I didn't want to disappoint anyone.

"Jake!" I heard the distinct sound of Sophia's voice echoing through the house. I'd be lying if my heart didn't beat a little faster.

"Coming," I called back, shoving my phone in my pocket as I headed to the kitchen. I found Sophia sitting at the edge of the counter, spooning granola and yogurt out of a kitschy looking bowl that I knew without a doubt Abby had made in some pottery class. "Look at you, Little Miss Early Bird."

Sophia poked out her tongue at me, "Oh shut up, Sherlock."

"Good morning to you too, Randall," I laughed, tugging on her usual KVE ready ponytail as I passed. "You about ready to head out?"

She nodded, swallowing the last bit of her breakfast. I watched as she slung her backpack over her shoulder, and grabbed her baseball cap. She looked so damn cute in that hat, let me tell you.

Sophia was just cute all the time, really. In my opinion, at least. I let my mind drift back to that day on the couch when she told me to stay. When she told me she needed me. That had to be a sign. Didn't it?

Plus, just like— objectively speaking, we'd make such a hot couple. That picture Maia had posted the other day was proof, even if it did make me look a little like a dopey, starstruck goof. A very photogenic goof though.

Was stupid Tommy with the yellow heart that photogenic? Was he?

"Dude," Sophia waved a hand in front of my face, and I snapped back to attention.

"Hm?"

She laughed, tossing me the keys, "And you say I zone out all the time."

It was true. Sophia had a chronically adorable habit of losing herself in her own imagination. When I caught her staring out into space, which was often, I longed to be able to read her as well as I could read most everybody else. I wished I knew what she was thinking, but at the same time, I was so glad I didn't.

I clambered into the drivers seat, quickly connecting my phone to the Bluetooth before Sophia could get the chance. This was a daily fight of ours.

"Ha!" I crowed triumphantly, when it paired.

Sophia crossed her arms, "If you play the Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack again, I swear to god."

"Hey," I jutted my bottom lip out, wounded. "You like show tunes too, don't even."

"Says who?" she challenged, as I pulled out of the driveway and onto the road.

"Says the Wicked pin on your backpack," I informed her smugly.

Her mouth fell open, "It's not even visible. It's literally on the strap, how did you—?"

"Saw it on the plane," I shrugged nonchalantly, enjoying her expression of pure surprise. "While you were 'asleep'," I added, putting this last bit in clear vocal air quotes.

Sophia blushed, "Creep." Out of the corner of my eye I saw a soft smile spreading across her face, and she murmured, "You really remembered it from the plane?"

"Er— yeah," I mumbled, ducking my head. Now it was my turn to blush. I busied myself with the music again as I regained my bearings. I turned the volume up, waiting for Sophia's reaction as the voice of Kristin Chenoweth began to blare through the speakers.

I glanced at Sophia, noticing her lips twitching as she tried valiantly to keep a straight face. She was so stubborn sometimes. Her fingertips drummed involuntarily on the middle console, and I knew I had her.

"C'mon," I wheedled, humming the chorus. "You know you want to."

Sophia raised her chin in the air haughtily, "I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about."

"Popular..." She glared at me ferociously. "I know about Popular." Her foot was tapping now.

And with the assist from me to be who you'll be

Instead of dreary who you were

And then I heard it. The smallest whisper. "Well, are."

I grinned, "Sorry, what was that? I didn't quite catch—"

"There's nothing that can stop you from becoming Popular," she interrupted, suddenly in full performance mode. Her eyes flicked to me, sparkling with mischief, "Lar." And then Sophia was belting out those lyrics as loud as her lungs could take, and I was belting them right along with her. Danny liked musicals, so I knew— okay that's a lie.

I liked musicals. Danny tolerated them.

Before I knew it we had arrived at work. Maia and Kai's black jeep was already parked in the lot, surfboards strapped to the roof, and the telltale splatters of reddish mud up the side of the doors.

"Soph!" Maia shrieked, flying out of seemingly nowhere to pounce on Sophia. I had never once seen the spritely girl lacking energy, which made working with her that much more enjoyable. We made good team, Maia and I. Upbeat, engaging, and easily excitable. Though, albeit a little reckless. As much as I would miss working with her, I was eager at the possibility of being paired with Sophia for the next cycle, and was anxiously awaiting group assignments at the end of the day.

"Hey, man," greeted Kai, slapping me a high five. "Soph," he nodded at her with an easy smile. I was eternally grateful that things were strictly platonic between Kai and Sophia. I have to admit, I was a little worried when they were paired together. All that time spent together, and Kai was an attractive guy. Nice, funny, level headed. Thankfully, all of my concerns had dissipated almost immediately after the first day.

Just as well, considering most of my anxiety was centered around Tommy and the stupid yellow heart and the never-ending text messages.

I felt a tap at my shoulder. "All set for this afternoon, man?" Otis asked, clapping me on the back.

"All set," I nodded flashing him a thumbs up. I'm not going to lie, I was just the slightest bit nervous about the whole thing. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I was pretty great with kids. But this was a baby. And not just any baby. My boss's baby.

Otis chuckled, patting me reassuringly. "Relax, man. Ellery's a great kid. You'll do just fine." I nodded again, taking a deep breath to calm my nerves. I reminded myself that Sophia needed this.

"Hey," Sophia murmured, hand on my arm, "thank you for this."

Yup. I was doing this. How could I back out now with Sophia's blue blue eyes looking up at me with such gratitude.,

"You owe me so big," I reminded her with a teasing smile.

"Should I be scared?"

"Very," I grinned down at her. Was it just my imagination or did she look a little excited? It was probably just my imagination. But still!

"Remember to stick around after today's shift for the new pairing assignment," Otis called out in parting.

Maia saluted, "Sir, yes sir," then turned to Sophia, and declared "If we don't get paired together this time I will riot!"

"Gee," I deadpanned, throwing her a look, "I've loved working with you too, Maia."

"Like you would waste a second to ditch me if you got paired with Soph," she fired back smugly.

"Maia," I hissed, eyes wide and the tips of my ears warming.

"Am I wrong?" she said, arching an eyebrow. Of course she wasn't wrong. More than half of our conversations these past two weeks working together had been about Sophia. Which wasn't entirely my fault because Maia was the worst gossip ever and loved stirring the pot, which meant that she was always trying to meddle ever since she'd immediately figured out I had a thing for Sophia. But it was mostly my fault. She was my favorite topic, and it didn't help that she dominated ninety percent of my thoughts.

Kai saved me from having to answer. "Looks like my partner's in high demand," he said good-naturedly, winking at Sophia.

"Can you blame us?" I replied mischievously, locking eyes with her. She blushed. Maia rolled her eyes. Kai groaned.

It was a good moment.

"Did y'all hear we're getting new assignments today?" Ruby, Aspen, and Stacey appeared behind us.

"I hope we get to work together, Jake," Stacy gushed, beaming at me. She quickly amended, "I'll miss you guys though," halfheartedly gesturing at Kai and Sophia. I watched as they both stifled a laugh.

"Looks like you're in high demand too, Sherlock," Sophia muttered under her breath, as we headed up to the front office.

"Oh, shut up," I scoffed.

The groups would be arriving soon for their excursions. Today Maia and I were scheduled for the hiking and ropes course combo. The two of us were typically put with the ropes course groups, while Otis preferred Kai, Stacey, and Sophia for the kayaking, hiking, and more land and water based activities that were less...extreme. Ruby and Aspen were his designated horse back riding guides, and the more seasoned employees were usually chosen for the ATV tours.

Maia and I got back a little later than every one else because we had to take a small detour on the way back. It had rained so much the night before that our usual path was the slightest bit flooded, and our group was more risk averse than usual.

I barely had time to rinse off before Otis found me and told me to "get my handsome hiney to his house ASAP". His words, not mine.

I quickly grabbed the keys to the truck from my cubby, "You'll be okay getting a ride?"

Sophia shot me a thumbs up, "Maia and Kai are driving me to the studio to meet Abby."

"You sure?"

"I'm good, Jake," she reassured me, pushing me out the door. "Get going, and seriously—"

"If you thank me again, I'll kill you," I shouted, jogging to the car. I heard her laugh echoing behind me.

When I arrived at Otis's place, his wife, Megan was halfway at the door. I nodded, wide eyed as she rattled off emergency numbers and house rules to me, and pointed out a list on the fridge, and where the baby's snacks were. Ellery was in the middle of playing with her blocks when Megan left, so I sat down on the floor and joined her. We played for a while, and then I had to change her diaper. I was terrified she was going to pee on me, but crisis averted! Babies were really easy to talk to, as it turned out, and I found myself enjoying her company more than I had anticipated.

As the afternoon went on, Ellery's energy began to wane. She grew tired and started to get cranky, which made me a little nervous. I didn't want to mess this up. I debated taking her outside, but that had too many variables. Sunscreen, bugs, sharp objects, plants to put in her mouth, dirt. I decided to read to her. That worked for a little while, but she began to get antsy again.

I put her in her playpen for a moment, and she immediately started fussing. She wasn't full on crying yet, but I could tell she was on her way to it.

"Shhh," I soothed, picking her up again and rocking her, "it's okay, Ellery." I checked her diaper again, but that wasn't the issue. She'd had a nap before I got there. The only thing left was food.

I fixed her some yogurt and snack puffs, and sat her at the counter in her highchair. With her happily occupied, an idea struck me.

"Hey, Ellery," I bent down to her eye level. "Do you want to help me make some cookies?"

It might have just been me, but I could've sworn the baby's face lit up at the suggestion. I gathered all the ingredients, and gave Ellery a couple of her own spoons and pots to play with as I baked.

When she started to fuss again, I lifted her out of her chair and balanced her on my hip as I stirred. I heard the door opening and I frowned, Otis wasn't supposed to be home for another twenty minutes.

"Hello, Mrs. Doubtfire," a voice called into the house. Maia. Definitely. There were footsteps, three sets to be exact. One soft, and shuffling, another decisive and steady, and the third energetic and bouncy. Sophia, Kai, and Maia.

"What are you doing here?" I exclaimed, as they entered the kitchen, and all promptly stopped in their tracks. They stared at me, eyes big, and mouths open. Sophia's hand went to her heart, Maia blinked very rapidly, and Kai had ceased blinking altogether.

My brows drew together in confusion. "What?" I asked. Did I look weird I mean sure, I think there was some butter and flour streaked on my cheek from Ellery, and maybe in my hair too, but was it that bad? I hadn't made a huge mess or anything. Was something burning? Did Ellery's diaper explode? 'What is it?" I repeated, baffled at their dumbstruck silence.

"I think my ovaries just exploded," Maia whispered.

"Mine too," agreed Kai, shaking his head in disbelief.

HIs sister hit him across the shoulder, "You don't have ovaries dumbass"

"Well, not anymore."

"How are you even—?"Sophia started, then broke off. "I mean how do you just— are you even— how do you—? I can't even—" She sighed heavily, "You're not real."

"Huh?"

"You're so right, Soph," Maia nodded fervently, surveying the scene again. "He's not real."

"You're not real, man," Kai echoed.

"What am I then?" I said, looking at them like they were crazy, Which they were. "Pinocchio?"

"Oh c'mon," Sophia folded her arms. "You know what we mean."
"I really don't."

"You," she cried out. "You, and the baking, and the baby."

I shrugged, popping a chocolate chip in my mouth with my free hand, "So?"

"The perfectly placed streaks of flour in your hair and on your face, that are just messy enough to somehow make you look both hot and adorable?" Sophia added with a growl, sounding infuriated. "Like, what the actual hell?"

I smirked, "You think I'm hot and adorable?"

She glared at me. "We're moving on," she declared determinedly. "I'm recovering. I've recovered." The dark red flush on her cheek begged to differ.

"I haven't," Kai mumbled, and both girls elbowed him.

"In other news," Maia said grouchily, "we got our new assignments." In my rush to leave KVE, I'd completely forgotten about getting my schedule for the next two weeks. Maia didn't sound ecstatic about it. Which might mean that— I felt my heart rise in my throat.

I turned to Sophia, trying not to sound too hopeful, "So...?"

She smiled, "It's you and me, Sherlock."

It's you and me, Sherlock.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 92 23
Savannah is your typical teenage girl. She doesn't drink or do drugs. She has friends and a boyfriend who is the shittiest of the all. This all chang...
121K 2.4K 36
Avery Jones, younger sister of Callum Jones, grew up in a small town in Maine. A town where everyone knows everyone and everything. After the sudden...
1.3M 23.4K 33
When Dana Thomas's parents get divorced, and her aunt and uncle pass away, her mother decides it's time for a change - just in time for senior year o...
206 11 16
Kip and Lexy have been best friends since... Well, since forever. It's graduation day, and Kip gets a blast from the past, when she meets John, a my...