MaNan FF - Humesha : Book 2 [...

By WeirdFascinations

MaNan is back! After a turbulent college life, everyone is chasing their dreams and passions, while dealing w... More

Chapter 1 : Delhi Diaries
Chapter 2 : Back To My Love
Chapter 3 : Endgame
Chapter 4 : Conflicts
Chapter 5 : A Lovers' Spat
Chapter 6 : Celebrations!
Chapter 7 : Embracing The Reality
Chapter 8 : Chinese Whisper
Chapter 9 : F.R.I.E.N.D.S
Chapter 10 : Man and Wife
Chapter 11 : Fireflies and Stars
Chapter 13 : Shuru Hoon Tumse Hi, Aur Khatam Bhi Tumpe Hi
Chapter 14 : My Person
Chapter 15 : MaNan, Humesha and Forever!
HUMESHA BOOK 3 OUT!!

Chapter 12 : A Shoulder To Cry On

1.6K 139 6
By WeirdFascinations

"Are you mad?"

"Excuse me?"

"What? Actual question hai, are you mad?"

"What the hell are you saying?"

"This costs way too much, what is wrong with you?"

"Manik! Can you just accept the gift?"

"No! This is damn expensive, what were you thinking?" Manik scolded, pointing to the guitar in his hand.

"So I can't buy you a decent birthday gift now?! Is that how it is now?" Nandini snapped back, scrunching her eyebrows.

It was Manik's 27th birthday and they were having a party at the Malhotra farmhouse in Madh Island. Manik had dragged her to one of the bedrooms and started interrogating her.

"This guitar costs a lakh, you idiot!"

Nandini looked offended. This reaction of Manik was the last thing she had expected. She thought Manik would be happy and would not stop thanking her with his kisses. Her imagination had truly gone wild because Manik looked or did nothing like that.

"Idiot?! You call me an idiot? For gifting you a guitar you have been eyeing for months!"

"Toh tumne kyun khareed li? Nandini, you cannot spend your money like this! At least not on me."

"What? Toh kis pe karu?"

"I don't know...this just seems too much Nandini. I don't want you to spend such huge amounts on me..." Manik said, trailing off towards the end and looking so vulnerable that Nandini felt bad for getting pissed at him.

"So you can buy a Tiffany and Co. ring for me but I can't?" Nandini asked, sounding softer this time, trying to make Manik meet her eyes, but he didn't.

"Nandini, you know what I am talking about right? Amms ko bura nahi lagega...that you spent such a huge amount for a gift?" Manik asked, and for a moment, he sounded like a child who didn't think he deserved the best things in life, that he deserved happiness. Nandini didn't even wish to think about how an actual younger Manik would have been, staying locked up in his dark bedroom and being punished by Nyonika for the pettiest things.

"First of all, you don't even know how I bought it! I bought this guitar with the money I got from my parents' will. We got a huge amount, Manik. I did not want that money all to myself. I talked to Amms about this...she told me that Appa and Amma would have liked to give their son-in-law something as a gift. This guitar is like a gift from them. And obviously I won't spend my money carelessly Manik." Nandini said, sighing towards the end.

Manik didn't know what to say. He had always been someone who spent for others. As for himself, yes, as a Malhotra, he never had to worry about money. In fact he could stay at home for a year and still be comfortable. But with Nandini, that wasn't the case. She belonged to a middle class family who valued money a lot. Her spending a lakh for him was a huge thing. He didn't want her family to think she had to do all this to fit in with his family.

"Nandini...I-"

"Chhod do, Manik. Maine socha tha, Manik kitna khush hoga dekhkar! Lekin nahi, thank you kya? You didn't even smile. You looked at the gift and dragged me to this room. You didn't even smile outside in front of all our family and friends. Kaisa laga hoga unko?" Nandini said, and freed her arm from his grip and rubbed on the reddened skin, wincing at the way Manik's grip had hurt.

"Nandini, I am sorry, I didn't mean-"

"It's okay Manik, leave it na. Let's just go back."

"Nandini, can you please talk to me? Everytime you say it's okay, I know it's not. And there's everyone outside. I don't want to create a scene."

"What's there to talk about? I am not angry, I am just upset that I haven't been able to make you feel comfortable enough to think that you deserve good things too." Nandini said and walked out of the room, only to bump into Shreya, Manik's aunt.

"Nandini, where are you running to? Chalo chalo! I need to catch up with you." Shreya said.

There were less than two months to go for the wedding. Shreya decided to take a major part in the wedding. For her, Manik was like her own child and she didn't want him to feel the absence of a mother figure. She decided to stay in India for two months and witness the preparations.

"Bua I-"

"Chalo chalo!" Shreya dragged her towards the elders. Manik sighed in relief. In some minutes Nandini would calm down on her own. He didn't know where Nandini suddenly started thinking about all of that. He was amazed by the way Nandini had immediately guessed why he was upset with the gift.

He still wasn't used to people buying things for him, people who loved him unconditionally. For most of his life, everything he owned was either given because his father couldn't give him the time and affection he needed or that woman, who saw everything as give and take. Everything that had been given to him had always been at the cost of something.

So when Nandini gifted him the guitar he had really liked when they went on a random trip to the music store to buy some strings for his guitar, the first thought was that Nandini shouldn't have spent such a big amount on him.

But now that she had assured him that it was like a gift from his late in-laws, he smiled sadly, admiring the guitar in his hands.

'I'll always protect her and take care of her, Amma and Appa. I won't make Amms, Chacha, Chachi and Rishabh regret giving away their Nandu to me.'

-----

It was 3 AM, when everyone decided to rest. Nandini's uncle and aunt had left the party at 11 itself, while Rishabh stayed back with his sister. Nandini decided to stay because it was too late.

Manik was searching for Nandini all over the house and reached the swimming pool where he saw her sipping a drink. She rarely drank.

"Nandini?"

He saw her sigh and looked down.

"Nandini, I am really sorry." Manik said, sitting down beside her, by the edge of the pool.

"It's okay Manik." She said, in a tired voice, taking a sip from the bottle.

"Give that to me. Tumse nahi handle hogi." Manik said, trying to take the bottle away.

"Rehne do. I can." Nandini said.

"What happened? You look low."

Nandini looked at him with a tired expression. Manik noticed the lack of sleep in her eyes.

"I am scared."

"Of?"

"How the album will go. There are only three days remaining. I have been spending sleepless nights Manik."

"Tumne mujhe pehle kyun nahi bataaya? Am I a stranger now?" Manik felt really bad that Nandini didn't approach him about this. Nandini would call him sometimes to tell him the most random thing she heard or witnessed, so suddenly her not telling him felt so foreign.

"Tum bhi toh mujhe stranger jaise treat kar rahe ho. Not letting me buy something nice for you for once. Anyway, let it be. I didn't tell you about it kyunki tum nahi samajhte. I have seen you before the album launch. You look so calm and composed, because for you, it's like music flows in your veins. And you don't care about anything."

"Okay, ouch." Manik said, slightly offended by Nandini considering him callous.

"I...mean...I am the granddaughter of Kishori Murthy, known for her melodious voice in her days. I am almost Manik Malhotra's wife, who was a rockstar in his college days. I feel like people will talk."

Manik looked at her with a ridiculous expression. To him, she didn't make sense.

"That's bullshit."

Nandini looked at him with a frown.

"Tum kuch bhi bolti ho. For a smart woman like you, you don't make sense sometimes."

Nandini rolled her eyes.

"I don't know why you are insecure about your music. You shouldn't be. Suna hai khud ko kabhi? Your voice is very soothing. You know, when I started liking you, I hadn't heard your voice that much, but when I did, especially when you sang for me, with me, I fell more for you." Manik confessed.

Nandini looked at him, not knowing what to say. Manik was capable of shooing all her anxieties and worries away, just with his presence.

"Really?"

"Really. Meethi Boliyan? It was hard for me to accept that you were actually pretty good. Of course, that Manik wouldn't have accepted that."

Nandini chuckled and scooted closer.

"Nandini...thank you for the guitar. I love it. Especially the star design and a hidden 'M&N'. Creative."

"Thanks. I am glad you love it. Manik, jaise tum mujhpe bina soche spend karte ho, let me at least try. I like gifting you too."

"I know. I shouldn't have said things the way that I did. I am sorry."

"It's okay. So...there's a reason why I was a bit obsessed about the guitar."

"What?"

"I am planning to get back to music. Like, to the industry."

Nandini snapped her neck towards him as he confessed.

"What are you saying?! Aiyappa! This is not a prank na!"

"Arre hum main se itna vella nahi hai koi ki prank karte rahe. Why is this always your first reaction?"

"Because you pranked me with that fake break up thing, remember? I am scarred for life." Nandini said.

Manik would never forget that. He remembered how Mukti gave him a dare once, to do a fake break up prank on Nandini. Fortunately for Mukti and unfortunately for Manik, the couple had recently fought. So it was very believable. It only took five minutes for Manik to make Nandini cry. Scared of further consequences, he told her it was a prank, and Nandini actually threw him out of the house and didn't talk for an entire day.

"Yeah, I still regret that. Anyway, this is for real. I talked to dad about this. Actually, remember when we talked about music, while we were working on our song?"

"Oh yes!" Nandini replied excitedly.

"Tab se soch raha hu iss bare main. I don't think coming back to music would be that bad."

"This is perfect! I love you Manik! I am so happy that you initiated this." Nandini said, hugging him.

"I would also like to initiate this..." Manik suddenly changed the topic, leaning closer.

"What?" Nandini asked in a low voice, looking at his hands, which were grazing her arms.

Manik pulled her into his lap, taking her for a kiss. Nandini clutched his hair tightly, wrapping her legs tightly around his waist.

"Nandini...we can't...do it here." Manik said, breaking the kiss. Nandini almost laughed at how reversed the roles seem to be. It was always her reminding Manik about their surroundings. But at that moment, she just didn't give a damn.

Nandini looked to her right. Manik followed her gaze.

"No." Manik said.

"Yes." Nandini replied and stood up.

"We can't have sex in the store room!" Manik said.

"Why not? We can always do something new." Nandini suggested, shrugging.

"There is a reason why you shouldn't drink." Manik sighed.

"Just come. Don't be a killjoy. Don't you want birthday sex like every year?" Nandini asked, grabbing him by his collar.

"I do...but don't you think a bed would be better for us? Things get pretty rough sometimes."

Nandini said nothing and dragged him to the store room.

"Keys?"

"Under the mat." Manik replied.

"Smart."

She opened the door with the keys and looked for a proper place. There was an old couch.

"Perfect." Nandini said.

She latched the door and pulled Manik to the couch.

"Looks like I have to take the lead." Nandini said and went down on her knees.

-----

At 6 AM, after a short nap, Manik woke up. They had found a cozy blanket in one of the closets and used it.

"Nandini...subah ho gayi." Manik shook Nandini, smiling at the way she had curled up on the couch.

"Hmm."

"Wake up. We need to go inside." Manik said, getting up. He looked for his clothes.

"Yeah...Manik, I am cold, where are my clothes?"

"Down there. I'll get it." Manik got off the couch and picked up their clothes which were scattered in the spacious store room.

"I need some sleep." Nandini said.

"Yeah, we'll sneak in and then you sleep. But let's get out of here first." Manik said and they slipped out of the store room. It was drizzling a bit, as it was August.

Nandini decided to drink some water and headed to the kitchen, with sleepy eyes. She did not notice that the kitchen wasn't empty.

"Nandini...what happened?"

"Mukti? Tu yahan kya kar rahi hai?" Nandini asked instead, subtly trying her best to place her palm against the hickey on her neck.

"Coffee?"

"Why aren't you sleeping?"

"I heard a loud thunder so I woke up. What about you guys? I didn't see you two before going to sleep."

"We went for a walk."

"We went on a long drive."

Both of them replied together.

"You two had sex, got it." Mukti said with a straight face, rolling her eyes.

"Mukti!" Nandini snapped.

"What? Bachhe ho kya tum dono? Jhoot bhi bolne nahi aata." Mukti said.

"Nandini, you call me a one track mind. Have you seen this pervert?" Manik asked, scoffing and proceeding to pour a cup of coffee for himself.

"Pervert aur main? Very funny. If there is a pervert, it would be you tharki chokro. Your kinks are visible on Nandini's delicate skin." Mukti pointed to a very visible hickey on Nandini's cleavage.

"You two! Stop!" Nandini walked out of the kitchen, embarrassed. She wasn't that comfortable talking about her sex life like that. Mukti and Manik didn't mind teasing each other about such things.

----

Three days later.

Nandini watched the raindrops splatter against the windows. It was rainy in Mangalore.

"Nandini, seriously, can you come and see this?" Manik asked.

"Haan kanna! Come here. You have to see this." Amms insisted.

"I don't know if I am ready."

"Arre Nandu, hum sab bol rahe hai ki idhar aa aur tu yeh sab soch rahi hai? Chal aa yahan!" Shanno declared.

Nandini sighed and walked towards her family. They were huddled around Manik's laptop.

"Come, sit, watch." Manik said, making space for her.

Nandini watched the live comments on her videos. She saw a lot of likes and positive feedback.

"Is this for real?" Nandini asked.

"Nandi, everything is real." Venkatesh said, patting her head.

Nandini couldn't take her eyes off the screen. She kept reading comments and got hyped.

"They like it! They like the album." Nandini said, smiling.

"Of course they do!" Manik said, holding her hand to show that he was there with her.

Nandini finally switched on her phone and her phone went spastic with notifications from everywhere. Calls, messages, social media, and whatnot.

It was Nandini's plan to spend the day of the album launch in Mangalore, where her musical journey actually began. She felt more connected to her roots that way. Manik wanted to be with her in her special moment so he accompanied her. They also wanted to meet the wedding manager to talk about the wedding.

Two hours went in Nandini speaking to different people from the industry and her friends calling to congratulate her. Everyone watched her with pride.

"Kitni badi ho gayi hamari Nandu. Aisa lag rha hai jaise bas kuch saal pehle who Veena seekhne lagi, aur ab uska khudka album hai." Amms said emotionally.

"Be happy Amms, it's a special occasion."

"Manik, Nandini achanak itni badi ho gayi. Shaadi ho rahi hai meri bachhi ki." Shanno said, getting emotional too. Venkatesh comforted Shanno while Manik tried to calm Amms down.

"Achhi baat hai na. She is living such a good life. Be happy for her Amms. She is going to be very successful, trust me." Manik said.

"You are a very good boy, Manik. Meri Nandu ka bahut achha khayal rakhna." Amms said, holding Manik's hand.

Manik nodded, overwhelmed. He didn't know what to say as he was overcome by a lot of emotions too. Nandini was like his partner, best friend and a lover. Looking at her success made his chest swell with pride. Moreover, it was almost like they evolved together. They became adults together. So seeing her come this far obviously made him happy.

That night, they celebrated with a traditional South Indian dinner prepared by Amms and Nandini. After spending time with the elders, Manik and Nandini sat on the balcony.

"I can't believe that this is happening for real Manik!"

"You have to believe it then. You are good and you know it."

Nandini nodded, biting her lip.

"Kya hua?"

Nandini shook her head and turned her face away. Manik held her chin and made her look at him.

"Why are you crying?" Manik asked, worried.

"I miss Amma and Appa...I want them to be here with me." Nandini broke down, clutching his shirt. Manik caressed her back as she let go of her tears.

"You know they are always with you. You think they are not watching you and Rishabh? Look up, there they are." Manik pointed towards the clear sky, as the clouds had vanished for the night.

Nandini wiped her tears and looked at the starry sky, trying to look for her parents. It had been so long since she lost them, that their faces had started to fade. Looking at photos would definitely help, but the memories were so limited, that it was tough for her to keep them alive inside her soul.

"It's hard Manik...I feel so bad that they can't meet you. They can never know you. They'll never know what a wonderful person you are. Th..that they can't attend their daughter's marriage. Th..that they can't see their son working for a top-notch company...." Nandini expressed herself. Manik knew she was thinking about all this but didn't know the intensity of her thoughts.

"Nandini, they can never leave you. They are always watching you. They are in a better place, trust me. And about me, you think they don't know me? You think Appa will just let any random guy marry his Nandu? How did you land in Space? Isn't it Amma's theory...the firefly one? Why do you think fireflies glow for us?" Manik asked her.

Nandini thought about whatever he said. It felt real. Maybe, just maybe, her parents never really left her.

"Manik...I love you so much...I can't live without you. I cannot lose you at all. I barely got over the pain after Amma and Appa. If I lose you, I will die." Nandini said in a haze.

"Shut up Nandini. Don't say such things." Manik reprimanded her. He was too emotionally dependent on her to let her go.

"I just realized, the next time we leave Mangalore, you'll be Mrs. Nandini Manik Murthy Malhotra." Manik said, teasing her and trying to change the sombre mood.

"Oh...yes." Nandini wiped her tears and leaned on Manik's chest, trying her best to hear the rhythm of his heartbeats that always calmed her down. 

"How does it feel?"

"Exciting, scary and everything."

"I can't wait, Ms. Bride."

"Same."

"I love you Nandini."

"Love you too Manik."

----

Author's note -

Slightly emotional chapter...but much needed. Both of them needed to be vulnerable in front of each other and let it all out. Actually the guitar scene was originally different, it was going to end up in them fighting. But I decided to take a different turn just this morning and that is why it took a while to update. I ended up showing Manik to be vulnerable lol.

Anyway! Have a nice day everyone! 3 more chapters to go!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6M 252K 151
#01 in fanfiction on 23/02/18 Nandini murthy:-) A girl full of life and fun, wants to be independent and stand on her own feet. Loves her family. Man...
1.1K 181 4
Welcome to this world of Manan. This book includes a collection of various short stories of Manik and Nandini with interesting storylines. This will...
968K 51.5K 47
It's a manan story where two strangers eventually fall in love and get married after lot of twists and turns in their lives
91K 9.2K 57
#6 in Lifestory out of ~10K stories (June, 2021) When THE Nandini Murthy met Manik F*CKBOI Malhotra, during her undergrad days in New York, it was th...